Alex Paknadel Reveals Your First Look at Valiant’s Incursion

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jaden_sai
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by jaden_sai »

The Series, Co-Written With Andy Diggle & Drawn by Doug Braithwaite, Pairs the Eternal Warrior & Geomancer Against New Foe

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/ ... iants.html

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger
Re: Alex Paknadel Reveals Your First Look at Valiant’s Incur

Post by myron »

jaden_sai wrote:Alex Paknadel Reveals Your First Look at Valiant’s Incursion
The Series, Co-Written With Andy Diggle & Drawn by Doug Braithwaite, Pairs the Eternal Warrior & Geomancer Against New Foe

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/ ... iants.html
ok...lets see if they can pull it off in a worthwhile manner...

as a Valiant fan I'm not sure about the villain they are introducing...
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

What's with the saturation of Lion Forge people moving to Valiant? I get the move from back office types, but I'm not sure about this author.

I do see how this would/ SHOULD have been a Shadowman book, versus a Geomancer/EW book.
Moose

jaden_sai

Post by jaden_sai »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:What's with the saturation of Lion Forge people moving to Valiant? I get the move from back office types, but I'm not sure about this author.

I do see how this would/ SHOULD have been a Shadowman book, versus a Geomancer/EW book.
I liked Alex's Arcadia and I think he just started writing for Lion Forge with KINO #10, so I don't know how far back he goes with them, if at all.

I thought this was going to be a Shadowman book with the possibility of Gilad in it, now it seems completely different.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Stunning art. Interesting story. But this is a puff piece. How would the author know what the comic is is without reading it, and it’s not done. Lots of conclusions without any knowledge. There is what Valiant wants, but you never know what it is until it’s done. Silly.

Also, not yet convinced on those colors yet.

WrathOfArmstrong
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

nycjadie wrote:Stunning art. Interesting story. But this is a puff piece. How would the author know what the comic is is without reading it, and it’s not done. Lots of conclusions without any knowledge. There is what Valiant wants, but you never know what it is until it’s done. Silly.

Also, not yet convinced on those colors yet.
I agree... everything --every article on valiant these days reads like it was written someone at Valiant/DMG. I guess it's the only way they can stay in the spotlight, writing their own articles. At least it's not another 'promotion/hiring' press release. I swear I only see them for Valiant. Can't we talk about the comics, man?

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Whether intended or not, there's a very Plasm vibe to this art... which is interesting because that's what Jim Shooter did immediately after VALIANT, but Plasm style hasn't ever been Valiant-related... and we're now in the "post-Dinesh" and "even-further-from-the-1990s" era for Valiant... but perhaps one big nearly 30-year circle on the themes. :hm:

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

I really don't know what to think of this. That villain's name is clunky as heck. The whole thing just feels,... off. It's a real shame the premise changed so much from what we were originally told. Seems to be the case with a lot of recent Valiant product (HW2, Bloodshot: Rising Spirit, Harbinger: Renegade, etc.)

*sigh*

If I wanted a Lion Forge comic I'd buy a Lion Forge comic. I want a Valiant comic.

I also get a Plasm vibe from this.

Also, more blue skinned aliens? Or are we looking at the Azure from Kindt's X-O run?

*sigh*

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

WrathOfArmstrong wrote:every article on valiant these days reads like it was written someone at Valiant/DMG.
The wife is a PR consultant that does a lot of work for the IT industry including a multi-billion dollar operation. Guess what? Almost all industry articles are written in conjunction with the subject of the piece.

And it makes sense: The interviewer or author needs to be schooled in the topic so the piece can be concise and thought-out before the sit. Sometimes, the subject will even provide a list of suggested questions so they can get straight to the point. This makes for a better read than watching the interviewer try to put it all together on the fly.

When they don't, the posts about such articles here on the board are along the lines of "Wow, that author sounds like he knows almost nothing about Valiant."

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

This title looks good. Glad to see EW and Tama back in the fold.

The company is moving in a new direction, fingers crossed for some Shadowman tie-in.

Story / art / and characters all work for me so I'm much more hyped for this than I was when it was originally previewed a couple moths back.

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

jmatt wrote:
WrathOfArmstrong wrote:every article on valiant these days reads like it was written someone at Valiant/DMG.
The wife is a PR consultant that does a lot of work for the IT industry including a multi-billion dollar operation. Guess what? Almost all industry articles are written in conjunction with the subject of the piece.

And it makes sense: The interviewer or author needs to be schooled in the topic so the piece can be concise and thought-out before the sit. Sometimes, the subject will even provide a list of suggested questions so they can get straight to the point. This makes for a better read than watching the interviewer try to put it all together on the fly.

When they don't, the posts about such articles here on the board are along the lines of "Wow, that author sounds like he knows almost nothing about Valiant."
Exclusives work that way for sure, but reporters are supposed to be impartial. This author makes conclusively statements that are clearly not provable, and favorable to Valiant. Therefore, the piece looks inauthentic, at best.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

What is the deal with creative changes so late in the game? Bloodshot PRS is changing hands from Thompson/Nadler to Grievoux, and Incursion is adding Paknadel. What the hell?

I sort of wish Incursion was centered around Shadowman. The cover with Gilad's scared face is super lame. I liked the original cover with the tentacles in space.

syzhang28
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by syzhang28 »

greg wrote:Whether intended or not, there's a very Plasm vibe to this art... which is interesting because that's what Jim Shooter did immediately after VALIANT, but Plasm style hasn't ever been Valiant-related... and we're now in the "post-Dinesh" and "even-further-from-the-1990s" era for Valiant... but perhaps one big nearly 30-year circle on the themes. :hm:
This doesn't feel like Valiant and I think you're spot on about the new feel. It's all very Defiant/Acclaim pretending to be Valiant but not understanding what makes Valiant Valiant. Every new piece of news from Valiant these days is like another frame in a very slow moving car crash. I definitely get a Dinesh-Era and Post-Dinesh vibe from the line.

markie7235
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by markie7235 »

Why is everyone saying this changed from the original reveal? What's the source of this information?

I personally like the look of the art, like the concept, and think the name Imperatrix Virago has a definite imposing and dread sound to it.

My only quirk with the whole thing.....another Necromancer? Seems like there are a lot of those in Valiant lately. Darque, the guy from Shadowman 7, and now Virago. Sure seem to have a thing for Necromancers

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Looks interesting to me - does sound like it has changed from the initial press releases we saw/heard. I could have sworn it was meant to be a Shadowman focused story as well, but that might have been my own imagination filling in the gaps from early teaser info. Seems like the more appropriate character to deal with an Alien Deadside Incursion... although to be fair, based on what we learned about Gilad in the last series by Venditti, he has a connection to the deadside (or something very close to it) as well. Still kinda works for me - the new villain sounds pretty cool, like a space vampire :D
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

As to the comments about the Lions Forge vibe and/or creative teams coming from there - that’s not really surprising to me as Illidge worked there. With the seeming exodus of the “original wave” of talent at VEI since the DMG takeover, Illidge has to pull in some new people to produce the books. I think it’s only natural that he’s going to call up people he has already worked with first to see if they’ll work with him again.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Deadside related stories are not usually my cup of tea, that aside I do like Braithwaite’s interior art but not keen on his EW cover. I really like the De la Torre cover though.

As for the talent Illidge is bringing on board, maybe this indicates he hasn’t got the connections to A or even B level talent so he’s using Lion Forge people ? :?

That said, let’s wait and see what the quality is like first as if may be a master stroke rather than the Acclaim 2.0 we’re worried about.