Not a single Harvey Award for Valiant

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Thomas
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Gilad Anni-Padda
Not a single Harvey Award for Valiant

Post by Thomas »

http://mostviral.club/saga-march-win-bi ... ey-awards/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I saw that coming.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Re: Not a single Harvey Award for Valiant

Post by lorddunlow »

I take exception to this quote: "Notably absent from the winners was Valiant Entertainment,who dominated several nomination categories thanks to a wave of fan support during the open nominations process."

Umm... "fan support"? I thought nominations were only from industry professionals. Seems a little trite referring to colleagues as fans.
Last edited by lorddunlow on Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:58:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Ricomortis
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Shadowman - Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Favorite writer: Dysart & Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Larosa, Henry & CAFU

Post by Ricomortis »

:o

Are you *SQUEE* kidding me? What a *SQUEE* joke this industry has become.

Nothing but a bunch of sheeple. "Harley Quinn this and Deadpool that" blearggghhhh!

:rant:

Check out my Gallery for this year: A year in the life of Ricomortis (2018) http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 35&t=50927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my Gallery for last year: "A year in the life of Ricomortis (2017)" http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 6#p1056798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

Haha! *SQUEE* the Harveys :lol:

I thought that the Harveys weren't open to public vote though? Article states that it was the fan participation during the open voting process that basically disqualified Valiant from all categories. I thought it was 100% industry-based though, I didn't think the public had a say in it? Or, weren't supposed to be able to at least?
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

lorddunlow wrote:I take exception to this quote: "Notably absent from the winners was Valiant Entertainment,who dominated several nomination categories thanks to a wave of fan support during the open nominations process."

Umm... "fan support"? I thought nominations were only from industry professionals. Seems a little trite referring to colleagues as fans.
Are you not able to accept the fact that there is ZERO CHANCE that pros liked valiant books enough to nominate so many of them in every category and that there was no tampering by fans?

isn't it a Lot more likely that there was tampering? Valiant fans are Fantastic and love the brand but in this case, I personally believe some people crossed the line, and not in a soft feather way, but in a full on hammer way, and it was obvious.

now, some of the blame is on Harvey's for not having a voting process that screens out this type of stuff, but after everyone seeing 2-3 books in every category what do u think was going to happen?
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

Jude Terror
Probably hasn't read a Valiant book.

Post by Jude Terror »

Guys, I've reported on this injustice at The Outhouse: http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/ ... ctory.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully we can make the people who rigged this vote against Valiant pay for their crimes.

Ricomortis

Post by Ricomortis »

Yea... Well I would take Imperium, Divinity or Ivar, Timewalker over ANYTHING at Marvel or DC. Yes I read Saga, Invincible, and East of West... Etc. and I still like these three more.

I know something wasn't right about the nominations, but come on man, that is ridiculous how blinded the so called "professionals" are in this industry. It's the herd mentality.

:?

Check out my Gallery for this year: A year in the life of Ricomortis (2018) http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 35&t=50927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my Gallery for last year: "A year in the life of Ricomortis (2017)" http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 6#p1056798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gavin Dillinger
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: Circle Chest
Favorite title: If You Give A Mouse A Cookie
Favorite writer: Wanda Sykes
Favorite artist: Van Gogh

Post by Gavin Dillinger »

Hey guys. I was busy going door to door and asking people if they've accepted Valiant into their heart as their personal savior. What did I miss? Did Circle Chest win all of the Harvey's?

paradise

Post by paradise »

Jude Terror wrote:Guys, I've reported on this injustice at The Outhouse: http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/ ... ctory.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully we can make the people who rigged this vote against Valiant pay for their crimes.
You, Sir, are a giant d-bag. Not for the stupid and not so funny article you wrote but for the way you come here and gloat. Yes, some overzealous fans voted WAY too many times (more so than other publishers' fans.) That is a topic for an internal soul searching and possibly a civil discussion between real members of this site, and even more so, for the Harvey's to figure out if they are legitimate awards (which means they need a better system for voting) or just another piece of Crap website like yours. But you are flat out accusing VEI employees of doing this with ZERO proof shown and thus reveal yourself a total hack.
Edward

