Hillary Clinton in Faith #5

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.
Re: Hillary Clinton in Faith #5

Post by Phantom »

BugsySig wrote:It's a PR grab. Marvel waited for Obama to be elected, I believe. VEI is trying to beat everyone else to the starting line.

But VEI has already been political. Putin in Divinity II, and Dysart had Harada assassinate the President of Syria! What does it matter if Hillary is in a story? Is the bigger issue that they put her on the cover? Or just that people don't like her? Heaven forbid someone people don't like gets put in something they do! What if Trump cameo'd on Game of Thrones? Whatever would we do!?!?

Theres also no need to give Trump equal coverage. They're a privately owned media group. They can put whichever public figures they want in their work. Though I'd love to see him revealed as a 1-Percenter...right next to good ol Hills! :lol: They can wear elephant and donkey masks respectively.

Yep, I agree. If Hillary is elected, its a cool gamble that paid off. If its anyone else ~ :? does it matter.
= win win.
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

mateo107
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite

Post by mateo107 »

anytime people say they're not buying a book, it means they're totally buying that book. reserve your copy now.

Phantom
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

I'm not buying that book twice!
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

jmatt wrote:This is a dumb move for this reason: They will get some lovely media coverage and the book will get a nice boost in sales. The new readers will stick around for an issue or three and then disappear.

But some of the 6,500 or so dedicated Valiant readers will be put off and drop the title forever, especially if they were already on the fence about it to begin with. And while they're at it and feeling a bit sour, perhaps they'll drop a few other titles as well.

Wearing your politics on your sleeve is just dumb when it comes to comics. :twocents: :|
Agreed! That cover sure looks like an endorsement to me and the timing just before election day? :? To me, Faith is the essence of a do-gooder and to have her legacy tainted with Hillary Clinton is terrible.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

mkb28 wrote:
jmatt wrote:This is a dumb move for this reason: They will get some lovely media coverage and the book will get a nice boost in sales. The new readers will stick around for an issue or three and then disappear.

But some of the 6,500 or so dedicated Valiant readers will be put off and drop the title forever, especially if they were already on the fence about it to begin with. And while they're at it and feeling a bit sour, perhaps they'll drop a few other titles as well.

Wearing your politics on your sleeve is just dumb when it comes to comics. :twocents: :|
Agreed! That cover sure looks like an endorsement to me and the timing just before election day? :? To me, Faith is the essence of a do-gooder and to have her legacy tainted with Hillary Clinton is terrible.
You're right. She'd definitely vote for Harada-With-A-Bad-Combover. :lol:

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

greg wrote:
mkb28 wrote:

She wouldn't associate herself with Trump either. I bet if Trump is ever featured in a story, it will be in a negative way because that is what they do.

greg

Post by greg »

mkb28 wrote:
greg wrote:
mkb28 wrote:

She wouldn't associate herself with Trump either. I bet if Trump is ever featured in a story, it will be in a negative way because that is what they do.
:lol: What POSITIVE way could you feature Trump? He love himself, money, and bragging. He hates foreigners, unless they're models.

Let's give that guy a mini-series and a cape. :lol:

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

Wow. How disappointing.

I've bought every issue of every title put out by modern Valiant.

This will be the first that I don't buy.

:cry:
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

Let's be honest the election this year is ripe for pop culture taking the *SQUEE* out of it. It's one of those things that 20 years later people will use as a punch line and even with out context completely no the details. Like Bill Clinton and Monica Lewpinski. I'm not old enough to remember all the details but I sure know the important ones when people make that joke.

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

I have broken my cardinal rule of discussing politics with my friends, so I am not commenting any more. I stopped buying the Valiant monthly issues and I am only buying trades and HC's, so I wouldn't be buying this issue anyway.

MKB28 is out! :lol:

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

DirtbagSailor wrote:I think it would be perfect if HRC and Big D Trump were both 1%, met at a function and ended up making out with each other while "The Bern" watched from a dark corner while wearing a gimp mask.

A&A would be in the middle of a fight, and would briefly notice this before continuing with the fight.
HIRE THIS MAN!

Aport
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite writer: Bob Layton
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by Aport »

Well.... :hm: Valiant is located in New York, and both candidates are from New York, ...so is cool as a New York thing to have them both on Valiant covers..... Wait ....:hm: shes not a New Yorker, she's a carpet bagging female dog. Hatched in Illinois, bedded in Arkansas, exhibited in NY, protected in DC, and caged for the last four years.

Putin, then Hillary.... Yeah valiant moved in the same direction.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

greg wrote:You're right. She'd definitely vote for Harada-With-A-Bad-Combover. :lol:
Mmm, Hillary is the one who shrouds everything she does in secrecy and runs her own global slush fund "foundation" bent on wallowing in cash from corporations and other governments. She ran the State Department like a shadow government on a secret email server hidden in her home to avoid FOIA requests. Then erased 30,000 emails about her "yoga routine". :lol:

Oh yeah, toppling governments like Libya? "We came, we saw, he died!" Har har. That sounds like Harada, for sure. What governments has Trump ever toppled? She voted for the Iraq War, too. Ran against gay marriage in 2008. I don't think even Toyo would do that.

She's way more like Harada, imo.

The Clintons have taken in $220 MILLION dollars since she became a Senator. Not their foundation. Them, personally. What, exactly, did they do to earn that money? Speeches to Goldman Sachs? :? Those must be some great speeches, we'd all love to hear them. Oh yeah. Secrecy, she won't let anyone know. Never mind.

