What video game are you currently playing?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

dbostejano wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
dbostejano wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:Here is the X-Play review.

Star Wars The Force Unleashed

As long as this game took to be released, you would think they would have worked all of the bugs out and refined the game play. What a shame, I was really stoked for this game.
Remember when I posted about the layoffs at Lucas Arts? I wonder if this was affected by that?
Yeah, from watching that review, I would say it had a pretty big impact. The same thing happened to the last few games Acclaim put out. You could tell they weren't putting the necessary resources into making the games as you played them. I hope Lucas Arts fares better than they did.

Hey DJ are you going to get their KOTR online game (rumored)?

I've tried to avoid these massive online games simply because I like being married, but I don't know that I can avoid this game plus the eventual divorce that comes with playing these type of games.
I'm not a big fan of online games for the most part. They are very time consuming and like you, I wish to remain married as well.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Now playing The Last Guy on PS3 ($10 off PSN, well worth it) and Rock Band 2 on 360 ... getting ready to try out the hockey games.

TKWill
Don't squeeze the Deathmate!

Post by TKWill »

I picked up SW: TFU and I don't think it is near as bad as "2 out of 5." I think that one of the least reliable fields for critical review is games. Let's be perfectly honest GTA hasn't changed much in the last three iterations besides the music and storylines yet it still receives Game of the Month and nominations for Game of the Year whenever they come out. Madden is much the same, people constantly complain about the games lack any significant development between years and let's not forget about all of the unstoppable offenses.

I thought the game was pretty good. All of the issues that X-Play mentioned were legit but they were pretty few and far between. Out of the 100's of stormtroopers that I killed I think I only ran into a handful that were standing around, it's not really acceptable but I was glad to get the free health from killing one. You do become a badass as your powers increase, you just have to learn the proper ways to use them in order to obliterate your opponents. I think there were only a handful of times that I was really frustratingly stumped by a group of enemies, and then I was so horribly outmatched that any super powered being would have had difficulty.

I would probably give it a 3.5/5. If I was comparing it to all other SW games the it probably moves into the 4/5 range. As X-play mentioned there have been some horrible SW games in the past. It is hard for me to justify having spent $60 on this game, I suggest that if you are interested in it then go rent. There is some replay value but not much. There is no online so that becomes an issue with whether it remains in my library. I will trade this in towards GoW2 before too long.

dbostejano
Here's my not so custom custom.

Post by dbostejano »

Alright big next couple of months in the world of gaming.

Today- Dead Space
Next Week- Fable 2
28th- Fallout 3

Nov.
Resistance 2
GOW 2
Call of Duty

oh Quantum of Solace (Bond Game) is suppose to be nice too.

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

been playing Yie Ar Kung Fu online, really enjoy that game. I just can't beat the last character!!! :!:

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

wIPEOUT

PS3

:thumb:

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

I just played Facebreaker ... what a steaming pile of crap!

Fracture was OK, not bad, nothing special. If you liked Force Unleashed you would probably like it.

And I tried all the NBA games. I liked the 2K game best, by a mile.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

Draco wrote:wIPEOUT

PS3

Beautiful game, looks fricking awesome in HD, but all the racing starts to feel the same after the first couple of races.

:!:

Draco

Post by Draco »

depluto wrote:

PS3

Beautiful game, looks fricking awesome in HD, but all the racing starts to feel the same after the first couple of races.

It is and nothing will ever beat 2097.
The single best racing game of all time.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

Draco wrote:
depluto wrote:

PS3

It is and nothing will ever beat 2097.
The single best racing game of all time.

I'll still take, for it's day, Gran Turismo 3 ... first time I took one of those F1 cars through Tokyo ... sheeeeeeit!

1A
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by 1A »

Just downloaded Secret of Mana for the Wii, but I'm really looking forward to Cave Story. I've never played it, but it looks pretty sweet and retro, plus I've heard it's like Metroid meets Castlevania. Been thinking about Mega Man 9 too...

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

i don't play video games. they are a huge waste of time.

but if i did, i would be playing ms pac-man.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

dave wrote:i don't play video games. they are a huge waste of time.
Grrr......

Draco

Post by Draco »

dave wrote:i don't play video games. they are a huge waste of time.

but if i did, i would be playing ms pac-man.
Ah now thats music to my ears dude.

I am a first generation video game freak.
My brother and I were hanging in arcades in the mid seventies very young just waiting for Space invaders and Galaxians to hit.
Then of course it went mad for a few years and so many damn cool coin op games to list.

I was hooked and would still gladly play older games over new games.

I tend to play old PS1 Namco, Atari and Midway Museums.
I got so good at Pacman that after playing for a stupid amount of time something weird happened, the Ghost didnt turn when i ate a pill.
I was gutted and my game ended real quick after playing for what was probably several hours. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ms Pac man rocks and is harder.

