Infected - EU Comic predicts pandemic

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: greg, Daniel Jackson

Post Reply
User avatar
possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Posts: 1087
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:35:29 pm
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Location: Alabama
Infected - EU Comic predicts pandemic

Post by possumgrease »

This is interesting. The European Union published a comic book in 2006 that deals with a pandemic emerging from Chinese wet market.

Any one know how to get a printed copy or have one for sale?

The digital version can be found here:
https://op.europa.eu/en/publication-de ... 03a6ee877d

User avatar
Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Posts: 20644
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:09:11 am
Favorite character: Kris
Location: Texas
Contact:
Re: Infected - EU Comic predicts pandemic

Post by Chiclo »

I cannot help you on the printed copy but that is interesting. The fact that it was published by the EU certainly seems suspicious, but the last few pages suggest to me that it was printed to raise awareness of Health One.

I mean, sure, "they" still want to take our trucks and guns and Bibles, replace dollar bills with dollar coins, herd us into living in large cities where we ride public transportation, take away cash and move us all to some sort of digitally trackable money supply and MAKE US USE THE METRIC SYSTEM AND WATCH SOCCER IN AMERICA. But I doubt that "they" made this virus - they were just ready when it happened.

User avatar
greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Posts: 22296
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:39:27 am
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Location: Indoors
Contact:
Re: Infected - EU Comic predicts pandemic

Post by greg »

Chiclo wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:56:42 pm
I cannot help you on the printed copy but that is interesting. The fact that it was published by the EU certainly seems suspicious, but the last few pages suggest to me that it was printed to raise awareness of Health One.

I mean, sure, "they" still want to take our trucks and guns and Bibles, replace dollar bills with dollar coins, herd us into living in large cities where we ride public transportation, take away cash and move us all to some sort of digitally trackable money supply and MAKE US USE THE METRIC SYSTEM AND WATCH SOCCER IN AMERICA. But I doubt that "they" made this virus - they were just ready when it happened.
It's interesting how many things are "eerily predictable" when they're really just "inevitable".

Predicting a global problem that impacts everyone is always correct... by definition, all global problems impact everyone.
Having no specific timeline is eventually correct... when it happens, you can just say it was the one predicted.
If there's a global problem, the odds are good that China is involved... it's the biggest country.
If there's a global problem related to health, it's going to be a virus. We had the Spanish Flu globally 100 years ago.
If there's a global problem, it will impact economies... if it doesn't impact the economy, it isn't a problem.

So, predicting a "global problem impacting the economy as a result of a virus from China" is like predicting "terrorist activity leading to death and destruction in the United States as retaliation for U.S. military operations in hostile countries".

It's just a matter of time... and then it's just restating how the sun comes up in the east with extra words, vagueness, and national borders.

User avatar
Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Posts: 20644
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:09:11 am
Favorite character: Kris
Location: Texas
Contact:
Re: Infected - EU Comic predicts pandemic

Post by Chiclo »

greg wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:07:40 pm
Chiclo wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:56:42 pm
I cannot help you on the printed copy but that is interesting. The fact that it was published by the EU certainly seems suspicious, but the last few pages suggest to me that it was printed to raise awareness of Health One.

I mean, sure, "they" still want to take our trucks and guns and Bibles, replace dollar bills with dollar coins, herd us into living in large cities where we ride public transportation, take away cash and move us all to some sort of digitally trackable money supply and MAKE US USE THE METRIC SYSTEM AND WATCH SOCCER IN AMERICA. But I doubt that "they" made this virus - they were just ready when it happened.
It's interesting how many things are "eerily predictable" when they're really just "inevitable".

Predicting a global problem that impacts everyone is always correct... by definition, all global problems impact everyone.
Having no specific timeline is eventually correct... when it happens, you can just say it was the one predicted.
If there's a global problem, the odds are good that China is involved... it's the biggest country.
If there's a global problem related to health, it's going to be a virus. We had the Spanish Flu globally 100 years ago.
If there's a global problem, it will impact economies... if it doesn't impact the economy, it isn't a problem.