Jude Terror

Post by Jude Terror »

paradise wrote:
Jude Terror wrote:Guys, I've reported on this injustice at The Outhouse: http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/ ... ctory.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You, Sir, are a giant d-bag. Not for the stupid and not so funny article you wrote but for the way you come here and gloat. Yes, some overzealous fans voted WAY too many times (more so than other publishers' fans.) That is a topic for an internal soul searching and possibly a civil discussion between real members of this site, and even more so, for the Harvey's to figure out if they are legitimate awards (which means they need a better system for voting) or just another piece of Crap website like yours. But you are flat out accusing VEI employees of doing this with ZERO proof shown and thus reveal yourself a total hack.
Sir, I don't know what article you were reading, but I explicitly said that Valiant employees did *not* rig the awards. As a proud, card-carrying member of the Valiant Fan Forums, I wanted nothing more than for Valiant to win all of the awards, and possibly for the Harveys to create new awards just to give to Valiant.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

Jude Terror wrote:
paradise wrote:

Sir, I don't know what article you were reading, but I explicitly said that Valiant employees did *not* rig the awards. As a proud, card-carrying member of the Valiant Fan Forums, I wanted nothing more than for Valiant to win all of the awards, and possibly for the Harveys to create new awards just to give to Valiant.
Hey Jude, Don't make it bad

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

From here
SwiftMann wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:This isn't new. CrossGen did this 15 years ago. Got mostly the same results too. No wins.
How can it be the "same result" of "no wins" if the results are not even out yet? :?
Because Valiant did this last year leading all publishers with 20 nominations (and to a lesser degree the year before by getting Q&W to be the most nominated single title) and came up empty.

2014's plan - Get multiple nominations for one title.
2014's result - No wins.
2015's plan - Get multiple nominations for multiple titles across all possible categories.
2015's result - No wins.
2016's plan - Get multiple nominations in the same categories for multiple titles across all possible categories.
2016's result - ???

I'm just hoping they do win something so 2017's plan isn't "Get ALL nominations in the same categories for ALL titles across all possible categories."
Oh no. My fears are being realized. Next year there will be nothing but Valiant nominees. :o

And, for the record, 83% of these comic creator voted awards (supposedly not fan based in any way) went to non-Big 2. Five each to Image and Boom (mostly for Saga and a Peanuts tribute book). Three to Marvel. Two to IDW, Dark Horse and Top Shelf. One each to three independent publishers and DC. Hard to call that a bunch of Harley Quinn and Deadpool sheeple.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Ricomortis

Post by Ricomortis »

SwiftMann wrote:From here
SwiftMann wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:This isn't new. CrossGen did this 15 years ago. Got mostly the same results too. No wins.
How can it be the "same result" of "no wins" if the results are not even out yet? :?
Because Valiant did this last year leading all publishers with 20 nominations (and to a lesser degree the year before by getting Q&W to be the most nominated single title) and came up empty.

2014's result - No wins.
2015's plan - Get multiple nominations for multiple titles across all possible categories.
2015's result - No wins.
2016's plan - Get multiple nominations in the same categories for multiple titles across all possible categories.
2016's result - ???

I'm just hoping they do win something so 2017's plan isn't "Get ALL nominations in the same categories for ALL titles across all possible categories."
Oh no. My fears are being realized. Next year there will be nothing but Valiant nominees. :o

And, for the record, 83% of these comic creator voted awards (supposedly not fan based in any way) went to non-Big 2. Five each to Image and Boom (mostly for Saga and a Peanuts tribute book). Three to Marvel. Two to IDW, Dark Horse and Top Shelf. One each to three independent publishers and DC. Hard to call that a bunch of Harley Quinn and Deadpool sheeple.
Industry as a whole, not just these awards... If you can't see that... I don't know what else to say. :?

