Unity #19

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Brapbrap
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Sunlight On Snow
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Raul Allen
Unity #19

Post by Brapbrap »

I liked this issue in some ways, it was an interesting origin story and introduced three new characters who i am interested in reading further stories about, the framing with Ninjak talking to her was cool too. One thing kind of annoyed me though: do we really need ANOTHER historical Unity team? This is the 3rd one I think and all 3 were made by Kindt.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: Unity #19

Post by greg »

It's an interesting situation, though. Throughout history, if there were "powered" people whose stories got told through whatever communication channels were around, would they naturally try to find each other?

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

This was a good read. One of my favorite Unity issues of late. I always enjoy a good legacy character or team, and with Shadowman MIA and Rai wrapped up in his own story, Unity as a legacy works for me.

The medieval Unity team gave me a vibe similar to what Paul Cornell was doing with Deamon Knights and their connection to the modern day Storm Watch way back at the launch of the New 52.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by bygranddesign »

good issue

I like War Monger - she has got a bad *SQUEE* vibe that i really dig in a villain

I thought the old Unity was cool - I don't mind Kind-T continuing to connect the past with the present and creating this legacy within the title.

The promo for the next issue shows the 1940's Unit-Y team ... I hope we get to see them again as part of this story. Specifically - I'd love to see more about Shadow-women... :hope:

bygranddesign
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek

Post by bygranddesign »

I'm so used to *SQUEE* now as a replacement for cursing

That I wish Valiant used that in their comics instead of $#^%*

:)

zlovemojo
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 1992 X-O #1
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by zlovemojo »

I wish they would just come out and swear if they are trying to swear, especially with a character like War-Monger, half of her dialogue in this issue ended up *SQUEE* symbols! :mad:

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

War-monger seems like she could be Gilad's daughter, Xaran, in the 21st Century.

mateo107
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite

Post by mateo107 »

this issue was a little disappointing. I'm not sure a villain spotlight issue is the best way to introduce a new villain, and even then I didn't feel like I learned much about any of the characters introduced here. very little seemed tied to the greater Valiant universe, so this didn't really expand the world in any way. after an underwhelming 4 issues of character focused stories I was hoping this arc would get the book back on track. now it even has me less interested in the 1940's Unit-Y if that story is anything like this one.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone is interested in hearing Dr Solar, Hawkeyeps & I discuss this issue along with the XO 'Shanhara Zero' issue in the latest OTV: Valiant Comics Review episode (in a fairly efficient 40 minutes) - follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr18/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think this issue generated some of our harshest criticisms to date on the show... Be warned - Hawkeyeps blows a gasket over it!! :o :lol:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

bygranddesign wrote:I'm so used to *SQUEE* now as a replacement for cursing

That I wish Valiant used that in their comics instead of $#^%*

:)
Haha! Me too :D
zlovemojo wrote:I wish they would just come out and swear if they are trying to swear, especially with a character like War-Monger, half of her dialogue in this issue ended up *SQUEE* symbols! :mad:
zlovemojo wrote:I wish they would just come out and swear if they are trying to swear, especially with a character like War-Monger, half of her dialogue in this issue ended up *SQUEE* symbols! :mad:
I'd be okay with allowing some swearing in the books too, within reason. I also found it incredibly distracting to the reading flow, with the sheer volume of unintelligible special character expletives in there.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zlovemojo
Valiant fan since: 1992 X-O #1
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by zlovemojo »

I'd be okay with allowing some swearing in the books too, within reason. I also found it incredibly distracting to the reading flow, with the sheer volume of unintelligible special character expletives in there.[/quote]

Absolutely. It's especially jarring when I move from reading Image comics (where these days ANYTHING goes) to Valiant in a single setting.

QUARTZ

Post by QUARTZ »

greg wrote:War-monger seems like she could be Gilad's daughter, Xaran, in the 21st Century.
It'll be interesting to see how Gilad reactes to her. That's a good thought. I almost wish they went with a more direct connection to Gilad that's already been established than create a whole new character as a foil for Unity.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

QUARTZ wrote:
greg wrote:War-monger seems like she could be Gilad's daughter, Xaran, in the 21st Century.
It'll be interesting to see how Gilad reactes to her. That's a good thought. I almost wish they went with a more direct connection to Gilad that's already been established than create a whole new character as a foil for Unity.
Maybe it will turn out she's another one of his kids. They always wound up being f'd in the head back in VH1, and we know Xaran and Mitu both wound up in unusual situations. She does seem awfully similar in both look and attitude to Xaran.

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

I find it hard to believe that War Monger and Gilad haven't crossed paths already. Maybe they have?
So, she's super strong, immortal? What else?
I much preferred the art in the flashback scenes to the modern day art. Not sure who either artist was though.
Took out Ninjak with 1 kick.... he couldn't have dodged that? She have super speed too?

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I enjoyed the issue and I certainly hope she's not related to Gilad. We need less derivative stuff, not more.

