Dark Horse reviving Doctor Solar, Magnus and Turok

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Steve Topper
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Dark Horse reviving Doctor Solar, Magnus and Turok

Post by Steve Topper »

News out of SDCC

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=22234

and Shooter writing a lot of the stories.

I guess this effectively puts a nail in the thought VEI might work something out the those three characters

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

“The point is that I'm going to write as much as I possibly can,” Shooter told CBR. Though the new series will feature interpretations of these characters different from both the classic and Valiant versions, Shooter's process for reinvention will be similar to what he did in the '90s.
Interesting. I wonder what he has up his sleeve?

vikingspawn
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by vikingspawn »

4 new titles for next year from the news in this article!

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/15449.html

Dark Horse Gets Gold Key Heroes
Shooter to Oversee New Turok, Magnus, Solar & Samson Series
Published: 07/25/2009 02:52pm

New Series ComingAt the San Diego Comic-Con Dark Horse Comics announced the acquisition of the rights to create new comic book series based on classic Gold Key comic heroes including Turok, Son of Stone, Doctor Solar, Magnus, Robot Fighter, and Mighty Samson. Jim Shooter, who revived Turok, Magnus, and Solar for the Valiant Universe in the 1990s, will be plotting and overseeing all four of the new series based on the Gold Key characters for Dark Horse.

Dark Horse’s Director of Public Relations, Jeremy Atkins told ICv2 that the new Dark Horse comics featuring Gold Key heroes should debut in mid-2010. Dark Horse has already released hardcover collections reprinting vintage Gold Key comics featuring Magnus, Robot Fighter, Doctor Solar, and some of the Russ Manning Gold Key Tarzans. In the near future Dark Horse will issue collections of Gold Key comics featuring Roy Rogers, Turok and the Jesse Marsh Tarzans.

VEI Reborn
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by VEI Reborn »

Oh boy oh boy!

I cant wait! :clap:

To bad VEI wouldnt make something like this happen [with Shooter I mean]

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

Well Well Well. I figured it might be something like this. Very interesting. Nice job by Dark Horse. Leave it to Richardson to come through for his old pal, Shooter. I wish them success.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

DAMMIT! I was just getting ready to post this...

:clap:

-slym

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

This news is both exciting and disappointing at the same time.

But Mighty Samson? Really? Is there a big market for that character? I guess we'll find out...

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

hulk181man wrote:This news is both exciting and disappointing at the same time.

OMG I Feel exactly the same way SHOOTER Doing Solar & Magnus!!!!! :clap: :clap: And Turok to boot! I think this is great, Dark Horse has long proved themselves as a mainstay and respectable comic company and I am extremely happy for Shooter getting his babies back!!
VEI owns some Great property, really great, excellent masterpiece property so they can do just fine without. Just think: BloodShot, X-O, Ninjak, Eternal Warriors, Q&W, Shadowman, Harbinger, Archer Armstrong..plenty of material to work with. Like I have said before a VEI imprint with DH would be ideal to get new stories out there while VEI work on propery material like Movies, Video Games & Toys. We'll see what's brewin, either way i'm on board. :thumb:
Click the Sig, Hear Something Different!
http://www.reverbnation.com/lexmoon
Also, Check my reverbnation page^

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

did anyone catch this line?:
Whether trade paperbacks or hardcovers of the Valiant Gold Key books alongside its line of classic Gold Key hardcovers are part of those ambitious plans, Shooter said, “As far as I know, it's possible.”
So Dark Horse might put out hardcovers of the Valiant stuff featuring Solar, Magnus and Turok? Someone better tell VEI... :lol:

MoonChild

Post by MoonChild »

I AM SO HAPPY 4 SHOOTER RIGHT NOW :clap:

MoonChild

Post by MoonChild »

Brother J wrote:did anyone catch this line?:
Whether trade paperbacks or hardcovers of the Valiant Gold Key books alongside its line of classic Gold Key hardcovers are part of those ambitious plans, Shooter said, “As far as I know, it's possible.”
So Dark Horse might put out hardcovers of the Valiant stuff featuring Solar, Magnus and Turok? Someone better tell VEI... :lol:
I read that and interpreted it as it's possible it can get done as in a collaboration deal, which could be a good opportunity for these 2 companies to collaborate and see if they can work on futher projects together.

cshepard81
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by cshepard81 »

After yesterday's Marvelman announcement and today's Gold Key/Jim Shooter announcement, this con has given me a ton to look forward to.