So, predicting a "global problem impacting the economy as a result of a virus from China" is like predicting "terrorist activity leading to death and destruction in the United States as retaliation for U.S. military operations in hostile countries".

It's just a matter of time... and then it's just restating how the sun comes up in the east with extra words, vagueness, and national borders.
So you are saying this is basically astrology?

Maybe my opening statement was a bit vague - I don't think this comic came from any insider information anybody in the EU had; I think they were wanting a tool to raise awareness of the newest UN Agenda-21 enlightened despotism program. Were the One Health program effective, I think we would have heard something from them in the last few months. So maybe it is astrology after all.

User avatar
greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Posts: 22296
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:39:27 am
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Location: Indoors
Contact:
Re: Infected - EU Comic predicts pandemic

Post by greg »

Chiclo wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:07:57 pm
So you are saying this is basically astrology?

Maybe my opening statement was a bit vague - I don't think this comic came from any insider information anybody in the EU had; I think they were wanting a tool to raise awareness of the newest UN Agenda-21 enlightened despotism program. Were the One Health program effective, I think we would have heard something from them in the last few months. So maybe it is astrology after all.
Nah, there's a lot more pseudo-math in astrology. :lol:

This is Nostradamus-Lite.

Lo, there shall be born a man of no great wealth, who through no skill of his own, save the ability to purchase a single lotterie-tiquette (translation uncertain), shall reap unfathomable rewards in this life, for which he will have both been sure of his obtaining yet surprised by its arrival.

User avatar
Sunlight on Snow
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Posts: 1361
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 1:11:03 pm
Re: Infected - EU Comic predicts pandemic

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

The Robert-K.-Institute (RKI) in Germany is publishing annual reports about infections incl. an evaluation of a potential pandemic. They've been warning politicians for years (since SARS/MERS) that something like this would happen sooner or later and that the country wouldn't be well prepared; e.g. running out of a sufficient amount of face masks quickly but also the lack of respiratory devices and hospital beds, etc.

At some point the federal and state governments had even discussed this scenario but they couldn't find an agreement who would have to pay for
it thus nobody did anything at all as usual. Ironically, Germany's still one of the countries who got lucky somehow.

Even the Bundesliga ("football" league) has resumed the season this weekend. So called "ghost games".....still better than no live sports.

ps. I'll try to find a direct link to one of those reports from the RKI in English but have to have dinner first. I'm starving.
You'll be shocked by the detail.

User avatar
Sunlight on Snow
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Posts: 1361
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 1:11:03 pm
Re: Infected - EU Comic predicts pandemic

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Really hard to find in English.

Here's a summary in English; the other documents are in German only. Sorry.
https://www.foreigner.fi/articulo/coron ... 04958.html

Here's the report from the German parliament from 2012 (the risk analysis starts on page 55):
http://dipbt.bundestag.de/doc/btd/17/120/1712051.pdf

What they describe as the "modi-SARS" virus is almost identical with the current SARS-CoV-2 except the predicted virus would have been even more lethal....which I believe is the reason why they're still so damn serious about everything and keep talking about the second wave. In this analysis the pandemic lasts 3-4 years including 3 waves (during the normal influenza seasons).

There's another analysis report regarding crisis management during a hypothetical pandemic (from 2007-2008). They already reported and criticized the lack of preparedness.
https://www.bbk.bund.de/SharedDocs/Down ... t_lang.pdf

User avatar
BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Posts: 9483
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:47:04 pm
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Location: Central CT
Re: Infected - EU Comic predicts pandemic

Post by BugsySig »

The Resistance from AWA came out with its first issue right as the pandemic was hitting. So far only the one issue, but it was interesting. Similar story of a virus sweeping through the world...starting in China I believe. Then it just suddenly stops spreading. The superhero spin is that some of the survivors develop powers. It was pretty good and I hope they can still publish more issues.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t
Image

User avatar
Sunlight on Snow
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Posts: 1361
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 1:11:03 pm
Re: Infected - EU Comic predicts pandemic

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

BugsySig wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:17:53 pm
The Resistance from AWA came out with its first issue right as the pandemic was hitting. So far only the one issue, but it was interesting. Similar story of a virus sweeping through the world...starting in China I believe. Then it just suddenly stops spreading. The superhero spin is that some of the survivors develop powers. It was pretty good and I hope they can still publish more issues.
Wait! What?! The first issue has already been published???

