DC Weekly Titles - 52 and Countdown...any good?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino
DC Weekly Titles - 52 and Countdown...any good?

Post by JonesyAZ »

Hey all,

I have been thinking about either buying or trying to find a reading copy of the trades of DC's two weekly year-long books:

Countdown

Are these worth getting?

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it

Post by BruceReville »

52 - Yes - Countdown - No!

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

52 was a damn good read. Countdown is horrendous.

vikingspawn
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by vikingspawn »

52 is good. The best part of "Countdown" was a Superboy-Prime fight issue somewhere passed issue #25 I think. But not worth buying as a whole series. A chunk of that series was a mess.

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.

Post by JonesyAZ »

Should it be easy to assemble a reading set of the 52 comics?

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

Unless someone on here has a set cheap Ebay it normally runs around 20-25 with shipping included.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

BruceReville wrote:Unless someone on here has a set cheap Ebay it normally runs around 20-25 with shipping included.
Not a bad price. However, I purchased the collected editions and I am glad I did because of the extra material in them, ie, the interviews/recollections of the creators. Yes, you don't get the small "origin" stuff, but that has been collected as well and really adds nothing to the books. In fact, I think it detracts, as those origins were presented rather poorly.

So, Jonesy..I'd just get the collected editions if all you want to do is read them.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

same here 52 rocked if you know a lot of dc history its even better

countdown sucked bad

chisumwomack
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by chisumwomack »

What everybody else said x2.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Can't really add much more. 52 pretty much got me back into comics after a little drought.

Drift
...and I am a Valiantoholic.
...and I am a Valiantoholic.

Post by Drift »

Make sure you get Trinity as well as the other 2. after 52, countdown is bad. After Countdown, Trinity is awful. After Trinity, anything else is a literary masterpiece.

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

And I almost forgot - with Countdown you'll need all the various Countdown Mini-Series that goes along with Countdown and then you'll really want to *SQUEE* scream! :thumb:

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Drift wrote:Make sure you get Trinity as well as the other 2. after 52, countdown is bad. After Countdown, Trinity is awful. After Trinity, anything else is a literary masterpiece.
I forced myself through the first volume of Trinity, back around August of last year. I think I might STILL have a headache from that thing. Just awful.

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.

Post by JonesyAZ »

Thanks for the input guys :) I will keep an eye out for the 52 TPBs :)

vikingspawn

Post by vikingspawn »

xodacia81 wrote:
Drift wrote:Make sure you get Trinity as well as the other 2. after 52, countdown is bad. After Countdown, Trinity is awful. After Trinity, anything else is a literary masterpiece.
I forced myself through the first volume of Trinity, back around August of last year. I think I might STILL have a headache from that thing. Just awful.

I was curious about Trinity. I never did get around to reading the start of the whole thing. I can't get into Busiek's writing when he's on DC characters (Superman, Aquaman).

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

vikingspawn wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:

I was curious about Trinity. I never did get around to reading the start of the whole thing. I can't get into Busiek's writing when he's on DC characters (Superman, Aquaman).
I caught the first few weeks and quit pretty quickly. I agree about Busiek.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

vikingspawn wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:

My experience with Busiek is limited to Marvels/Ruins, Ninjak volume 2, an issue or two of Astro City and the little bit of Trinity that I read. He is a very hit or miss writer.

Jersen
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Jersen »

I originally read 52 in the TPBs that have been mentioned, and I loved them alot. The little retrospectives from the creators after every issue are some nice little gems that enhance every issue. I've since gotten a collection of the individual issues from eBay.

I never read Countdown simply because I've never heard ANYTHING good about it!

Trinity was OK IMO when it started out, but by the end I was glad to be done with it.

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

xodacia81 wrote:
vikingspawn wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:

My experience with Busiek is limited to Marvels/Ruins, Ninjak volume 2, an issue or two of Astro City and the little bit of Trinity that I read. He is a very hit or miss writer.
I enjoyed Busiek's Aquaman run, but am a big Aquaman fan and enjoyed a writer doing a different take on the character and thought it worked well as a stand alone story arc.

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.

Post by JonesyAZ »

My LCS has a cheap set of "52" that I will be trading for today :) I'm excited!!!!!

Savant

Post by Savant »

vikingspawn wrote:52 is good. The best part of "Countdown" was a Superboy-Prime fight issue somewhere passed issue #25 I think. But not worth buying as a whole series. A chunk of that series was a mess.
I thought the Piper/Trickster storyline in Countdown was alright, for the most part, but everything else was horrible........Countdown should definitely be avoided.

52 was excellent.

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.

Post by JonesyAZ »

I just finished week 14 last night of 52. Y'all are absolutely correct that this series is VERY well done :)

I particularly love the stories with Elongated Man in them. Since I have previously read "Blackest Night" and know Ralph's ultimate fate, it's cool to see how he goes down this path.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

JonesyAZ wrote:I just finished week 14 last night of 52. Y'all are absolutely correct that this series is VERY well done :)

I particularly love the stories with Elongated Man in them. Since I have previously read "Blackest Night" and know Ralph's ultimate fate, it's cool to see how he goes down this path.
Poor Sue and Ralph... :(

The Booster sections were always my favourite.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

ian_house wrote:
JonesyAZ wrote:I just finished week 14 last night of 52. Y'all are absolutely correct that this series is VERY well done :)

Poor Sue and Ralph... :(

The Booster sections were always my favourite.
Booster was awesome. I pretty much liked all of it. I came to really like The Question and the whole Cult of Evil story. It was just a fascinating progress.

Savant

Post by Savant »

Some may disagree with me, but I felt the only drawback for 52 (Aside from the space story, which I didn't care for) is the storyline seemed rushed somewhere towards the end.