Best CrossGen Title? Inquiring Minds Want to Know...

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

thePike
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Best CrossGen Title? Inquiring Minds Want to Know...

Post by thePike »

I was flipping through my LCS's recently expanded $1 box today and noticed several random CrossGen titles that I passed over.

I'm not much of a DU guy (although I do have a few of the old Gold Key titles that I really like) but I've heard CrossGen refered too favorably both here and on other boards.

So my question is this:

What are the 3 best CrossGen comics to read? (from best, to 2nd best, to third best) I'm not going to buy everyone of his issues, but I would like to give it a fair chance by reading the best of the best. The reason I'm asking for 3 is in case he doesn't have any of the first, then I can grab what issues he has of the second and so on.

Thanks in advance! :thumb:

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

the begining of Ruse is A+! First 13 issues (I think)

thePike
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by thePike »

Do I need a full run to get the just of it, or would a few scattered issues gimme a good feel?

(note: If I do like it, I'll dig up the rest eventually)

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

thePike wrote:Do I need a full run to get the just of it, or would a few scattered issues gimme a good feel?

(note: If I do like it, I'll dig up the rest eventually)
Starting from #1 would be best, the story builds on itself, but each one is good. and they give a summary of what happened and who everyone is at the begining of each issue.

cinlach@aol.com
kneel before zod! snoochie boochies!!
kneel before zod! snoochie boochies!!
Valiant fan since: From the beginning...
Favorite character: Wow, who can pick just one?
Favorite writer: FVL FTW!

Post by cinlach@aol.com »

the first 12 issues of sojourn was awesome, as well as the first 20 something issues of scion.

i never got into sigil and meridian, and hated the first, and the path.

all in all i was really disappointed to see them fold, because the books i liked from crossgen i really, really liked.
WWSLJD, MF?

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

cinlach@aol.com wrote:the first 12 issues of sojourn was awesome, as well as the first 20 something issues of scion.

i never got into sigil and meridian, and hated the first, and the path.

all in all i was really disappointed to see them fold, because the books i liked from crossgen i really, really liked.
I concur with most of that...although I never HATED the path...

some of the art in the crossgen books is gorgeous too...

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Scion, Sigil, and Meridian

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!
Re: Best CrossGen Title? Inquiring Minds Want to Know...

Post by Lightning Strike »

thePike wrote:I was flipping through my LCS's recently expanded $1 box today and noticed several random CrossGen titles that I passed over.

I'm not much of a DU guy (although I do have a few of the old Gold Key titles that I really like) but I've heard CrossGen refered too favorably both here and on other boards.

So my question is this:

What are the 3 best CrossGen comics to read? (from best, to 2nd best, to third best)
The best CrossGen title is without a doubt Negation. Great story, sweet art and fantastic concept.

Then Ruse (only the Waid issues though), and Sojourn. Although, Scion was pretty cool too.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Someone (Lightning I think) was really pushing Negation.

I have been slowly getting into Crossgen. Cool colors. :thumb:

The begining of Ruse is in the same "ballpark" as Astro City, Fables, Top 10, even Shooter Valiant in writing. (I think) Not quite as good, but very enjoyable.

Lightning Strike

Elveen wrote:the begining of Ruse is A+! First 13 issues (I think)
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend the Ruse issues that Waid didn't write. But those first 13 issues or so were truly magnificent.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Lightning Strike wrote:
Elveen wrote:the begining of Ruse is A+! First 13 issues (I think)
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend the Ruse issues that Waid didn't write. But those first 13 issues or so were truly magnificent.

I have heard they were bad, so I have not looked at getting them. I have have seen them on the cheap.

Lightning Strike

Elveen wrote:Someone (Lightning I think) was really pushing Negation.
Yep, it was me. I don't want to give anything away to anyone who hasn't read the book yet, but it has one of the best story concepts I've ever seen in comics.

And it's the best art Pelletier has ever done in his career, IMO.

h-comics
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
big time

Post by h-comics »

Here is what i am reading and recommend if you can find them.

For sure Sojourn
Crux
Ruse
Route 666
The Path=The path is not that bad

Jesse

Smashey

Post by Smashey »

Havnt even got them or read them yet but i am sooo excited about sojourn, i cant wait. Put me in a fantasy world and im in heaven.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Smashey wrote:Havnt even got them or read them yet but i am sooo excited about sojourn, i cant wait. Put me in a fantasy world and im in heaven.

I only read the pre and #1..... really liked it.

Visually amazing!