In reference to my sheeple comment... Which is my personal opinion... Not that that means anything. Lol

paradise

Post by paradise »

Jude Terror wrote:
Keep posting, your site's credibility is growing in leaps and bounds. Great business strategy to act like a first class hole. You probably think you are doing investigative journalism here. I think you missed the mark. And The Onion is actually funny.
Edward

paradise

Post by paradise »

SwiftMann wrote:From here
SwiftMann wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:

2014's result - No wins.
2015's result - No wins.
2016's result - ???

Correct, to think Valiant got snubbed is insane. The books that won, while may not be yours (or in some cases mine) cup of tea but they brought something new and original to the field or brought new readers. Valiant publishes fantastic (specially for us fans) superhero comic books but number of nominations, specially when they were nominated by largely anonymous online voting, means nothing.
Edward

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

A bit off topic, but can anyone explain their Hall of Fame to me? This year Carl Barks was inducted into the Harvey Hall of Fame and previously he was in their Kirby Hall of Fame. Did they cancel the Kirby Hall of Fame and start again from the beginning or is it supposed to be the same thing? On their home page they say the Kirby Hall of Fame is still among the categories, but all recent listings name it the Harvey Hall of Fame. As the listings on their home page are incomplete it's not easy to understand.

/Magnus

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

paradise wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:I take exception to this quote: "Notably absent from the winners was Valiant Entertainment,who dominated several nomination categories thanks to a wave of fan support during the open nominations process."

Are you not able to accept the fact that there is ZERO CHANCE that pros liked valiant books enough to nominate so many of them in every category and that there was no tampering by fans?

isn't it a Lot more likely that there was tampering? Valiant fans are Fantastic and love the brand but in this case, I personally believe some people crossed the line, and not in a soft feather way, but in a full on hammer way, and it was obvious.

now, some of the blame is on Harvey's for not having a voting process that screens out this type of stuff, but after everyone seeing 2-3 books in every category what do u think was going to happen?
Either the Harvey Awards are only voted on by industry professionals (as they claim) or not. If somehow 'fans' from outside the industry are able to vote in any way, shape, or form, then the Harvey awards need to stop claiming that they are "The only comics awards both nominated and selected by the full body of comics professionals." If 'fans' not working in the comics industry could somehow get involved to spike the votes to get Valiant so many nominations, then why didn't they also spike the final ballots to give a bunch of wins to Valiant as well?

Let me be clear that I'm not advocating for cheating in any form. It just doesn't make sense that some group that could rig the nominations wouldn't also rig the final votes. I mean, the only reason to do that would be to increase people's paranoia about Valiant 'rigging' votes. After last years debacle with the /r/comicbooks Reddit poll, we now have two big instances where it looks like vote rigging took place. So any future awards Valiant may eventually get come pre-tarnished as people wonder how legitimate it is. That's my fear. It would have been better to either win a few of the awards that they were nominated for this time, or to not have dominated the nominations at all. Now it looks like Valiant has a 'history' of cheating.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Watchtower
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Watchtower »

Okay, I can already see the misinformation spreading, so let's clear some things up.
Notably absent from the winners was Valiant Entertainment, who dominated several nomination categories thanks to a wave of fan support during the open nominations process.
The word is dominated, not disqualified. We have no idea why Valiant didn't get any Harveys, just that fan support was why they got so many nominations in the first place.

