Lesser Titles???

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

hellboydce
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Lesser Titles???

Post by hellboydce »

sorry if this has been asked before but, does anyone think we will get any Hard corps, Armorines and Timewalker HC's collections and does anybody apart from me even want them?
Last edited by hellboydce on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:00:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
Re: Lesser Titles???

Post by ManofTheAtom »

hellboydce wrote:sorry if this has been asked before but, does anyone think we will get any Hardcorps, Armorines and Timewalker HC's collections and does anybody aprt from me even want them?
I'd want them.

Two Armorines and two Timewalker hardcovers with the complete series.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

siren3-4
The best feeling I get is filling holes
The best feeling I get is filling holes

Post by siren3-4 »

If these are ever put out, we may not see them for a while . . But I would be up for getting them . . . :thumb:

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

I don't think it would be a wise decision to do hard covers for any of those titles. It's hard enough to get people interested in buying hard covers when it's the popular well known characters in them.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Daniel Jackson wrote:I don't think it would be a wise decision to do hard covers for any of those titles. It's hard enough to get people interested in buying hard covers when it's the popular well known characters in them.
VEI has to recoup its investment, and that means exploiting all the properties they acquired.

If they only focus on the ones that are "popular" with comic book readers, then they'll loose money, not make money.

They need to exploit concepts like Timewalker, Armorines, and HARD Corps to make them popular, not just to comic book fans but also outside comics so they can license them like they did with Harbinger.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

ManofTheAtom wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:I don't think it would be a wise decision to do hard covers for any of those titles. It's hard enough to get people interested in buying hard covers when it's the popular well known characters in them.
VEI has to recoup its investment, and that means exploiting all the properties they acquired.

If they only focus on the ones that are "popular" with comic book readers, then they'll loose money, not make money.

They need to exploit concepts like Timewalker, Armorines, and HARD Corps to make them popular, not just to comic book fans but also outside comics so they can license them like they did with Harbinger.
I'm not saying that they shouldn't use them, I'm saying a harcover for each of them would not be a wise move.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:

I'm not saying that they shouldn't use them, I'm saying a harcover for each of them would not be a wise move.
Why not?

It's been close to 13 years since these three particular series were originally canceled.

That's a whole new generation of readers, some of whom might actually like these concepts.

If done right, Armorines could be the next GI Joe. GI Joe was a crappy toy before the 80's revival.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

ManofTheAtom wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:

Why not?

It's been close to 13 years since these three particular series were originally canceled.

That's a whole new generation of readers, some of whom might actually like these concepts.

If done right, Armorines could be the next GI Joe. GI Joe was a crappy toy before the 80's revival.
Why do you think those titles were so short lived? Because no one was buying them, that's why. Focus on what sells and try introducing the lesser known characters in the popular titles somewhere down the road.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:

Why not?

Why do you think those titles were so short lived? Because no one was buying them, that's why. Focus on what sells and try introducing the lesser known characters in the popular titles somewhere down the road.
X-Men stopped producing new stories with issue 66, yet after their revival in the 70's it became one of the most popular comic book franchises ever.

Don't dismiss a concept because one version of it failed to sell. A revival, if done right, can make a concept far more profitable than it originally was.

If done right (due to the similarities), Armorines could be the next GI Joe and Timewalker an American Dr Who.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I think regular TPBs would be better.

ncameron
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 92 ish
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Q & W "clang"
Favorite writer: VH1: Shooter

Post by ncameron »

ManofTheAtom wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:

Why not?

By all accounts, its the same generation of readers just older.

-neil

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

ncameron wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:

Why not?

By all accounts, its the same generation of readers just older.

-neil
There have been a lot of potential consumers (not just readers, but also video game players and movie watchers) born in the 13 years since the series ended, just like there have been a lot of potential consumers who were born back then but lacked the disposable income to spend on comics, video games, and movies that have grown up since.

The comics aren't the end all and be all of the property, just a part of it.

ncameron
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 92 ish
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Q & W "clang"
Favorite writer: VH1: Shooter

Post by ncameron »

ManofTheAtom wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:

Why not?

X-Men stopped producing new stories with issue 66, yet after their revival in the 70's it became one of the most popular comic book franchises ever.

Don't dismiss a concept because one version of it failed to sell. A revival, if done right, can make a concept far more profitable than it originally was.

If done right (due to the similarities), Armorines could be the next GI Joe and Timewalker an American Dr Who.
I would dismiss them as properties because its too expensive in this market to guess wrong. Look at all the publishers who have had financial issues in just the last few years.

Just because they own something doesnt mean they have to print it. VEI could lose a lot of money if they print a book that wont sell. The amount of time and effort they used to clean up the art and the quality of the hardcovers would lead me to guess they are not cheap to produce.

If I could spend 1 million dollars+ to buy a defunct comic universe, it would not be in my best interest to waste effort trying to make every property usable. Especially in the current comic market. With the increased shipping bills from diamond, titles averaging 3.99 from non marvel/dc publishers, and so much product being shipped each week no one wants a HC that will just sit there.

To spread your efforts to get everything transformed would probably prevent you from doing anything.

