Savage #1 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Savage #1 Discussion

Post by DirtbagSailor »

My published review:
"Savage #1 delivers on every level with a compelling story and world-class artistic team"
http://all-comic.com/2016/advance-review-savage-1/
Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:24:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa
Re: Savage #1 Discussion

Post by JCP »

I always appreciate these.
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Posted.

JCP
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

Thanks DBS! Looks like a solid read and book to get a 1:50 variant of for the PC.
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Great read, DBS, as always.

I think it's interesting... the general consensus ahead of this book is that he will be a Turok analog, but it really sounds more like he is a Tarzan analog. Or, at least, for now. Maybe if/when he get's brought in closer to the Valiant Universe proper he will be more Turok-y.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Keith wrote:Great read, DBS, as always.

I think it's interesting... the general consensus ahead of this book is that he will be a Turok analog, but it really sounds more like he is a Tarzan analog. Or, at least, for now. Maybe if/when he get's brought in closer to the Valiant Universe proper he will be more Turok-y.
I think Savage could be a lesbian black female and people would STILL think "Turok." :lol:

LaRosa created Savage with the concept of Jungle Book in the Valiant Universe. He was thinking Tarzan, and the idea of Turok was NEVER even considered.

Clay Moore (who wrote Savage) stated that Tarzan of the Apes (written by Edgar Rice Burroughs) was a large part of his inspiration, never once mentioning Turok.

I spoke to Dinesh about this at NC Comic Con and he basically said that "the best way for Valiant to do Turok, was simply to NOT do Turok!"

Savage is NOT Turok. He is a 15 year old British kid.

Savage is a.) the main character, and b.) an accurate discription of the "savage" characters, events, and settings that occur in the title.

Keith
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Enjoyed this issue... felt like a mix between Tarzan and Lost.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Keith wrote:Enjoyed this issue... felt like a mix between Tarzan and Lost.
I concur! I really was looking forward to this read, and I was not let down. Art was fantastic! Man, what a beaut!!
Moose

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

I was looking forward to this, but my expectations were blown out of the water! What a great first issue!
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I liked both stories. Me gusta

KladerusofWar
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar, Bloodshot, Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Harbinger
Favorite writer: Matt kindt, Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Raul Allen, Mico Suayan

Post by KladerusofWar »

What an awesome issue!, Liked the intro action scene and then how we met the stranded family and the misteries of this "Island"

Hopefully in the future we get some inside of how Savage is conected with the rest of the valiant universe (like we see in Divinity 1)

BUT OVERALL: Awesome issue, I want to read how the story goes :clap:

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Keith wrote:Enjoyed this issue... felt like a mix between Tarzan and Lost.
I concur! I really was looking forward to this read, and I was not let down. Art was fantastic! Man, what a beaut!!
I agree with both of you. Story is straight forward and well done and the art is outstanding. :thumb:

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Great first issue, loved the story & spectacular art from both Larosa & Henry.

I'm personally not interested in a Turok type character at all, but I think this character is going to go in a different direction than that eventually. This is just the roots of what forged him.

Very interested in two specific little tidbits from this - first, he's got two siblings somewhere in the world! I'm looking forward to that being fleshed out in the future as a potential story point.

Second, it looked like he took a full-on, jaws-clamped bite from that one dinosaur and it barely injured or phased him... so I think there's something special about him that hasn't been revealed yet...
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jeremycoe
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

grendeljd wrote:
Second, it looked like he took a full-on, jaws-clamped bite from that one dinosaur and it barely injured or phased him... so I think there's something special about him that hasn't been revealed yet...
Maybe something to do with those eggs he gathered. It seemed the eggs were hinted at as being important throughout the issue. I'm also curious about the cruise ship.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [and Gen. Zero #4], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr93/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

jeremycoe wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Maybe something to do with those eggs he gathered. It seemed the eggs were hinted at as being important throughout the issue. I'm also curious about the cruise ship.
Yeah, could be! The fact that there are dinosaurs here is a mystery of its own, but maybe there's something special about their eggs... :hm:

I like that we don't know what's going on with this island yet - I'd like to see it have some kind of connection to The Faraway though, like maybe there's a time-arc portal somewhere there...