I have no particular love for Trump but we'd be nuts to turn the country over to this grifter.

Mixing politics and comics is dumb.

doodlebird
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Harbinger / A & A
Favorite writer: was Shooter
Favorite artist: Lapham, Starlin, Henry, and...

Post by doodlebird »

It's just a story. If Trump was in it, I'd still read it. Depending on the portrayal I may lose some respect for the character, but that how stories work, and life for that matter. I've really only had one president I felt was honest in my lifetime, and I did even agree with his born again Christian outlook, but respected most of views aside from that. Personally I think most of the politicians suck, but I'm not going bash or support the individual, just their ideas and past records at times. I do respect Bernie, but I'm not sure how successful he would have been as president, but I know a dozen people I'd be happier with other than any of the current front runners. Any way I digress, if this of kind of comic is a deal breaker for you, you may want consider that your perspective on things may be bit narrow. It not like they are doing a whole series on Hillary, or Trump, it's just a small interesting story. Personally all the fighting in many comics is a drag sometimes, it's all how well it's written and drawn. There are so many things to be fed up about that this doesn't even come up on my radar.
read me, HC/TPB me; sign me, sketch me, slab me.
S.SAHLE

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

I don't like Trump. I like Clinton even less, and personally think she should be under indictment right now.

I will buy this issue to support Valiant.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

ErikG
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: Magnus Robot Fighter #1
Favorite character: Love 'em all!
Favorite title: Currently: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Still Jim Shooter

Post by ErikG »

I do have a slight problem with Clinton appearing in Faith, but it has nothing to do with politics. Not being American, I can only view current US politics as a somewhat surreal and rather disappointing TV reality show. Support for Clinton would be natural for Faith -- after all, Faith is kinda naive and that's who she would back... As for VEI nailing their colors to the mast, well, that's their prerogative and their decision, although I agree with others on this board that it comes across as an obvious PR stunt to boost sales.

No -- my problem is this: Since the Shooter days, the great strength of Valiant was that events tended to move in real time, and, by and large, VEI seems to have kept up this tradition. But what we have now is that Faith, probably in her early twenties, is in a situation that can be dated to a particular year. Ten years from now, if VEI is hopefully still around, Faith will probably only be in her mid-twenties at most but Clinton (and Trump) will be long gone. That puts the lie to events taking place in real time. Similarly, inserting Clinton (or Putin, or any other politician or celebrity) into a world in which Harada and X-O exist and Mexico City doesn't makes a mess of the fantasy element in the VEI world. Comics have always done this and I think it's destructive to both storylines and continuity.

That said, it is possible that Faith's world is an alternate universe after all, and the Clinton we'll encounter there is not our reality's. No private server, no Libya, but only sweetness and light. What a wonderful fantasy that would be! So I'll buy the issue and I hope to enjoy it on that basis..

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

BugsySig wrote:What if Trump cameo'd on Game of Thrones? Whatever would we do!?!?
Expect what happens to most characters in that series that a sizeable group roots for to happen, then hope that life imitates art.

:twisted:
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!

X-O HoboJoe

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

Lady Oiorpata wrote:How can one tell the difference between whinning and complaint on a msg board?
If you disagree with what's said, it's whining. If you agree, it's logic.

Seriously, the conservative butt-hurt on here is at an all-time high. Gonna whinge about what the one you don't like's done but turn a blind eye to the one you do like's having done the same damn thing? You sound like a bunch of liberals. :twisted:

X-O HoboJoe

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

[Waits for slew of "I don't like 'X' but 'Y' is worse" responses]

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

X-O HoboJoe wrote:
Lady Oiorpata wrote:How can one tell the difference between whinning and complaint on a msg board?

Seriously, the conservative butt-hurt on here is at an all-time high. Gonna whinge about what the one you don't like's done but turn a blind eye to the one you do like's having done the same damn thing? You sound like a bunch of liberals. :twisted:
What would conservatives want from Valiant comics that seems like this blatantly partisan pandering at first sight?

X-O HoboJoe

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

Lady Oiorpata wrote:
X-O HoboJoe wrote:

What would conservatives want from Valiant comics that seems like this blatantly partisan pandering at first sight?
I'll take "Blatant pandering to conservatives that PO'd liberals as much as this does conservatives," for $200, Alex.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

The most offensive thing in this thread is Hobo's use of the "whinge" spelling of "whine".

Just move to England already, geez.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
nonplayer wrote:I feel sorry for you Americans. On one hand you got a peice of work = trump. And on the other hand Hillary. Both are garbage choices for president. And your only good choice sanders go the boot. California has the total Canadian population your telling me with all these humans and potential presidents hillary and trump are the best you got. That in its self is sad. Hillary is a set up because everyone likes firsts and the first woman in will be the first choice most will make. Because voting for trump is idiocy. what's the point in voting at all sounds like the presidency organisation is making the choice for you.
Good luck ya all!
I feel sorry for us Americans as well.

I've legitimately been researching moving to Canada.
Wow, dude - that's seriously desperate!!
Don't think I didn't see what you did there... Nobody is crazy enough to move to Canada. It's full of... Canadians...
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

greg

Post by greg »

lorddunlow wrote:The most offensive thing in this thread is Hobo's use of the "whinge" spelling of "whine".

Quit yer grousin' and cavilin'.

X-O HoboJoe

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

greg wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:The most offensive thing in this thread is Hobo's use of the "whinge" spelling of "whine".

Quit yer grousin' and cavilin'.
Ya'll don't like minges? Maybe that's the root of the Hilltred? :P