VALIANT and the Star Trek Model

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
VALIANT and the Star Trek Model

Post by ManofTheAtom »

In 2009, four years after Star Trek Enterprise went off the air, Paramount Pictures rebooted Star Trek in JJ Abrams' "Star Trek", a retelling of The Original Series that took place in an alternate quantum reality that was further altered by Spock and a Romulan called Nero traveling back in time and further altering the circumstances around Kirk's birth (in the original timeline he was born in Iowa on Earth, while in the alternate quantum reality he was born in outer space and his father died fighting Nero's starship).

Very reminiscent of Aric using the Cosmic Cube to give himself the X-O Manowar armor in 408 A.D. creating the VH 2 reality.

8 years later, in 2017, CBS All Access released Star Trek Discovery, a prequel to The Original Series (and all those that followed it) set in the original timeline that ignored all the events depicted in Abrams' Kelvin-era trilogy (so named for the ship on which Kirk's father died).

Since then, all Star Trek productions have taken place in the prime reality, with just a fleeting, passing, acknowledgement to Abrams' reboot in the third season of Star Trek Discovery.

How would people react if Alien Books' VALIANT comics followed Star Trek's model and just brought back the original VALIANT Universe without the need of any sort of Crisis or Zero Hour or Unity 2000-type events to precede it, and without any more than just a passing acknowledgment to the VH 2 and VEI reboots like the one Discovery made to the Kelvin trilogy?

VALIANT Reborn, 29-30 years after the publication of X-O Manowar #68.

Before anyone from Alien chimes in ,this is just a What If...? scenario. I'm not saying it's what should happen, so don't just categorically say "no" and leave it at that, heh.

Chime in, for sure. Your input is as welcomed as anybody else's, perhaps even better informed in terms of how such a concept might play out in the market.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris
Re: VALIANT and the Star Trek Model

Post by Chiclo »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:00:49 pm In 2009, four years after Star Trek Enterprise went off the air, Paramount Pictures rebooted Star Trek in JJ Abrams' "Star Trek", a retelling of The Original Series that took place in an alternate quantum reality that was further altered by Spock and a Romulan called Nero traveling back in time and further altering the circumstances around Kirk's birth (in the original timeline he was born in Iowa on Earth, while in the alternate quantum reality he was born in outer space and his father died fighting Nero's starship).
Why must you say things to hurt me? YOU CHOSE VIOLENCE TODAY, MOTA. That theatrically released fanfic will never be Star Trek.

If I wanted to watch young, attractive people doing interesting things, I would watch sports. :cry: :cry:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Chiclo wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:18:41 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:00:49 pm In 2009, four years after Star Trek Enterprise went off the air, Paramount Pictures rebooted Star Trek in JJ Abrams' "Star Trek", a retelling of The Original Series that took place in an alternate quantum reality that was further altered by Spock and a Romulan called Nero traveling back in time and further altering the circumstances around Kirk's birth (in the original timeline he was born in Iowa on Earth, while in the alternate quantum reality he was born in outer space and his father died fighting Nero's starship).
Why must you say things to hurt me? YOU CHOSE VIOLENCE TODAY, MOTA. That theatrically released fanfic will never be Star Trek.

If I wanted to watch young, attractive people doing interesting things, I would watch sports. :cry: :cry:
Abrams' movies are *SQUEE*, heh. Of that, there is no doubt. Really bad fanfic made by people that admit they never watched the thing they were ripping off.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

The Chosen 1
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa

Post by The Chosen 1 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:20:13 pm

Abrams' movies are *SQUEE*, heh. Of that, there is no doubt. Really bad fanfic made by people that admit they never watched the thing they were ripping off.
He did the same thing with The Force Awakens.
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

The Chosen 1
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa

Post by The Chosen 1 »

Very reminiscent of Aric using the Cosmic Cube to give himself the X-O Manowar armor in 408 A.D. creating the VH 2 reality.

8 years later, in 2017, CBS All Access released Star Trek Discovery, a prequel to The Original Series (and all those that followed it) set in the original timeline that ignored all the events depicted in Abrams' Kelvin-era trilogy (so named for the ship on which Kirk's father died).

Since then, all Star Trek productions have taken place in the prime reality, with just a fleeting, passing, acknowledgement to Abrams' reboot in the third season of Star Trek Discovery.

How would people react if Alien Books' VALIANT comics followed Star Trek's model and just brought back the original VALIANT Universe without the need of any sort of Crisis or Zero Hour or Unity 2000-type events to precede it, and without any more than just a passing acknowledgment to the VH 2 and VEI reboots like the one Discovery made to the Kelvin trilogy?

VALIANT Reborn, 29-30 years after the publication of X-O Manowar #68.

Before anyone from Alien chimes in ,this is just a What If...? scenario. I'm not saying it's what should happen, so don't just categorically say "no" and leave it at that, heh.

Chime in, for sure. Your input is as welcomed as anybody else's, perhaps even better informed in terms of how such a concept might play out in the market.
Wasn't that the premise for Unity 2000?

I don't mind the idea to be honest. I think now we have three "universe's", a Unity type of event could pick the best storylines and brig them all back to one Universe.

As for VH1, anything Valiant storylines before when Harbinger #25 was released would be good. All of Valiant went downhill pretty quick after that time.
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

The Chosen 1 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:05:00 pm Wasn't that the premise for Unity 2000?

I don't mind the idea to be honest. I think now we have three "universe's", a Unity type of event could pick the best storylines and brig them all back to one Universe.

As for VH1, anything Valiant storylines before when Harbinger #25 was released would be good. All of Valiant went downhill pretty quick after that time.
Unity 2000 was about destroying the original VALIANT in favor of VH 2, but then they changed gears again to do VH 3.

If VH 1 were to continue, it would have to be from where it left off with X-O #68, though. Otherwise, it's just picking and choosing and that wouldn't work.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

The Chosen 1 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:00:45 pm

Indeed.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I would disagree. Whoever wrote the script for The Force Awakens had obviously seen at least A New Hope and taken copious notes. For plagiarism.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Chiclo wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:09:44 pm

I would disagree. Whoever wrote the script for The Force Awakens had obviously seen at least A New Hope and taken copious notes. For plagiarism.
Indeed.