Unity .... what does it MEAN?!!

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Unity .... what does it MEAN?!!

Post by bygranddesign »

:?

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Re: Unity .... what does it MEAN?!!

Post by lorddunlow »

Becoming one? Being together? United?
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Do I need to quote my dictionary?

Oh, you mean in relation to VALIANT...? :P
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

I hope it means another very sure step.

Part of me suspects we may see an enemy of my enemy is my friend situation (Harbingers together - Pete and Toyo and X-O and their other buddies vs the combined might of the 1% and the other forces vying for control in that dark cabal including the Vine), but then the other thing that nags at my brain is maybe this is the way into 4001, or 4012 or whatever year Rai could be in. And of course if that, then Rai is not likely to be alone if such a thing happened - Psi-Lords would be obvious, and if only there was a way to link present and future books, maybe with a time walking character...?

Not sure how probable futuristic books are; those kind of books have always been a harder sell in the comics market as a whole.

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

I see Q&W having an appearance by Ninjak (as a means to rid the Vine on earth - re: XO #8) before joining up with the Renegades shortly after Harbinger Wars (as we see something that looks like a ruined Las Vegas in the Q&W #1 preview). I like the suggestion of Harada and Pete joing up to fight a common foe. Bloodshoot and HARD Corps will be interesting in this scenario as are they going to be on the hunt for the Renegades? Could Bloodshot end up worse off in Unity?

Dont much much about A&A and EW - we know that Eternal Warrior and XO collide in XO#15, I looking forward to reading that so ther are some linkages there...especially with the whole Ninjak/XO connection likely to be revisited.

Shadowman is really the odd one out. I havent read anything yet that links the title to the broader Valiant Universe... unless I'm missing something.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

leonmallett wrote:I hope it means another very sure step.

Part of me suspects we may see an enemy of my enemy is my friend situation (Harbingers together - Pete and Toyo and X-O and their other buddies vs the combined might of the 1% and the other forces vying for control in that dark cabal including the Vine), but then the other thing that nags at my brain is maybe this is the way into 4001, or 4012 or whatever year Rai could be in. And of course if that, then Rai is not likely to be alone if such a thing happened - Psi-Lords would be obvious, and if only there was a way to link present and future books, maybe with a time walking character...?

Not sure how probable futuristic books are; those kind of books have always been a harder sell in the comics market as a whole.
I'd imagine Gilly will be in the future books.

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Hmmm.... If Unity starts in Winter... say December or so... and ran as a six month limited series with or without some crossover from other titles, then when it ended in May it would be a perfect time to spin out any new characters like Rai or Psi-Lords (if Unity opened up the year 4,000 timeline) for next years 3rd Summer of Valiant! :hm:
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

bygranddesign

Post by bygranddesign »

I think we are starting to get a general idea of what Unity could be ... but its going to be fun connecting the dots and seeing how they tie everything together for this momentous event

From interviews and following along with the storylines it seems like the following looks to be important to unity

1) Rai - Even though he is one of the most popular characters of VH1, he hasn't been introduced yet. What better way to introduce such an important character than through Unity.

2) 4001 Timeline - Similar to Rai this is important to the history of the Valiant Universe. We know that this is something that the powers that be are working hard on and trying to get right. Unity most likely will be our introduction to the new 4001 timeline.

3) X-O Manowar/Planet Death - Something in X-O will be important to Unity (this has been revealed in interviews). Perhaps the official origin of Shanhara might be important to Unity. The armor is really ADVANCED technology; Maybe something that could have been created in 4001? :hm: Also, the Torment seem like world devouring villains that could unite heroes (and some villains) against a common foe. Finally even though it was the 1st title introduced, X-O has yet to get a #0 issue, That issue might be important to Unity and Tie directly into the crossover (again the origin of Shanhara).

4) The Faraway - This is the Lost Land of the new universe. Its mysterious. Its strange. Its futuristic. Its prehistoric. Its alien. Its got items of IMMENSE power (the boon). Seems like the perfect place for an all out battle that will unite heroes, villains, aliens and timelines.

