A&A Classic Omnibus

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

rkjock1
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1992
Favorite character: VEI Dr. Mirage
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Roberto De La Torre
A&A Classic Omnibus

Post by rkjock1 »

Just found this link on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Archer-Armstrong- ... ant+comics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wonder what it would be like to be a lonely, muck-encrusted monster? Probably be an improvement.

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)
Re: A&A Classic Omnibus

Post by jeremycoe »

Awesome! Hopefully we'll get a Bloodshot omnibus soon.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

jaden_sai
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by jaden_sai »

Thank you for posting :thumb:

Very Happy to see another omnibus :clap:

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

yesssssss

mateo107
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite

Post by mateo107 »

the whole series in one place, this is great news!

Sunlight_on_Snow
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 1992 Unity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan

Post by Sunlight_on_Snow »

Nice! Can't wait to see what cover image they choose and recolor. Archer and Armstrong #0, I hope! :thumb:
"What was appealing about the moment would be, in time, the cause of its end. It was the first time I experienced an identifiable algodonic state. That is, I became capable of observing beauty while experiencing sadness simultaneously." -- Joshua Dysart, Imperium #3

omega_override
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2014

Post by omega_override »

jeremycoe wrote:Awesome! Hopefully we'll get a Bloodshot omnibus soon.
Wouldn't that be counter productive since Bloodshot is already apart of the "Valiant Masters" series?

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Super :thumb:

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sunlight_on_Snow

omega_override wrote:
jeremycoe wrote:Awesome! Hopefully we'll get a Bloodshot omnibus soon.
Wouldn't that be counter productive since Bloodshot is already apart of the "Valiant Masters" series?
Since the omnibus dimensions are oversized (right?), it would probably be fine. Marvel does its premium HC and then it's oversized HC, and then sometimes even omnibus editions on top of that, all of the same title. I would definitely love an oversized edition of the original Bloodshot series.

What cover do you guys want to see on the Archer&Armstrong omnibus?
"What was appealing about the moment would be, in time, the cause of its end. It was the first time I experienced an identifiable algodonic state. That is, I became capable of observing beauty while experiencing sadness simultaneously." -- Joshua Dysart, Imperium #3

bluedevil2002
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2015

Post by bluedevil2002 »

Wasn't there an issue with the X-O omnibus, because while the dimensions were oversized, the actual art wasn't?

hunter_peterson
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway

Post by hunter_peterson »

bluedevil2002 wrote:Wasn't there an issue with the X-O omnibus, because while the dimensions were oversized, the actual art wasn't?
I heard that too. Big misstep if that's the case.

Sunlight_on_Snow

hunter_peterson wrote:
bluedevil2002 wrote:Wasn't there an issue with the X-O omnibus, because while the dimensions were oversized, the actual art wasn't?
I heard that too. Big misstep if that's the case.
Yikes. I hope if that is true, it is corrected going forward with the other omnibus editions. Kinda defeats the point for me to not have the increase in page size.

1st Among Equals

Post by 1st Among Equals »

I remember someone saying it was because the best VEI has is scans of the original art, they haven't taken the time to convert the art digitally like marvel.

rkjock1
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1992
Favorite character: VEI Dr. Mirage
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite artist: Roberto De La Torre

Post by rkjock1 »

1st Among Equals wrote:I remember someone saying it was because the best VEI has is scans of the original art, they haven't taken the time to convert the art digitally like marvel.
Actually, my understanding is that they DON'T have most of the original art. Keep in mind VEI bought the old companies assets at a bankruptcy sale. And that was after Acclaim moved/consolidated the original offices. As such, their scans are from copies of the comics. This seems to be causing them problems in quality when they try to increase the size ratios. I asked at a panel about the cancellation of the EW Valiant Masters and was told then that the quality of the scans they had available created concerns for them putting that book together which is why they ultimately cancelled it.

So yes, the XO omnibus has standard size art (same size as in the Valiant Masters) with a black border to make the complete package oversized. Personally, I bought and read mine and I don't find it the least bit distracting. But then, I don't buy Omnibus editions for the size of the art, I buy them to have 25-30 issues all in one convenient binding.

Now that being said, the Q&W Omnibus did have oversized art, so we'll have to wait and see on this one. Either way, I'm excited and I'll be buying it.
I wonder what it would be like to be a lonely, muck-encrusted monster? Probably be an improvement.

bluedevil2002

Post by bluedevil2002 »

I just think that if you can't increase the size of the art, just make the book regular size. Is there a rule that books reprinting more than 25 issues have to be larger than 7x10?

