Southern Knights

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

sbcomics
My posts can all fit in a short box
Southern Knights

Post by sbcomics »

Has anyone read this series? I randomly found one and was reading it when my youngest daughter saw the cover and demanded I read it to her. She dug it, so now I think I'm on the hook for finding more of them.

It is actually kind of cool. One of the main heroes of the book turns into a dragon. I was sort of concerned that the title seemed like that of a KKK team, but I think that's just coincidental. (The book is set in Atlanta, which gives it a different location than the thousands of NY-based super teams.)

- Matt

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
Re: Southern Knights

Post by StarBrand »

I've been wondering about this series. Have you found more of them?
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

sbcomics

Post by sbcomics »

I found two more issues, but haven't read them yet. It looks like it ran for 40-plus issues over 10 years, though!

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

sbcomics wrote:I found two more issues, but haven't read them yet. It looks like it ran for 40-plus issues over 10 years, though!

I didn't realize it ran that long. Wow!

sbcomics

Post by sbcomics »

That was a lot more than I had thought, too.

rasputin9977
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by rasputin9977 »

I think I only have two issues that I've found on 25 cent bins. Haven't read them yet but I'll eventually get around to it. For some reason, I thought this series was hard to find but mycomicshop has 33 of the 35 issues and has each issue for .80-.90 each except for the last issue which is 6.49 (pretty expensive for an '80s series but I'm guessing not that many issues were printed?) Might buy them next year if I can find those two missing issues.

sbcomics

Post by sbcomics »

I picked up one more random issue of this... at this rate I will have a full run in about 30 years.

rasputin9977

Post by rasputin9977 »

Looks like the first issue of this series is called Crusaders from a company called Guild. Can't seem to find it for a reasonable price. Mile High sells it for $20. IMO, too much for me so I'll wait to find it cheaper.

rasputin9977

Post by rasputin9977 »

Finally found a copy of #35 but it looks like it is just a binding of three indie comics that have no relation to the Southern Knights. What a rip off :(

Anyone know if #36 is the same crap?

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

rasputin9977 wrote:Finally found a copy of #35 but it looks like it is just a binding of three indie comics that have no relation to the Southern Knights. What a rip off :(

Describe what you mean a little more in depth if you could. How is #35 "just a binding of three indie comics that have no relation to the Southern Knights"? Are there three different stories done by three different creative teams that seem to have no connection to each other or whatever ongoing story there was in the Southern Knights? I don't know anything about this series, so I'm trying to understand what you might be referring to. Issues #35 and #36 both say something about the "Morrigan Wars" on the cover, so I would think they have to be connected in some way.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Brother J wrote:
rasputin9977 wrote:Finally found a copy of #35 but it looks like it is just a binding of three indie comics that have no relation to the Southern Knights. What a rip off :(

Describe what you mean a little more in depth if you could. How is #35 "just a binding of three indie comics that have no relation to the Southern Knights"? Are there three different stories done by three different creative teams that seem to have no connection to each other or whatever ongoing story there was in the Southern Knights? I don't know anything about this series, so I'm trying to understand what you might be referring to. Issues #35 and #36 both say something about the "Morrigan Wars" on the cover, so I would think they have to be connected in some way.
I was wondering about that as well. :hm:

rasputin9977

Post by rasputin9977 »

On the cover of #35, right lower bottom right, it says Hero Graphics, another company that I believe was a popular indy company in the '80s. On the inside cover, there is some text by 'Dennis Mallonee' stating "You're not only getting a big 100-page comic book for only $3.95, you're getting actual copies of early issues of Captain Thunder and Blue Bolt, Eternity Smith, and The League of Champsions starring Flare!". I have two of these three issues and it looks like they just took these three issues and binded them together to make Southern Knights #35. Nothing in this issue has any story about the Southern Knights. The last page is an ad for X-Thieves, another comic by Comics Interview, the same company that published the Southern Knights.

I'm just wondering if issue #36 is also a binding of previously publishing Hero Graphic comics and not actual Southern Knights comics.

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

That is really weird, basically a bait and switch. I can tell you that #36 also has the Hero Graphics logo on it, so chances are good it is just like #35. Dennis Mallonee is a seller on eBay, maybe someone could contact him and find out what the deal is with these books.

Here's his eBay auctions for Southern Knights books:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&i ... &_from=R40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;