I need to tidy the office up and get my consoles out and ready to go.

I collect consoles, but dont go out of my way to get them to be fair.

I do have the Atari 2600( black wood box), Sega Master System and Mega drive, with an unopened Mega CD attachment that my friend lifted from a skip at the shopping centre where my shop used to be.

picked up a Nintendo entertainment system at a carboot sale about 5 years ago.
We got there late and the sale was all but ten minuted away from being empty of traders but somehow i managed to pick up several items.
The first being the Nintendo. It was so funny as when i asked how much the woman said £1.00. Crazy stuff and if it didnt work its only £1.00.
The extra bonus was the huge black weird plastic case it came in that had the Nintendo badge on it. It came with controllers and light gun etc.
£1.00. Madness.

Last week my Mother came for her twice weekly visit to see the boys and bought me a present.
She got me an Intellivison with 9 games all in lovely condition too.
My step fathers friend was throwing it out if Pops didnt want it, but luckily he knew i would snap it up for my collection.

So now i need a Philips Videopac to complete the early ones that were on my list and then i can step up to Colecovision and PC Engine etc.

Love it.

dave
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

i used to like popeye and defender too...

what's wrong dj? :P

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

1A wrote:Just downloaded Secret of Mana for the Wii, but I'm really looking forward to Cave Story. I've never played it, but it looks pretty sweet and retro, plus I've heard it's like Metroid meets Castlevania. Been thinking about Mega Man 9 too...
Mega Man 9 is HARD.

Either that, or I was a LOT better at Mega Man games when I was a kid. Or maybe I just remember being better at Mega Man games when I was a kid...

h-comics
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by h-comics »

this is what i am playing right now.

Chrono trigger-snes
Metal slug anth
Turok 1,2-N64

Jesse

dbostejano

Post by dbostejano »

I'm waiting for my collectors edition Dead Space, and it will take my time for now till GEAR 2

TKWill

Post by TKWill »

Dr. Solar wrote:
1A wrote:Just downloaded Secret of Mana for the Wii, but I'm really looking forward to Cave Story. I've never played it, but it looks pretty sweet and retro, plus I've heard it's like Metroid meets Castlevania. Been thinking about Mega Man 9 too...
Mega Man 9 is HARD.

Either that, or I was a LOT better at Mega Man games when I was a kid. Or maybe I just remember being better at Mega Man games when I was a kid...
That is no joke. BTW, all games from when we were kids are hard. They are repetitive, have a thin plot, require pixel perfect timing and have crappy collision detection. I have to say it is amazing that gaming came out of that golden era. Every time I pull out my Nintendo I am amazed by the fact that some games have no saves or code system, if you wanted to beat the game the you sat your butt down for three hours and did it, never mind playing for hundreds of hours to memorize ever little subtlety of the game. I understand why my mom hates video games whenever I pull my NES out, the time I wasted tied to that thing.

Picked up Samurai Showdown 2 on XBLA the other day becuase I thought I would be able to relive my glory years. I used to run the house on that game when I was in HS, that was the game to play and I was unbeatable with most of the characters. Don't buy it, though since the controls are pretty crappy. It's hard to combo with the Dpad or the analog stick. I regret buying it. :cry:

TKWill

Post by TKWill »

Lego Batman, right now. Lots of fun, but I think it is the weaker of the three or four, depending on how you're counting. It's a hoot, but I think the parody aspect was what really had me enjoying the SW and IJ iterations of the Lego games.

Rubiks-Q-Bert
Deathmate: Opinions vary. I liked it.
Deathmate: Opinions vary.  I liked it.
Favorite character: Master Darque

Post by Rubiks-Q-Bert »

World Of Warcraft

Undermine Server

Tifa - Human Warrior - Level 10

Fun game. Not as addicting as some would have you believe.
Last edited by Rubiks-Q-Bert on Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:16:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

still playing mario cart
desk top tower defense (pc)
final fantasy 3 (ds) :thumb:

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Playing Tomb Raider: Underworld. Fun game, great background story and the graphics are top notch. Fairly easy game to pick up on and it doesn't take long to figure out most of her moves. It's not getting stellar reviews, but it's a solid game, IMO.

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

Trying to rack up some time on Resistance 2 tonight and am in anticipation of Rise of the Argonauts (sp?) on the 12th but will wait til after Christmas to even THINK about it. I think my brother in law is picking up Farcry 2 for me...

THIS looks promising... scroll down a bit and view the video. "Old School" gone next gen and 'lookin' good' !!!

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Product ... eStopBase)

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

OK, just wrapped up Tomb Raider: Underworld. All in all, I'm sticking by my initial review that it's a solid title. There were a few minor glitches in the game, but nothing too distracting. I would rank the cinematic sequences as some of the best I've seen. Very good story and the game play was fun and intuitive. The only major complaint I have is the game seemed very short to me.