need feedback on ebayer

VALIANT-related items for sale, trade, or wanted.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

achilles
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
need feedback on ebayer

Post by achilles »

hi all. i wanted to ask any of yal if uve ever bought anything off an ebayer named worncover. he listed, and i bought a unity tpb volumes one thru 4 that were sealed in the original box. when i recieved the item it seemed to be on the light side. sooo i proceeded to remove the what looked like factory plastic seal and what did i find. i found volume one inside with a square piece of cardboard taking up the space where the other three should have been. i realize that s...t sometimes happens. i just want some feedback and just to let all you fine gentlemen know of my experience with this ebayer

mrwoogieman
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.

Post by mrwoogieman »

My guess is the guy doesn't realize that only the first volume came with the silp case and that the other threee volumes were sold separately. Send him an email explaining what you were expecting to receive (all 4 volumes not just one) and request that he refund your money. It looks like an honest mistake on the seller's part. I wouldn't be too worried unless he refuses to refund.
:hm:

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

This same thing has happened before with other sellers, most of the time they just read the outside shell and see Volumes 1 - 4 and assume that everything is in there. Judging from his feedback and the way he was smart enough to take pictures, I would say it was an honest mistake on his part. 37 bucks is way too much to let it slide though, but in the future you may want to hold back giving the seller a negative until you see if things can be worked out first.

johnpaulbill
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by johnpaulbill »

I just bought a book from him the other day, and he said he is selling the books for a friend of his, and doesn't really know that much about comics. Just wants to sell them. Seems like a nice fella, just not overly informed about the books. Just my $.02 worth. jp
Smile----it makes others wonder what you're up to!

Philflound
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by Philflound »

That's the problem with non-comic people. Doing favors usually bites you in the *SQUEE*. I've sold items for people like ovens, shampooers, etc on Ebay, just to help them make some money and make me some extra money. I've run into a few problems, which I have no clue since I'm not an appliance person. I usually will put the disclaimer, "sold as is" in these auctions and explain up front that I'm selling them for someone and know nothing about them. This at least covers my *SQUEE*.

As for the slipcase, did you need volume 1? Did you need the slipcase? If so, try and negotiate what you deem is fair on those 2 items without #2-4 and ask for a partial refund. A partial may constitute $25 in my opinion, or else ask for a full refund if you don't want to deal with it.

Phil

Technique
Thatched Roof Cottages!!!
Thatched Roof Cottages!!!
Re: need feedback on ebayer

Post by Technique »

achilles wrote:hi all. i wanted to ask any of yal if uve ever bought anything off an ebayer named worncover. he listed, and i bought a unity tpb volumes one thru 4 that were sealed in the original box. when i recieved the item it seemed to be on the light side. sooo i proceeded to remove the what looked like factory plastic seal and what did i find. i found volume one inside with a square piece of cardboard taking up the space where the other three should have been. i realize that s...t sometimes happens. i just want some feedback and just to let all you fine gentlemen know of my experience with this ebayer
I agree with the others that it was very likely an honest mistake on his part. He probably would have given you a near-full refund if you had explained things to him. You jumped the gun big-time by leaving negative feedback so quick. He now has 0 incentive to try and work things out with you. You had two things in your favor. Those being that the auction only ended two weeks ago and that he had already left positive feedback for you. You still had two weeks to file a claim with Paypal (unless they changed their rules) and a whole bunch more time if you paid with a credit card through Paypal.

I hope that you get things worked out but if I were him I would not give you a dime. Maybe it's just me but negative feedback is a last resort. Always try to work things out until you come up against your time limit (normally Paypal or your credit card). I have given five or six negs but I could have given twenty or thirty if I had gone off half-cocked. That's just my $.02.

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

I would inform the seller of the listing error and point him at the price guide at this site. Use that, and an ebay seach for previous sales of just a #1+slipcase sealed, to agree on a market price and a partial refund.

