Re-Reading: Magnus Robot Fighter #17

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

How would you rate this book?

No votes
50%
50%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 2

xoken
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Re-Reading: Magnus Robot Fighter #17

Post by xoken »

I thought we could do a book a day (that way people can read one every day or catch up on weekends), talk about it on its own, in the context of whats next, in regards to what expectations it creates and vote on how good it is. I don't have to be the one that posts everyday. If I miss a day or if someone wants to take over please do

For voting think of your single favourite comic book (not just VALIANT) as the benchmark - thats a 10 - and grade according to that.

Make sure to mention what you like'd about the book, what you didn't, what you wish they would have done, your favourite panels, lines of dialogue, little bits of trivia etc.

Magnus Robot Fighter #17

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: Re-Reading: Magnus Robot Fighter #17

Post by magnusr »

Here, like in several other titles, Unity was retold. It does take away from the pace. The story after that however, is good old-fashioned robot-smashing, a bit modernised and based on the new insights Magnus has learned during Steel Nation. Magnus wins by intelligence, determination and what strength he can still muster. Because he's a hero. That part is a 9, the total issue an 8.

/Magnus

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

Eventually, even if Shooter had been able to stay with Valiant, he wouldn't have continued writing the majority of the titles and they would've been handed to other writers.

Here is what that SHOULD'VE been like. A completely faithful, tightly written story that has all of Shooter's complexities in the background combined with a straight foward (yet clever) Manning robot fighting plot. If this had been what Post-Shooter Magnus was like it would've been a joy to read.

The art is spectacular. To see a millispire fall at the beginning was a sight to behold. Talpa is built up as an invincible bad a$$. The reader keeps wondering how the hell do you defeat an indestructible robot. And the answer doesn't disappoint.

The Magscrag fight may be the best one-on-one battle in the book, but only by a hair. The battle with Talpa was unforgettable. I loved Magnus telling them to melt Talpa's insides afterwards because he doesn't want to ever go through that again (don't you wish things like that happened more often in comics?)

And letting Leeja experience Unity was really neat, especially when she became Magnus. It was interesting to see her reaction and amazement at what it felt like to be Magnus. And seeing Brock draw Unity was a joy.

A 9.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Seaborn's synopsis:

Talpa’s conquest of North Am continues and it demands the surrender of Magnus. The High Council enlists Leeja Clane’s aid in locating Magnus. Solar homes in on Leeja’s mental probe and returns an exhausted Magnus from the Lost Land. Leeja buys recuperation time for Magnus by deceiving Talpa into returning to San-Gabriel. There Magnus utilizes extreme heat and cold to weaken Talpa’s “new” metal and destroy him. An exhausted Magnus refuses a heroes welcome in North Am and returns to his Goph Lev home.

/Magnus