5) Bloodshot - "the blood of heroes". Bloodshots nanite infused blood should be important to the origin of Rai and the future of the Valiant Universe. Not sure if this will tie directly into Unity but most certainly will be important to the 4001 timeline.

6) Archer, the Anni Padda Brothers and The Boon - The Anni Padda brothers were the first mortal man to discover the Faraway. They set off the Boon which was a huge event 4000+ years ago. That event and what it did to the brothers will be important tie into the story. Ivar the Time Walker has been slowly introduced in this universe and I would suspect would be a huge part of this event and perhaps uniting the timelines. Archer is a wildcard ... he was a mystery to the Geomancer ... so we know he has untapped power and infinite possibilities.

7) Peter Stanchek "the Great Destroyer" and The Bleeding Monk - The Bleeding Monk and his visions of Peter as "The Great Destroyer" and his precognitive powers will I think be integral to the Unity story. Could this be the event in which Peter loses all control?

8) Shadowman, the Deadside, Lyceum, Master Darque - still wondering how these things will tie into the Unity Event (if it does at all). Master Darque was on a quest for power where he traveled to different realms learning from them and then destroying them. The Faraway would be a great place for him to continue his education....
Last edited by bygranddesign on Thu May 23, 2013 11:49:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

bygranddesign

Post by bygranddesign »

Bl00dsh0t wrote:
Shadowman is really the odd one out. I havent read anything yet that links the title to the broader Valiant Universe... unless I'm missing something.
Your right ... it will be interesting whether Shadowman will just be a Hero thrown in the mix or whether his role will be integral to the story. And what if any role will be played by Master Darque, Sandria, The Deadside and Lyceum will play in the event. Lyceum part of the Faraway?

Burrito Boy
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

bygranddesign wrote:
4) The Faraway - This is the Lost Land of the new universe. Its mysterious. Its strange. Its futuristic. Its prehistoric. Its alien. Its got items of IMMENSE power (the boon). Seems like the perfect place for an all out battle that will unite heroes, villains, aliens and timelines.

That bit where you say "It's futuristic. It's prehistoric." makes me wonder if the Faraway is a pocket dimension created by somebody--Erica Pierce perhaps--to collect all the cool stuff from Earth's timeline. :hm:

bygranddesign

Post by bygranddesign »

Burrito Boy wrote:
bygranddesign wrote:

That bit where you say "It's futuristic. It's prehistoric." makes me wonder if the Faraway is a pocket dimension created by somebody--Erica Pierce perhaps--to collect all the cool stuff from Earth's timeline. :hm:
yeah, good point ... I'm completely clueless as to whether Erica Pierce/MotherGod will play a role at all in this new universe. Her origin is directly tied into Solar so i'm not sure how they will work her into this universe. It will be awesome if they can because I loved that character. But if she was going to be a part of Unity you would think she would have been introduced already ... perhaps instead of being the main Villain this time around her character will be born from the ashes of the event..? It wouldn't feel like Unity without the Erica Pierce character somehow involved ... :hm:

bygranddesign

Post by bygranddesign »

Phoenix8008 wrote:Hmmm.... If Unity starts in Winter... say December or so... and ran as a six month limited series with or without some crossover from other titles, then when it ended in May it would be a perfect time to spin out any new characters like Rai or Psi-Lords (if Unity opened up the year 4,000 timeline) for next years 3rd Summer of Valiant! :hm:
yeah I could see the Summer of Valiant 2014 being the introduction to the Future of Valiant ... and perhaps 3 4001 timeline titles will be introduced ... Rai being the 1st, Psi-Lords and maybe a brand new character ... or maybe a re-imagined Armorines set in the future..?

bygranddesign

Post by bygranddesign »

lorddunlow wrote:Becoming one? Being together? United?
:lol: but what does that meeeeeaan?! (stomps up and down)

Burrito Boy

Post by Burrito Boy »

bygranddesign wrote:
When two comic book characters love each other very much...

