Bloodshot & H.A.R.D. Corps #22 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL
Bloodshot & H.A.R.D. Corps #22 Discussion

Post by Keith »

Wow, now that was just a fun, action packed issue. Pretty much stayed true to what we've come to expect from BS&HC, and that has been pretty enjoyable for the whole run.

I'm thinking I'm going to miss this title when it's gone. We know where BS is heading, but I'm hoping we will still see something of the HC from time to time... assuming we don't lose anymore team members. :hope:
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

rpellech83
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Re: Bloodshot & H.A.R.D. Corps #22 Discussion

Post by rpellech83 »

Read the preview on CBR this morning and it blew my mind. (See what I did there) can't wait to see how the series ends. Like you I hope that there is still an HC when all is said and done.

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

rpellech83 wrote:Read the preview on CBR this morning and it blew my mind. (See what I did there) can't wait to see how the series ends. Like you I hope that there is still an HC when all is said and done.
They're like Doritos: "Crunch all you want. We'll make more!"

:twisted:

But I would like to see AT LEAST Palmer survive.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek

Post by bygranddesign »

Just finished reading this issue.

loved it. loved it. loved it.

This is the type of story and art i've wanted from the beginning with this renamed title. It was tough, it had action, it had drama, it had loss, it had pain, it had a sense of grounded gritty realism in story and art. I'm not familiar with Al Barrionuevo, certainly there are stronger artists at Valiant, but his style fits perfectly with this book. The opening scene with Genius was beautifully drawn with a nice touch of emotion and ultimately a painful shock.

The ending was nicely done from Flatline willing to sacrifice herself with the Omega sequence (very interesting term considering the upcoming Omega mini series) to Bloodshot revealing that Kozol was the one behind Genius's death.

With both Bloodshot and Flatline lying half dead - does anyone else get the feeling that Bloodshot will save Flatline by using his Nanite Blood?? Maybe sacrifice himself (his host body) to enter hers before she dies (capture her soul) to create another Bloodshot? :hm:

Cannot wait for the next issue - this is getting goooooood... :cloud9:

***EDIT*****
Wow ... just noticed that Dysart's name is not attached to this issue. Considering the sharp dialougue - I thought for certain he had a big hand in this issue. Duffy Boudreau (sounds suspiciously canadian) is credited as the writer along with Gage. Congrats to both of them on a great opening issue to this arc.
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

bygranddesign wrote:Just finished reading this issue.

loved it. loved it. loved it.

This is the type of story and art i've wanted from the beginning with this renamed title. It was tough, it had action, it had drama, it had loss, it had pain, it had a sense of grounded gritty realism in story and art. I'm not familiar with Al Barrionuevo, certainly there are stronger artists at Valiant, but his style fits perfectly with this book. The opening scene with Genius was beautifully drawn with a nice touch of emotion and ultimately a painful shock.

The ending was nicely done from Flatline willing to sacrifice herself with the Omega sequence (very interesting term considering the upcoming Omega mini series) to Bloodshot revealing that Kozol was the one behind Genius's death.

With both Bloodshot and Flatline lying half dead - does anyone else get the feeling that Bloodshot will save Flatline by using his Nanite Blood?? Maybe sacrifice himself (his host body) to enter hers before she dies (capture her soul) to create another Bloodshot? :hm:

Cannot wait for the next issue - this is getting goooooood... :cloud9:

***EDIT*****
Wow ... just noticed that Dysart's name is not attached to this issue. Considering the sharp dialougue - I thought for certain he had a big hand in this issue. Duffy Boudreau (sounds suspiciously canadian) is credited as the writer along with Gage. Congrats to both of them on a great opening issue to this arc.
Sounds like this issue is really good! Can't wait to read it once I get mine in a couple weeks. :(
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Keith
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

bygranddesign wrote:I'm not familiar with Al Barrionuevo, certainly there are stronger artists at Valiant, but his style fits perfectly with this book. The opening scene with Genius was beautifully drawn with a nice touch of emotion and ultimately a painful shock.