-neil

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

ManofTheAtom wrote: X-Men stopped producing new stories with issue 66, yet after their revival in the 70's it became one of the most popular comic book franchises ever.

Like I just said, test the waters first by giving them guest appearances in one of the popular titles. If the response is good, then go from there. It's just that simple.

I want VEI to make money so it can keep making comics for a long time, not go belly up in their first year because of bad business moves.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Just because they own something doesnt mean they have to print it. VEI could lose a lot of money if they print a book that wont sell. The amount of time and effort they used to clean up the art and the quality of the hardcovers would lead me to guess they are not cheap to produce.
Check the wiki. There's a ton of recolored Armorines, HARD Corps, and Timewalker artwork there.
If I could spend 1 million dollars+ to buy a defunct comic universe, it would not be in my best interest to waste effort trying to make every property usable. Especially in the current comic market. With the increased shipping bills from diamond, titles averaging 3.99 from non marvel/dc publishers, and so much product being shipped each week no one wants a HC that will just sit there.
That could happen to any of the properties, which haven't been seen in a decade.
To spread your efforts to get everything transformed would probably prevent you from doing anything.
From the wiki, we know they have SOME artwork from these comics that has been recolored.

Which is more likely, that they spent money recoloring random images from the comics specifically for the wiki, or that they did it with the intent of using them in some sort of reprint down the line?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote: X-Men stopped producing new stories with issue 66, yet after their revival in the 70's it became one of the most popular comic book franchises ever.

Like I just said, test the waters first by giving them guest appearances in one of the popular titles. If the response is good, then go from there. It's just that simple.

I want VEI to make money so it can keep making comics for a long time, not go belly up in their first year because of bad business moves.
There's no reason to believe that doing a reprint of Armorines or Timewalker would be a "bad business move" just because 13 years ago people didn't like them.

Once upon a time people didn't like GI Joe and X-Men...

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

ManofTheAtom wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:

There's no reason to believe that doing a reprint of Armorines or Timewalker would be a "bad business move" just because 13 years ago people didn't like them.

No reason to believe? How about they didn't sell very well the first time around? That's a pretty good reason to think it would be a bad business move to me.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:

No reason to believe? How about they didn't sell very well the first time around? That's a pretty good reason to think it would be a bad business move to me.
That was 13 years ago.

Something that sold extremely well 13 years ago might not sell enough today to rub two pennies together, while something that sold lousy might make tons of money.

Tastes change. What was popular once might be a fading memory today, while what barely got noticed then might become as popular as the TMNT.

It's a matter of exposure and execution.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

I agree with MOTA on this...

The market might not have have been kind to these titles when they came out, but look at who worked on the books and considering most of them are still in comics says something.

I'm not saying put out a deluxe HC for Timewalker... I always felt the character was so much more then he was presented.

I liked Armorines and Calafiore art suffered from the Valiant house art style but they are still clean looking and the stories (while NOT up to pre-unity standards) are pretty solid.

Printing HC's to order and having the oppritunity to print more once demand catches up. Properties are important to the brand. Holding onto them and not using them isn't smart business.

-Brian

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Btw, one thing I liked about VALIANT (which was mention at CBR) was how guest apperances were not hyped on the cover or in solicits. They happened organically (like, you didn't see Shadowman's name on the cover of XO 4).

Hyped guest apperances for the sake of forcibly making a concept popular aren't the way VALIANT should do it.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

betterthanezra wrote:I agree with MOTA on this...

The market might not have have been kind to these titles when they came out, but look at who worked on the books and considering most of them are still in comics says something.

I'm not saying put out a deluxe HC for Timewalker... I always felt the character was so much more then he was presented.

I liked Armorines and Calafiore art suffered from the Valiant house art style but they are still clean looking and the stories (while NOT up to pre-unity standards) are pretty solid.

Printing HC's to order and having the oppritunity to print more once demand catches up. Properties are important to the brand. Holding onto them and not using them isn't smart business.

-Brian
:thumb:

hellboydce

Post by hellboydce »

ManofTheAtom wrote:
Btw, one thing I liked about VALIANT (which was mention at CBR) was how guest apperances were not hyped on the cover or in solicits. They happened organically (like, you didn't see Shadowman's name on the cover of XO 4).

Hyped guest apperances for the sake of forcibly making a concept popular aren't the way VALIANT should do it.
which i think was one of the reasons Valiant was a breath of fresh air in an era of multiple covers and having to buy issues of comics you never bought just to keep up with the latest 'event'

simpler times

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

hellboydce wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:

which i think was one of the reasons Valiant was a breath of fresh air in an era of multiple covers and having to buy issues of comics you never bought just to keep up with the latest 'event'

simpler times
That's what we need again, an alternative to the current crap from DC and Marvel, like multiverses and retcons.

QWfanSD

Post by QWfanSD »

Is there a plan for the quantumandwoody material? I really want some new stuff.

MedicAR
...formerly MagnusRF
...formerly MagnusRF
Re: Lesser Titles???

Post by MedicAR »

hellboydce wrote:sorry if this has been asked before but, does anyone think we will get any Hard corps, Armorines and Timewalker HC's collections and does anybody apart from me even want them?
Doubtful, but you never know!