I ordered it but haven't received it yet. Damn you, Corona!!! My entire pull list is so messed up right now. The only thing that's not is Valiant.

The IRONY! :lol: facepalm

User avatar
BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Posts: 9483
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:47:04 pm
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Location: Central CT
Re: Infected - EU Comic predicts pandemic

Post by BugsySig »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:17:53 pm
The Resistance from AWA came out with its first issue right as the pandemic was hitting. So far only the one issue, but it was interesting. Similar story of a virus sweeping through the world...starting in China I believe. Then it just suddenly stops spreading. The superhero spin is that some of the survivors develop powers. It was pretty good and I hope they can still publish more issues.
Wait! What?! The first issue has already been published???

I ordered it but haven't received it yet. Damn you, Corona!!! My entire pull list is so messed up right now. The only thing that's not is Valiant.

The IRONY! :lol: facepalm
I read it digitally, but yes I believe it was published. Issue 3 was solicited to be released TODAY 5/20, but issues 2-4 are all just listed as “coming soon” on their website.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t
Image

User avatar
Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Posts: 20644
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:09:11 am
Favorite character: Kris
Location: Texas
Contact:
Re: Infected - EU Comic predicts pandemic

Post by Chiclo »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:38:58 am
Even the Bundesliga ("football" league) has resumed the season this weekend. So called "ghost games".....still better than no live sports.
Welche Münchner Fußballmannschaft kennt man auf der ganzen Welt?
Wie heißt dieser Klub, der hierzulande die Rekorde hält?

I mean BOO SOCCER BOO! Get that metric football out of here!

User avatar
Sunlight on Snow
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Posts: 1361
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 1:11:03 pm
Re: Infected - EU Comic predicts pandemic

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Chiclo wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:07:52 am
Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:38:58 am
Even the Bundesliga ("football" league) has resumed the season this weekend. So called "ghost games".....still better than no live sports.
Welche Münchner Fußballmannschaft kennt man auf der ganzen Welt?
Wie heißt dieser Klub, der hierzulande die Rekorde hält?

I mean BOO SOCCER BOO! Get that metric football out of here!
Hm, möchtest Du Dich nun über metrischen Fussball unterhalten oder lieber nicht?

Ich nehme hier durchaus unterschiedliche Schwingungen wahr. :P

User avatar
Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Posts: 20644
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:09:11 am
Favorite character: Kris
Location: Texas
Contact:
Re: Infected - EU Comic predicts pandemic

Post by Chiclo »

Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:21:06 am
Chiclo wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:07:52 am
Sunlight on Snow wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:38:58 am
Even the Bundesliga ("football" league) has resumed the season this weekend. So called "ghost games".....still better than no live sports.
Welche Münchner Fußballmannschaft kennt man auf der ganzen Welt?
Wie heißt dieser Klub, der hierzulande die Rekorde hält?

I mean BOO SOCCER BOO! Get that metric football out of here!
Hm, möchtest Du Dich nun über metrischen Fussball unterhalten oder lieber nicht?

Ich nehme hier durchaus unterschiedliche Schwingungen wahr. :P
Certainly not in High German! I can barely gesprikt the stuff.

I do admit, I have stronger feelings of appreciation for particular European soccer teams than I do for American football - except the Cowboys, I always hate the Cowboys. Even more than I hate the gutless sons of *SQUEE* that play soccer in Barcelona.


Post Reply