A reasonable seller would do this.

x-omatic
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?
Re: need feedback on ebayer

Post by x-omatic »

achilles wrote:hi all. i wanted to ask any of yal if uve ever bought anything off an ebayer named worncover. he listed, and i bought a unity tpb volumes one thru 4 that were sealed in the original box. when i recieved the item it seemed to be on the light side. sooo i proceeded to remove the what looked like factory plastic seal and what did i find. i found volume one inside with a square piece of cardboard taking up the space where the other three should have been. i realize that s...t sometimes happens. i just want some feedback and just to let all you fine gentlemen know of my experience with this ebayer
I had the exact same thing happen to me with an eBay auction. The seller was so embarassed they refunded my money right away and let me keep the books.

Just let them know that they made a mistake.
http://chrismorrillart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

johnpaulbill

Post by johnpaulbill »

Have questions about a different seller -- vanderbooks. Has anybody won anything from him? Here's one of the three auctions I won from him:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWN:IT

I inadvertantly bid on these without reading his bright blue very long paragraph about his shipping and handling charges. Zeph--this should bring the best out in you! He charges $5 for each comic book as a handling charge! What do you all think about that? I emailed him, and told him that I didn't think $5 for each comic was a good thing to do, and he replied with this hateful email and wanted to end the transactions because I complained. This email was in bright red! Why can't people just use black? Much easier to read, and less hateful. Comments? jp

x-omatic

Post by x-omatic »

johnpaulbill wrote:Have questions about a different seller -- vanderbooks. Has anybody won anything from him? Here's one of the three auctions I won from him:

I inadvertantly bid on these without reading his bright blue very long paragraph about his shipping and handling charges. Zeph--this should bring the best out in you! He charges $5 for each comic book as a handling charge! What do you all think about that? I emailed him, and told him that I didn't think $5 for each comic was a good thing to do, and he replied with this hateful email and wanted to end the transactions because I complained. This email was in bright red! Why can't people just use black? Much easier to read, and less hateful. Comments? jp
You might want to read this:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/lis ... arges.html
"Sellers may charge a reasonable shipping and handling fee to the final price of their item, providing that this fee is disclosed in the listing. A shipping and handling fee can cover the seller's reasonable costs for mailing, packaging and handling the item. Shipping and handling fees cannot be listed as a percentage of the final sale price."

I would not consider 5.00 per item reasonable. Also, if they will not combine the items then I would require them to send each one seperatly. You can report the fees to eBay and see what they say.

Eric Jackson
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Eric Jackson »

sounds like someone i will certainly not be doing business with in the future. It sucks you noticed it after the auction :/ but for a response like that, it's rediculous. I'd just end the transaction.

johnpaulbill

Post by johnpaulbill »

Here's my email to him and his response:

In a message dated 10/3/2004 12:26:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Johnpaulbill writes:
Hi. I am the winner of your Batman #608 autographed by Jim Lee, and two from previous days. I went to send you your payment today and missed the mail, so I still have your payment here until Monday. I would prefer to just pay for the books at once. You don't take PayPal, do you?

I must also say that I bid on your auctions before reading your entire blue shpleel, and can honestly say that I would not have bid on them had I read completely. I have a personal problem with the $5 each book handling. Just a personal thing that really makes it less enjoyable to purchase items on ebay. Just seems incredibly exorbitant to me.

Anyhoo, there, I've got upon my soap box. Let me know the total, and I will just send you one payment. Thanks, and I look forward to the books.

His reply:
John-
Since you have a real personal problem with our terms we will be happy to cancel all 3 legal contracts with you. I do not appreciate your comments when you have practically robbed us at $26.97 for these 3 books. This was way below our "wholesale costs" and I am shocked the auctions sold so cheaply. I am even more shocked that you bid and then launched a complaint. Just consider the deal off since you have a problem. You also need to read what you bid on before placing a bid. We DO NOT now or ever again will accept any payments through Paypal. Our terms were stated clearly in each auction to prevent a problem such as this has become.

