Ebay feedback

VALIANT-related items for sale, trade, or wanted.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes
Ebay feedback

Post by depluto »

At what point do you shun an Ebayer because of their negative feedback?

99 percent? 95 percent?

I've gotten to where anybody under 99 and I really have to think about whether I want to deal with that person.

One other thing: Media Mail sucks.

tbrezz
Long Live Valiant
Long Live Valiant
Valiant fan since: Harbinger 17 May 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by tbrezz »

I think you need to check out both people that was involved. I was under 98 now it's 98.9 because 2 people left bad feedback on me because they screwed me over :x and I had left them a bad feedback 1st. If you'd check the one out he had did the same thing to 3 other people around the same time. So dig a little before you cross them off your list they might have just did business with a real JackA%* :lol:
Long Live Valiant Because the Voices in My Head Say So
Brandon

comicguy
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by comicguy »

I also look at when the negs occured.

Did they happen when the person first started(maybe made some mistakes :roll: ) and has done a great job since 8-) or is it an isolated incident, or still is it part of a trend :? . I usually wont buy from some one less than 97% and with no negs for a while :o

Although, I am surprised at the number of sellers that are on ebay with a 95% or less feedback :o . What is the deal with this, I thought ebay wanted to protect the little guy from bad sellers :P but instead all they care about is those darn listing fees.
Welcome to the Jungle!!

No it wasn't me that did that!!

Escaflown4
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by Escaflown4 »

It's hard to say, usually I give anybody above a 90% a shot. However before I go ahead and bid on anything, I usually do some extensive research on the seller. Meaning I hunt down all his negatives and see who's really at fault and how the person handles the situation. Usually you can tell alot about the personality by the response or what kind of error caused the negative feedback.

Bottom line is just don't look at the percentile, do the research even if the guy has a perfect record. Because anybody can just build up a perfect record by buying cheap stuff and all of a sudden be selling plasma TVs if you get my point.

ikcizokm
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by ikcizokm »

Ebay should remove any negative feedback that was left as a form of "revenge" for your feedback. For example, a guy failed to pay for an auction stating he didn't want the items after he thought about it. I said he shoulda thought before bidding... TWICE. So I left him negative feedback. He e-mailed me and said he was gonna leave me negative feedback because I left it for him, so I forwarded that to Ebay and they blocked him from leaving me feedback. One of the few nice things Ebay has ever done for me.
m a r t i n
Acme Forums

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

I don't deal with anyone who has a feedback rating higher than 13%.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:I don't deal with anyone who has a feedback rating higher than 13%.

:P

I usually read the feedback of any seller below 99.5%.
Generally, it's just some moron who left a negative,
so I don't have any problem bidding when I feel like
the seller is trustworthy... but I like to see 50 to 500 in the total score.

Actually, the higher the overall rating, not percentage, but points,
the more likely the book is quickly graded or your emails will be unanswered.

Take "neatstuff" for example... :wink:

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

I hunt down all his negatives and see who's really at fault and how the person handles the situation. Usually you can tell alot about the personality by the response or what kind of error caused the negative feedback.

Amen to that. Yes, definitely take the time to read some of the feedback comments on the the negs. Most of the time it does show you whether or not the feedback was justified. I also agree that there should be a way for Ebay to remove revenge feedback from your rating.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

I've noticed some people leave some nervous positives ... "Took forever to get here, but finally did" or "Good communication after shipment kept getting lost" I guess they're scared of getting a negbomb in return. I guess it sucks to have your Ebay reputation at the mercy of spitefull buttholes.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

GO WITH YOUR GUT.

PAY WITH A CREDIT CARD.

Those are the two best pieces of advice ANYONE can give you when dealing with people you don't know on eBay and in general.

The feedback system is nearly worthless, and valuable ONLY in determining that a seller has GENERALLY, in the PAST, been good or bad.

But I've had sellers with flawless fb just up and disappear, stealing a whole boatload of money in the process....and 50 negs appear all at once...2 months AFTER you sent your money.

Individual positive feedback itself is WORTHLESS; it's the pattern that gives you a clue.

Negative/neutral feedback is much more valuable, because, for the most part, you REALLY have to *SQUEE* someone off to get them to leave a neg or neutral (and there's nothing 'neutral' about a neutral, it's nothing more than a weak negative. No one leaves a neutral if they were 'only moderately satisfied.') So using the 'neg/neutral seperators like this:

http://auctiononlinedirectory.com/cgi-bin/negs

...is a very easy way to track the negs.

And if you use it, toss Win some money. He's a crusty ol' *SQUEE*, but he's honest and provides a good service.

