Does McFarlane have the rights to Miracleman yet?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

TheGreatSatan
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Does McFarlane have the rights to Miracleman yet?

Post by TheGreatSatan »

I had heard that McFarlane was trying to get the rights to Miracleman. Does anyone know how this is going?

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

The last I heard Gaiman was the one with the US rights to Miracleman and that McFarlane was appealing it.

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!
Re: Does McFarlane have the rights to Miracleman yet?

Post by Lightning Strike »

TheGreatSatan wrote:I had heard that McFarlane was trying to get the rights to Miracleman. Does anyone know how this is going?
No, and if there's any justice in this world, Gaiman will get the rights to it.

TheGreatSatan
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by TheGreatSatan »

I'd rather have McFarlane get the rights so we can see a Miracleman rebirth. Gaiman will leave it dead forever.

schi0249
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by schi0249 »

This mess makes the VEI/vip situation look tame. While both McFarlan and Gaiman have claimed ownership so have 3 or 4 other people previously involved in the series.

Lightning Strike

TheGreatSatan wrote:I'd rather have McFarlane get the rights so we can see a Miracleman rebirth. Gaiman will leave it dead forever.
Why? So he can "Imagey" it up and turn it into trash? No thanks, I'd rather it stay dead.
Besides, Gaiman has already said that he'd like to do more with the character, including reprints.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

TheGreatSatan wrote:I'd rather have McFarlane get the rights so we can see a Miracleman rebirth. Gaiman will leave it dead forever.
McFarlane has never written, drawn, or done a damn thing with the character other than use it as bargaining chip to get Gaiman to stop suing
him over royalties that McFarlane owned Gaiman for Medieval Spawn, Angela, and Cog.

Gaiman already has a publisher waiting for the legal mess to be resolved
so that new TPBs can be printed and Gaiman's Silver Age and Dark Age story lines can be finally be told, not only that they're helping him pay the legal fees and that publisher is none other than Marvel Comics.

Gaiman has already stated that he wants to finish his Miracleman trilogy because he wants to finish what he started.

Todd McFarlane on the other hand has filed Chapter 13 Bankruptcy on his companies and only wants the rights because he needs the money and so he can rub it in Gaiman and Marvel's faces.

McFarlane has acted like at best during all this like raving madman and at
his worst a complete *SQUEE* bag.

Gaiman has acted more like a true gentleman, only calling McFarlane a madman because he acted like one.

IF God forbid should McFarlane get the rights I think that a lot of die hard Miracleman wouldn't buy it because simply put he didn't do a damn thing to earn it and he has no clue how to tell a Miracleman story.

Lightning Strike

Jay Tomio wrote:In the greatest publicity coup ever Gaiman should write it and McFarlane pencil it with all proceeds going to the Hero Initiative. :thumb:
No thanks. I don't want McFarlane having anything to do with Miracleman. Now, what would be really cool would be to see someone like Alan Davis team up with Gaiman as artist on the book. THAT would get some serious $$$

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

Lightning Strike wrote:
Jay Tomio wrote:In the greatest publicity coup ever Gaiman should write it and McFarlane pencil it with all proceeds going to the Hero Initiative. :thumb:
No thanks. I don't want McFarlane having anything to do with Miracleman. Now, what would be really cool would be to see someone like Alan Davis team up with Gaiman as artist on the book. THAT would get some serious $$$
Or guys like Jim Lee, Bryan Hitch, Alex Ross, and Jim Starlin would also do.

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

The whole sorry sage of how Mcfarlane treated creators like Gaiman is old hat and so is the Miracleman court case.

Mcfarlane will thankfully never get his hands on it as it is not his to have.

He was just foolish and a big enough bully to think he could wrangle his way to ownership with some clever legal BULLS**T

Todd Mcfarlane is the single most overhyped creator ever to grace the comics industry. ( well Liefeld aside but hes in a league no one else could ever dream of competing in)

At the beginning of an era where the comic world at large was in constant need of the next big thing along came Mr Mcfarlane with his neat scritchy scratchy style and big Spider-man eyes.

Sure his pictures were dynamic but the second he was left to his own devices ( Spiderman #1 anyone?) he fell apart like every primadonna artist before and after him.

With no editorial control he sucked. His Spiderman comic was truly awful and it actually made me stop collecting Amazing and other titles which i had almost completed by the early Nineties.

It looked great but he had no idea how to tell a story and everyone and his/her dog jumped on board and no one had the balls to say "hey hold on a minute" !!! " WTF" !!! "this story is pointless old toss "

The emperor's new clothes anyone.

Then another equally overhyped ( but with absolutely no talent) artist actually had a good idea. Rob Liefeld came up with the idea of a shared comic publisher where all creators owned 100% of their own ideas.

All the early titles Savage dragon aside were really poor.

Spawn was and still is pathetic nonsense which looks half good.

IS there any point to anything he has done through Image at all?

Can anyone tell me of a single thought provoking story or idea Mcfarlane has come up with in the Spawn universe since day 1 ?

Has anything actually happened in spawn in what is close to 200 issues.

So why oh why would we want to give something which is oozing class and been graced with the pen of some literary masters to Mcfarlane?

Miracleman was is and will always be something thought provoking and for the slightly more intelligent reader.

Nothing Mcfarlane has created and will ever create will fit into the above sentence.

If you are of above average intelligence and have in the past bought Spawn or Mfarlane products i can only assume it was from and artistic viewpoint as there is nothing else involved ( top Cow anyone).

Im done here.

Apologies if i have offended anyone but come on Mcfarlane is a *SQUEE* in the same vain as Wizard magazine !!!

NUFF SAID.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Draco

Post by Draco »

In terms of publicity i would have to agree that Mcfarlane is a massive draw and even though i think the guy is a tool he can draw.

I just think he is held in too high regard and its not deserved. I would be foolish to suggest he is not a talented man but find his style never moved on from the early nineties. There are too many aspects of his style that just dont cut it.

I hear people fawn over him and similar artists and don't think he comes to close to someone of Alan Davis's caliber who does not receive anywhere near the recognition.

Of course thats probably because Alan Davis doesnt feel the need for the spotlight media attention and so gets recognition in accordance with this.

Jay I would like to point out that i wasn't actually making reference to what you said and was genuinely ranting about Mcfarlane without doing much more than glancing over your comment at first so i apologize if it came off that way and i was certainly not calling you stupid.

My point about his lack of storytelling abilities stand though.

Did you really enjoy reading Spawn or did you get it because it was visually stimulating?

Also the main point i was trying to get a cross (aside from Mcfarlane being a *SQUEE* bag :) was that Mcfarlane is all aesthetics and someone such as Gaiman and especially the Miracleman property were not.

Gaiman could have anyone of a decent caliber on the art chores and make it of high standard whereas Mcfarlane never had anything but the art side going for him. I never found a single character he created half interesting or of any substance or depth.

:wink:

Draco

Post by Draco »

Cheers dude you're a top guy Jay.

I should be careful what i say anyhow in case anyone sees whats in my collection.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ncameron
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 92 ish
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Q & W "clang"
Favorite writer: VH1: Shooter

Post by ncameron »

I have the first 50 odd issues of Spawn.

I dug it as any 12-13 year would at the time, but I do think Todd's writing evolved a lot in that time. The first 5-7 issues of Spawn were kind of brutal. But then having Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Dave Sim and (a precursor to All Star Batman and Robin) Frank Miller write an issue, improved his own writing.

In regards to Miracleman I would like to see Gaiman finish his arc with Buckingham as intended. But mostly I want the first 16 issues collected.

Also I want any memory of the McFarlane Miracleman statue to go the way of the X-O bike.

-Neil

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I would just like to read Miracleman.

So how ever I can get TPBs re-printed, that is what I am infavor of.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

Elveen wrote:I would just like to read Miracleman.

:thumb:

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

Elveen wrote:I would just like to read Miracleman.

You get the Eclipse TPBs but that will cost some big bucks (especially vol. 3).

andrew
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by andrew »

I would just like to see Gaiman finish his arcs and have a nice collection come out. Miracleman isn't a character that I want to see stretch on for however many years.

Draco

Post by Draco »

I have some TPB's that will be on sale here in two week so keep watching

myron
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

Draco wrote:I have some TPB's that will be on sale here in two week so keep watching
:hm: