Forbidden planet SUPPORTS VALIANT, WITH PERSUASION FROM ME

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
Re: Forbidden planet gives valiant 6 months ~ but don't list

Post by GGSAE »

hawkeyeps wrote:This is the Franken-thread....IT'S ALIVE, IT'S ALIVE!!!

Wonder what happened to our old pal Charty?
I think he's in jail for a DUI....

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

Carson wrote:
hawkeyeps wrote:This is the Franken-thread....IT'S ALIVE, IT'S ALIVE!!!

Wonder what happened to our old pal Charty?

Sharty McCharty :D
Failey McChartenstien :D

Hey, I'm a sigh-lord now...sigh :|

Phantom..
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Location: The Royal Valiant Fans thank Dino and Svair for their kindness!
Re: Forbidden planet gives valiant 6 months

Post by Phantom.. »

What a great first proper post. :thumb:
Spoke to shadowman99 last night :thumb:

Shadowman99 wrote:Hey, first of all, I'm not entirely sure on how to come into this thread at such a late stage, especially with being the catalyst for the whole conversation initially, but I guess...

First off I'll apologise for anyone who got caught up in that flame war regarding that bloke who joined the forum and then wound you all up with that idiotic graph of his. I'm happy that that other fella turned up later with some decent data to continue the conversation with, because it's been a really good discussion (sans troll), and in that regard I'm glad that Phantom... mentioned our conversation here on the boards.

To begin with, I agree with Phantom: No hitting people because they make an unfavourable statement regarding Valiant comics in your opinion.:lol:

So, regarding the drop in sales of the first few months of comics:
I understand that the first issue of a comic usually sells well due to longtime fans wanting to read a new story and intrigued newcomers wanting to sample something new, and make a first impression and see if it's for them, and also the 'comic speculators' wanting to stockpile their 'Issue #1s' for future sale, and I also understand that people will probably buy a handful of issues (say maybe #'s 1-4/5) in order to see if they find the new comic/storyline interesting, so for me this suggests that the sales start to average out after approximately that point in time.

Personally, I think I'm just a bit of an oddball in that I like to make my long-term impression on the first issue, and either stick with it until it starts going downhill, or plain just don't buy issue one in the first place.
But going back to what Phantom... Said:"...if the story and art are strong, why do numbers drop? What are people expecting?" That's a mystery to me. I can't imagine why, with a comic in front of you that maintains great writing and great art over the duration of its publication, people would just suddenly lose their interest in it. There must be thousands upon thousands of variables that affect something like that... What could the basic ones be? People (as individuals) suddenly don't have the money to spend on luxuries for a period of time, they discover something that usurps said title in preference, their shop stops stocking it, maybe they just have a short attention span... Any ideas?

And as for comic speculating... I understand the thinking behind it, but totally agree that a comic is only worth what someone wants to pay for it. You could discover a copy of the Marvel horror story compilation comic in mint condition that contained the original Spiderman strip in your grandad's garage and put it on ebay expecting to make $$$; but if no-one is actually willing to pay that much for it, the auction ends and reveals your comic's value at that precise moment in time: $0. Not a cent. But of course, if there are thousands of die-hard Spiderman fans that are willing to bid against each other for the privillege of owning that particular rare comic, then who knows what it'd be worth at that moment in time...

Anyway, there's my first proper post in the forum for you all :funnypost:

Shadowman99
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

Hey, cheers dude.

Went into Forbidden Planet again today to pick up Shadowman issue three, and whilst I was there, had a look through the comic racks too.

Hate to say it, but I didn't find a single Valiant comic on the shelves at all. When I went and asked the guy to get shadowman out my reservation box for me I asked him how Valiant was selling in the branch, and he told me that it was selling well.

So why none on the shelves?

Apparently Valiant comics are selling well enough through people who're requesting them for their reservation boxes, but they're not really selling from the shelves.

