First Valiant and when did you give up?

How did you become a VALIANT collector?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

sandman
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by sandman »

I'm guessing this has been mentioned before, but I'm curious of when people started collecting Valiant and when they finally gave up. I know none of us likely bought Magnus #1 and stayed all the way through.

Personally, my first was a Harbinger #7 back issue. Unity had just finished. I was hooked from there.

I tracked down all the back issues I missed and stuck with it up to Birthquake. I just couldn't stand paying money for comics I could hardly stand to read anymore. They did put some titles out of their misery, but it was still bad.

Comparing the Pre-Unity to Birthquake is night and day. I'm still working on completeing my collection after birthquake. Did the stories get any better?

kryptonitecomics
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by kryptonitecomics »

I started with a Rai #2, picked up all the Unity and Pre-unity issues of all of the titles and droped out before Ninjak, Psi-Lords, Geomancer, Timewalker etc were even released.

From what I have heard...the later issues aren't worth the paper they were printed on for the most part, but I am sure others who have read every issue may be able to highlight a few decent reads for you.

comicguy
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by comicguy »

I started with Magnus 1 and stayed until to just before Chaos Effect. Reason being just married, baby on the way, and new job all at the age if 24.(dropped out of comics until 1999) I have been buying back issues ever since I retrurned to the comic world, Still have the wife, the kid is now 11 and I have yet another new job(History Teacher 8-) )
Welcome to the Jungle!!

No it wasn't me that did that!!

cjv
A Valiant Vision-ary
A Valiant Vision-ary
Valiant fan since: Shadowman #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Shadowman (VH1)

Post by cjv »

My first was Shadowman 1. I really like the cover. Then I followed up with Archer and Armstrong 0. I then jumped in with all the Unities, and after Unity was over, collected them all but Rai and Magnus. Soon after that (around 1994) I started the Valiant Visions newsletter, and started getting them all.

I stopped collecting soon after the beginning of VH2. I collected the first few issues of all the titles, but I couldn't really get into them. I stopped collecting after about 6 or 7 issues of each of them.

Chris

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: They killed her off!
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Nord

Post by wrunow »

My first was Solar 1 when it first came out (the BWS art was what hooked me early along with the story) and I followed through Harbinger and XO, then Unity. I think I stopped buying Valiants sometime in 1994 when I lost touch with the storylines and characters that I was interested, although I have continued to always buy cheap Pre-unity books in the LCS and ebay.

mrwoogieman
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.

Post by mrwoogieman »

I remember buying the Magnus/Rai flipbooks off the shelf, and then stuck with every title through Unity to some point around Magnus 21 or so; then I started law school (summer 1993) and stopped all collecting until 2001 (when I discovered the best back issue venue in the world, EBAY!).

Now, I have more than I ever had (or could ever afford given the crazy prices these books were pulling back in the day), and I'm less than ten issues from having a full set, counting the Gold and other premiums and the Voice's, but not counting the Bloodshot platinum or the VVSS's issues (which I don't feel are necessary for 100%).
:hm:

Rai-fan
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Rai-fan »

Unity 0 was my first. Gave up around Harbinger 25.

Now: really bitter they didn't finish the story that was going in Ninjak 25-26...anyone else ticked off by this?

Snakemann
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
The good old days

Post by Snakemann »

I bought Magnus #1, Solar #1 and Harbinger #1 new on the stands in Germany at the Stars and Stripes Armed Forces bookstores.
Quit around the Birthquake time.
I did buy the Shadowman vol 2 #1-5 new because of Garth Ennis writing.

oxygen

Post by oxygen »

I found a Turok #1 in a box of my comics a couple of years ago. Don't know where it came from, but I thought it was neat and I vaguely remembered the other Valiant guys from old Wizards. Cut me some slack, though, I was only 6 or so when Magnus #1 came out.

