The Path to Pop Culture Ubiquity

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Re: The Path to Pop Culture Ubiquity

Post by Sven the Returned »

Baramos wrote:Re: Advertising,

I think what we're seeing with Valiant is quality over quantity. For example, take the t-shirts on their new store, for $23 I'm sure you get a very nice quality shirt, but if they charged 15 bucks and put them on whatever cheapo shirt, they'd probably sell more and get more people wearing them at conventions to help "spread the word" or whatever. I will probably spring for the Bloodshot shirt but I have to "talk myself into it". Like clearly the product is not being made with the purpose of advertising the "brand" like with so many other things, but with actually providing the fan with something to enjoy. It's endearing but probably not the best move if your main goal is "cultural ubiquity".

BUT in the end maybe people will be more attracted to a company that is genuine in their intentions.

Re: Movies and cartoons, etc.

I would watch them, but it is hard to judge how successful that kind of thing could be. There was a Turok movie made a few years ago, for instance, but I'm pretty sure it sold poorly, and as a fan I didn't find it that enjoyable, either. So direct-to-DVD is an option but to be more successful it might make more sense to try and release it digitally on Netflix or something as well if they were ever to go the route of animated features. I for one enjoy animated features quite a bit, but they have to be a good quality of animation (take the new DC animated movies as a blueprint, I've found most of them to be phenomenal).
Why don't people just scan a scene from the comic they like and put in the shirt. That's how i do it.

Sir Sandrick
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: X-O/Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Sir Sandrick »

I think that a live action TV show could be cool with Shadowman, Harbinger, or Bloodshot. HARD Corps could be really cool too a la the A Team.

As fun to think about as a Valiant Cartoon series is, it just feels wrong for some reason, like a desperate grab at a younger demographic or something.

However, what I do think could be really cool is a straight to DVD or Netflix/Amazon/Etc movie or two featuring the Valiant characters. Kind of like those Mass Effect, Dead Space, and Halo ones that were done recently. I am not saying that those were all of the best quality (but I did like the first Dead Space one though) but I think that it would be a great way for Valiant to get some exposure for its characters in that media as well as control the project tightly.

Imagine "The Animatrix" format with Valiant characters instead... THAT would get me really excited. If that came out before or during the live action movies, I think it would be really smart on their part. I would love to see different art styles of the universe too... A full CG Bloodshot story... a anime influenced Shadowman created by Madhouse... Maybe all revolving around Unity or something... gives me goosebumps.

missjay
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by missjay »

Interesting thread!

I love the idea of these characters in the animation. I love Batman (in animation) and have watched all the latest movies WB has turned out these past few years.
A few of my favorites being Red Hood and Batman Year One.

But I think I was most impressed by Batman Gotham Knights. I'm not really a fan of anime, just good animation, and I think that the different styles demonstrated in BGK provides a wide range of what is capable.

Baramos

Post by Baramos »

Forgotten Manchu vet wrote: Why don't people just scan a scene from the comic they like and put in the shirt. That's how i do it.
I don't have a printer capable of that.

MrDomino
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Faith
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by MrDomino »

Sir Sandrick wrote:I think that a live action TV show could be cool with Shadowman
Be careful what you wish for. Be very, VERY careful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Man" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(I know, not technically the same character, but he was always a thinly-veiled knockoff)
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

Baramos wrote:
Forgotten Manchu vet wrote: Why don't people just scan a scene from the comic they like and put in the shirt. That's how i do it.
I don't have a printer capable of that.
There are plenty of images on Comicvine or you if you already bought it just pirate and delete without reading the whole thing.