LCS chatter

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
LCS chatter

Post by xodacia81 »

Went to two of the three shops, today-was hunting down some missing issues of Fables that I loaned a friend, who then lost them(they gave me the money, so all cool)-and I asked both sets of owners what they thought of VALIANT. The one said that they are "shocked that they lasted 4 months, and seem to be healthier than expected" while another said "I think it's nice to see these characters back. We sell about 5 copies a month, and always have one or two left over. That's not bad, in this market. Really good for a new company, in fact."

Overall, I get the feeling that VEI has surprised people, mostly by being consistent, rather than any outright "wow" factor. Although, the gent who made the second comment was very impressed by the level of talent on the books, and said that he's sad Dysart is VEI exclusive because "That means no more BPRD stories" which gave me a chuckle.

So, any of you guys noticing any "Chatter" about VEI at your local shops? (for those who still attend such things)

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes
Re: LCS chatter

Post by depluto »

xodacia81 wrote:Went to two of the three shops, today-was hunting down some missing issues of Fables that I loaned a friend, who then lost them(they gave me the money, so all cool)-and I asked both sets of owners what they thought of VALIANT. The one said that they are "shocked that they lasted 4 months, and seem to be healthier than expected" while another said "I think it's nice to see these characters back. We sell about 5 copies a month, and always have one or two left over. That's not bad, in this market. Really good for a new company, in fact."

Overall, I get the feeling that VEI has surprised people, mostly by being consistent, rather than any outright "wow" factor. Although, the gent who made the second comment was very impressed by the level of talent on the books, and said that he's sad Dysart is VEI exclusive because "That means no more BPRD stories" which gave me a chuckle.

So, any of you guys noticing any "Chatter" about VEI at your local shops? (for those who still attend such things)
I get a little tired of the way people have these low expectations for Valiant. The original characters are great, had a ton of success but got burned by the times (and their own actions). Now VEI has control, hired GREAT people to work up a universe and have executed it pretty damn well. Why did all these geeks have these low expectations?

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

depluto wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:Went to two of the three shops, today-was hunting down some missing issues of Fables that I loaned a friend, who then lost them(they gave me the money, so all cool)-and I asked both sets of owners what they thought of VALIANT. The one said that they are "shocked that they lasted 4 months, and seem to be healthier than expected" while another said "I think it's nice to see these characters back. We sell about 5 copies a month, and always have one or two left over. That's not bad, in this market. Really good for a new company, in fact."

I get a little tired of the way people have these low expectations for Valiant. The original characters are great, had a ton of success but got burned by the times (and their own actions). Now VEI has control, hired GREAT people to work up a universe and have executed it pretty damn well. Why did all these geeks have these low expectations?
I guess they have some sort of entitlement, and the most vocal are the type of guys that probably have very little social skills in real life. Another thing I don't understand is the backlash of VE1 from fans of the original Valiant. I can think of a number of former/current board members that haven't read a single issue of VE1, and then there's the extremes like that DG guy over at the CGC boards. Not sure what that's guy problem is, but he clearly is not right in the head.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

I'd also like to point out, given the history of speculation associated with Valiant, it's possible some of these guys are *SQUEE* the relaunch hasn't had a positive affect on VH1 pricing.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

GGSAE wrote:
depluto wrote:

I guess they have some sort of entitlement, and the most vocal are the type of guys that probably have very little social skills in real life. Another thing I don't understand is the backlash of VE1 from fans of the original Valiant. I can think of a number of former/current board members that haven't read a single issue of VE1, and then there's the extremes like that DG guy over at the CGC boards. Not sure what that's guy problem is, but he clearly is not right in the head.
Is DG perhaps the same as Defiant1? That would explain things. As far as I'm concerned, those who refuse to check for themselves don't get to offer reasons one way or the other.

1st Among Equals

Post by 1st Among Equals »

Sadly my lcs said they weren't selling doing well enough and have stopped ordering them along with putting back issues in the $1 bin.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

GGSAE wrote:I'd also like to point out, given the history of speculation associated with Valiant, it's possible some of these guys are *SQUEE* the relaunch hasn't had a positive affect on VH1 pricing.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

xodacia81 wrote:
Is DG perhaps the same as Defiant1? That would explain things. As far as I'm concerned, those who refuse to check for themselves don't get to offer reasons one way or the other.
He is. I wasn't around when he was one the boards, but what happened that he has so much hate for all things Valiant? Talk about needing to get a social life. If you spend that much time hating on a comic book company you have some serious personality issues.