Mr.V

Post by Mr.V »

Started out with Magnus 1 of the shelf....quit with Magnus 51...i just lost interest in the storylines.

lobo

Post by lobo »

Read A&A #0 first then the whole unity chapters in order. Sampled the various other titles particularly the newer titles like bloodshot and Ninjak. The only pre- unity I bought back in 1992 were XO 1-6 and I stayed with that title until the end. I even read the Acclaim XO for awhile until I dropped out of comics altogether for a few years. Now I own complete runs of everything and am currently starting to read everything from the beginning. Just finished the Magnus pre-unity issues.... hundreds of more reading hours to go.

graybola

Post by graybola »

Unity 0 was my first issue. I started buying all that was coming out, but wasnt hooked until the Harbinger trade came out. After that I stayed until the end of vh1. I wasnt to into Turok or any of the later series, but I bought them anyway. I tried a few of the vh2, but at the time it was too different than the characters I was used to.

Chris
GRAYBOLA

screamingdc
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by screamingdc »

Harbinger #10. i got in late to the whole Valiant buzz cause I was too into X-Men and the art over at Image. i remember going to the comic store with another friend from the new school i had transferred to. he picked up a bunch of Valiant stuff and explained that while Image had better artists, Valiant as a whole had better stories. I loaded up on whatever Valiants I could thereafter and whatever pre-Unities I could afford.

I dropped Harbinger after #25 cause Sting was written out but I still followed Bloodshot, Rai, Solar and XO until I just got tired of comics a few years later. It was right before Chaos Effect i think.

BodaZoffa
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by BodaZoffa »

Started with EW #6 & quit about X-O #31.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I first bought Magnus #4 when I was 11 years old, and I loved it. I quickly went back and bought 1-3, and I've been with Valiant ever since, until Unity 2000 #3. I haven't bought every issue by any means, but I've stayed around through all the various ups and downs. And I haven't given up yet! :D

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Mmm...I really don't remember. I *think* it was A&A #0, cause of BWS. Mmmm...BWS....but I KNOW I had some before that, cause I bought a Harb #1 out of the 25 cent box, and picked one Solar #2 out of there (with a stack of about 35....D'OH!)...I think, though, it was..well....Harb #1? I think the Harb was first, and I read that first. I just don't remember. Damn.

First #1 I bought new was Byrne's Namor #1, then Green Lantern #1, in 1990. :) Bought Emerald Dawn #2 new...totally hooked. Emerald Dawn is a killer, killer read. :)

x-omatic
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?

Post by x-omatic »

The first comic I bought in a comic shop, was also the first Valiant I bought. Rai 3.

I was lucky the store still had all the Magnus, Rai, Harbingers (except #1) still on the shelf at cover price. I was hooked from the start.

I think the last Valiant/Acclaim book I bought would have been when they did the "retro" covers. At the time I never accepted VH2.

Jaknife
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Jaknife »

turok #5 and still collecting. I began collecting way after the company had died, so i dont know if this counts.

R Daneel
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Solar, Magnus
Favorite title: VEI Harbinger
Re: First Valiant and when did you give up?

Post by R Daneel »

sandman wrote:I'm guessing this has been mentioned before, but I'm curious of when people started collecting Valiant and when they finally gave up. I know none of us likely bought Magnus #1 and stayed all the way through.
I did!

Oh no, that isn't true for the second part. I bought my Magnus #1 because the lady running the LCS twisted my arm into doing so. She told me I could return it if I didn't like it, as long as I didn't beat up the comic.

I didn't return it. :)

I was an avid reader though the first few issues of Second Life of Dr Mirage, but I sort of drifted off somewhere between there and moving to England. I bought them off and on through the Chaos Effect ... and stopped completely sometime after.

RD

chirco606

Post by chirco606 »

I started with Magnus #1 and stopped a little before it's end at issue #58. I bought most my Valiants off of the stands as they came out and two of each of Magnus #1-8 & Solar #1-4. At first I only bought the first issue of each series except Magnus & Solar, but than I began to collect all the titles after Unity. I was able to sell or trade my reading copies of Magnus & Solar to fill in all the holes for the rest of the series. I would have stayed until the bitter end, but I went away to college and gave up comics for a few years.
What would I do with a Million $, besides 2 chicks at the same time? Nothing. Absolutely nothing!

