RED hot auctions

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss
Valiant fan since: 1993
RED hot auctions

Post by dino »

Did anyone else notice what a good weekend this was for key issues on ebay? All of Red's auctions hit higher prices than I would have thought:

Valiant RAI # 3 rare low print-run NM (non centered) US $17.50
Valiant RAI # 3 rare low print-run NM (non centered) US $17.00
Valiant Harbinger # 0 pink very hard to find NM US $76.00
Valiant Solar 1-10 first printing all NM US $44.00
Valiant Magus Robot Fighter #0 w/ card NM US $41.51 :shock:
Valiant Magus #12 first Turok NM US $12.51
Valiant Harbinger # 1 w/ coupon NM rare issue US $27.50 :shock:
Valiant Harbinger # 1 w/ coupon NM rare issue US $27.01 :shock:
Valiant Rai # 4 NM low print-run US $26.51 :shock:

Also check out the price of the XO #0 Gold:
VALIANT X-O MANOVER GOLD No. 0 VERY RARE!!!!!!! NM US $67.00 :shock:

tbrezz
Long Live Valiant
Long Live Valiant
Valiant fan since: Harbinger 17 May 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by tbrezz »

I was involed in 2 of those generly i bid higher than guide price to get what I want and i came 2nd in both of them must be people out there crazier than me :shock:
Long Live Valiant Because the Voices in My Head Say So
Brandon

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss

Post by dino »

tbrezz wrote:I was involed in 2 of those generly i bid higher than guide price to get what I want and i came 2nd in both of them must be people out there crazier than me :shock:
Last time someone said that we were a week away from those crazy $100+ VVSS auctions.

tbrezz
Long Live Valiant
Long Live Valiant

Post by tbrezz »

That sounded fun Hope it was the ones that were well worth it
Brandon

Escaflown4
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by Escaflown4 »

Tell me about it, I've been trying for the past few weeks to look for good deals on harbinger and rai pre-unity runs. I notice the prices seemed to go higher and higher. There was this auction that had Rai # 0 - 7 that were all NM condition and some guy outbidded me at $61 last night. Honestly I wouldn't have gone above $50 for a complete preunity Rai, but the pictures really showed them in mint looking condition. I popped in a $60 bid and still couldn't beat the top bidder. Does anyone know what the average going price for complete preunity runs for Rai and Harbinger?

whetteon
"Don't qoute me on that" -whetteon
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Magnus

Post by whetteon »

I've been keeping track of pre-unity sets selling on eBay. The last three similiar sales went for the following:

0-7 = $67.00 (the one you were bidding on)
0-4 = $45.00
0-6 = $64.00
1-33 = $108.50

So I would tend to think that 0-7 is on average of about $60-65. You seem to be buying at about the right price. Harbingers tend to be harder to judge cause they rarely sale as a complete set with all the coupons intact. The best I can do to compare are the following recent auctions:

1-6,41 = $64.50
1-41 = $117.50
1-5 = $50.00
2-6,41 = $35.00

So I would tend to think that 1-7 would run you around $60-70 as well. Hope this helps.
Last edited by whetteon on Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:53:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Site for Tracking Collectible Comic Trends on Ebay
http://www.lyriacomicexchange.com/

DawgPhan
My posts are simmered in four flavors
My posts are simmered in four flavors

Post by DawgPhan »

Escaflown4 wrote:Tell me about it, I've been trying for the past few weeks to look for good deals on harbinger and rai pre-unity runs. I notice the prices seemed to go higher and higher. There was this auction that had Rai # 0 - 7 that were all NM condition and some guy outbidded me at $61 last night. Honestly I wouldn't have gone above $50 for a complete preunity Rai, but the pictures really showed them in mint looking condition. I popped in a $60 bid and still couldn't beat the top bidder. Does anyone know what the average going price for complete preunity runs for Rai and Harbinger?
I would think that you could probably get a complete run of Rai for 60 bucks.. that seems kinda steep...I say keep looking..they will turn up for cheap. I get my rai run 1-5 26-33 for like 30 bucks and the rest of the issues are all dirt cheap...I thought that I got a great deal and it was not to hard to find..I say just keep on looking...and if you dont want to bid more..DONT...no need to beat someone on something like Rai comics...there are TONS of them...

