Marvel Cosmic

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

omega_override
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2014
Marvel Cosmic

Post by omega_override »

So after reading some of Quasar, Mar-Vell, and Silver Surfer, I've kind of gotten bitten by the Marvel Cosmic bug and with interest in this particular area of the Marvel Universe growing thanks in part to the Guardians Of The Galaxy film, I figured it might be ripe for discussion

What I like so much about it is that space is almost realized in Carl Sagan level terms and I would not be surprised if his work was the basis of it. It's also kind of terrifying how ancient Galactus is in comparison to the Elders Of The Universe and the rest of the cosmos with the only reassuring thing about him being that he's a completely neutral figure

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Re: Marvel Cosmic

Post by IMJ »

I always liked Gruenwald's take on things - you could always sense his own sort of religious beliefs in his writing when it came to the Universal abstracts and use of Infinity. Jim Starlin is similar, but his anchor is more about expressing his own personal psychology and (most likely) acid trips in his writing. Starlin's cosmic Marvel is actually mostly a decades-old running Thanos story that began with Iron Man vol. 1, Captain Marvel vol. 1, Silver Surfer vol. 2, and so on. If you can get past a lot of the 70's tropes, a Captain Marvel run is nice to put together and has some cool stuff throughout.

The Strange Tales Warlock stuff is great, with a lot of neat first appearances throughout. Warlock & The Infinity Watch is less about space, and more about weird locations, but it's a tough run to build in completion and is important when considering the continuity from the Infinity Gauntlet. Interestingly enough, I never really liked Guardians of the Galaxy, although I think I need maybe one issue to complete my 90's run.

omega_override
Valiant fan since: 2014

Post by omega_override »

IMJ wrote:Interestingly enough, I never really liked Guardians of the Galaxy, although I think I need maybe one issue to complete my 90's run.
The only Marvel Cosmic title that I've never particularly cared for was Nova, probably because I was expecting something from the book that just wasn't there, namely Marvel's answer to Green Lantern (which Quasar is more akin to)

What's funny is the current DC You Green Lantern is a lot like Nova or at least it reminds me of it

IMJ
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

I've got a Nova vol. 1 run, but the one that was truly a cosmic book was the Annihilation era Nova ongoing that came out after the first Annihilation series. That was a pretty solid book for a while, I thought.

If I ever sell off my entire collection, most likely the only books that I'd keep would be my Iron Man, Green Lantern and Marvel Cosmics.

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

IMJ wrote:I've got a Nova vol. 1 run, but the one that was truly a cosmic book was the Annihilation era Nova ongoing that came out after the first Annihilation series. That was a pretty solid book for a while, I thought.

If I ever sell off my entire collection, most likely the only books that I'd keep would be my Iron Man, Green Lantern and Marvel Cosmics.
That last run of Nova before we got chibi'd is amazing. May Richard Rider the real Nova someday make it back.