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Burrito Boy wrote:
bygranddesign wrote:
:funnypost:
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

I don't know if this has ever been asked. But since Erica Pierce is a Solar character, does VEI even have rights to her? Or do they only not have rights to Solar himself?

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:I don't know if this has ever been asked. But since Erica Pierce is a Solar character, does VEI even have rights to her? Or do they only not have rights to Solar himself?
As a VALIANT character rather than Gold Key she should be fair use for VEI; replacing Solar in her origin would be necessary unless VEI acquired the GK license.

I sincerely believe that VEI do not need the GK 3 in any way now, and hope they don't pursue the license. But hey, I have been seriously wrong about VEI before now... :P

Donovan
...formerly The Beyonder
...formerly The Beyonder
Valiant fan since: Unity. The first time.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: VEI Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Romulo Fajardo

Post by Donovan »

bygranddesign wrote:.... what does it MEAN?!!
It's a full on, double rainbow. All across the sky.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

bygranddesign wrote:
Bl00dsh0t wrote:
Your right ... it will be interesting whether Shadowman will just be a Hero thrown in the mix or whether his role will be integral to the story. And what if any role will be played by Master Darque, Sandria, The Deadside and Lyceum will play in the event. Lyceum part of the Faraway?
In Shadowman #0, Darque "sucks the life out" of the people near him and uses it to make both himself and his sister live to be at least 200 years old.
Darque essentially became the Boon without needing all the pieces.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

greg wrote:
In Shadowman #0, Darque "sucks the life out" of the people near him and uses it to make both himself and his sister live to be at least 200 years old.
I could be the boon. I'd still have to bum rides off of people.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

bygranddesign

Post by bygranddesign »

greg wrote:
bygranddesign wrote:
Bl00dsh0t wrote:
I know he sucked the life out of everyone around him to bring Sandria back from the dead ... but are we sure that is why they both live for so long? It makes sense if that's true ... Maybe Justin Jordan can chime in and confirm 100% if he is lurking about :)

On a side note ... Do the Brethren obtain their powers from the souls trapped in the Deadside? I'm not sure if JJ really delved into this too much yet (need to re-read the 1st arc)... but it sort of came to mind with the whole life from life theme of #0. In order for the Brethren to wield so much power and gifts ..they have to kill people/banish them to the deadside and tap into that deadside power source.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Burrito Boy wrote:
bygranddesign wrote:
Isn't that how we got Deathmate? Solar the Explorer and Void?

Burrito Boy

Post by Burrito Boy »

Chiclo wrote:
Burrito Boy wrote:
bygranddesign wrote:
Isn't that how we got Deathmate? Solar the Explorer and Void?
:lol: facepalm

I hadn't thought of that. Now I'm sorry I said anything. :oops:

:P

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

bygranddesign wrote:
Bl00dsh0t wrote:
The Bretheren could be related to the 1% and the Sect in some way. That would be another connection along with the life draining/Boon connection I was going to mention.

We also have a possible connection between the Akashic record, the Vine Gatherings and the Lyceum as depositories of all knowledge/separate planes of existence.

Then there is the Deadside, which borders many realities and could be another access point to the Lost Land.

There also seems to be a connection between the Necromantic energy "magic" in Shadowman and the Geomancer's ability.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Rufusharley
donkey-shorts!..uhh i mean..danke schön!
donkey-shorts!..uhh i mean..danke schön!

Post by Rufusharley »

leonmallett wrote:
Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:I don't know if this has ever been asked. But since Erica Pierce is a Solar character, does VEI even have rights to her? Or do they only not have rights to Solar himself?
As a VALIANT character rather than Gold Key she should be fair use for VEI; replacing Solar in her origin would be necessary unless VEI acquired the GK license.

I sincerely believe that VEI do not need the GK 3 in any way now, and hope they don't pursue the license. But hey, I have been seriously wrong about VEI before now... :P
i agree