Sector3600

Post by Sector3600 »

I first picked up Magnus #1 :oops: but didn't really like it, so continued with collecting DC Comics and other select comics.

Then re-discovered the "core" Valiant Universe when I start working as a part-time writer to a very small comic publisher in Houston. I was given a X-O Manowar #11, Solar #16 and Harbinger #18 to research the "style".

I found those books light years ahead of most of my regular DC & Dark Horse titles.

So I caught the fever and picked up all the Valiant each week and during my first visit to a major comic con (San Diego '93) I picked up two sets of NM+ copies of UNITY! I put one away because I knew when to keep an extra copy of a good story. I started picking up the trades and filled in my back issues issue by issue, deal by deal.

I lost track of Valiant soon after Birthright, all but Solar, Magnus, Rai, & X-O Manowar.

I liked Rai over Magnus, I liked X-O/Solar about equal. I only picked up the others if they tied to the "universe" aka team-ups or when Eternal Warrior went against the Immortal Enemy or such.

I then picked up on the VH2, and enjoyed only a few of the new Valiant: X-O, Magnus, Troublemakers, Shadowman, Solar, & Darque.

I kept up with them until they ended, then picked up Shadowman & Armorines and doubled up on UNITY 2000.

If Valiant v3 came about, I would most likely take a look but may be more careful unless it was the VH1 characters.
Last edited by Sector3600 on Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:01:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shakespeare
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Shakespeare »

Harbinger #8 and A+A #1, and that got my my free copy of Unity #0. I went back and collected all by 8 issues of pre-Unity (until I recently got them all). Stopped about A+A #19...I went to college, had no money, and Valiant was waning anyway. Now I'm finished but for five of the premiums.

S

dzminn

Post by dzminn »

This seems like a good thread for my introduction to this board. I have been a guest for about a year now and have sold items to several board members in that time. I appreciate the opportunity to be involved with such an enthusiastic group.

I bought Magnus #1 and continued reading and buying until Unity. I stopped reading all new comics at that point because my children(3 boys and a girl) have kept me far too busy to read as much as I did in the past. I'm not complaining, just stating the obvious as most of you parents out there can relate to.

However I continued to buy and sell most, but not all of the remaining Valiant comics, cards, promos etc., that I did not pick up when the comics were initially introduced. I attended the San Diego Comic-Con seven times from 1991-1999 and was able to obtain many of the promos and such from the Valiant booth directly.

I have several items currently up for auction on ebay (Valiant, Defiant, Broadway - Shooter related), and will put up more in the weeks to come. I will post a link in the Buy/Sell/Trade area soon.

Thanks to all of you for making the past year so enjoyable. The passion that each of you bring is amazing.

johnpaulbill

Post by johnpaulbill »

I'm pretty sure my first Valiant book was Shadowman #1, and I read just that until Unity came out and then it just went downhill from there. My LCS had all of the pre-unity Solar and XO books, and I paid good bucks for them, and had pretty much everything except the lower Harbinger books(had the TPB) and some of the earlier Magnus books... Good thing I waited in completing my collection, because I managed to pick up most of the remaining books in $.50 bins last summer.

I quit cold turkey buying comic books November 1995 because my now ex-wife made me stop, and forbid me continuing because I was spending $30-40 a week on books, and we had a baby on the way. I started back looking at them in 2001, while over in Kosovo, and started filling in holes when I returned. Just today I purchased my last needed issue of the common titles! I still like the core Valiant titles and even enjoy most of the VH2 books (especially Quantum & Woody). Working on completing my VH2 collection.
Smile----it makes others wonder what you're up to!

manowar

Post by manowar »

I was first introduced to valiant in 1992/93. I walked into a comic store in nyc where I was snooping around for good reads, I was told about valiant and at the time I was able to pick up xo#1, solar#1 and solar #10 (possibly a&a 0, but I dont remember) after that day I was hooked. I think I stopped reading valiants around the xo#26 but thats a little hazy to.
well here I am 26 and I got the bug again and I have to admit its just as fun now as when I started back inthe day :)
I await the day valiants will be on the top 10 list again :)