Agreed, though small niutpick with him drawing pupils in Bloodshot's eyes. Hate it when artists do that!
bygranddesign wrote:Wow ... just noticed that Dysart's name is not attached to this issue. Considering the sharp dialougue - I thought for certain he had a big hand in this issue. Duffy Boudreau (sounds suspiciously canadian) is credited as the writer along with Gage. Congrats to both of them on a great opening issue to this arc.
In fact, I think I read that Gage really wasn't as involved in this issue, either. Like some Hollywood commitments came calling, so Valiant brought Boudreau in to do the lion's share of the writing.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

bygranddesign
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek

Post by bygranddesign »

Keith wrote:
Agreed, though small niutpick with him drawing pupils in Bloodshot's eyes. Hate it when artists do that!
I liked the pupils. It gave bloodshot some added emotion for that scene. I guess different artists will provide different interpretations to bloodshots look - this more realistic interpretation was one of my favorite depictions of Bloodshot since the re-launch.
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Very good issue. More akin to the pre-Harbinger Wars Bloodshot: very violent with a basic, driven plot.

Art was good, not great, but much better than the A&A crossover issues.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

I really liked it story and art, I've never heard of Barrionuevo or Boudreau but this was a really good issue that I enjoyed a lot.

I would rather have a relative unknown like Barrionuevo giving his best effort as opposed to a name artist like Raney who just mailed in a half effort with the last arc IMO.

I think it makes all difference in the world if the creators are passionate about what they are doing and this issue just felt like these guys we're really digging the whole Bloodshot/HARD Corps concept and treating it well.

I too hope Hard Corps carries on in some form after all this done, it's way too good of a concept to throw away.

4.75/5 not perfect but maximum enjoyment was had and I can't wait for the next issue, it looks like Kozol has a whole new set of HARD Corps that Palmer doesn't know about :hm:

Kozol is a *SQUEE* he needs to die (I didn't forget about that Canada crack from Harbinger Wars)!

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Love that Rossmo cover. I'd pay $4 to check out the title again just because of that cover! Wait...... It's the 1:20 variant? Never mind <puts money back in wallet>
ASM Crossover Home

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

bygranddesign wrote:loved it. loved it. loved it.
Same. Wow, what a great issue! :clap: Three cheers for the new creative team. Great art, dialogue and plot! :high-five:

I got to the end as was like "Noooo! Don't stop now!"

The art was outstanding. Gritty and clean, if such a thing is possible. Great inking. So much emotion in the faces.

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

This was a really good read. They did a good job of driving the reader through the book, and if you got caught up in the action, you missed the subtle clues as to the ending. Such as the guard conveniently right outside the door when Bloodshot entered the bathroom with Genius. That, plus the oddly emotional yet seeming cold dialogue was a good tip, but I'll wager that the shock of what happened to Genius might have distracted some readers from thinking much on it.

As for HC, I wonder if anyone other than Palmer will make it. I can see them shelving these characters as a focus for a while during the big summer event (but Palmer or someone may pitch in to help fight against the Hunters). The time out of the spotlight will give Kozol or whomever is in charge the opportunity to rebuild a team. From the look of the last page, it may turn into a HC vs HC battle. I wonder if Granite will turn on Kozol, and see him for what he is? She has to know he's scum, but this betrayal of the team may break the spell. Would be cliche yet still satisfying to have her put the beat down on Kozol.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

mateo107
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite

Post by mateo107 »

books like this remind me why I love comics. all the character set-up from the previous arcs is looking to have a big pay off. and just when you thought you had the basic details of the story (Bloodshot kills HC member, HC hunts Bloodshot), it threw in another complication. the team seems to be splitting into predictable factions, but I'm hoping the resolution will be another surprise.

apainter

Post by apainter »

Duffy Boudreau wrote one of the stories in Shadowman 12, the tattoo artist one.

I got taken in by the story. I didn't like what it was doing to Bloodshot's character, and felt relieved when Kozol turned out to be the a-hole he always was. (Unless he isn't. See, now I'm half expecting more story twists ahead.) Great issue.

Art

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

great issue. back to bloodshot being torn to pieces!

i wouldn't mind seeing hard corp past this arc if they have a major overhaul. the costumes, names, and shallow character depth just kill me.