As far as Mighty Samson, I don't know much about him, but what I've read about him (mutant/barbarian living in a Kamandi-like world) sounds interesting enough. I wonder if any more Gold Key characters like Doctor Spektor will be making appearances?

VHMMV
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by VHMMV »

What VEI should do is what they had to do on the Legion of Super-Heroes back in the early '90s when they were told to remove Superboy and Supergirl from Legion continuity: create replacement characters. Yeah, I know it wasn't great having Valor (formerly Mon-El) and Andromeda retconned into every old Legion story, but VEI just needs to come up with an Indian guy, a robot fighter, and super-hero physicist and say that those were the characters all along. Maybe they could have some cosmic event in which history is altered or something, but knock-offs are better than nothing.

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

MoonChild wrote:
Brother J wrote:did anyone catch this line?:
I read that and interpreted it as it's possible it can get done as in a collaboration deal, which could be a good opportunity for these 2 companies to collaborate and see if they can work on futher projects together.
might be, as I assume even if they didn't need permission to reprint the Valiant stories, they would definitely need permission to use Rai, X-O and any other Valiant characters who crossed over in those issues.

cshepard81

Post by cshepard81 »

VHMMV wrote:What VEI should do is what they had to do on the Legion of Super-Heroes back in the early '90s when they were told to remove Superboy and Supergirl from Legion continuity: create replacement characters. Yeah, I know it wasn't great having Valor (formerly Mon-El) and Andromeda retconned into every old Legion story, but VEI just needs to come up with an Indian guy, a robot fighter, and super-hero physicist and say that those were the characters all along. Maybe they could have some cosmic event in which history is altered or something, but knock-offs are better than nothing.
I disagree. I think part of my attraction to Valiant was the history/nostalgia for the old Gold Key characters who I was already familiar with. I bought Magnus #12 because it was Magnus and Turok (even though I wasn't terribly thrilled with how Turok turned out in the Valiant Universe). If it just been an "Indian guy" who fought dinosaurs, I don't think I would have been interested. If VEI doesn't get to use any of the Gold Key characters, I hope they can move on without and come up with creative new characters of their own.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

hulk181man wrote:This news is both exciting and disappointing at the same time.

But Mighty Samson? Really? Is there a big market for that character? I guess we'll find out...
I have my doubts about that character too. They are going to need a bigger lineup of characters to go along with the big three, so maybe Big Jim can make it work.

MoonChild

Post by MoonChild »

VEI does not need to come up with knock-off characters and that is very cheezy. They own Phil [His alter ego-Solar was only in respect to his favorite comic book] problem solved. Magnus would be missed but could easily crossover from time to time as well as turok [however I dont think turok will be missed by many].

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

I think there is a silver lining to this in connection to VEI. We can now be 99.999% certain that VEI won't be using these characters at all. The tiny% that exists is only if VEI and DH merge and I don't see that happening. As such, we can begin to speculate a little more fully on what Valiant Univers comics, without the GK3, would look like. I don't think Turok is a loss. Magnus and Solar, yes, although in the case of Solar there is still the Valiant character of Dr. Seleski, if they want to use him. either way, I'm looking forward to what Shooter has up his sleeve and I hope this works out for him. In a way, it's like he's come full circle and has a chance to do something new and maybe, just maybe, better than what he did all those years ago. Good for him. I know I'll be picking up the first issues of Magnus and Solar.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