As much as it may wind some on the forum up, perhaps the manager was right when he originally told me that he thought Valiant weren't advertising and marketing the product well enough. I suspect that the UK is probably regarded as a minor consideration when it comes to the marketing and advertising that Valiant wants to do, in regard to its relative geographical size when compared with the USA, but it's much more densely populated and I wonder if it would be worth Valiant putting a bit of cash towards marketing here?

I'm no business expert, and I have no idea what Valiant's overheads and production costs are, but I wonder if when it gets around to the point where the company is releasing trade paperbacks in the UK, they should put a bit of money towards some decent advertising and promote the fact that they're releasing the trade paperbacks all at once (Say, release Bloodshot, X-O, Shadowman, A+A and Harbinger all at the same time). Regardless of whether this is the right way to do it or not, my basic idea is:

"Valiant need to have a big 'event' happen in the UK, and promote it strongly beforehand to interest new readers"

I've literally just made that idea up on the spot and I'm sure it has its holes, but I'd love to know what everyone thinks about the idea and the situation that appears to be happening in Forbidden Planet, so please post here and have your say :)
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Paul Nolan
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by Paul Nolan »

Shadowman99 wrote: I'm no business expert, and I have no idea what Valiant's overheads and production costs are, but I wonder if when it gets around to the point where the company is releasing trade paperbacks in the UK, they should put a bit of money towards some decent advertising and promote the fact that they're releasing the trade paperbacks all at once (Say, release Bloodshot, X-O, Shadowman, A+A and Harbinger all at the same time). Regardless of whether this is the right way to do it or not, my basic idea is:
The TPB's are in the UK comic shops on the same day as US shops, just like the comics.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

Paul Nolan wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote: I'm no business expert, and I have no idea what Valiant's overheads and production costs are, but I wonder if when it gets around to the point where the company is releasing trade paperbacks in the UK, they should put a bit of money towards some decent advertising and promote the fact that they're releasing the trade paperbacks all at once (Say, release Bloodshot, X-O, Shadowman, A+A and Harbinger all at the same time). Regardless of whether this is the right way to do it or not, my basic idea is:
The TPB's are in the UK comic shops on the same day as US shops, just like the comics.
Yeah yeah, I know that. But what I'm saying is that Valiant needs to do *something* and make a big event of it that they can promote heavily, and that was just the first half-baked idea that I came up with.

A major flaw perhaps is that if the UK consumers had to wait considerably longer than their US counterparts in order to read the same book, they'd feel neglected and probably drop the brand anyway. On the other hand say, releasing a 'UK only' trade paperback or issue of any/each individual comic would make the US consumers feel the same way, and wouldn't be financially viable anyway.

Can anyone think of something that Valiant could heavily promote and make a 'big event' of to really grab the majority of comic-buyer's attentions?

Carson
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by Carson »

Shadowman99 wrote:
Paul Nolan wrote:
Yeah yeah, I know that. But what I'm saying is that Valiant needs to do *something* and make a big event of it that they can promote heavily, and that was just the first half-baked idea that I came up with.

A major flaw perhaps is that if the UK consumers had to wait considerably longer than their US counterparts in order to read the same book, they'd feel neglected and probably drop the brand anyway. On the other hand say, releasing a 'UK only' trade paperback or issue of any/each individual comic would make the US consumers feel the same way, and wouldn't be financially viable anyway.

Can anyone think of something that Valiant could heavily promote and make a 'big event' of to really grab the majority of comic-buyer's attentions?
I think something is in the works: a big event crossover. Not Planet Death, nor Harbinger Wars... something bigger. It will also introduce another book or two into the line. :hope:

Rai? :hope:
AKA "The Anti-Chartist: he who made Charty go Sharty"
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1
http://www.3DJoes.com

the1captain
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by the1captain »

I just wanted to take a moment and say how refreshing this topic discussion is. I don't sesnse the usual cynicism fans are known for. I see a group of people who love this company so much they are trying to go above and beyond to promote it. You don't see Marvel and DC's fans this passionate about those books.

the1captain

Post by the1captain »

Here's what I don't get. If a book sells well through the pull lists, why wouldn't the store buy one or 2 copies for the shelf? If it is a proven seller one way there is no reason to not try to sell more on the shelf.

