Re-Reading: Magnus Robot Fighter #20

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

How would you rate this book?

No votes
33%
No votes
33%
33%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 3

xoken
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Re-Reading: Magnus Robot Fighter #20

Post by xoken »

I thought we could do a book a day (that way people can read one every day or catch up on weekends), talk about it on its own, in the context of whats next, in regards to what expectations it creates and vote on how good it is. I don't have to be the one that posts everyday. If I miss a day or if someone wants to take over please do

For voting think of your single favourite comic book (not just VALIANT) as the benchmark - thats a 10 - and grade according to that.

Make sure to mention what you like'd about the book, what you didn't, what you wish they would have done, your favourite panels, lines of dialogue, little bits of trivia etc.

Magnus Robot Fighter #20

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: Re-Reading: Magnus Robot Fighter #20

Post by magnusr »

A cute little story that gives me somewhat mixed feelings. It says Story by Jim Shooter. I wonder how and if it was meant to be used and how much was added from the basic idea of Jim. As it is, it contradicts the looming but rather unknown threat that is the premise of Steen Nation. Also, sometimes the cute borders to silly. It works best when not taken too seriously. As a fill-in-story I like it.

/Magnus

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

We get one last issue by Shooter and Colon. Since both had been off the book for several monthes and Shooter's name has accompanied with three or four different writers on the rest of the stuff published after his departure, it seems pretty likely this was a fill-in issue done earlier before Shooter was booted.

It's 100% pure joy to read. Beautiful to behold. Smartly written and just a ton of fun. The idea of doing an adventure with young Magnus was great as was seeing Mars. It's ashame we never got to see Mars again (atleast not while I collected the future titles).

A great issue to end Shooter's run on the book. A 9 :thumb:

Now get ready to see everyone's IQ cut in half starting next issue... :wink:

Continuity Note:
If you're reading Unity 2000 Shooter's version of Magnus and North Am ends here. 21 and on is another one of those warped realities according to U2000 (Shooter was always master of the understatement :P )

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Seaborn's synopsis:

A flashback to Magnus’ youth when 1-A was still training him to be a robot fighter. As Magnus grows into adolescence he begins to resent the constant training. 1-A’s “friend” Grandmother advises 1-A to provide Magnus a break in training. 1-A takes him to Mars on vacation where he observes freewills attempt to abduct the Governor’s daughter. He rescues her but is chased by the Rogues. After a long run, he and the girl are rescued by loyal Pol-Robs. He then retrieves 1-A, who was nearly suspected of being a freewill, and returns to Earth. 1-A sees a great improvement in Magnus’ attitude and sense of well being.

/Magnus