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Almost makes me feel guilty that I paid $30 for that Rai #0-#33 set with the jacked up #4....

....almost.

;)

I am pretty astonished by the X-O #0 Gold. Unbelievable. But...come to think of it, I only have 3-4 copies myself, so it's always been a 'harder' to find Gold.

I wish, though....I wish all those fools who laughed at Valiants in 97-99 could be here eating their humble pie. ;)

Guess the honeymoon is over.

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: They killed her off!
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Nord

Post by wrunow »

Zeph, I was at a local show yesterday, those fools are still laughing, most if not all of the dealers didn't have a clue what these books are worth, and actually, since VALIANTS are all I am buying now, the show was pretty much a waste of time for me.

Sorry I got a little OT.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

One piece of advice....whatever the CURRENT prices are on pre-unitys....go ahead and splurge and go nuts, IF you don't have at least a copy, and IF you want them. The reason is this: no one ever knows what the market will do. We all have educated guesses, but at the end of the day, they're just guesses. No one has a crystal ball.

So, for example, if the current price for, say, Rai #0-#3 is $100....and you really want a set...spend $125.

THEN.....IF the books go down in price, you can ALWAYS leverage your per unit cost by buying them at the cheaper price.

A Harb #1, for example, at $50....and 10 at $10...means your per unit cost was only $13.63. That's what I've done for years, and it's worked out really well. It also demonstrates the beauty of tangible property like comics...no matter what, you'll always have that copy...stocks, however....they go POOF!

And if they DON'T go back down....well, then, you look prescient because you bought so low. See how that works?

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

wrunow wrote:Zeph, I was at a local show yesterday, those fools are still laughing, most if not all of the dealers didn't have a clue what these books are worth, and actually, since VALIANTS are all I am buying now, the show was pretty much a waste of time for me.

Sorry I got a little OT.
No prob, Wrun...I encounter the same thing....no one's got Valiants that they're selling, unless they KNOW...and then the prices are absurd.

Makes for some very puzzled looks. ;)

tbrezz
Long Live Valiant
Long Live Valiant

Post by tbrezz »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:I am pretty astonished by the X-O #0 Gold. Unbelievable. But...come to think of it, I only have 3-4 copies myself, so it's always been a 'harder' to find Gold.
Not that unbelievable especialy if it was your favorite run like it was mine. On the brighter side I did end up with another copy for what i was willing to part with on that auction $66 and that makes it my only copy
Brandon

whetteon

Post by whetteon »

I even noticed my favorite "bargain" website where I used to get steals on early valiant have raised their prices dramatically. At one time I could find a Magnus Run #1-11 for $15. Currently they are asking an unbelievable $38. :p I'm not sure if it's because I keep buying them to hoard, because other forum members have also discovered the website or they have seen the recent eBay prices. :cry:

soundoftheuniverse
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by soundoftheuniverse »

Aye, prices have definitely tightened up over the past year and continue to do so.

I'm really happy I went back home and got my books last year and beat most of the ebay rush in my area. Had I not, there would be a load of Valiants sittin around Washington waiting to be found.

There's still plenty of comic collectors who don't use computers and could care less about Valiants. They may all realize the epiphany that there's a bunch of radicals who are paying real money for Valiants. But as in my case, even after knowing about us crazy people he still didn't care and sold me an entire collection for $500. :lol: The guy (now living in China) also had alot of Valiant Video games, toys & other shwagg I never went back for. :(

There's still GOLD in them thar hills! Lots of LCS's just waiting for ya to relieve them of that GOLD, for pennies on the dollar.

http://www.the-master-list.com/

Get to searchin. 8-)

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss

Post by dino »

Magnus 0 is really heating up:
Magnus Robot Fighter #0 w/ insert card (2255331778) US $46.01

and check out this xo 1/2 gold:
X-O Manowar 1/2 Wizard Gold Version (2253294320) US $89.76