Phantom..

Post by Phantom.. »

No shadow man on the shelf today?
I agree with above statement, if shelf copies are one allocated to pillbox, surely the need for more shelf copies?

Forbidden planet is not trying t o sell valiant to new customers :roll: , to scared of having anything besides marvel dc image and idw.

I am keen to promote, but can spare no time untill late feb. Go a idea.

Carson

Post by Carson »

The Valiant Free View is a great way to introduce new readers to Valiant! Here's how it started:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38461" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Five other members have hit me up for the PSD/PDF, printed their own flyers and then given away their doubles:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38755" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We even got some news coverage (pretty cool):
http://comicbook.com/blog/2012/11/27/va ... ee-comics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, what if you asked the guy at Forbidden Planet to buy you 10-20 Valiant books (maybe Harbinger #0, Harbinger Wars #1, or the First Planed Death chapter where Cary Nord illustrates the origin of Shanhara, gotta make a great first impression). Ask him to sell them to you at store cost (usually half off) and explain that you want him to stuff the boxes of potential new readers.

So far we've already seen new readers coming on from giving them a free sample. The comics are great and will sell themselves if we can just get readers to try them out.

:high-five:

Phantom..

Post by Phantom.. »

I haven't tried because I know the answer.
Saying that I should ask.
Going to make a bicycle sign and lock outside the shop :thumb:

manga4life
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by manga4life »

That's how comics go.

The first few issues have high orders and then they level off eventually, that's how the business works. Decline is inevitable, but despite they idiotic naysayers who run toward the worst possible solution Valiant remains a success and the books are selling very well for an Indy publisher.

Ah how sweet it is. ;)
NEW BLOG IS UP!

Twitter.com/manga4life

http://manga4life-blog.blogspot.com - 4/13/13 "CLASSIC GAMING: Discovering new gems is always the funnest part."

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

When Valiant has survived the critical first 2 and a half years and is thriving, I wonder what the new excuses will be? I for one am more than pleased that VEI is doing so damn well, and I honestly think that a huge reason has been not a single book being late.

manga4life

Post by manga4life »

Well that's just it. The books will continue to do well and Valiant will continue to thrive, after "6 months" pass the naysayers will just come up with a new time frame and it will be similar to the "end of the world" where they keep predicting it and when it doesn't happen they just change the date. Eventually the naysayers will just fade away and be labeled as defeated but until then they'll keep on with their prophecy of nonsense while trying to take on those who sing Valiant's praises.

"Well if Valiant is so successful than explain to my this......"

"Valiant will be dead in a year, you'll see....."

"Sales dipped since the first issue......" <------ my favorite, it's as if people don't know how comic sales work.
NEW BLOG IS UP!

Twitter.com/manga4life

http://manga4life-blog.blogspot.com - 4/13/13 "CLASSIC GAMING: Discovering new gems is always the funnest part."

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

Carson wrote:So, what if you asked the guy at Forbidden Planet to buy you 10-20 Valiant books... Ask him to sell them to you at store cost (usually half off) and explain that you want him to stuff the boxes of potential new readers.

Y'know, I just assumed (when I originally read your thread explaining the idea) that you were just clearing out your own personal doubles at home, and as a new Valiant reader, I literally only have one of each issue so far so couldn't do it. But now you mention the idea of getting the shop to buy them in at trade price and then passing them on with the flyer, it's become a lot more feasable an idea.

Hey, Phantom... You listenin'?!: I think that's an idea we should discuss at the pub next week eh? And I'm interested to know what your idea is too :D

But yeah, that's right, no Shadowman on the shelves on release date, nor *any* other Valiant title at all. Having said that, apparently when Bloodshot comes out this month there are "a couple of shelf copies" that have been ordered in for release day, so perhaps Bloodshot in particular is selling well for them, or maybe they're just getting a little braver with their Valiant stocks :hope:

Regardless of what's happening in this one particular shop, I'm glad that Valiant seems to be doing well as a company in these early days, and I hope it keeps up for a really long time!