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Best issue of this title in a while, if not for the entire run so far. This was Bloodshot at it's best. Congrats to the new creative team who have done an amazing job. Valiant, keep these guys around as a team! If they do work half as good as this, you have just found some future superstars!
Bloodshot ate a *SQUEE* mountain lion! What?!?!? Awesome!
Great plot, and plot twist. Very much liked the art the whole way through, and I can be picky about that. Definitely enjoyed this issue very much from start to finish. Actually, it truly left me wanting more. So, well done there as well!

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

jmatt wrote: I got to the end as was like "Noooo! Don't stop now!"
I expressed this exact sentiment very loudly when I finished the book.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote: Congrats to the new creative team who have done an amazing job. Valiant, keep these guys around as a team! If they do work half as good as this, you have just found some future superstars!
+1 I am unfamiliar with the creative team but... wow. Just a great issue all-around.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

The art was a really good fit this month. Would like to see more on Bloodshot in the future, or maybe on Shadowman/Dr. Mirage
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

kjjohanson wrote:The art was a really good fit this month. Would like to see more on Bloodshot in the future, or maybe on Shadowman/Dr. Mirage
I could see that working. This issue made me feel bad that HardCorps is heading backstage. Not sure they could carry their own book, but now that we've gotten to the climax, I appreciate the synergy with Bloodshot a bit more.

Donovan
...formerly The Beyonder
...formerly The Beyonder
Valiant fan since: Unity. The first time.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: VEI Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Romulo Fajardo

Post by Donovan »

I really loved the art in this issue, thought it set a perfect tone and told the story well. I'd love to see this guy be a regular on Bloodshot!

Spylocke
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by Spylocke »

jmatt wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:The art was a really good fit this month. Would like to see more on Bloodshot in the future, or maybe on Shadowman/Dr. Mirage
I could see that working. This issue made me feel bad that HardCorps is heading backstage. Not sure they could carry their own book, but now that we've gotten to the climax, I appreciate the synergy with Bloodshot a bit more.

I totally think H.A.R.D. Corps could carry their own book since their inclusion into Bloodshot. The title change seemed like a test for a future H.A.R.D. Corps series. I've never been much of a Bloodshot fan so H.A.R.D. Corps has been triumphantly carrying the book in my opinion. If done right I imagine something similar in tone to the manga Gantz where new characters are introduced and killed off quickly and there is a dread that no character is safe.

Some random things I liked about this issue: The shot of Flatline in bed when Genius is talking about her. What could have been a tawdry cheescake shot just reminded me how sick and close to death she was thanks to the depiction of her frail, half-naked body. It was unsexy and disturbing in a good way.
Another point in this issue's favor regarding the depiction of women in comics was how the two women were the most eager to get potentially life-threatening implant upgrades. Sure, it was due to the men in their lives but I think it was a nice change to see women that eager to put their lives on the line.

That brings me back to Flatline and her fate. While I saw it coming I didn't expect it to be such an emotional gut punch. We didn't even get a flashback for either of the deaths and they still had a great deal of impact.
I'm suddenly a lot more interested in the Lifeline techs now. We got a full name for one and we were shown what a rogue tech (assuming this wasn't part of Kozol's plan) can do. If there is a H.A.R.D. Corps left by the end I'd like to see more about the Lifeline crew and how they interact with the team. Anyone remember Maniac's Lifeline who thought of everything in gaming terms? It would be a shame to not see that guy again.

Here's the Readers Digest version: ...I really liked this issue.

rpellech83

Post by rpellech83 »

I completely agree that I am more of a H.A.R.D. Corps fan then Bloodshot. Would love to see these characters elsewhere.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

The Bloodshot eye thing seemed intentional to me. I don't think it was accidental.

How weird is it that the issues with Dysart attached are my least favorite? :screwy:
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Just got to read this issue tonight - great stuff!!

Very entertaining read, & a solid plot filled with action and a good twist resolution at the end. I was fooled by the head-doof to Genius, it left me puzzled the entire issue as to why Bloodshot would go and kill one member of HC and then just burn out of there without a better plan to take them all out. I should have clued in that it wasn't his plan at all, after all he could have doofed everyone if he had wanted to at the time.

It was good to see Kozol show his true sleazoid nature once again. Unbelievable how immoral this guy is! This seems like the smartest play he can make with the tools currently at his disposal to try and take out Bloodshot.

Loved the artwork this issue too - reminds me of Mark Texiera. Give this guy some more work! :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;