Thank-you,
Gregory @ Vanderbooks
(Owner, President & CEO)

I still want the books, that's the problem. $11.97(great deal) for the books and $15 in shipping & HANDLING. ARRGGHHHHH!!!!! But I want the books!!!!

Even though the $5/each auction/won't combine shipping is listed, it still irks me. I, too, do not believe that is a reasonable amount. Zeph has a great oration about that in another discussion, and I totally agree with him.

Just beware of this fella, and his pricing/handling charges. jp

x-omatic

Post by x-omatic »

johnpaulbill wrote:Here's my email to him and his response:

In a message dated 10/3/2004 12:26:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Johnpaulbill writes:
Hi. I am the winner of your Batman #608 autographed by Jim Lee, and two from previous days. I went to send you your payment today and missed the mail, so I still have your payment here until Monday. I would prefer to just pay for the books at once. You don't take PayPal, do you?

I must also say that I bid on your auctions before reading your entire blue shpleel, and can honestly say that I would not have bid on them had I read completely. I have a personal problem with the $5 each book handling. Just a personal thing that really makes it less enjoyable to purchase items on ebay. Just seems incredibly exorbitant to me.

Anyhoo, there, I've got upon my soap box. Let me know the total, and I will just send you one payment. Thanks, and I look forward to the books.

His reply:
John-
Since you have a real personal problem with our terms we will be happy to cancel all 3 legal contracts with you. I do not appreciate your comments when you have practically robbed us at $26.97 for these 3 books. This was way below our "wholesale costs" and I am shocked the auctions sold so cheaply. I am even more shocked that you bid and then launched a complaint. Just consider the deal off since you have a problem. You also need to read what you bid on before placing a bid. We DO NOT now or ever again will accept any payments through Paypal. Our terms were stated clearly in each auction to prevent a problem such as this has become.

Thank-you,
Gregory @ Vanderbooks
(Owner, President & CEO)

I still want the books, that's the problem. $11.97(great deal) for the books and $15 in shipping & HANDLING. ARRGGHHHHH!!!!! But I want the books!!!!

Even though the $5/each auction/won't combine shipping is listed, it still irks me. I, too, do not believe that is a reasonable amount. Zeph has a great oration about that in another discussion, and I totally agree with him.

If you are still going to get the books MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THEM EACH SENT SEPERATE since he doesn't discount or combine.

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by dino »

He can't cancel auctions like that unless you want to as well. They are, as he says, binding contracts. I would definitly get the books (they are good value) and as xo says make him ship them individually.

Eric Jackson
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Eric Jackson »

I wouldn't buy from them. They suck and try to make it spin it as though you are the one with the issues. I'd say skrew them out of the money.. not that it wont just sell to someone else though :/ they can eat the ebay fee's :)

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

johnpaulbill wrote:Have questions about a different seller -- vanderbooks. Has anybody won anything from him? Here's one of the three auctions I won from him:

"VANDERBOOKS SPECIALIZES IN PROVIDING COLLECTORS AND INVESTORS WITH THE VERY COLLECTIBLES AVAILABLE ANYWHERE!"

<chuckle>

You can buy the 'very collectibles available anywhere' from them. Cool, huh?

"SHIPPING AND HANDLING IS $5.00 PER ITEM, WE DO NOT COMBINE THESE FEES ON MULTIPLE AUCTIONS. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH OUR TERMS, PLEASE DO NOT BID."

At least they're upfront about their theft. It's a shame eBay doesn't clamp down on this nonsense. A person can sell 5 books, charge $25, and eBay will end the auction for 'excessive S&H'....but sell 5 books in 5 seperate auctions, do this, and be just fine.

Yet another eBay idiocy.

"WE ARE AN ELITE eBay POWERSELLER ACCOUNT SO BID WITH CONFIDENCE. "

This is an outright lie. You must maintain a 98% positive feedback rating to be a powerseller. Plus, being a powerseller has nothing to do with 'bidding with confidence'. It just means you have XX dollars in sales every month. I was a powerseller for four years. Unless you sell $25,000 a month, it gets you nothing, and it CERTAINLY has nothing to do with instilling confidence.