MoonChild wrote:VEI does not need to come up with knock-off characters and that is very cheezy. They own Phil [His alter ego-Solar was only in respect to his favorite comic book] problem solved. Magnus would be missed but could easily crossover from time to time as well as turok [however I dont think turok will be missed by many].
It's going to be a much tougher hill for VEI to climb now, that's for sure.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

xodacia81 wrote:I think there is a silver lining to this in connection to VEI. We can now be 99.999% certain that VEI won't be using these characters at all. The tiny% that exists is only if VEI and DH merge and I don't see that happening. As such, we can begin to speculate a little more fully on what Valiant Univers comics, without the GK3, would look like. I don't think Turok is a loss. Magnus and Solar, yes, although in the case of Solar there is still the Valiant character of Dr. Seleski, if they want to use him. either way, I'm looking forward to what Shooter has up his sleeve and I hope this works out for him. In a way, it's like he's come full circle and has a chance to do something new and maybe, just maybe, better than what he did all those years ago. Good for him. I know I'll be picking up the first issues of Magnus and Solar.
While losing Turok is not major blow, Magnus and Solar were an intergal part of the original VU. Everything is so intertwined with them that referencing older material to bridge the new VU will get a little convoluted now that DH will be making new material.

I think the best thing VEI can do at this point is to do a major reboot.
Last edited by Daniel Jackson on Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:34:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MoonChild

Post by MoonChild »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
MoonChild wrote:VEI does not need to come up with knock-off characters and that is very cheezy. They own Phil [His alter ego-Solar was only in respect to his favorite comic book] problem solved. Magnus would be missed but could easily crossover from time to time as well as turok [however I dont think turok will be missed by many].
It's going to be a much tougher hill for VEI to climb now, that's for sure.
Not in the comic-book realm. You can do anything you want to do, that's what's great about this form of entertainment. Phil can easily change his mind on the whole super-hero get-up :wink: if he chose. This aint doom and gloom, this is opportunity!!

VHMMV

Post by VHMMV »

The only company that would benefit from a VEI/Dark Horse crossover would be VEI. In other words, Dark Horse wouldn't care.

MoonChild

Post by MoonChild »

That's only if they have not already been working on the reboot this past year or so, which never included the GK properties in the first place. They can easily tell stories with X-O & BloodShot and the likes to start and be successful while slowing working on a new history of the birth the universe if they chose to not work with DH.
Daniel Jackson wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:I think there is a silver lining to this in connection to VEI. We can now be 99.999% certain that VEI won't be using these characters at all. The tiny% that exists is only if VEI and DH merge and I don't see that happening. As such, we can begin to speculate a little more fully on what Valiant Univers comics, without the GK3, would look like. I don't think Turok is a loss. Magnus and Solar, yes, although in the case of Solar there is still the Valiant character of Dr. Seleski, if they want to use him. either way, I'm looking forward to what Shooter has up his sleeve and I hope this works out for him. In a way, it's like he's come full circle and has a chance to do something new and maybe, just maybe, better than what he did all those years ago. Good for him. I know I'll be picking up the first issues of Magnus and Solar.
While losing Turok is not major blow, Magnus and Solar were an intergal part of the original VU. Everything is so intertwined with them that referencing older material to bridge the new VU will get a little convoluted now that DH will be making new material.

I think the best thing VEI can do at this point is to do a major reboot.

MoonChild

Post by MoonChild »

VHMMV wrote:
The only company that would benefit from a VEI/Dark Horse crossover would be VEI. In other words, Dark Horse wouldn't care.
Doubt that, they are smarter than that. They want to work with VEI as long as the people that own VEI are reasonable collaborators. Everyone knows the demand for Valiant Characters and DH is a comic company, trust, they care.

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

This does make me wonder even more now about the people who maybe knew something was happening in the background at VEI.

This deal must have been done some time ago i would imagine and the perfect time to announce it obviously at the Con.

So if DH can keep this quiet then VEI too can have stuff happening without letting slip. I hope.

:hm:
I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.
140 boxes and counting !!!

Follow us on facebook :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;