On one hand, I'm no longer surprised when we as a fandom (or even we as a forum) lead to Valiant getting disqualified for something: we've kinda got a bad reputation for being a bit too overzealous. On the other hand, I'm calling shenanigans at fan support playing any role in the Harveys process, since everything I've found makes it explicitly clear that it has to be within the industry. To quote their own site:
WHO CAN VOTE: The Harvey Awards may be voted on exclusively by Comic-Book creators, those who write, draw, ink, color, letter, design, edit, or are otherwise professionally involved in the creative aspect of comics, online or in print. Fans, retailers, distributors, and accounting, administrative, and other business operations personnel votes will not be counted. All ballots must include requested professional verification information.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Watchtower wrote:Okay, I can already see the misinformation spreading, so let's clear some things up.
Notably absent from the winners was Valiant Entertainment, who dominated several nomination categories thanks to a wave of fan support during the open nominations process.
The word is dominated, not disqualified. We have no idea why Valiant didn't get any Harveys, just that fan support was why they got so many nominations in the first place.

On one hand, I'm no longer surprised when we as a fandom (or even we as a forum) lead to Valiant getting disqualified for something: we've kinda got a bad reputation for being a bit too overzealous. On the other hand, I'm calling shenanigans at fan support playing any role in the Harveys process, since everything I've found makes it explicitly clear that it has to be within the industry. To quote their own site:
WHO CAN VOTE: The Harvey Awards may be voted on exclusively by Comic-Book creators, those who write, draw, ink, color, letter, design, edit, or are otherwise professionally involved in the creative aspect of comics, online or in print. Fans, retailers, distributors, and accounting, administrative, and other business operations personnel votes will not be counted. All ballots must include requested professional verification information.
This was my point. The article claims fans stuffed the nomination ballots when the Harvey awards claim the voting is only from industry professionals. I don't know how anyone can claim fans affected the vote in any way without saying the Harvey's are full of *SQUEE*.

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek

Post by bygranddesign »

I'm very disappointed in the Valiant fans that stuffed the ballot

They have made a mockery of the system ... and have brought great shame to the Valiant fan community

How can you go through all that effort to stuffing the ballot ...

getting valiant creators nominated in almost every single category

... and NOT get ONE NOMINATION for Josh Dysart or Imperium !!!!!

Not ONE nomination for the best writer at Valiant?

Worst.

Ballot.

Stuffing.

Ever!!

Shame on you shady Valiant fans

Shame on you!
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

paradise

Post by paradise »

Harvey's nomination process has no checks. Anyone can nominate off their website, making up name and/or their qualification. Easy to cheat as they get thousands of votes thst nobody vets.

Voting for the winners is then done by a controlled book of industry creators. Thus one can fake nominations but not votes
Edward

paradise

Post by paradise »

Phoenix8008 wrote:. I mean, the only reason to do that would be to increase people's paranoia about Valiant 'rigging' votes. After last years debacle with the /r/comicbooks Reddit poll, we now have two big instances where it looks like vote rigging took place. So any future awards Valiant may eventually get come pre-tarnished as people wonder how legitimate it is. That's my fear. It would have been better to either win a few of the awards that they were nominated for this time, or to not have dominated the nominations at all. Now it looks like Valiant has a 'history' of cheating.
That is what I am trying to say. This may take years to untangle now
Edward

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

paradise wrote:Harvey's nomination process has no checks. Anyone can nominate off their website, making up name and/or their qualification. Easy to cheat as they get thousands of votes thst nobody vets.

Voting for the winners is then done by a controlled book of industry creators. Thus one can fake nominations but not votes
Well then the Harvey awards are a sham. Putting any stock in them as an actual industry award is idiotic.
Last edited by lorddunlow on Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:14:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

bygranddesign
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek

Post by bygranddesign »

My previous post was obviously tongue in cheek

But I think the fact that Dysart wasn't nominated for anything is actually pretty telling

Most hardcore Valiant fans on this board (and elsewhere) are huge Dysart fans

If this was done by fans it was probably done by a very small group who inexplicably aren't big fans of Dysart

It feels more like a few very enthusiastic / over zealous employees (marketing people) that have a stake in bringing attention to Valiant ... More than some big fan effort... just my 2 cents
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

bygranddesign wrote: It feels more like a few very enthusiastic / over zealous employees (marketing people) that have a stake in bringing attention to Valiant ... More than some big fan effort... just my 2 cents
QFT