Dallow Spicer1
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

grendeljd wrote:If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [and Gen. Zero #4], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr93/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Haven't read Savage yet so once I have I'll be tuning in...tell me Chris is in the show too...his reviews of Gen Zero are classics! :clap:

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

grendeljd wrote:Second, it looked like he took a full-on, jaws-clamped bite from that one dinosaur and it barely injured or phased him... so I think there's something special about him that hasn't been revealed yet...
Yeah, I was wondering if we were supposed to think he performed that maneuver so quickly that the jaws hadn't fully closed yet or something. But you guys are right, there's too much emphasis on the eggs for them to simply be a meal.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
grendeljd wrote:If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [and Gen. Zero #4], please follow the link;

Haven't read Savage yet so once I have I'll be tuning in...tell me Chris is in the show too...his reviews of Gen Zero are classics! :clap:
Yep, Chris is in! I didn't make it this week though - it's Sean, Chris & Softy

QUARTZ
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by QUARTZ »

Great opening, I definitely thought "Turok" when hearing about this title, but it really is different in style, concept, and execution.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

I enjoyed this first issue and I'm pleased that after the duds that were Faith, A&A and Gen Zero, VEI have since scored a hat-trick with Britannia, Harbinger Renegades and now Savage.

The Turok comparisons are inevitable but I think this book will turn out to be sufficiently different to put those concerns aside.

Larosa's art is phenomenal and immediately grabs the attention, how can any new reader not be impressed?!

I'm not usually a huge fan of Henry's art but this was the best I've seen from him. I was enjoying his parts of the story until my one bug bear of the book happened! :!: in the scene where Mrs Savage goes into the water to save Beckham, and I don't wear glasses so correct me if I'm wrong, but how do her glasses stay on whilst she's swimming and then when she goes under the water?!?! :? facepalm I hate when artists stick so rigidly to the character design that they override logic! Only a small gripe but enough to take me out of the story momentarily.

Overall an excellent start by Moore and the artists, roll on issue #2 - 4/5 :thumb:

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

jmatt wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Second, it looked like he took a full-on, jaws-clamped bite from that one dinosaur and it barely injured or phased him... so I think there's something special about him that hasn't been revealed yet...
Yeah, I was wondering if we were supposed to think he performed that maneuver so quickly that the jaws hadn't fully closed yet or something. But you guys are right, there's too much emphasis on the eggs for them to simply be a meal.
Yup that bothered me to. But perhaps next time they can do a inner panel that shows the clamp with his arm out of the way because if that Dino chopped his arm he'd have cut his artery and he'd bleed out real fast. If it was me I'd slice the roof of the mouth so it would pull back before closing. Like a pulling slice on the way out.
Coukd have stayed in the tree with rocks and beat it from obove. I guess risk breaking breakfast.
Even if he had leather wrapped around his arm He'd have broken bones.
It was a good scene.
I Miss the good old days.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

nonplayer wrote:
jmatt wrote:
Yup that bothered me to. But perhaps next time they can do a inner panel that shows the clamp with his arm out of the way because if that Dino chopped his arm he'd have cut his artery and he'd bleed out real fast. If it was me I'd slice the roof of the mouth so it would pull back before closing. Like a pulling slice on the way out.
Coukd have stayed in the tree with rocks and beat it from obove. I guess risk breaking breakfast.
It was a good scene.
I do remember a panel where his arm was slightly bloody and he was dragging it a little, then it was gone, the dino had to have bitten him. Also, that dino would have made for some good food, there would have been some meat on that body. Yet, he left it just laying there and only cared about the eggs. Being in a world where being on the top of the food chain isn't a guarantee, every little bit of food would matter.
Moose

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
nonplayer wrote:
jmatt wrote:
It was a good scene.
I do remember a panel where his arm was slightly bloody and he was dragging it a little, then it was gone, the dino had to have bitten him. Also, that dino would have made for some good food, there would have been some meat on that body. Yet, he left it just laying there and only cared about the eggs. Being in a world where being on the top of the food chain isn't a guarantee, every little bit of food would matter.
Maybe that's the Dino that was planning the family for 15 years and killer's dad in the first issue
I Miss the good old days.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

nonplayer wrote:
jmatt wrote:
It was a good scene.
My point wasn't that it bothered *me* that he seemed to get bitten by the dino, it's that *he* wasn't bothered by it. He didn't seem to be seriously injured beyond the initial bleeding, which seems like an unspoken clue that he must have something special about him.

I think you guys are onto something with those eggs.