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

My LCS i found out sold the harder to find VEI issues online telling me they didn't get them.After being caught they denied it.I don't go to them anymore. :(

Im much happier buying Online.
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

FormerReader wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
He is. I wasn't around when he was one the boards, but what happened that he has so much hate for all things Valiant? Talk about needing to get a social life. If you spend that much time hating on a comic book company you have some serious personality issues.
:thumb:

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

FormerReader wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
And he admitted to having 12 online user names, lol.

bobby97801
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: X-O Manowar

Post by bobby97801 »

Last month, my LCS told me they was getting more customers subscribing to Valiant. I'm pretty sure I was the only one for the first year and a half. I am hoping that we keep growing. :hope:
Last edited by bobby97801 on Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:57:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

bobby97801 wrote:Last month my LCS told me he was getting more customers subscribing to Valiant. I'm pretty sure I was the only one for the first year and a half. I am hoping that we keep growing. :hope:
:high-five:
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

I don't get to the comic shop that regularly, but when I do, it's Ed's store, Collector's Paradise. There are Valiant Posters on the windows! I think you all know what a giant Valiant guy Ed is, and he puts them front and center. Although, I never really asked how sales were going? But he definitely hypes them!

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

GGSAE wrote:
FormerReader wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
People that use multiple accounts on the same forum are nuts.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Canadian Dunlow
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by Canadian Dunlow »

lorddunlow wrote:
GGSAE wrote:
FormerReader wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
+1

Hotwire
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by Hotwire »

I got enough to spread around.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Seriously, though, I just had this conversation with my LCS owner. He said VEI was selling better than any other indie publisher he sells, although not a lot. However, when I mentioned I noticed he seems to turn over TPBs frequently, he said that he can't keep them on the shelf, they are selling so well.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

lorddunlow wrote:Seriously, though, I just had this conversation with my LCS owner. He said VEI was selling better than any other indie publisher he sells, although not a lot. However, when I mentioned I noticed he seems to turn over TPBs frequently, he said that he can't keep them on the shelf, they are selling so well.
+√1
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

I'm convinced that in this era, they are a success and half the negativity is from people using a 1992 rubric during a 2014 economy. The one shop here said "comics are dead. Nothing sells a hundred issues anymore." No *SQUEE*, Sherlock. Speculation time is long past.

kjjohanson
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

xodacia81 wrote:I'm convinced that in this era, they are a success and half the negativity is from people using a 1992 rubric during a 2014 economy. The one shop here said "comics are dead. Nothing sells a hundred issues anymore." No *SQUEE*, Sherlock. Speculation time is long past.
Maybe if they* wouldn't be such Negative Nancies their customers would have more confidence in their product and they would make more sales

*the store, not Valiant
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

kjjohanson wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:I'm convinced that in this era, they are a success and half the negativity is from people using a 1992 rubric during a 2014 economy. The one shop here said "comics are dead. Nothing sells a hundred issues anymore." No *SQUEE*, Sherlock. Speculation time is long past.
Maybe if they* wouldn't be such Negative Nancies their customers would have more confidence in their product and they would make more sales

*the store, not Valiant
Thank you! I mean, really, right? But that's my area, for you. Circle the wagons and shoot inward.

SJS4
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by SJS4 »

My LCS is small, and probably more of a game store (Magic: The Gathering) than a comic store, but their VEI sales definitely look better today than a year ago. When VEI first started i asked them to order it for me, and they got an extra issue or two of the #1's for the shelf. But normally when i wnt in to get my pull box there wouldn't be any follow up issues on the shelf (not an empty space....he just wasn't ordering any shelf copies). Then I noticed he started having 1 or 2 issues of each issue on the shelf, and then up to about 5 issues. People must be buying them because they are never in the back issue section. Then for Unity he bought a ton of them (like 50ish) including a lot of variants. He sold most of them, but there are still 5-6 of them on the shelf, a long with a couple extra #2's.

So anyway, my perception is that VEI has been a hit for him. Not on the level of the big Marvel or DC characters, but somewhere in that Buffy/Hellboy/Star Wars range.
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Canadian Dunlow wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
GGSAE wrote:
FormerReader wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
+1
:lol:

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

With my job I get to travel through 7 states in the Midwest, so I visit a lot of different comic stores. It really is a mixed response when I ask how the new Valiant books are selling. Most say they have a couple of loyal buyers who buy everything, but I usually see lots of new VEI books in the back issues.

Before I switched over to DCBS to get my books, my LCS would order an extra VEI book or two for the shelf, but I see most of these in the back issues too. :( Now that I am no longer ordering them, I wonder if they will continue to order copies for the shelf display. :?

Mkb28