jeremycoe

Post by jeremycoe »

bluedevil2002 wrote:I just think that if you can't increase the size of the art, just make the book regular size. Is there a rule that books reprinting more than 25 issues have to be larger than 7x10?
I think the issue would be if VEI is releasing a line of "Classic Omnibus" it would look bad if they were different dimensions from each other. They should line up on the shelf nicely.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

jeremycoe wrote:
bluedevil2002 wrote:I just think that if you can't increase the size of the art, just make the book regular size. Is there a rule that books reprinting more than 25 issues have to be larger than 7x10?
I think the issue would be if VEI is releasing a line of "Classic Omnibus" it would look bad if they were different dimensions from each other. They should line up on the shelf nicely.
Didn't someone show they have already had a deluxe collection that was slightly atypical in size? I could have sworn I remember seeing a picture to that effect. But then I am getting older and my memory is getting poorer!
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

jeremycoe

Post by jeremycoe »

leonmallett wrote:
jeremycoe wrote:
Didn't someone show they have already had a deluxe collection that was slightly atypical in size? I could have sworn I remember seeing a picture to that effect. But then I am getting older and my memory is getting poorer!
The goal is conformity. The execution may be a different matter. I think what you are remembering is the Shadowman deluxe edition is slightly less deep (shallower?) than the other deluxe editions.

Joshua
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot 1
Favorite character: Probably Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath Of The Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: Ryp

Post by Joshua »

Hmmm.. Was having a hard time on deciding whether to bind these issues. I will probably just buy the omni.

bluedevil2002

Post by bluedevil2002 »

jeremycoe wrote:
Just for the hypothetical argument's sake, then why did the first book have to be the bigger size? Why didn't they start out with a standard sized book?

jeremycoe

Post by jeremycoe »

bluedevil2002 wrote:
jeremycoe wrote:
Just for the hypothetical argument's sake, then why did the first book have to be the bigger size? Why didn't they start out with a standard sized book?
Because it's awesome! I don't know. I was in no way bothered by the borders on the X-O omnibus, so that issue doesn't really matter to me. I would guess if they can do the oversized artwork they will, if they can't there will be borders. Either way the books will be uniform in size - as much as possible.

Sunlight_on_Snow

Has anyone here done a direct quality comparison between the clarity of the artwork in the original issues versus the XO Omnibus? I don't own any of the OG hardcovers VEI has put out, but I once flipped through the first the very first VEI Harbinger HC and thought some of the pages looked not quite in focus.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

jeremycoe wrote:
bluedevil2002 wrote:
jeremycoe wrote:
Because it's awesome! I don't know. I was in no way bothered by the borders on the X-O omnibus, so that issue doesn't really matter to me. I would guess if they can do the oversized artwork they will, if they can't there will be borders. Either way the books will be uniform in size - as much as possible.
+1. I just want the collections and uniformity to the trade dress. Internal sizing is a bonus, but not necessary for me.

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991
A&A Classic Omnibus

Post by caxiotis »

Sunlight_on_Snow wrote:Has anyone here done a direct quality comparison between the clarity of the artwork in the original issues versus the XO Omnibus? I don't own any of the OG hardcovers VEI has put out, but I once flipped through the first the very first VEI Harbinger HC and thought some of the pages looked not quite in focus.
The very first harbinger hc called "the beginning" had very amateurish scans/coloring and everything looked blurry and off. (Gonna call this 1/5 quality). Sorry but it is true

I will say that the new valiant masters harbinger hc is the best reprint they put out. The paper is thick, glossy, and the scans/color are good. (Gonna call this 4/5 for quality, as I feel that the scans could still use some work). I would recommend anybody buy this book.

That being said I am not impressed with my x-o deluxe omnibus. I thought the paper was thin, also was not glossy, and scans were 3/5 quality. I didn't have a problem with the black borders.

I really think for the $100 that the x-o omnibus should have been better quality, therefore I am not interested in the a&a omnibus unless it is like the quality of the harbinger valiant masters
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

Sunlight_on_Snow

caxiotis wrote:
Sunlight_on_Snow wrote:Has anyone here done a direct quality comparison between the clarity of the artwork in the original issues versus the XO Omnibus? I don't own any of the OG hardcovers VEI has put out, but I once flipped through the first the very first VEI Harbinger HC and thought some of the pages looked not quite in focus.
The very first harbinger hc called "the beginning" had very amateurish scans/coloring and everything looked blurry and off. (Gonna call this 1/5 quality). Sorry but it is true

I will say that the new valiant masters harbinger hc is the best reprint they put out. The paper is thick, glossy, and the scans/color are good. (Gonna call this 4/5 for quality, as I feel that the scans could still use some work). I would recommend anybody buy this book.

That being said I am not impressed with my x-o deluxe omnibus. I thought the paper was thin, also was not glossy, and scans were 3/5 quality. I didn't have a problem with the black borders.

I really think for the $100 that the x-o omnibus should have been better quality, therefore I am not interested in the a&a omnibus unless it is like the quality of the harbinger valiant masters
This is really good feedback. Thanks for sharing, and I'm with you. I own most of these stories in the original issues, so for me personally the only reason to get the new HC collections is if they look as good or better than the originals in some way. If the goal is to provide this material to new fans and they are limited to scanning the old books, maybe economy tpb editions would be a good idea.