Lightning Strike

Elveen wrote:
Smashey wrote:Havnt even got them or read them yet but i am sooo excited about sojourn, i cant wait. Put me in a fantasy world and im in heaven.

I only read the pre and #1..... really liked it.

Visually amazing!
Yeah, Sojourn is the book that really launched Greg Land's career into the spotlight. He's one of the top artists when it comes to drawing women. :thumb:

Earl
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by Earl »

Almost all of them are good. Ruse was my favourite folowed by Sojourn and Negation.

Earl.

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

Negation was outstanding and the whole series was to be the lynchpin of the Cgen universe with negation bringing all the titles together in a massive crossover which would kickstart a new era for cgen. Gutted it was not finished.

Loved Way of the Rat too. Very underrated indeed.

Sojourn was a joy to read with fantastic art.

There were othere that deserve mention but you said three.

Ian

TDarke
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by TDarke »

Route 666 and Negation were top notch series. Tony Bedard rightly got recognized and picked up by Marvel once Crossgen folded for his triple A work on those two series.

Negation in particular was very well done, although it got too trigger happy with killing characters towards the end of its run. It's a shame Negation War was not finished before Crossgen went under. Anyone have a link to that interview with Bedard where he gives a synopsis of the final 4 issues?

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

The art of CrossGen is what turned me onto it. I was given CrossGen 'samplers' and THAT was all it took. I TRIED to fight it... TWICE but to no avail... and here I am 60 (+/-) issues away from being at 100% and will be beside myself until I get to 100% so that I can start reading the darn things. I have everything that CrossGen put out in digital format but as with my Valiant books, I want to read every issue 'hands on'.

Crux has really caught my eye as a title I can't wait to start reading as well as Sojourn and Ruse.

It is a shame really that this company is no longer around (the story I have related here viewtopic.php?t=7979 ). I think that this is a company that COULD have stood the test of time due to the 'guy in charge' being very dedicated towards the company, building an outstanding artist area (there were private rooms at the CrossGen building in case the artists had to work late and just wanted to crash there for the night, etc), taking care of the artists and making sure that CrossGen books were always available. There was not to be a 'shortage' of CrossGen comics as they wanted 5-7 copies of EVERY CrossGen issue in every LCS that carried CrossGen. Not really a stimulator for the back issue department but CrossGen comics were always there.

Top notch writers, top notch artists, top notch coloring... made some damn nice books and I cannot wait to wade chest deep into these books.

Lightning Strike

Knightt wrote:The art of CrossGen is what turned me onto it. I was given CrossGen 'samplers' and THAT was all it took. I TRIED to fight it... TWICE but to no avail... and here I am 60 (+/-) issues away from being at 100% and will be beside myself until I get to 100% so that I can start reading the darn things. I have everything that CrossGen put out in digital format but as with my Valiant books, I want to read every issue 'hands on'.

Crux has really caught my eye as a title I can't wait to start reading as well as Sojourn and Ruse.

It is a shame really that this company is no longer around (the story I have related here viewtopic.php?t=7979 ). I think that this is a company that COULD have stood the test of time due to the 'guy in charge' being very dedicated towards the company, building an outstanding artist area (there were private rooms at the CrossGen building in case the artists had to work late and just wanted to crash there for the night, etc), taking care of the artists and making sure that CrossGen books were always available. There was not to be a 'shortage' of CrossGen comics as they wanted 5-7 copies of EVERY CrossGen issue in every LCS that carried CrossGen. Not really a stimulator for the back issue department but CrossGen comics were always there.

Top notch writers, top notch artists, top notch coloring... made some damn nice books and I cannot wait to wade chest deep into these books.
Agreed

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Knightt wrote:. and here I am 60 (+/-) issues away from being at 100% and will be beside myself until I get to 100% so that I can start reading the darn things. I
There is that pesky Crossgen needs list of yours. I have been trying to get my hands on that list. But it has slipped from my grasp everytime.

If I just could get my hands on it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

LOL

Give me the weekend... I'm busy as heck but I will see what I can do. Just got lots of stuff on the back burner.

And we are doing a luncheon for CF with the Outback on Friday, so things have been hectic.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Knightt wrote:LOL

Give me the weekend... I'm busy as heck but I will see what I can do. Just got lots of stuff on the back burner.

And we are doing a luncheon for CF with the Outback on Friday, so things have been hectic.
Good luck on the special lunch at Outback.

And Give that dude a big thanks for me will ya'.

rictor
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by rictor »

Negation
Ruse
Meridian