Finally read these comics...

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

SJS4
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Finally read these comics...

Post by SJS4 »

So this weekend I finally sat down and read the "Dark Key" comics (Magnus, Solar, and Turok). Here are my thoughts FWIW:

Magnus 1-4: This was the first batch I read. I thought it was a good concept. I liked the concept of how robots became sentient better in this version of Magnus better than the Valiant version. I liked the art for the most part. It wasn't great but it was solid and didn't take away from the story IMHO. The plot and script both seemed good but not really anything spectacular. It felt like the pre-Unity Magnus for the most part, although there were some subtle variations. I do think it was better than the Acclaim Magnus (which was horrible IMHO) and the post Malev Magnus (which was "OK"). If this series was still going I would keep collecting it for sure. Overall I would give this batch an B+

Solar 1-4: This was the second batch I read. The concept was kind of silly. The art on the first issue was good but it seemed to get progressively worse with each issue. The script was okay but the plot just didn't seem remotely plausible. It was a good thing I bought issues 5-8 before reading these issues. I would have to give this batch a C-.

Solar 5-8: This was the third batch I read. The art for the main story was "ok" while the art from the origin story was really well done. I thought the concept and plot of this story was heads an shoulders above the first story arc, and the scripting was solid. After reading this batch I was really disappointed that the series was cnaceled (or "put on hold" or whatever). Overall I would give this batch an A-.

Turok 1-4: This was the last batch I read. I loved the art in the first issue, and while subsequent issues were not as good I still liked it all the way until the end. I thought this was the best sotry out of the bunch. I was never actually a Turok fan in the original Valiant but I would say I enjoyed this series the mosg out of all the "Dark Key" series that I read. I would give this series an A+.

Overall I would say I enjoyed Dark Horse's attempt to ressurect these characters. Its a shame they weren't more commercially successful because I think they showed a lot of promise. I hope Jim Shooter gets another shot to write these characters because I think he does it very well.
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
Re: Finally read these comics...

Post by StarBrand »

SJS4 wrote:So this weekend I finally sat down and read the "Dark Key" comics (Magnus, Solar, and Turok). Here are my thoughts FWIW:

Magnus 1-4: This was the first batch I read. I thought it was a good concept. I liked the concept of how robots became sentient better in this version of Magnus better than the Valiant version. I liked the art for the most part. It wasn't great but it was solid and didn't take away from the story IMHO. The plot and script both seemed good but not really anything spectacular. It felt like the pre-Unity Magnus for the most part, although there were some subtle variations. I do think it was better than the Acclaim Magnus (which was horrible IMHO) and the post Malev Magnus (which was "OK"). If this series was still going I would keep collecting it for sure. Overall I would give this batch an B+

Solar 1-4: This was the second batch I read. The concept was kind of silly. The art on the first issue was good but it seemed to get progressively worse with each issue. The script was okay but the plot just didn't seem remotely plausible. It was a good thing I bought issues 5-8 before reading these issues. I would have to give this batch a C-.

Solar 5-8: This was the third batch I read. The art for the main story was "ok" while the art from the origin story was really well done. I thought the concept and plot of this story was heads an shoulders above the first story arc, and the scripting was solid. After reading this batch I was really disappointed that the series was cnaceled (or "put on hold" or whatever). Overall I would give this batch an A-.

Turok 1-4: This was the last batch I read. I loved the art in the first issue, and while subsequent issues were not as good I still liked it all the way until the end. I thought this was the best sotry out of the bunch. I was never actually a Turok fan in the original Valiant but I would say I enjoyed this series the mosg out of all the "Dark Key" series that I read. I would give this series an A+.

Overall I would say I enjoyed Dark Horse's attempt to ressurect these characters. Its a shame they weren't more commercially successful because I think they showed a lot of promise. I hope Jim Shooter gets another shot to write these characters because I think he does it very well.
Good stuff. :thumb:
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

SJS4 wrote:So this weekend I finally sat down and read the "Dark Key" comics (Magnus, Solar, and Turok). Here are my thoughts FWIW:

I liked Magnus as well.

Turok started out well. I had no idea there was such a big delay delay between issue 2 and the last two issues. Yea, the art was poorer in the last two issues and the story seemed rushed. Liked the concept of the spaceman hanging out with them.

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

Yea, I liked em all enought to keep buying them if they came out on a regular basis as they should have all along. :( :censored:
Click the Sig, Hear Something Different!
http://www.reverbnation.com/lexmoon
Also, Check my reverbnation page^