That said....a low score in comics is a BAD sign (low being anything lower than 98%) Look at 'dapear'. This guy is a BAD, BAD person, who thinks everything he sells is worth a fortune, and will threaten to SUE YOU if you violate ANY of his terms of service. Read the descriptions, too. The man is a psychotic, and I say that with 1000% sincerity, having dealt with him in the past. You DO NOT KNOW psychotic obsessive until you deal with this guy.

So....feedback is a flawed system; only use it in the very broadest of ways. DON'T let feedback replace YOUR GUT instinct, and for GOD'S SAKE, pay with a credit card!

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

ZWH, I checked out some of that guy's feedback out of curiousity ... HOLY COW!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I did love this guy's feedback, though
This guy a rip off and then wrote swear words too me DO NOT BID ON HIS STUFF!!

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

That said....a low score in comics is a BAD sign (low being anything lower than 98%) Look at 'dapear'. This guy is a BAD, BAD person, who thinks everything he sells is worth a fortune, and will threaten to SUE YOU if you violate ANY of his terms of service. Read the descriptions, too. The man is a psychotic, and I say that with 1000% sincerity, having dealt with him in the past. You DO NOT KNOW psychotic obsessive until you deal with this guy.
Sorry to hear about your bad psycho seller experience. I've heard a lot of scary stories just like that but so far I have been lucky to avoid them(on ebay anyway). I know we all scan the auctions looking for the ones we think others have missed on a great find, but chances are others have seen them and are choosing not to deal with the seller for reasons just like this. The system is flawed and I know that Ebay can come up with a better way of encouraging honest comments without fear of revenge feedback. But so far they are not doing the system any justice.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

depluto wrote:ZWH, I checked out some of that guy's feedback out of curiousity ... HOLY COW!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I did love this guy's feedback, though
This guy a rip off and then wrote swear words too me DO NOT BID ON HIS STUFF!!
yeah...I could go on and on and on with example after example...the fact that he's left more negatives than he's received for one...

One of the truly bad people on eBay.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
Sorry to hear about your bad psycho seller experience. I've heard a lot of scary stories just like that but so far I have been lucky to avoid them(on ebay anyway). I know we all scan the auctions looking for the ones we think others have missed on a great find, but chances are others have seen them and are choosing not to deal with the seller for reasons just like this. The system is flawed and I know that Ebay can come up with a better way of encouraging honest comments without fear of revenge feedback. But so far they are not doing the system any justice.
eBay doesn't care. So long as they are profitable, they won't change anything that 'works' for them.

Why would they? They have no motivation to, and they CERTAINLY don't buy into their 'we believe people are basically good' mumbo jumbo.

No. People are 'basically good' when it suits their purposes. Yes, there are a few virtuous people in the world, but by and large, the VAST majority of humanity is 'conditionally good'...ie, it either gets them something they want, or avoids getting them something they don't want.

And that's just the sad reality of humanity. It's true of me, it's true of you, and it's true for the majority of human beings.

andrew
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by andrew »

This was my favorite:

"The box, man ! the box, what does it cost to ship the box. "

ikcizokm

Post by ikcizokm »

I sold a Lord of the Rings glass goblet (the Burger King ones) on eBay a while back and shipped it very securely in its original packaging but wrapped in butcher paper. The guy left me neutral feedback stating he "wished it would have been packaged better". WTF? If it gets there in 1 piece and it was insured, and it arrives on time, I think that should have been a positive. He had a lot of nerve for someone who took 3 weeks to pay $8. I left him neutral in return and sent him an e-mail telling him he was shallow. Felt it was justified.

I bought the Indiana Jones DVD box set from this chick and thought it would be a flawless transaction because she was a few towns away from me. Well, when 30 days passed and she started mounting up the negatives, I did a little digging and called someone in the same town with the same last name and asked if they knew her. Turned out it was her mom and her daughter had been in a serious car accident and was in the hospital. Just goes to show that we're all subjected to "real life" and I was patient and understanding. I ended up getting a refund check from her with a letter of apology, but it was too late for her... her feedback was TANKED. She ended up just opening a new account to get her business going again even tho a lot of the people who had posted negative feedback posted follow-up comments apologizing for being so abbrasive.
m a r t i n
Acme Forums

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

I experienced something similar with a auction I won recently. I payed via paypal almost 4 weeks ago and never heard a word from the seller nor received my stuff. I emailed him this morning and asked him the status of our transaction. He answered me later on in the afternoon saying that his wife was seriously ill in the hospital and the item will ship in the next day or so. I emailed back and thanked him for answering me and told him I was sorry to hear about his wife. Kind of made me feel bad for asking but I didn't know if he had forgot about me or not. I'm glad I give people the benefit of the doubt instead of flying off the handle.