Schools K-12 shut down in Louisiana till April 13th due to Coronavirus

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham
Schools K-12 shut down in Louisiana till April 13th due to Coronavirus

Post by Juki »

....shutdown of Jefferson Parish schools just announced by Governor Edwards. No gatherings allowed over 250 people.

This can’t be good for the Bloodshot movie. I saw it last night with about 14 people in the theater. I enjoyed seeing Valiant come to life on the big screen.
Last edited by Juki on Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:13:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: Schools K-12 shut down in Louisiana till April 13th due to Coronavirus

Post by BugsySig »

My school (as are most) in CT closing Monday for min 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Here in Germany, almost all federal states will shut down all kindergartens and schools beginning next Monday.

Everybody is urged not to go anywhere other than groceries, pharmacies, and banks.

All companies, if possible, already let their employees work from home.

Most TV shows are now being held without audiences.

Everything else has been suspended or canceled.

Today is Friday the 13th.

#Corona

sucks!

:!:

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

We are shut down in Seattle until April 27, at a minimum. It's not good. I'm worried about them closing down airports, which I'm pretty dependent on.

Ralph Malph
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 91
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: Vendetti
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by Ralph Malph »

Illinois Governor just closed schools until March 30th here.

-RM

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Have they cancelled Eurovision? I am still mad about them dicking over Norway. HE LÅ E LOI LA.

This panic buying toilet paper puzzles me. Nearly the whole aisle at Walmart was bought out today.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

I just wish things were following the advice of scientists and experts as opposed to Politicians who globally seem great at causing fear and hysteria but with only a few exceptions seem to not now how to lead.

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Chiclo wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:42:46 pm Have they cancelled Eurovision? I am still mad about them dicking over Norway. HE LÅ E LOI LA.
Eurovision? You're worried about Eurovision?

Not_Bloodshot
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Favorite character: The Goat
Favorite writer: David Micheline
Favorite artist: Davis

Post by Not_Bloodshot »

Juki wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:31:11 pm ....shutdown of Jefferson Parish schools just announced by Governor Edwards. No gatherings allowed over 250 people.

This can’t be good for the Bloodshot movie. I saw it last night with about 14 people in the theater. I enjoyed seeing Valiant come to life on the big screen.
I went to Baton Rouge to watch it today because they weren’t playing it on the Dolby Screens in NOLA. There were about 10-15 people at the 11:15 showing.

I liked the movie A LOT more than the trailers, but yeah, Corona will jack it...

At least it did $1.2M for the Thursday showings.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Blood of Heroes wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:59:53 pm
Chiclo wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:42:46 pm Have they cancelled Eurovision? I am still mad about them dicking over Norway. HE LÅ E LOI LA.
Eurovision? You're worried about Eurovision?

Eurovision is one of the best circuses going, and probably more significant for international cooperation than the Olympics.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Here is how Corona virus may have screwed me over personally -

I ordered a couple of lightsabers from a sorta-shady internet website from China. My nieces and nephews were finally allowed to watch Star Wars late last year and they have caught Star Wars fever. I have a fancy Force FX Darth Maul lightsaber that I bought on clearance at a pawn shop for $20 several years ago and we had a lot of fun playing with it. I got to digging around and I found this website that turned out to ship from China, greydragon.net that had some cheap Force FX lightsabers, I paid with paypal for two, shipping and all I was out about $65. Honestly, I am not totally sure what I am expecting, the description of the item lists both Force FX lightsabers (an officially licensed product) and Ultrasabers (a fan-made knockoff product), but it should be a couple of sturdy lightsabers that light up and make sounds, so good for play-dueling with a couple of kids at the same time. I made my order in early February and finally on the 29th I get a tracking number. On the 5th of March, the tracking number got to Hong Kong where it was listed as "handed over to airline". And there it has sat for over a week. I am guessing one of two things has happened, either 1) when they handed the package over to the airline, the tracking number changed and the information on the old number wasn't updated by the airline, so the package is still on its way to me untracked; or 2) air mail from Hong Kong and other places in Asia have been halted since before 5 March. I hope for the former but fear for the latter. I hope that if I get skunked too bad with my gamble, paypal will refund my money, and I understand in such situations, at least on eBay, Paypal too often takes the side of the buyer unquestioned, which is why I was comfortable taking this gamble on this shady website to begin with.

