Unity .... what does it MEAN?!!

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

VEI Reborn
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Re: Unity .... what does it MEAN?!!

Post by VEI Reborn »

Rufusharley wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:I don't know if this has ever been asked. But since Erica Pierce is a Solar character, does VEI even have rights to her? Or do they only not have rights to Solar himself?
As a VALIANT character rather than Gold Key she should be fair use for VEI; replacing Solar in her origin would be necessary unless VEI acquired the GK license.

I sincerely believe that VEI do not need the GK 3 in any way now, and hope they don't pursue the license. But hey, I have been seriously wrong about VEI before now... :P
i agree.

I agree that they do not need the GK and Im glad they arent back ...currently. I would really like to see them back where they belong but not in the next 2-3 years. Down the line I would be pumped to see them back in action

MrDomino
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Faith
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by MrDomino »

I posted this in the facebook group a while back, but I think it would be interesting to see this new, considerably less benevolent-seeming Sandria emerge as a new Mothergod - perhaps attempting to control all the various "houses of power" to oppose her brother - the right thing for the wrong reasons. That would involve just about everybody in various capacities (and perhaps also introduce us to 4001 through "Chronomantic" energy).
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Thedinosaur
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Turok
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by Thedinosaur »

I'd love to see all the old GK characters back. To me, they were as much a part of the Valiant Universe as the original characters. I especially liked the relationship between Turok and X-O. Two warriors from the past, having to make their way in, what was to them, the future. To me, though, the highlight of Unity was the return of Turok.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Thedinosaur wrote:I'd love to see all the old GK characters back.
You wouldn't be the only one. Magnus would be a welcome addition, I loved the recurring theme of free will.

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Brother Darque »

jmatt wrote:
You wouldn't be the only one. Magnus would be a welcome addition, I loved the recurring theme of free will.
i'd just like to see the Solar, Magnus, & Turok reprinted as valiant masters.

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

jmatt wrote:
Magnus is the one I'd miss the least.
I didn't read past about issue 20 the first time, Acclaim the first 4-6 issue arc and the Dark Horse 4 issues to me felt like a chore.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

I'd love to have Solar back, and Magnus was great. I could take or leave Turok. I think he worked better as a supporting character.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

lorddunlow wrote:I'd love to have Solar back, and Magnus was great. I could take or leave Turok. I think he worked better as a supporting character.
Agreed!

MrDomino
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Faith
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by MrDomino »

Captain Craig wrote:
jmatt wrote:
Magnus is the one I'd miss the least.
I didn't read past about issue 20 the first time, Acclaim the first 4-6 issue arc and the Dark Horse 4 issues to me felt like a chore.
Aw, man, you missed out on the really good stuff, then! Issue 21 was where John Ostrander's 31-part Malev war storyline that crossed over with Rai started. It was epic. One of my favorite pieces of classic Valiant.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

SJS4
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by SJS4 »

Have to admit the Malev war epic was pretty good, but personally i am not a fan of Magnus. After the original Rai was killed i never really connected with other 4001 characters.

I do like Turok and the Lost Land, and Solar was my favorite of the GK3 in VH1. In the Dark Key series Turok was my favorite though.
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

MrDomino wrote:Issue 21 was where John Ostrander's 31-part Malev war storyline that crossed over with Rai started. It was epic. One of my favorite pieces of classic Valiant.
I reread the Malev War some months back and it was twice as good as I remembered. Back when it first came out, I was still stung with the change in Rai, but if you can get past that, it's terrific in so many ways.

Captain Craig

Post by Captain Craig »

SJS4 wrote: In the Dark Key series Turok was my favorite though.
For me it was a toss up between Turok and Samson. But since Samson isn't a VALIANT character, yeah Turok was my fav of the VH1 GK3.

I lobby for Samson to join the Valiant U though.

swtor1091
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: May 2012
Favorite character: Flamingo
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong

Post by swtor1091 »

My question on the new unity IF that is what this post is about haha is.... Are all the heroes going to be involved... Shadowman, Q&W,A&A, XO, Harbinger, Hard corps and bloodshot, EW, and whoever else is around at time OR like Harbinger Wars is it only going to focus on maybe two or more heroes like XO and EW. I find it hard to imagine that within the span of six months that we will get a XO and shadowman cross over to me that sounds like a big stretch... and didnt I read an interview with Justin Jordan or someone where he said something like, "Dr.Mirage is going to play a big part in the next event for Valiant," If I remember that correctly that would mean that she has to be put in the forefront in soon... six months isnt long in real life and it even is shorter in comic books where only one issue comes out a week... sorry for the :rant: but does anyone agree with me....
A shameful plug to the book i am currently writing. Please like my page so when I try to publish it I already have a following... https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Blac ... 9693235948" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

swtor1091 wrote:My question on the new unity IF that is what this post is about haha is.... Are all the heroes going to be involved... Shadowman, Q&W,A&A, XO, Harbinger, Hard corps and bloodshot, EW, and whoever else is around at time OR like Harbinger Wars is it only going to focus on maybe two or more heroes like XO and EW. I find it hard to imagine that within the span of six months that we will get a XO and shadowman cross over to me that sounds like a big stretch... and didnt I read an interview with Justin Jordan or someone where he said something like, "Dr.Mirage is going to play a big part in the next event for Valiant," If I remember that correctly that would mean that she has to be put in the forefront in soon... six months isnt long in real life and it even is shorter in comic books where only one issue comes out a week... sorry for the :rant: but does anyone agree with me....
It could be that if Unity was the event referred to that she plays a big role IN the story, whil being slowly, maybe even subtly, built up beforehand rather than being a big thing now to be a big thing in Unity.