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

tbrezz wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:I am pretty astonished by the X-O #0 Gold. Unbelievable. But...come to think of it, I only have 3-4 copies myself, so it's always been a 'harder' to find Gold.
Not that unbelievable especialy if it was your favorite run like it was mine. On the brighter side I did end up with another copy for what i was willing to part with on that auction $66 and that makes it my only copy
When a book has been selling for $5-$10 for nearly 8 years...it's pretty damn unbelievable that it would then sell for $67 a mere few months later. It doesn't matter if it was someone's 'favorite run', the book could be had from 1996-ish to 2003 for $5-$10.

Now it's selling for 6-10 times that.

tbrezz
Long Live Valiant
Long Live Valiant

Post by tbrezz »

Things come and go I asume that there are alot of people getting getting out their old comics and deciding to finish off the collection. Me i'll do what it takes to get what i want and so will alot of people so there goes the prices up. When I first was collecting Valiant I paid around $80 for magnus 12 the other day I saw it BIN for under $20 Great deal in my book. It' just to bad I didn't decide to finish it off last year as you said when prices were really low :cry:
Brandon

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

tbrezz wrote:Things come and go I asume that there are alot of people getting getting out their old comics and deciding to finish off the collection. Me i'll do what it takes to get what i want and so will alot of people so there goes the prices up.
Naturally.

But that's the point...up until very recently, there WASN'T anyone around to 'drive prices up.'
When I first was collecting Valiant I paid around $80 for magnus 12 the other day I saw it BIN for under $20 Great deal in my book. It' just to bad I didn't decide to finish it off last year as you said when prices were really low :cry:
A great deal, in economic terms, is getting something for less than current market price. A great deal in person terms is, of course, any price less than the most you're willing to pay. If $20 is a great deal to you, cool!

And the deals are out there....I won, in March, a Magnus #1-29 for $25 shipped. Cool! :)

tbrezz
Long Live Valiant
Long Live Valiant

Post by tbrezz »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:And the deals are out there....I won, in March, a Magnus #1-29 for $25 shipped. Cool! :)
Awesome deal. I agree on there being some great deals out there still about 3 weeks ago for $21 I got 43 Eternal Warriors which consisted of 40 from the series 2-10 some in the 20's and 30's and 41-50 both yearbooks and the other 3 was the specials Fist and steel and wings of justice. which some of thoose were doubles for me but the rest finished off the set :D
Brandon

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss

Post by dino »

Bloodshot #0 Gold $41.00 (#2256291899)

I'm guessing someone thinks they can CGC and flip it because it has a wrap around chromium cover. thoughts?

whetteon

Post by whetteon »

The winner has a long history of buying Valiant’s. Including Brother_j's unity red for $90. Either he's a speculator or just really into Valiant’s. There hasn't been a lot of Bloodshot #0 golds sold lately either (5 total since march) so maybe the bidders just didn't know how much the issues usually sells for (On average of $20). Seeing that his past buys show no signs of hoarding any one particular issue, I suspect he just wants a copy for himself. Price was not an issue.

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

Yep, that guy bought a Unity Red and some VH2 books, as well, so I think he's a collector, not necessarily a flipper. I hope he gets this gold in good shape. The seller is the guy who had all the Magnus #21 Golds that started at $2.99 or so and would ship them with just a small piece of cardboard in a manilla envelope. I think several here complained about getting damaged books from him.

tbrezz
Long Live Valiant
Long Live Valiant

Post by tbrezz »

I was going after the BS gold was to bid 38 when it was 26 by the time i went to the confirm page it was at 41 no time to get back to change it. I hope the seller ships better now I won Psi lords 1 gold off him. and if it would come like that and be damaged I'd be Cheesed off :evil:
Brandon

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

To those of you paying more than $5 for gold ANYTHING....my hat's off to you, AND....if they were shipped crappy and damaged in shipping, I'd raise holy hell...ESPECIALLY if I'd paid 41 bones for it. CRAZY!