One Valiant title a week...how soon?

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one
One Valiant title a week...how soon?

Post by Captain Craig »

Right now VALIANT has 5 titles, lets treat it like it's 6 since that's right around the corner.

The 6 titles are:
  • 1. XO Manowar
    2. Harbinger
    3. Bloodshot
    4. Archer & Armstrong
    5. Shadowman
    6. Quantum & Woody
Currently XO & Harby come out the same week AND Bloodshot & A/A come out together. I think I have that right.
At any rate we have a week where nothing comes out, unless Q&W fills that spot. It could be lumped with Shadowman, which I think might happen meaning we have one week every month(two weeks twice a year in 2 months) that there is no VALIANT book on the shelf.

How long till that changes? I'm thinking the upcoming FCBD is going to have the news of the new ongoing titles but will those fill the weekly gap or be lumped into being released on the same day as our current books. Giving us more titles on our current "on" weeks and not filling the "off" week with a book.

Will those titles be:
  • * HARD Corps
    * Eternal Warrior
I'm hoping so, that would be a great 4th week of books to pick up together I think!!!

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: One Valiant title a week...how soon?

Post by BugsySig »

Once all 8 are announced, and August Solicits are released, I think we will see a shuffling of books so 2 titles ship each week, with new titles shipping the same week as an established title.

I think that would work especially well if, for example, HARD Corps shipped the same week as Harbinger or Bloodshot, or Eternal Warrior the same week as A&A or XO. Get the existing buyer to pick up a title they may already be familiar with from their appearances.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

blujay
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 2011
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by blujay »

i can't wait for the new titles to launch, I hate no Valiant weeks like this :P

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

BugsySig wrote:Once all 8 are announced, and August Solicits are released, I think we will see a shuffling of books so 2 titles ship each week, with new titles shipping the same week as an established title.

I think that would work especially well if, for example, HARD Corps shipped the same week as Harbinger or Bloodshot, or Eternal Warrior the same week as A&A or XO. Get the existing buyer to pick up a title they may already be familiar with from their appearances.
I think that'd work well too, I'd like it done that way personally, linked/similar titles shipping together.

I guess my weird thing is that I like picking up a stack of comics all at once. I'm out of work at the moment so I've more or less banned myself going out and buying stuff, but I really enjoyed making my once monthly trip to the next town over this month to pick up x3 comics all at once. When I was just picking up Shadowman and Bloodshot it was like "Okay, I've picked them up, home again to read them now", but this month with Harbinger Wars too it was more like "Sweet, a stack of comics to read!" :D So I'll probably just do that from now on regardless, as I'm adding Q+W to the pullbox.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Cropsy Chris wrote:
blujay wrote:i can't wait for the new titles to launch, I hate no Valiant weeks like this :P
I try to fill the gap by grabbing some of the old Valiant titles. I'm only subscribed to three titles right now (Shadowman, X-O Manowar, Bloodshot) so there is always a wait but that may change. I still have to give Archer and Armstrong a chance, I may just today.
No Harbinger? That makes my head hurt, and saddens me as well. Harbinger is number one of VEI and number 2 of my overall pull list. Only Manhattan Projects is higher, and I think with this Harbinger Wars arc, it may overtake it. Bloodshot is my number 2 VEI book currently.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

bribri
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by bribri »

Does the Shadowman TPB come out today?

Captain Craig

Post by Captain Craig »

bribri wrote:Does the Shadowman TPB come out today?
Yes.

No new monthly this week though.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I showed up at my LCS today expecting Valiant titles. Don't know why. But it would be nice to have something waiting every Wednesday.

Captain Craig

Post by Captain Craig »

Cropsy Chris wrote:I've since subscribed to all titles. I liked Archer and Armstrong and Harbingers had the strongest writing I think. Plus I'm excited about the Harbinger Wars. Cool stuff.
Good call. :clap:

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Cropsy Chris wrote:I've since subscribed to all titles. I liked Archer and Armstrong and Harbingers had the strongest writing I think. Plus I'm excited about the Harbinger Wars. Cool stuff.
Yay! Peer pressure FTW!! Seriously, I don't think you'll regret it.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:
Yay! Peer pressure FTW!! Seriously, I don't think you'll regret it.
:high-five: :lol:

Of all the current Valiant books, I can't imagine trying Harbinger & NOT liking it, especially now that the first arc is out there easily available in trade for cheap. Glad you dig it, Cropsy! :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Captain Craig

Post by Captain Craig »

*SIGH*
Just looking over the Diamond solicits in prep for going to the LCS tomorrow and this is one of THOSE weeks.

NO VALIANT titles!! :(

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Since I only visit my LCS once a month usually, it does not affect me.

That said, it would make some sense to have something VALIANT new on the shelves each and every week.

Some LCS (many? most?) don't mix tpb and comic book releases in the same sections, therefore dropping in the tpb's does not automatically fill that 'hole' on the shelf.

VALIANT has possibly the best trade dress of any line right now, which is very bold and distinctive with those white logos and recognizable style motifs. It could be argued that seeing something like that each and every week on the shelves will help draw attention of currently non-VALIANT readers more than two issues one week and none the next.

EDKIT: spelling. <Sigh>
Last edited by leonmallett on Wed May 22, 2013 1:22:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

I think they need to get up to 8 titles for that very reason. 2 books per week keeps you firmly in the market consciousness. Shooter said as much about the original launch of VALIANT heading into Unity (they ended up with 9, but part of me wonders if that was just so they could do those 9-part interlocking covers :D )

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

BugsySig wrote:I think they need to get up to 8 titles for that very reason. 2 books per week keeps you firmly in the market consciousness. Shooter said as much about the original launch of VALIANT heading into Unity (they ended up with 9, but part of me wonders if that was just so they could do those 9-part interlocking covers :D )
I thought they were 8 part? 2 issues for each book =16, plus Unity #0 and #1 =18 total Right? :?