Engineering a pretext for crossover should not take months - it only takes the right lead-ins; and I suspect each title will have a lead-in arc deigned to position its characters for Unity.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Captain Craig

Post by Captain Craig »

swtor1091 wrote:My question on the new unity IF that is what this post is about haha is.... Are all the heroes going to be involved... Shadowman, Q&W,A&A, XO, Harbinger, Hard corps and bloodshot, EW, and whoever else is around at time OR like Harbinger Wars is it only going to focus on maybe two or more heroes like XO and EW. I find it hard to imagine that within the span of six months that we will get a XO and shadowman cross over to me that sounds like a big stretch...
Explain? What 6 mo are you referring to? What would those months matter? By the time Unity is alleged to start, about November, XO will be around issue 20 and Shadowman issue 13/14. Not like either book is new, central characters unexplored.

Help me out here cause I need context why the next 6 months would make it "hard to imagine" they could hook up.

swtor1091
Valiant fan since: May 2012
Favorite character: Flamingo
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong

Post by swtor1091 »

to answer your question i find it hard for them to team up because they are sooooo different and shadowman hasn't even mentioned PRS or anything yet from teh other Valiant titles like the others have so far
A shameful plug to the book i am currently writing. Please like my page so when I try to publish it I already have a following... https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Blac ... 9693235948" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blujay
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 2011
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by blujay »

leonmallett wrote:
Aram wrote:Phil Seleski emerges from the reactor with amazing powers and Toyo Harada threatened by his power and the destruction he seemingly caused labels him "The Destroyer".

Poof theres your intro into completely owned and familiar valiant owned property.
Oh it can be done, and that premise would be interesting - but truly what value would it add is what I ask?

Characters with god-like power sets are a tricky sell in context of a more 'grounded' setting.
He doesn't necessarily have to have god like power, if they ever do bring Solar back I'd prefer that they nerf him a bit

Captain Craig

Post by Captain Craig »

swtor1091 wrote:to answer your question i find it hard for them to team up because they are sooooo different and shadowman hasn't even mentioned PRS or anything yet from teh other Valiant titles like the others have so far
All it takes is one or two issues to bridge the name drop gap then, based on your own statement, 'just mention them'.

If commonality or similarity of powers was part of requirement for superhero team ups then Spidey would never cross with Man-Thing or Dr.Voodoo---but he has. They make stories to bridge the gaps that are there. Wait for it.

leonmallett
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Captain Craig wrote:
swtor1091 wrote:to answer your question i find it hard for them to team up because they are sooooo different and shadowman hasn't even mentioned PRS or anything yet from teh other Valiant titles like the others have so far
All it takes is one or two issues to bridge the name drop gap then, based on your own statement, 'just mention them'.

If commonality or similarity of powers was part of requirement for superhero team ups then Spidey would never cross with Man-Thing or Dr.Voodoo---but he has. They make stories to bridge the gaps that are there. Wait for it.
:thumb:
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Had a random thought over the weekend about "Unity .... what does it MEAN?!!"

WHAT IF...

Unity is a stand-alone story that explains how/why the original Valiant universe is/isn't the current Valiant universe?

Something that "unifies" the current Valiant universe with the "Valiant Masters" universe continually being reprinted.

:hm:

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

greg wrote:Had a random thought over the weekend about "Unity .... what does it MEAN?!!"

WHAT IF...

Unity is a stand-alone story that explains how/why the original Valiant universe is/isn't the current Valiant universe?

Something that "unifies" the current Valiant universe with the "Valiant Masters" universe continually being reprinted.

Ooohh... I like that idea. :hm: indeed
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

greg wrote:Had a random thought over the weekend about "Unity .... what does it MEAN?!!"

WHAT IF...

That might require a little too much GK...
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

SJS4

Post by SJS4 »

Reminds me too much of Unity 2000...
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

SJS4 wrote:Reminds me too much of Unity 2000...
Which was never finished... so... it too needs some closure. :lol:

Captain Craig

Post by Captain Craig »

How many issues of Unity 2000 saw the newsstand? Out of how many?

Bugsy, what is GK?

I don't think VEI is going to try and reconcile 90's VU, Acclaim and theirs together. Way, way too much to sort out.
It'd be nearly like Crisis '86 in some way.