Paul Nolan

Post by Paul Nolan »

Forbidden planet are very poor at ordering anything but Marbel and DC correctly. They always severely over order on Marvel & DC and have hardly any confidence on anything else. Even hyped Image titles. Not to mention they they do one order for the entirity of the franchise, and if the London store doesn't have enough copies, they'll divert copies due to other stores.

Phantom..

Post by Phantom.. »

Shadowman99 wrote:
Carson wrote:So, what if you asked the guy at Forbidden Planet to buy you 10-20 Valiant books... Ask him to sell them to you at store cost (usually half off) and explain that you want him to stuff the boxes of potential new readers.

Y'know, I just assumed (when I originally read your thread explaining the idea) that you were just clearing out your own personal doubles at home, and as a new Valiant reader, I literally only have one of each issue so far so couldn't do it. But now you mention the idea of getting the shop to buy them in at trade price and then passing them on with the flyer, it's become a lot more feasable an idea.

Hey, Phantom... You listenin'?!: I think that's an idea we should discuss at the pub next week eh? And I'm interested to know what your idea is too :D

But yeah, that's right, no Shadowman on the shelves on release date, nor *any* other Valiant title at all. Having said that, apparently when Bloodshot comes out this month there are "a couple of shelf copies" that have been ordered in for release day, so perhaps Bloodshot in particular is selling well for them, or maybe they're just getting a little braver with their Valiant stocks :hope:

Regardless of what's happening in this one particular shop, I'm glad that Valiant seems to be doing well as a company in these early days, and I hope it keeps up for a really long time!

I will give it ago.
Have a few ideas to through arrorund for valiant ~ as well as my/our multi billionaire idea we are working on!
Same their is no shelf copies ~ maybe that is something we can work on.
Plus they must of increased orders as they had heaps of the harbiger flamingo cover, I saw them sorting for the standing orders.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

Phantom.. wrote:...they must of increased orders as they had heaps of the harbiger flamingo cover, I saw them sorting for the standing orders.
Any spares for the shelves? That's where Valiant will be getting their new fans from :D That, and word of mouth.

Phantom..

Post by Phantom.. »

That's what I figured. But still no love for valiant. :?

Carson

Post by Carson »

They must be talking to a different Forbidden Planet :-)

I can say that in Raleigh and Chapel Hill NC there are plenty of Valiants on the shelves, and the LCS folks say they're selling well considering the New 52 and Marvel NOW buzz that they're competing with. Also, I took a trip to Boulder over New Years and they had plenty of Valiants on the shelf, going back to the #1s in most cases.

Ultimately, it's up to the LCS to decide which horses they want to bet on. Luckily, the LCS near me bets on Valiant!
AKA "The Anti-Chartist: he who made Charty go Sharty"
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1
http://www.3DJoes.com

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

I thought the same thing when I saw that tweet today.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Beware Cyclops

Post by Beware Cyclops »

I just figured they were talking about the Forbidden Planet in NYC. :?

Paul Nolan

Post by Paul Nolan »

New York is part of the other FP chain.

the stores in each chain are;-

Forbidden Planet

Birmingham
Bristol
Cambridge
Coventry
Croydon
Liverpool
London
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Southampton

Forbidden Planet International

Aberdeen
Belfast
Birmingham (Nostalgia & Comics; Associate Store)
Cardiff
Dublin
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Hanley, Stoke on Trent
Leeds
Leicester
Liverpool (Worlds Apart; Associate Store)
Manchester
Middlesbrough
New York
Nottingham
Sheffield
Wolverhampton

Phantom..

Post by Phantom.. »

Hope that means they will order some for the shelves.
Actions speak louder than words.