Rai #13: 4001 AD Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Rai #13: 4001 AD Discussion

Post by jmatt »

Some nice backstory for New Japan with good imagery. Father as some kind of Great Worm living in a forest pool? Cool!

We see the first Rai as an innocent, child like creation -- and the skeletons of the failed attempts at the bottom of the lake was pretty cool too.

We also see the first PTs and the rise of the Raddies. This harkens back to the Anti-Grannies in the original Rai, of course.

It read a little quick but overall I'm pleased to see the history of New Japan and the origins of many of the book elements.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that
Re: Rai #13: 4001 AD

Post by Elveen »

Father tried to make a Rai out of some sort of horned creature??? (The bottom of the sea panel)

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Re: Rai #13: 4001 AD

Post by Sven the Returned »

Elveen wrote:Father tried to make a Rai out of some sort of horned creature??? (The bottom of the sea panel)
It was in his hispter phase.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: Rai #13: 4001 AD Discussion

Post by greg »

LOVED this book. :clap:

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue (& XO Manowar Annual 2016, & Wrath of Eternal Warrior #7), please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr65/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

greg wrote:LOVED this book. :clap:
Me too. It was sad in a non-sad way.

It's the kind of writing I would love to discuss in a classroom type of setting.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Elveen wrote:

It's the kind of writing I would love to discuss in a classroom type of setting.
I could see that being a good discussion idea - there's some heavy commentary about human nature layered into this book. Loved the exploration of that idea that no matter how 'perfect' you try to make society for all humankind, there will always be some who don't want it.

Reminded me of how that same idea played out in The Matrix movies - even though humanity is oblivious to the fact they are all enslaved, the Matrix program itself failed when it was written as a perfect utopian society - people just rejected the idea out of hand.

I absolutely loved the gorgeous artwork this issue - CAFU is amazing as always, and the colours were beautifully rendered. Loved the snowy tech-forest scenes. Very inspiring to me!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Also, I can't help but wonder if the white-haired dude in purple was part of the Ninjak/Spylocke cult...

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

grendeljd wrote:
Elveen wrote:

I could see that being a good discussion idea - there's some heavy commentary about human nature layered into this book. Loved the exploration of that idea that no matter how 'perfect' you try to make society for all humankind, there will always be some who don't want it.

Reminded me of how that same idea played out in The Matrix movies - even though humanity is oblivious to the fact they are all enslaved, the Matrix program itself failed when it was written as a perfect utopian society - people just rejected the idea out of hand.

I absolutely loved the gorgeous artwork this issue - CAFU is amazing as always, and the colours were beautifully rendered. Loved the snowy tech-forest scenes. Very inspiring to me!
There is also something to be discussed with the fact that the people were so willing to do the "right" thing (getting back control) that they were willing to do the "wrong" thing (killing the Rai kid) but they realized they had to wait until he had his weapon to kill him, so it would not be the "wrong" thing. But when the time came the bloodlust took over. Then they had to hide their mistake.

There was a reason Father took over, right? There is evidence on the page.

Interesting

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

Elveen wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Elveen wrote:

There is also something to be discussed with the fact that the people were so willing to do the "right" thing (getting back control) that they were willing to do the "wrong" thing (killing the Rai kid) but they realized they had to wait until he had his weapon to kill him, so it would not be the "wrong" thing. But when the time came the bloodlust took over. Then they had to hide their mistake.

There was a reason Father took over, right? There is evidence on the page.

Interesting
Agreed. I like the discussion here, Father trying to create a 'perfect' society, creating Rai as a symbol for that society to rally around. Yet human nature being what it is, there's always going to be dissenters and their folly in killing Rai is what drives Father more extreme. (I love the caption where Father says 'This moment forever defined me')

CAFU's art is incredible. The full page shot of the newly born Rai in the snow by the lake should be released as a poster!

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

I thought the parallels between Father and Harada were striking- "Take care of the people at any cost and if I don't exist who will take care of the people? I must continue to exist to save the people even if I have to kill the people to do it." That's what led me to the evolved med-bot theory.

Dallow Spicer1
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Really enjoyed this book and love the whole 4001ad event that this plays a part in. Interesting how the first Rai came about and to learn of his sad fate.

Special mention of Cafu's art, I think I prefer it to Crane's just because every panel is clear and you don't have to spend minutes looking to figure out what's happening. I do like Crane's art but there is sometime a lack of clarity.

Looking forward to the next issue 4.25/5 :clap:

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

hawkeyeps wrote:I thought the parallels between Father and Harada were striking- "Take care of the people at any cost and if I don't exist who will take care of the people? I must continue to exist to save the people even if I have to kill the people to do it." That's what led me to the evolved med-bot theory.
A sharp observation, gunslinger :thumb:

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Elveen wrote:
Me 3... Yea, it kind of was.. Poor little Rai..
String wrote:CAFU's art is incredible.
+1
#StayValiant

QUARTZ
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by QUARTZ »

Awesome art, poor baby Rai...reminded me a little of that AI movie. I dug it. Really made me pumped for issue 2....Father's revenge...;)

krylox
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by krylox »

loved it. heartbreaking. so much better than descender, right? ;) definitely in my top10-since-the-relaunch. here's my video-review, if you're interested.

Tony_H
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Dr. Mirage
Favorite writer: Van Meter
Favorite artist: Braithwaite & Baron

Post by Tony_H »

Did anybody else think that Raijin looked like Bloodsquirt?

Friggin' depressing ending. The tone of the story reminded me of the first Rai arc from V1. I can't put a finger on why it did, though.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Tony_H wrote:Did anybody else think that Raijin looked like Bloodsquirt?
I did. I thought he was gonna call somebody "Bloody buddy." :lol: