Unity #11 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Re: Unity #11 Discussion

Post by jmatt »

Tony_H wrote:
jmatt wrote:OMG, that's one of the few issues of World's Finest that I own! :lol:

( It turns out that those are robot mockups that Batman created and ran through an obstacle course of bad guys to see how they'd fare in the real world -- I LOVE those old tease covers!)
Wow, I grabbed that link at random. If I recall correctly, Bats has imperiled his friends and allies more than once with device tests. Origin of Prof. X's Danger Room, maybe. Make me wonder how many characters, plotlines and imaginary inventions in contemporary comics (and litfic) were prefigured in golden age-silver age DC books. :hm:
I found an image of my copy (that's how much I love that cover). I guess after like 30 years, you've told every possible story you can with the characters and then can start to get away with ridiculous come-ons like this.

Wow, I just figured out how to post images from OneDrive. Now to figure out how to shrink it... there, that's a little better.

Aomalle27
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 90s
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: XOmanowar
Favorite writer: ?

Post by Aomalle27 »

finally got around to reading this issue and unfortunately I was MIGHTLY disappointed Ninjak develops a solution to the GinGr drones 6 years before Armor Hunters?! It just reads like a cheap cop out And when did Ninjak become a all knowing techno genius? This was a poor finale to a story arc that read so good in the first 3 issues Man, if this is how the rest of AH is going to play out Ill consider dropping Valiant all together Shoddy, thrown together work I feel cheated

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

You guys are being incredibly nitpicky. This is a superhero comic book.

Things happen Because Comics.

I really enjoyed this issue. Armor Hunters is just plain awesome!
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

For me, the best thing about this title so far has been the budding partnership/friendship of Gilad and Ninjak. Kindt has nailed some essential elements of both of their personalities that allows them to play off each other rather nicely.

But the 'team' aspect of this title has been lost somewhat. Livewire seems relegated to a secondary tech support status (yes, that's her power but I don't see or feel the same connection between her and the others as I do see between Gilad and Ninjak). And I thought Aric was going to finally be fighting alongside them here (even though he's on the cover.....)

I do like the hints of Ninjak's past, his Batman-moment here (yes, it seems far-fetched but hey, a ninja has to anticipate every contingency) but when did immortality = invulnerability? That seemed more far-fetched to me.

Still, their best AH tie-in issue.

apainter
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by apainter »

slack wrote:Eternal warrior, running around with an axe, sword, and hood like he's back in Sherwood forest... is getting old, and makes little sense. I guess his distaste for technology from 4001 started a very long time ago.
It makes him seem like far more of a barbarian displaced in time than Aric...
Why does Ninjak seem to get a pass on this? Because he has a theme? At least Gilad uses a gun once in awhile. Ninjak took on alien hyenas with swords and throwing stars... why, exactly? Also, his costume has camo ability, but I can't imagine the design is very practical. The cloth panels around his legs and the belt sash would seem to me to be dangerous in battle; easy to get caught on something or become tangled on his legs.
jmatt wrote:And now I know Gillie self heals and all, but did I just see him fall out of a plane, plow 6 stories through a skyscraper and not take a scratch? The physics aside (he would have simply splattered against the side of the building, he doesn't have the speed, mass and non-deformity to penetrate multiple layers of concrete, rebar and steel decking), how is he not at least unconscious? When did he become Utterly Indestructible?
I know! He used that axe you guys are always complaining about to chop his way through the building as he was falling! Or maybe it's the Ladahkian Sacred Axe of Invulnerability, and that's why he always carries it around?

I didn't have a problem with the uber device Ninjak used. It looks like a weapon that would have multiple uses. It's not like the aliens made a nail and Ninjak just happened to have created a hammer; it's more like they created a nail and Ninjak happened to have a metal pipe. It gets the job done, but it wasn't necessarily created for that specific purpose.

Art

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

KXXX wrote:"Villain Guy has unleashed giant monsters only vulnerable to bees, but never fear because Hero Dude just happened to be working on a gun that shoots bees!"
I would pay good money for an issue of Hero Dude where he wields a gun that shoots bees.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

kjjohanson wrote:
KXXX wrote:"Villain Guy has unleashed giant monsters only vulnerable to bees, but never fear because Hero Dude just happened to be working on a gun that shoots bees!"
I would pay good money for an issue of Hero Dude where he wields a gun that shoots bees.
Especially if Villain Guy was the antagonist.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

lorddunlow wrote:You guys are being incredibly nitpicky.
We are. But like you said, it's comics. Fanboys nitpick. Somebody has to. :P

Each reader comes to an issue with a preconceived suspension of disbelief based on their experience with comics and superheroes in general, and with the universe and its heroes in specific.

I blithely accept that Ninjak has his flying hovercraft vehicle because his affinity for high tech is part of his character. Is it any more or less believable than an ageless, immortal warrior? I dunno. But that's what we're here to discuss.

In doing so, we effect each other's perspective and alter the preconceptions for our suspension of disbelief in future issues. This is especially true for characters in a relatively new universe, where there isn't 40 years of canon that must be hewed to.