Sunlight on Snow

Chiclo wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:42:46 pm This panic buying toilet paper puzzles me. Nearly the whole aisle at Walmart was bought out today.
Toilet paper, soap, frozen spinach, and that Mexican beer....completely raided everywhere.

It just took us 3 hours and 5 stores to get everything we needed.

They can shut down now.

Sunlight on Snow

I was lucky to order something from Shenzhen in late Dec. and received it in less than 2 weeks (incl. 4-5 days at German customs in Frankfurt).

1.5 months ago I ordered something else from Tokyo and received it in less than 5 business days. Fastest delivery ever!

:hope: for your lightsabers.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:36:13 am
Chiclo wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:42:46 pm This panic buying toilet paper puzzles me. Nearly the whole aisle at Walmart was bought out today.
Toilet paper, soap, frozen spinach, and that Mexican beer....completely raided everywhere.

They can shut down now.
Took me 3 stores to buy a chicken yesterday. Each one of them was out of TP.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

nycjadie wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:14:37 am
Sunlight on Snow wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:36:13 am

They can shut down now.
Took me 3 stores to buy a chicken yesterday. Each one of them was out of TP.
I went to the Wal-Mart and it was cleaned out of toilet paper, paper towels, napkins, bleach wipes (there was one bottle left, store brand and scented). I did not check on the Corona. Part of me thinks because I live in a majority hispanic county, that means that Mexican beer would be high in demand, but the other part of me knows that most Mexicans in America (Mexican-Americans and Mexican-Mexicans living in America, and we have lots of both) drink Bud Light and that Bud Light is more of a real Mexican beer than Corona, which like Guiness is more of a fashion accessory than a preferred flavour of beer.

And then I went to Lowe's, a grocery store that is close to my house and... it's a store where mostly hispanic folks shop. Whatever the currently politically correct way to say that is. Anyway, you'd never know that there was a run on those essentials looking at the shelves at Lowe's. I guess the white people are panic buying and the hispanics are not. :? Or maybe only the "Americanised Mexicans" are panic buying?

I also stopped by a couple of dollar stores just to gawk. Dollar Tree, in the strip mall next to the Walmart was mostly out of toilet paper. They still had Scott toilet paper, which I would not purchase for my home given a choice as it barely meets the description of toilet paper. It's like half-ply, worthless trash. I also hit the Family Dollar (same company, different name) down the street from Lowe's and their shelves were almost completely bare. Seriously, gotta be 5 blocks between the two stores and Lowe's didn't look different from any other Friday and the Family Dollar was almost to bare shelves on the toilet paper.

Blood of Heroes

Chiclo wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:28:31 am Here is how Corona virus may have screwed me over personally -

I ordered a couple of lightsabers from a sorta-shady internet website from China. My nieces and nephews were finally allowed to watch Star Wars late last year and they have caught Star Wars fever. I have a fancy Force FX Darth Maul lightsaber that I bought on clearance at a pawn shop for $20 several years ago and we had a lot of fun playing with it. I got to digging around and I found this website that turned out to ship from China, greydragon.net that had some cheap Force FX lightsabers, I paid with paypal for two, shipping and all I was out about $65. Honestly, I am not totally sure what I am expecting, the description of the item lists both Force FX lightsabers (an officially licensed product) and Ultrasabers (a fan-made knockoff product), but it should be a couple of sturdy lightsabers that light up and make sounds, so good for play-dueling with a couple of kids at the same time. I made my order in early February and finally on the 29th I get a tracking number. On the 5th of March, the tracking number got to Hong Kong where it was listed as "handed over to airline". And there it has sat for over a week. I am guessing one of two things has happened, either 1) when they handed the package over to the airline, the tracking number changed and the information on the old number wasn't updated by the airline, so the package is still on its way to me untracked; or 2) air mail from Hong Kong and other places in Asia have been halted since before 5 March. I hope for the former but fear for the latter. I hope that if I get skunked too bad with my gamble, paypal will refund my money, and I understand in such situations, at least on eBay, Paypal too often takes the side of the buyer unquestioned, which is why I was comfortable taking this gamble on this shady website to begin with.
Wow. Really puts things into perspective.
I’ll be praying for you and your family and the speedy recovery of your missing lightsabers. No child should have to go without an elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

