Who (apart from Valiant of course) are your fave publishers

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

favorite comic company

DC
50%
Marvel
25%
Dark Horse
10%
10%
IDW
5%
No votes

Total votes: 20

hellboydce
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Who (apart from Valiant of course) are your fave publishers

Post by hellboydce »

may have been done before but in my defence i am new here.

My Choice is Dark Horse, for 20 years i was rabid DC fanboy but over the last 5 years i have lost interest with thrm, far to many crossovers and uninteresting characters, whereas Dark Horse continue to churn out good stuff, Hellboy, B.P.R.D, Umbrella Academy, The Goon.

oh and a special mention to Avatar but that is mainly because i love Warren Ellis (as a Writer)

Unblessed
I must be flogged.
I must be flogged.

Post by Unblessed »

Mirage... TMNT. :D 8-)

I must rate DC > (Marvel = Image). DC's just more "epic" feeling to me. Things don't seem compartmentalized like when I read a Marvel or Image book. And DC's always been epic, not just a recent push for crossovers.

Dark Horse... They've been well, the dark horse out there. I remember them for Dark Empire and all the Star Wars books.

:thumb:

hellboydce

Post by hellboydce »

Unblessed wrote:Mirage... TMNT. :D 8-)

Dark Horse... They've been well, the dark horse out there. I remember them for Dark Empire and all the Star Wars books.

:thumb:

i almost forgot all of dark horse's Alien, Predator and Terminator stuff, the early Alien stuff especially was good, if only the movies followed the comics

Unblessed
I must be flogged.
I must be flogged.

Post by Unblessed »

hellboydce wrote: i almost forgot all of dark horse's Alien, Predator and Terminator stuff, the early Alien stuff especially was good, if only the movies followed the comics
Me too. :oops: (the forgetting part that is)
I've viewed DH's comics as more of a "dark" feel to them. Just by seeing them in the shelves with the other comics.

hellboydce

Post by hellboydce »

Unblessed wrote:
hellboydce wrote: i almost forgot all of dark horse's Alien, Predator and Terminator stuff, the early Alien stuff especially was good, if only the movies followed the comics
Me too. :oops: (the forgetting part that is)
I've viewed DH's comics as more of a "dark" feel to them. Just by seeing them in the shelves with the other comics.

same here, they had a 'dark' almost underground feel to them, even though they had these massive film properties and they sold well (unlike most underground comics)

hellboydce

Post by hellboydce »

Jay Tomio wrote:I have to admit that for the most part DC is my *SQUEE* right now. I love what they are doing. This includes Vertigo which is indisputably awesome.

I also really like Top Shelf's quality control in their line as well.

As far as collecting I've really been enjoying looking at Fictionhouse books lately.

A lot of Image stuff is good to but I can't say I enjoy the whole line (nor should anyone) but I love stuff like Elepehantmen.
the only image stuff i dig at the moment (but to be fair, it's better than 90% of the other stuff out there) is Walking Dead and Invincible, took me a while to trust Image again after being suckered in and buying all their crap from way back when they started up.

i was a big vertigo fan back in the day, but then i realised i missed a lot of this stuff being part of the DCU, not all of the time, but now and again was nice, i remember Swampthing kicking the S**T out of Gotham and Batman not being able to do a thing about and it took Luthor to sort it out

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

Probably Vertigo, seems like most of the books I buy come from them. I could care less about the rest of the DC Universe, though.

Squirrel
Dino, how about... Archer & Armsquirrel?
Dino, how about... Archer & Armsquirrel?
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by Squirrel »

Vertigo gets no love???? :? Vertigo titles have one heck of a following...one of the best titles ever came from that division of DC... SANDMAN! :thumb:

hellboydce

Post by hellboydce »

yeah, i should have gone into sub-categories, but i just shoved Vertigo under the DC banner, same as Wildstorm and Max comics for Marvel

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I like Broadway, Crossgen (everything I have read form them is great), Defiant is also good.

But I am more of an individual books type of guy that entire publisher guy.

And who ever did/does Astro City needs to get some props too.

hellboydce

Post by hellboydce »

Jay Tomio wrote:
hellboydce wrote:
Jay Tomio wrote:I have to admit that for the most part DC is my *SQUEE* right now. I love what they are doing. This includes Vertigo which is indisputably awesome.

As far as collecting I've really been enjoying looking at Fictionhouse books lately.