In reading other opinions in this thread, for instance, I find myself agreeing with you that it's nitpicky to reject the idea that Ninjak might have had the technology to thwart Gin-GR's drones. It's his thing. And in future issues, I may find my preconceptions of his power-set altered not just by this issue, but by this discussion.

But as for EW's ability to plow through skyscrapers and not take a scratch (or at all, given the physics) -- I can't find my way to justifying that. That would mean that going forward, I would have to add utter invulnerability to his power-set of immortality and incredible healing. Villains could drop a small concrete building on his head and I wouldn't have to worry, he can simply shrug off such damage. That takes my preconceptions somewhere I don't want them to go. He's not Superman, he's Gilad Ani-Padda.

In the end though, you're right, it's just comics. I enjoyed the issue.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

jmatt wrote:
In the end though, you're right
I think it moved...

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

lorddunlow wrote:
jmatt wrote:
I think it moved...
:lol:

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

Aomalle27 wrote:finally got around to reading this issue and unfortunately I was MIGHTLY disappointed Ninjak develops a solution to the GinGr drones 6 years before Armor Hunters?! It just reads like a cheap cop out And when did Ninjak become a all knowing techno genius? This was a poor finale to a story arc that read so good in the first 3 issues Man, if this is how the rest of AH is going to play out Ill consider dropping Valiant all together Shoddy, thrown together work I feel cheated
The way I took it as he has a plan for most any circumstance he is in.That is why he is one of the greatest weapon masters on earth.He saw the need for it and took years to build the device.He probably has other devices each with a different purpose.
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

kjjohanson wrote:
:thumb:
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

Holy *SQUEE*, this title has gone to issue #11? How many... no, wait, maybe I don't want to know.

:|

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

comicsyte95 wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
Closest I can think of is this.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

jmatt wrote:
comicsyte95 wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
I didn't click yet, but I'm going to guess rocket-propelled chainsaw?

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

kjjohanson wrote:
jmatt wrote:
comicsyte95 wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
Okay, you were thinking literally the closest reference to that exact thing. I was thinking similar feel:

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Rock ... d_Chainsaw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

kjjohanson wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
jmatt wrote:
comicsyte95 wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
Okay, you were thinking literally the closest reference to that exact thing. I was thinking similar feel:

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Rock ... d_Chainsaw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How is it that i haven't seen that in a zombie movie yet?

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

jmatt wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
jmatt wrote:
I think it moved...
:lol:
:barf:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I found this issue... mildly disappointing overall.

And it wasn't anything in the writing, I have to say I did not enjoy the art much at all here. This was an issue that had some fill-in artistic assistance, and that unfortunately took me out of fully enjoying the book. I like Segovia's work generally, I think he tries really hard to create dynamic action but sometimes the perspective, panel flow and composition are a little off which I also find jarring to the reading experience. A lot of the inking felt rushed & rough to look at. I hate to criticize a solid pro artist, but there it is.

As to the writing - tons of great ideas in here - I don't find it to be a weak shortcut to delve further into Ninjak's mental abilities as Matt did. Its nowhere near Archer's akashic record access - its simply mental training to perfect his own photographic memory. He only has access to recalling things he has learned, and he happens to be a bit of a genius in that he can piece divergent ideas together to problem solve very quickly.

My impression of the device he came up with to stop the drones was not that he previously spent years building a device that he just happens to need for this moment, but rather he had a creative flash & made something spur-of-the-moment out of various separate components/devices he keeps on his person - each of which was developed on its own, to its own purpose, at different times in his past. There is room to abuse this idea, for sure, but I didn't find anything too far fetched about it here. Its pretty cool actually. It does kind of equate Ninjak to the Batman/Iron Man/ tech genius stereotype... but he is a ninja. A NINJA! Thats just really cool. :lol:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:

My impression of the device he came up with to stop the drones was not that he previously spent years building a device that he just happens to need for this moment, but rather he had a creative flash & made something spur-of-the-moment out of various separate components/devices he keeps on his person - each of which was developed on its own, to its own purpose, at different times in his past. There is room to abuse this idea, for sure, but I didn't find anything too far fetched about it here. Its pretty cool actually. It does kind of equate Ninjak to the Batman/Iron Man/ tech genius stereotype... but he is a ninja. A NINJA! Thats just really cool. :lol:
QFT

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

QFT
Thanks, but... aren't you on vacation right now? You realize that when you go on vacation, we all get a vacation here, right?

:poke: :lol: :kidaround:

Hope you enjoy yourself, BTW. :thumb:

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

QFT
Thanks, but... aren't you on vacation right now? You realize that when you go on vacation, we all get a vacation here, right?

Sure am!

We already rode the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror (twice!) and Toy Story Midway Mania. We love Disney.

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

QFT

Sure am!

We already rode the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror (twice!) and Toy Story Midway Mania. We love Disney.
tower of terror is awesome

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

ilzuccone wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

QFT

Sure am!

tower of terror is awesome
I was nervous my son would be scared (he turns four in October and just hit the height requirements for many rides recently), but he loved it and begged to go again.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

lorddunlow wrote:We already rode the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror (twice!) and Toy Story Midway Mania. We love Disney.
Whoa, you're on vacation again? Have fun! Gonna do universal? I'm not a huge fan of the series, but that new Harry Potter ride was perhaps the best I've ever been on.