Blood of Heroes

Chiclo wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:14:31 am
Eurovision is one of the best circuses going, and probably more significant for international cooperation than the Olympics.
Good point.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Chiclo wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:42:46 pmHE LÅ E LOI LA.
Sámiid ædnan - a classic!

Back on topic I'm a bit scared over the Swedish health authorities. They have lots of strange ideas, like that the virus cannot spread in schools. But many schools close despite what the authrities say.

/Magnus

Sunlight on Snow

Chiclo wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:17:07 pmI went to the Wal-Mart and it was cleaned out of toilet paper, paper towels, napkins, bleach wipes (there was one bottle left, store brand and scented). I did not check on the Corona. Part of me thinks because I live in a majority hispanic county, that means that Mexican beer would be high in demand, but the other part of me knows that most Mexicans in America (Mexican-Americans and Mexican-Mexicans living in America, and we have lots of both) drink Bud Light and that Bud Light is more of a real Mexican beer than Corona, which like Guiness is more of a fashion accessory than a preferred flavour of beer.
Same here....except much less Mexicans.

It's quite expensive compared to local brands ("Kölsch") which is why there's always Corona on the shelves. Not anymore.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Seattle, downtown. No toilet paper, no disinfectant, etc. I pilfered a bottle of isopropyl alcohol out of the storeroom!

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

magnusr wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:33:32 pm
Chiclo wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:42:46 pmHE LÅ E LOI LA.
Sámiid ædnan - a classic!

Back on topic I'm a bit scared over the Swedish health authorities. They have lots of strange ideas, like that the virus cannot spread in schools. But many schools close despite what the authrities say.

/Magnus
We were watching old Eurovision competitions and we watched their year and I was pretty excited when I figured out they were saying the same thing as that guy from the Norwegian entrant last year. I think that was one of the Johnny Logan years, and we watched that year because Bridget is always talking about Johnny Logan on Bridget and Eamon. (Weird little convergence there.)

I was a little worried at first, I speak halfway decent Bokmål but I could not figure out what was being said. Then I found out it was a Saami dialect. Those languages are... intimidating to say the least. Finnish and Estonian were created in the absence of a god.

Say na na na.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

Blood of Heroes wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:28:43 pm
Chiclo wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:28:31 am Here is how Corona virus may have screwed me over personally -

Wow. Really puts things into perspective.
I’ll be praying for you and your family and the speedy recovery of your missing lightsabers. No child should have to go without an elegant weapon for a more civilized age.
I can say with authority that Hong Kong - USA (and Singapore - USA) mail as of Friday has been working normally. We have had zero business disruptions caused by mail/documents (and comics for me) not arriving on time. Who knows if this latest hysteria changes that but mail/Fedex/DHL have all been fine.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Saw a friend from HK here on Weds. felt sorry for him. Far more risk here than in HK. We went out to a fancy restaurant with only five other people, in the entire restaurant.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

There is talk of shutting down Louisiana school system for the rest of the school year. My kids are doing their work via online distribution.

Trump said today that he doesn’t foresee a need to implement a mandatory national shutdown. He seems to be leaving it up to each state.

Tax extension until July.

On a local level our state park, Bayou Segnette, is being set up as a COVID-19 site. Basically an extended hospital. People are already using the cabins there and 95 additional trailers are being set up to care for up to 1000 more patients.

Sunlight on Snow

http://ldh.la.gov/coronavirus/

479 cases reported
1,047 tests completed

That's like almost 50%. That can't be right.