The Visitor

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BloodShot
Guess I'll have ta' start bein' on here 25 hours a day
Guess I'll have ta' start bein' on here 25 hours a day
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Dude, seriously?
Favorite title: Yer kiddin', right?
Favorite artist: BWS
The Visitor

Post by BloodShot »

Chiclo wrote:
Brother Darque wrote:what was The Visitor's powers?
Among others - he could be in two places at once.
So what? I can do that, too.

At least my wife seems to think I can :roll: .
If guns kill people, then spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat :roll: .

VanHook
Valiant? I was there!
Valiant? I was there!
Re: The Visitor

Post by VanHook »

Odd book, but I'm proud of it.

My thoughts.

Remember, it shipped every two weeks, so it was a very rapid-fire thing.

We were not ending it with 13 originally-- there were a couple of more issues planned before that ending.

For those who felt it was all predictable, I didn't decide he was Sting until several issues into writing it, so for me the predictability was more that it made sense with what all we were doing, or it's predictable after that. I remember calling Bob Layton and saying, "Listen-- you know how you said Sting disappeared in Rai 0? What if..." That said, Jesse Berdinka (editor) and Bernard Chang (artist) and I met and roughly plotted the first 10 issues or so before I scripted any of them. I had already done the Visitor Vs. the Valiant Universe by that point.

Harder to see it this way in hindsight, but the book in many ways was a play on Superman (alien from another world) that was clearly more than a match for our world's heroes.

I hated having to do the fill-in style issue with Mike Leeke. Nothing he did wrong-- just I had to create a story that lived outside of continuity.

Most proud of the Visitor Vs. The Valiant Universe 2 parter. I still feel it's a strong story that stands on its own and I loved Bryan's work.

I did like explaining what the hell happened to Sting when he disappeared (in Rai #0)

I liked telling a Men in Black/Area 51 story before most of the world knew what the heck I was talking about. In fact, I got resistance on the story, because at that time, it was "obscure." 6 months later they were talking about Area 51 on Montel...

I felt the two very different styles (and I liked them both) of Bernard Chang vs. John Ross hurt the cohesiveness a bit.

I hated the fact that there was a printing problem with the last issue, where in essence all the inkwork was, "spread" so the lines were very fat. That's not what the artwork looked like.

That's my 3 cents (adjusted for inflation)

Kevin VanHook
I had a dream that I was falling through time. I am falling still.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

That is incredible. Thanks for the insight. I love peering behind the curtain like this. With this perspective, I really anticipate reading back to it, now. Thanks.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by David_Cody »

My fav issue in that series was the Men in Black issue. :thumb:

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

VanHook wrote:Odd book, but I'm proud of it.

My thoughts.

We were not ending it with 13 originally-- there were a couple of more issues planned before that ending.

For those who felt it was all predictable, I didn't decide he was Sting until several issues into writing it, so for me the predictability was more that it made sense with what all we were doing, or it's predictable after that. I remember calling Bob Layton and saying, "Listen-- you know how you said Sting disappeared in Rai 0? What if..." That said, Jesse Berdinka (editor) and Bernard Chang (artist) and I met and roughly plotted the first 10 issues or so before I scripted any of them. I had already done the Visitor Vs. the Valiant Universe by that point.

Harder to see it this way in hindsight, but the book in many ways was a play on Superman (alien from another world) that was clearly more than a match for our world's heroes.

I hated having to do the fill-in style issue with Mike Leeke. Nothing he did wrong-- just I had to create a story that lived outside of continuity.

Most proud of the Visitor Vs. The Valiant Universe 2 parter. I still feel it's a strong story that stands on its own and I loved Bryan's work.

I did like explaining what the hell happened to Sting when he disappeared (in Rai #0)

I liked telling a Men in Black/Area 51 story before most of the world knew what the heck I was talking about. In fact, I got resistance on the story, because at that time, it was "obscure." 6 months later they were talking about Area 51 on Montel...

I felt the two very different styles (and I liked them both) of Bernard Chang vs. John Ross hurt the cohesiveness a bit.

I hated the fact that there was a printing problem with the last issue, where in essence all the inkwork was, "spread" so the lines were very fat. That's not what the artwork looked like.

Kevin VanHook
thanks for the insight KVH!
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

VanHook wrote:I liked telling a Men in Black/Area 51 story before most of the world knew what the heck I was talking about. In fact, I got resistance on the story, because at that time, it was "obscure." 6 months later they were talking about Area 51 on Montel...
This insight in particular I find interesting.

MarrowMan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Favorite character: ShadowMan
Favorite title: ShadowMan
Favorite writer: Dysart, Jordan

Post by MarrowMan »

Wow a post by the man who did the story, I'm impressed, I personally liked the story very much, and didn't think it was all that predictable (call me gullible if you like)

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

My thoughts.

Kevin VanHook
I actually enjoyed the crossover book. I find it interesting that you point out the two different artists. I think that is part of my problem with the storytelling of the book. For me, and you may or may not agree, comics are much like films or theatre in that they are a highly visual medium and just as a poor script can sink some cracking good art, so too can inconsistent or poor art bring down a damn fine script.

I do stand by that it seemed like there weren't enough real twists, but if it was as you said, then that is interesting. Lemonade out of lemons. I had forgotten it shipped every other week. All this said, I don't consider it the worst book Valiant put out. Not by far. Those would be Deathmate, the second half of Secret Weapons, the end of H.A.R.D. Corps and much of the Birthquake stuff.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

My thoughts.

Kevin VanHook
Good stuff. :hm:
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it

Post by BruceReville »

Well at least Sting got back with the Police for a short while.
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.

VanHook
Valiant? I was there!
Valiant? I was there!

Post by VanHook »

BruceReville wrote:Well at least Sting got back with the Police for a short while.
And that by itself made it all worthwhile. Even if he did change up the tunes on all the classics in concert.

:)
I had a dream that I was falling through time. I am falling still.

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Thanks Kevin for your post! Posts by creators are priceless to us fans!
***Support your local farmers!***

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

VanHook wrote:
BruceReville wrote:Well at least Sting got back with the Police for a short while.
And that by itself made it all worthwhile. Even if he did change up the tunes on all the classics in concert.

:)
You know, there was a bit of "Every Breath You Take" to the story of The Visitor :hm:

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

geocarr wrote:Thanks Kevin for your post! Posts by creators are priceless to us fans!
Indeed, and his posts in particular are always full of good behind the scenes stories.