Doctor Solar Origin Story For Dark Horse

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

sanman
I can feel the custom bug
I can feel the custom bug

Post by sanman »

I'll be keeping my eyes open when it hits the shelves. :thumb:

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

StarBrand wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
comicsyte95 wrote:If the new Solar origin issues are even 1 tenth as good as Alpha & Omega or Rai #0 itll be way better then anything Marvel or DC is putting out (even though im enjoying Green Lantern now)now.If they are that good i can feel the hoarding instinct taking over. :D
And, if they're that good, I feel the whole line getting a bump. :)
Maybe, but it would help if the titles were solidly tied into each other like we had with Valiant.
How long was it after Valiant was launched before the titles tied into each other? :hm:
It was pretty early on. Solar and Magnus met in issue #6

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
comicsyte95 wrote:If the new Solar origin issues are even 1 tenth as good as Alpha & Omega or Rai #0 itll be way better then anything Marvel or DC is putting out (even though im enjoying Green Lantern now)now.If they are that good i can feel the hoarding instinct taking over. :D
And, if they're that good, I feel the whole line getting a bump. :)
Maybe, but it would help if the titles were solidly tied into each other like we had with Valiant.
Agreed :thumb:

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

JCVaughn wrote:
Ryan wrote:It will be hard to top Alpha & Omega, especially around here ;).

I'm curious what the page count will be. You wouldn't think the back-ups would be more than 8 pages... x 4 issues = 32 pages. Guess that would be about right for a '0' issue. Hey JC do you remember what the page count was?
It was originally 32 pages, but being serialized I think that Jim would probably have added a few to what I read or at least modified it slightly for the chapter breaks...

And by the way, I always thought Solar #0-10 was about the best science I'd ever read in a superhero comic. Until this.

I'm really going to be interested to see it drawn.

Looking forward to it.

I recently bought back-issues of the current Solar title (#1-3), and enjoyed them.......It started off a bit "iffy," in that I didn't know if I'd want to follow the title, but the storyline progressed well. The stuff with Pickerel creating Susan, then having everything sort of backfire after creating/summoning Moloch, was great.......Especially with Moloch muscling in and ordering Pickerel around, then raping Susan at his leisure. I know it's wrong, but that had me rolling.

That said, the artwork in #1 didn't appeal to me. I found Calero did great with still-shots, but the action scenes looked horrible.....I much preferred Robinson, the artist in issues 2 & 3.

Valiant's Solar title was better than the current Dark Horse version, but I've only read issues 1-3, and it seems like the current title has a lot of potential. I'm going to head out and get issues 4 & 5 sometime this week, and I'll definitely be following this title for as long as Shooter's writing it.

As for release delays, I'm of the type who couldn't care less about that. I'd rather have a superior product than a rush-job with fill-in artists galore.
Last edited by Savant on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:15:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Savant

Post by Savant »

Also, I was wondering what you guys were referring to when mentioning "Alpha and Omega".......I did a search on an online shop, and noticed I could have spent $11-$12 for a 2nd printing of that tpb, rather than the $45 I spent on the single issues of Solar #1-10.

Oh, well.........

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Savant wrote:Also, I was wondering what you guys were referring to when mentioning "Alpha and Omega".......I did a search on an online shop, and noticed I could have spent $11-$12 for a 2nd printing of that tpb, rather than the $45 I spent on the single issues of Solar #1-10.

Oh, well.........
Alpha and Omega refers to the origin 'backup" story that was included in issues 1-10 of Solar. Second death is the collected main story in issues 1-4.

Savant

Post by Savant »

Thanks for the clarification. I don't feel so bad after all.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

No problem, glad to help.

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

Savant wrote:Thanks for the clarification. I don't feel so bad after all.
Welcome to the Boards !!! :thumb:

arromdee
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by arromdee »

JCVaughn wrote: And by the way, I always thought Solar #0-10 was about the best science I'd ever read in a superhero comic. Until this.
In fact this story has terrible science. There are minor things, but one of the bigger ones is that when we speak of a black hole "evaporating", that means that the black hole releases all its energy in a burst of radiation. It doesn't mean it disappears without side effects in the way that a puddle of water evaporates.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

arromdee wrote:
JCVaughn wrote: And by the way, I always thought Solar #0-10 was about the best science I'd ever read in a superhero comic. Until this.
In fact this story has terrible science. There are minor things, but one of the bigger ones is that when we speak of a black hole "evaporating", that means that the black hole releases all its energy in a burst of radiation. It doesn't mean it disappears without side effects in the way that a puddle of water evaporates.
I think I can overlook the bad science used as a plot device in this one because the specific bad science plot devices are not overused in cheap science fiction. Black holes are often used as plot devices but rarely is time dilation cited as one of those properties.

It would be possible for a black hole to evaporate like a puddle of water. That is what Hawking radiation is.

If you want a really good example of black hole junk science, look no farther than that 2009 theatrically released Star Trek fanfic. I think the writers of that blemish on a great legacy had no idea what a black hole is or does.

arromdee

Post by arromdee »

Chiclo wrote:
It would be possible for a black hole to evaporate like a puddle of water. That is what Hawking radiation is.
No, because Hawking radiation is still radiation. When the black hole evaporates, the entire energy/mass content of the black hole is released as Hawking radiation.

An 80 kg black hole would destroy the United States by evaporating.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

arromdee wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
No, because Hawking radiation is still radiation. When the black hole evaporates, the entire energy/mass content of the black hole is released as Hawking radiation.

An 80 kg black hole would destroy the United States by evaporating.
Hawking radiation can be a slow process. It doesn't happen all at once and it is not generally something that will cause a black hole to dissolve rapidly.

80kg? Enough to blow up the lower 48? 80 kg is not much. It is a pretty straightforward application of E=mc^2. It would take quite a bit to destroy the US.

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

I don't want to dismiss the science part by saying "hey it's just a comic" but if this Solar is anything like the last Solar then all of that energy that should cause problems is going to be taken care of by Phil absorbing it, or wishing it to stop, or "makes him" Super-powered, right? :?

arromdee

Post by arromdee »

Chiclo wrote: Hawking radiation can be a slow process. It doesn't happen all at once and it is not generally something that will cause a black hole to dissolve rapidly.
If the black hole took millions of years to evaporate, sure. But in context this was about evaporating in a couple of seconds or minutes. That would still fry everything.
80kg? Enough to blow up the lower 48? 80 kg is not much. It is a pretty straightforward application of E=mc^2. It would take quite a bit to destroy the US.
Just going by Wikipedia, the Hiroshima bomb converted about 600 mg mass to energy. 80 kg would be about 130000 Hiroshima bombs. The exact percentage of the US that would be fried is not as important as the fact that it would be fried.