A lot of Image stuff is good to but I can't say I enjoy the whole line (nor should anyone) but I love stuff like Elepehantmen.
the only image stuff i dig at the moment (but to be fair, it's better than 90% of the other stuff out there) is Walking Dead and Invincible, took me a while to trust Image again after being suckered in and buying all their crap from way back when they started up.

i was a big vertigo fan back in the day, but then i realised i missed a lot of this stuff being part of the DCU, not all of the time, but now and again was nice, i remember Swampthing kicking the S**T out of Gotham and Batman not being able to do a thing about and it took Luthor to sort it out
I don't have nothing against Image back-in the day I cant' front . I bought Maxx and I read Spawn, Deathblow and Shadowhawk when they came out (and if Pitt ever came out I read that to) and I can't say that at the time I thought they sucked and Gen13 was solid as well. 1963 was awesome. Since then though stuff like Age of Bronze, Astro City, Casanova, Welcome to Tranquility, Fear Agent are terrific IMHO (I don't however read Walking Dead or Invincible). Also, Moore's Supreme was outstanding
recently got the trade of Alan Moores WILDcats which was very good, got to say though that anything Liefeld did was and still is to this day very poor, Maxx i thought got very strange, agree that Pitt was very good but it never came out, shadowhawk was very poor, but i got into that i must buy everything mode (did the same with Valiant, but their stuff was good)

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Dude, no mention of Malibu?

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

I'm a big fan of Kitchen Sink Comics. ;)

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

And where on that list is Catfish comics?

Oh. Right.

Jrdawg
I thought that would be harder
I thought that would be harder

Post by Jrdawg »

Marvel, Virgin, IDW

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

I'd also go with Vertigo, most of the titles that come out are quite good and a bit of change from your traditional superhero.

Drift
...and I am a Valiantoholic.
...and I am a Valiantoholic.

Post by Drift »

hellboydce wrote:

If you like Walking Dead and Invincible you need to check out Astounding Wolfman, Noble Causes, Dynamo 5, Gemini, Tech Jacket and Savage Dragon.

They all fit together with Invincible (Invincible debuted in Noble Causes) to form a really coherent universe of their own. Savage Dragon isn't 100% necessary to the group as it sit just outside the main block but is still great.

Vertigo is one of the best Imprints/publishing cos. out there at the moment. So much great stuff. Y: The Last Man, 100 bullets, Army @ Love, Swamp Thing, Sandman (Which got my girlfriend reading comics), Hellblazer (Great when written by a Brit - not a stab at you yanks but you just don't "get" British humour). Amazing stuff.

DC are putting out some great stuff at the moment. JLA, JSA, Teen Titans, Atom and Green Lantern stuff are best of the lot.

Marvel seem to have lost their way recently. Not much to say except I hope relaunch of Runaways after Whedon killed it, is as good as when the series started. Also where is the next Sentinel story? The first series was great and while not quite as good, the 5 parter that followed was still cool. I demand more.

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:I'm a big fan of Kitchen Sink Comics. ;)
I've got the first one! :thumb:

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

Chiclo wrote:And where on that list is Catfish comics?

Oh. Right.
You can bust on them all you want, but the books are well done for what they are. There's a lot of sh*t in the Dead Universe section that some of you guys are collecting that is a lot worse than anything Catfish ever put out.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Pacific comics from the 80's one of my favorite..

I also liked First Comics

-Brian

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

Make mine DC.

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!
Re: Who (apart from Valiant of course) are your fave publish

Post by Lightning Strike »

hellboydce wrote:may have been done before but in my defence i am new here.

My Choice is Dark Horse, for 20 years i was rabid DC fanboy but over the last 5 years i have lost interest with thrm, far to many crossovers and uninteresting characters, whereas Dark Horse continue to churn out good stuff, Hellboy, B.P.R.D, Umbrella Academy, The Goon
Sweet! Another DH fan. Maybe you can answer my question in this section about BPRD

robb77
nice one
nice one

Post by robb77 »

ive been reading some batman graphic novels from the library lately especially batman- great comics :thumb:

Lightning Strike

Post by Lightning Strike »

My favorite publishers are Marvel, DC and Dark Horse. But I do have to give big props to Image's Walking Dead, Invincible and Dynamo 5---three EXCELLENT comics :thumb:

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

IDW puts the best quality comics today.
Period.
End of story.

Dark Horse-IMHO if they didn't have Star Wars, Buffy, The Vampire Slayer and Serenity licences they would probably be out of business in less than a year.

Image has a few good comics but nothing that really appeals to me at this point in my life.

Mirage I never got into Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles a lot, so it's just a "meh" company and titles.

Avatar, Marvel, and DC all just plain suck now of days.