"PLEASE COMBINE ALL TOTAL BIDS AND ADD IN THE SHIPPING AND HANDLING FEES PER ITEM ONCE THE AUCTION ENDS. TO SAVE TIME PLEASE DO NOT E-MAIL US ASKING FOR THIS AVAILABLE INFORMATION. "

They forgot to say 'to save OUR time'. You have to not only pay them, but do their work for them.

"THIS WILL DELAY SHIPPING YOUR ORDERS."

Translation: we are spiteful, and if you dare e-mail us, we will purposely hold up shipping your item as punishment. Doesn't that just blow you the hell away?

"IF YOU MUST PHONE US, CALL (828)665-7715."

If you absolutely HAVE to bother us with your petty problems, HERE.

Mindblowing, yet, year after year after year, people like this continue to sell on eBay....and people continue to do business with them.

<shrug>

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

johnpaulbill wrote:
His reply:
John-

Thank-you,
Gregory @ Vanderbooks
(Owner, President & CEO)

I love sellers who list books without a reserve, and then, when they don't get the price they want, cry 'THIEF!!!'. It's hilarious.Yes, you walked into his store and DEMANDED the books for nothing. Uh huh. At gunpoint, no less.

I do like his 'ever again' accept payments through Paypal...it proves to me that he did at one time and that people (probably rightly so) filed chargebacks against him.

That said, JPB, you did goof by not reading the whole thing. I'd suck it up and eat it this time.

Customer service has died in America. We are becoming a nation of thieves, cheats, and arrogant snobs.

johnpaulbill

Post by johnpaulbill »

Amen Zeph. God bless capitalism at it's worst, eh?

I know I goofed on this, and the $26.97 is a good deal for the books ($20 for the Batman alone), so I will go on and pay him. Just his reply really got my goat is all. Now we all know ....:hope: :thumb:

johnpaulbill

Post by johnpaulbill »

Here he goes peddling a Bloodshot #0 autographed by Quesada. Retails for $95! This some new VVSS?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 61040&rd=1

:lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

What do you all think about that?
jp

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Geez.

I think it's pretty cool that it comes with a lifetime certificate of authenticity. I hate it when those run out after a few years.

This guy sounds like the cranky neighbor who always called the police when you stuck one toe in his yard.

johnpaulbill

Post by johnpaulbill »

He's got a new $95 book, with only $6 S&H (up from $5 a couple weeks ago)! :!:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

How do people live with themselves? I still haven't received my books (even though the check cleared a while ago)! jp

johnpaulbill

Post by johnpaulbill »

Received 2 of the 3 today. Shipping was $1.42 in a manilla envelope and the books were packaged inbetween two cut out pieces of cardboard from the USPS priority mail boxes. Not bad for $15 in S&H, eh? jp

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

you should turn him in-using priority mail packaging for other than priority mail uses-isn't that a federal offense?

it would be pretty funny though-if you could actually get someone busted for that... :wink:
especially this guy...

x-omatic

Post by x-omatic »

johnpaulbill wrote:Received 2 of the 3 today. Shipping was $1.42 in a manilla envelope and the books were packaged inbetween two cut out pieces of cardboard from the USPS priority mail boxes. Not bad for $15 in S&H, eh? jp
That is a direct eBay violation. Report him.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/lis ... pping.html

johnpaulbill

Post by johnpaulbill »

Many weeks later and I still do not have the 3rd book. Emailed him the other day and here's his response:
11/20/04
<Book shipped and has not been returned. Shipped to the address you provided. You did not pay for insurance according to our records so what do you expect us to do if the book has not arrived?
Gregory @ Vanderbooks>

oh, he also says shipping insurance is not offered in the auction. Why do people have to be such *SQUEE*? All I want is the $%&(^&)ing book! :!: :!:

On 11/13 he told me: <Book was shipped last Friday by USPS to the address you provided us with.>
Now this should have been fine since I received the first two books! I'm definitely not going to give him a positive feedback, but what else can I do?