Stormwatch #1

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grifter78
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Stormwatch #1

Post by grifter78 »

(No Spoilers)

Welcome to the DCU, Stormwatch! I know this fan didn’t expect to be writing about you for a long time. But I’m glad that the time came sooner rather than later.

When I first heard that the Wildstorm characters were going to be integrated into the DCU, I couldn’t help but share a little of everyone’s skepticism. The Wildstorm characters were like the neighborhood tough guys. They were not afraid to kill the evil super-powered beings of the world, so how would this attitude translate to the DCU that was filled with more traditional superheroes?

The answer comes in the form of an idea brilliantly presented by writer Paul Cornell. In the new DCU where superheroes are suddenly new to the world, Cornell shows us that the Stormwatch has been a clandestine organization that has existed for centuries in this new DCU. It is only with the public appearance of superheroes now that Stormwatch is forced to come forward. I thought this was great because it still allows Stormwatch to be badasses while the rest of the DCU’s ideals are not compromised. In fact, the way this issue reads and the way it is paced, you’d think you’re reading some of Warren Ellis’ old work.

Cornell does a great job of introducing these characters. It’s simple things like the characters using each others names or referring to their own powers and how they work that I think will make it easy for new readers to understand. I personally am just happy to see The Engineer, Jack Hawksmoor, Apollo, Midnighter, and Jenny Quantum in action again! The inclusion of Martian Manhunter seemed very odd to me at first. But after reading the issue, I feel this version of Manhunter has an edge to him that I can see fits the book perfectly.

Miguel Sepulveda’s art is good. It reminds me a little of Al Barrionuevo (who consequentially is helping with issue 2 next month). It’s got a darkness to it that fits the darker tone of this book. There is also some great digital work used to enhance his art like the scenes where The Engineer is viewing holographic computer screens or we see scenes of Hyperspace in the background.

Overall, it was a solid first issue. It did a great job of not only setting up the characters, but also several plot points that are interesting to say the least. It definitely has a different feel to it than the other DC books. It felt more like a Wildstorm book to me than a DC book. I hope that works in its favor because I know there are people out there who miss the likes of book like The Authority or Planetary. I can safely say this comic is done in the spirit of those books.

Synopsis:
http://wildstormresource.wetpaint.com/p ... 5S69k?link" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
Re: Stormwatch #1

Post by ian_house »

A great job of introducing characters?

I have no idea what some of their names are after the first issue. Apollo, Midnighter and Martian Manhunter... but the rest were non-existant. No concept of what the Midnighter can do, although he can apparently take out Martian Manhunter + 2 others in the blink of an eye. Are they all stronger than Superman?!

As I said in another thread I like Cornell but I thought he really missed the mark here. I had no interest in the characters as they all just stood around saying so-and-so is stronger than so-and-so.

sd2416
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Original Rai, Eternal Warror

Post by sd2416 »

Who was the blonde haired guy that fought Martian Manhunter? I flipped through it but didnt see his name. :hm:

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Apollo

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it

Post by BruceReville »

ian_house wrote:Apollo
Sure it wasn't Thunderlips?
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.

sd2416
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by sd2416 »

And if im not mistaken, he knows this timeline is not right because of Martian Manhunter?

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

sd2416 wrote:And if im not mistaken, he knows this timeline is not right because of Martian Manhunter?
At the end of Flashpoint 5 - Flash remembered the Flashpoint universe and thinks the current universe is the correct one.
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.

sd2416
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by sd2416 »

I meant Apollo. I took it as his conversation with MM, he knew something was wrong with "him being here in that form" or however it was stated.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

ian_house wrote:A great job of introducing characters?

I have no idea what some of their names are after the first issue. Apollo, Midnighter and Martian Manhunter... but the rest were non-existant. No concept of what the Midnighter can do, although he can apparently take out Martian Manhunter + 2 others in the blink of an eye. Are they all stronger than Superman?!

As I said in another thread I like Cornell but I thought he really missed the mark here. I had no interest in the characters as they all just stood around saying so-and-so is stronger than so-and-so.
From what I recall and read about The Midnighter is a top hand-to-hand fighter and knows how to use various weapons. He was basically WSU's many versions of Batman (along with Grifter and Deathblow) and Apollo was the many WSU's versions of Superman (along Mr. Majestic and Union). He also Apollo's husband in the old WSU.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

ian_house
Stormwatch #1

Post by ian_house »

Cheers Cybersrike!
Nanites at work!

grifter78

Post by grifter78 »

Every character was named and of course you have no concept of what Midnighter can do. He just appeared in the last page of the comic. You can't have all that stuff answered in one issue.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

ian_house wrote:Cheers Cybersrike!

Take it with a grain of salt, that is what I remember reading from Stormwatch vol. 2 (where they debuted) and that were gay and later that Apollo and the Midnighter were married is pretty common knowledge.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Drift
...and I am a Valiantoholic.
...and I am a Valiantoholic.

Post by Drift »

Cyberstrike wrote:

From what I recall and read about The Midnighter is a top hand-to-hand fighter and knows how to use various weapons. He was basically WSU's many versions of Batman (along with Grifter and Deathblow) and Apollo was the many WSU's versions of Superman (along Mr. Majestic and Union). He also Apollo's husband in the old WSU.
He also has combat precog abilities

OmenSpirits.com

Post by OmenSpirits.com »

Are Apollo & Midnighter still lovers in this universe? :hm:

grifter78

Post by grifter78 »

OmenSpirits.com wrote:Are Apollo & Midnighter still lovers in this universe? :hm:
yep, Cornell confirmed we'll be seeing them meet for the first time and how their relationship develops

OmenSpirits.com

Post by OmenSpirits.com »

grifter78 wrote:
OmenSpirits.com wrote:Are Apollo & Midnighter still lovers in this universe? :hm:
yep, Cornell confirmed we'll be seeing them meet for the first time and how their relationship develops
At least that part of continuity was kept.

aceraxon
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by aceraxon »

I really disliked the issue as a whole. Quite frankly, I thought it was poop. But you can check my review at Mark's Comic Book Review Center

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

There was quite a bit I liked about this. I have always liked Warren Ellis's run on Stormwatch and his run on Authority is one of my favorite runs of comics ever. I'm fairly interested to see how this pans out.

grifter78

Post by grifter78 »

Dr. Solar wrote:There was quite a bit I liked about this. I have always liked Warren Ellis's run on Stormwatch and his run on Authority is one of my favorite runs of comics ever. I'm fairly interested to see how this pans out.
Glad you enjoyed it! :D

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!

Post by Lightning Strike »

**SPOILERS BELOW**

Read the issue, but thought it was kind of contradictory in places. At one point, Apollo is mentioned as being more powerful than Superman (they actually show him beating the tar of out Superman in a flashback), but later in the issue, he punches MM as hard as he can, and MM just stands there like he was hit by a fly. :idontknow:

I've liked Cornell's work in the past, but thought the writing in this issue was shaky. Maybe it's due to him not being familiar with the characters or something? The artwork is solid though.

Anyhow, the book is intriguing, but I would give it an overall grade of B-
Last edited by Lightning Strike on Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:01:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning Strike

Dr. Solar wrote:There was quite a bit I liked about this. I have always liked Warren Ellis's run on Stormwatch and his run on Authority is one of my favorite runs of comics ever. I'm fairly interested to see how this pans out.
I hear this a lot. I may have to check these issues out. My local library has a bunch of Stormwatch and Authority tpbs. Don't know if they have his or not.

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

Lightning Strike wrote:**SPOILERS BELOW**

Read the issue, but thought it was kind of contradictory in places. At one point, Apollo is mentioned as being more powerful than Superman (they actually show him beating the tar of out Superman in a flashback), but later in the issue, he punches MM as hard as he can, and MM just stands there like he was hit by a fly. :idontknow:

I've liked Cornell's work in the past, but thought the writing in this issue was shaky. Maybe it's due to him not being familiar with the characters or something? The artwork is solid though.

Yeah, then Midnighter was able to take out MM with an easy, single shot (Unless MM was faking it).

Lightning Strike

Savant wrote:

Yeah, then Midnighter was able to take out MM with an easy, single shot (Unless MM was faking it).
Exactly. Too much inconsistency

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

Savant wrote:

Now that would REALLY stink... I mean being this alien dude with all kinds of power and everything, being taken out with a single shot, waking on the ground and thinking, "Wow I got hit REALLY hard and why are those two guys over there, wrestling NAKED ?.... HEY WAITAMINUTE why is my @$$hole on fire right now ?"

10 minutes earlier:
Midnighter: "Hey Apollo, watch me go all Captain Kirk and do it with the green alien guy I just knocked out."

Apollo: "Tee hee, you are SO bad. To boldly go where no man has gone before. OH OH pick me, pick me !!"

:roll:

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

Knightt wrote:
Savant wrote:

Now that would REALLY stink... I mean being this alien dude with all kinds of power and everything, being taken out with a single shot, waking on the ground and thinking, "Wow I got hit REALLY hard and why are those two guys over there, wrestling NAKED ?.... HEY WAITAMINUTE why is my @$$hole on fire right now ?"

10 minutes earlier:
Midnighter: "Hey Apollo, watch me go all Captain Kirk and do it with the green alien guy I just knocked out."

Apollo: "Tee hee, you are SO bad. To boldly go where no man has gone before. OH OH pick me, pick me !!"

:roll:
In the old WSU it would be Martian Manhunter raping Apollo with Midnighter watching helplessly.