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

lorddunlow wrote:
BugsySig wrote:I think they need to get up to 8 titles for that very reason. 2 books per week keeps you firmly in the market consciousness. Shooter said as much about the original launch of VALIANT heading into Unity (they ended up with 9, but part of me wonders if that was just so they could do those 9-part interlocking covers :D )
I thought they were 8 part? 2 issues for each book =16, plus Unity #0 and #1 =18 total Right? :?
You are right...8 books...Why was I counting 9 :hm:

Either I was thinking 18 parts and divided by 2, or I was flashing back to my Unity trading card pages :lol:

bribri

Post by bribri »

Captain Craig wrote:*SIGH*
Just looking over the Diamond solicits in prep for going to the LCS tomorrow and this is one of THOSE weeks.

I hate to break it to you, but I think this is one of those "two" weeks. There's nothing new coming out on May 29 either. The next new regular issues are on June 5.

I want my money back... Oh, wait, I didn't spend any money because there were no books to buy.

Captain Craig

Post by Captain Craig »

bribri wrote:
Captain Craig wrote:*SIGH*

I hate to break it to you, but I think this is one of those "two" weeks. There's nothing new coming out on May 29 either. The next new regular issues are on June 5.

I want my money back... Oh, wait, I didn't spend any money because there were no books to buy.
I'm so fu :censored: ing *SQUEE* now!!! :wink:
Seriously, guess it's cause May is one of those 5 week months that this has happened.

tchalla8
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by tchalla8 »

VEI really has to fix this. Three weeks between releases is kinda ridiculous. Any fringe customers are gonna forget all about Valiant during a stretch like that.
Spooooon!!!!

hunter_peterson
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway

Post by hunter_peterson »

The gap weeks are like having teeth pulled and then put back wrong... so I would like them once a week soon, please.

Seeing as this week was Annual week for DC, how would you guys feel about Valiant doing annuals or one-shots for these weeks? Once they have the month filled, of course. I would go nuts for that. :D

MrDomino
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Favorite character: Faith

Post by MrDomino »

I don't know that annuals is necessarily the right way to go - at least not the way DC's currently utilizing them. It makes sense for DC's marketbase, but for Valiant, I think a series of fifth-week one-shots that related to the ongoing books would work fantastically - you put out "Geomancer # 1" with a cool cover, and somebody who's maybe heard about these Valiant books but hasn't tried them may pick it up. They get to the end of it, and "For the further adventures of Kay McHenry, check out Archer and Armstrong and Eternal Warrior, appearing monthly!" - that might be the tipping point to get new people to try those books. Obviously, us hardcore (hardcorps?) fans would be buying them all anyways, but they would need to be marketed specifically to people on the outside of the Valiant Universe, as gateways.

I think that would be a great use for the fifth-weeks, but that's just me.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

hunter_peterson
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway

Post by hunter_peterson »

MrDomino wrote:I don't know that annuals is necessarily the right way to go - at least not the way DC's currently utilizing them. It makes sense for DC's marketbase, but for Valiant, I think a series of fifth-week one-shots that related to the ongoing books would work fantastically - you put out "Geomancer # 1" with a cool cover, and somebody who's maybe heard about these Valiant books but hasn't tried them may pick it up. They get to the end of it, and "For the further adventures of Kay McHenry, check out Archer and Armstrong and Eternal Warrior, appearing monthly!" - that might be the tipping point to get new people to try those books. Obviously, us hardcore (hardcorps?) fans would be buying them all anyways, but they would need to be marketed specifically to people on the outside of the Valiant Universe, as gateways.

I would buy the hell out of a Geomancer one shot, now that you mention it... that sort of thing would be pretty awesome. Of course, theoretically those could work as annual-sized issues too. Sort of like the National Comics initiative at DC they tried a while back? I want!

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

MrDomino wrote:I don't know that annuals is necessarily the right way to go - at least not the way DC's currently utilizing them. It makes sense for DC's marketbase, but for Valiant, I think a series of fifth-week one-shots that related to the ongoing books would work fantastically - you put out "Geomancer # 1" with a cool cover, and somebody who's maybe heard about these Valiant books but hasn't tried them may pick it up. They get to the end of it, and "For the further adventures of Kay McHenry, check out Archer and Armstrong and Eternal Warrior, appearing monthly!" - that might be the tipping point to get new people to try those books. Obviously, us hardcore (hardcorps?) fans would be buying them all anyways, but they would need to be marketed specifically to people on the outside of the Valiant Universe, as gateways.

It's a great idea. For VEI its just a matter of cost in terms of paying creative teams, printing costs, shipping, etc.

Captain Craig

Post by Captain Craig »

We don't do annuals....we do Yearbooks.
Stay with it folks! :wink:

I'd be all for that of course.....once we get our title a week per month down. Then we can figure out those months with an extra week.

Yearbooks one month. Double Size one shot the next month, a flip book even...hmmmm

A Bi-Yearly anthology title that is 80 pages with various characters who don't have a book or try out for a new character?

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

So, this 2 week period without Valiant is made even worse by the fact that the drought ends with the 2 books I'm least looking forward to for VEI. No offense to the creative teams of Archer and Armstong and Shadowman, but they're no Harbinger or Bloodshot. X-O is usually below A&A (at least the last few issues), but I'm really wanting to see this X-O arc wrap up.