And like the OP, yet another Unity precursor? At least it's informal

The &^%$* dialogue was impossible to enjoy though. Please *()&^ tone that #$^ down.

So, she's the spawn of that creature on page one? That will be interesting.

The art was very good.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

jmatt wrote:I enjoyed the issue and I certainly hope she's not related to Gilad. We need less derivative stuff, not more.

And like the OP, yet another Unity precursor? At least it's informal

The &^%$* dialogue was impossible to enjoy though. Please *()&^ tone that #$^ down.

So, she's the spawn of that creature on page one? That will be interesting.

The art was very good.
She is literally the spawn of Satan having anal sex with the Earth.

There I said it.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Oh and this: Not very team booky. That's four out of the last five issues. Are we gonna spend the next two issues watching her take on Livewire and EW alone?

This title needs another writer. And with the exception of Imperium, all of the books need more story and fewer splash pages.

tiredofmyself
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 2015
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway
Favorite title: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by tiredofmyself »

At first I thought the alchemist is Gilad.

While hating all the #$%@# bits, I was hoping she can at least kill one or two if not all three Medieval Unity members, preferably by making them fight each other with her ambiguous warmongering power... instead... well...

She's kind of annoying and weak now instead of being an annoying and terrifying foe.

mateo107
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite

Post by mateo107 »

jmatt wrote:And with the exception of Imperium, all of the books need more story and fewer splash pages.
agree, although I don't see this as a problem in Ivar, Timewalker. that book has splash pages but it tells a more complete story in every issue than any other series right now, even Imperium. :rant: Venditti is the one I think most of all just needs to advance the story, he has way too many pages with no dialogue or even words in every issue. decompression doesn't even begin to describe it, he's having a wedding issue for a relationship that hasn't been developed in any noticeable way.

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

I like the idea of multiple Unity/Unity type teams existing throughout the world's history. We now have two immortal beings remarking on this happening- seemingly these teams form on their own, but the question is why?
jmatt wrote:Oh and this: Not very team booky. That's four out of the last five issues. Are we gonna spend the next two issues watching her take on Livewire and EW alone?
I'm wondering if the purpose of the arc is to focus on earlier teams? First our medieval team, next WW2. Maybe the mystery team alluded to in an earlier arc will be after that?
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

tiredofmyself wrote:At first I thought the alchemist is Gilad.

While hating all the #$%@# bits, I was hoping she can at least kill one or two if not all three Medieval Unity members, preferably by making them fight each other with her ambiguous warmongering power... instead... well...

She's kind of annoying and weak now instead of being an annoying and terrifying foe.
I think what happened to her was overconfidence. This was the first time she faced other powered individuals and she wasn't prepared. Now she is.
mateo107 wrote:
jmatt wrote:And with the exception of Imperium, all of the books need more story and fewer splash pages.
agree, although I don't see this as a problem in Ivar, Timewalker. that book has splash pages but it tells a more complete story in every issue than any other series right now, even Imperium. :rant: Venditti is the one I think most of all just needs to advance the story, he has way too many pages with no dialogue or even words in every issue. decompression doesn't even begin to describe it, he's having a wedding issue for a relationship that hasn't been developed in any noticeable way.
Same. XO has had this problem from the very beginning when it took the events of XO #0 and turned it into 4 issues. Timewalker and Imperium are packed with story, dialogue and other elements to fill the reading experience. Bloodshot: Reborn seems to be somewhere in the middle.

Kindt bounces back and forth. Rai can be packed with stuff, but often without a pay off. Divinity was similar. Ninjak is super decompressed, but has felt like a fuller story. Meanwhile Unity just isn't progressing. I liked this issue, and the past Unity team, but as was said the modern day team has barely been seen in 2015.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

BugsySig wrote:

Off to the quotes section.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

FormerReader wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

Off to the quotes section.
:thumb:

apainter

Post by apainter »

War Monger's dad reminded me of the spirit of the wild from that one panel in Eternal Warrior.

I liked that the "wizard" used science he claimed was magic and the woman used magic she claimed was science.

It wasn't bad a'tall, I thought. The cursing was distracting, though. I kept stopping to try to figure out which curse word fit best.

Art

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

tiredofmyself wrote: I was hoping she can at least kill one or two if not all three Medieval Unity members, preferably by making them fight each other with her ambiguous warmongering power... instead... well...
Yes, that would have been an opportunity to see her wield whatever power she has.
mateo107 wrote:agree, although I don't see this as a problem in Ivar, Timewalker.
Yes, and Rai as well. Plenty of story there. Bloodshot is okay in this regard too.
mateo107 wrote: Venditti is the one I think most of all just needs to advance the story,
I agree, he may be consistently the most plodding writer at Valiant, imo. His book moves at half-speed.
Keith wrote:I'm wondering if the purpose of the arc is to focus on earlier teams? First our medieval team, next WW2. Maybe the mystery team alluded to in an earlier arc will be after that?
If so, this is the weirdest team book ever.