Re-Reading: Magnus Robot Fighter #3

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

How would you rate this book?

40%
60%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 5

xoken
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Re-Reading: Magnus Robot Fighter #3

Post by xoken »

I thought we could do a book a day (that way people can read one every day or catch up on weekends), talk about it on its own, in the context of whats next, in regards to what expectations it creates and vote on how good it is. I don't have to be the one that posts everyday. If I miss a day or if someone wants to take over please do

For voting think of your single favourite comic book (not just VALIANT) as the benchmark - thats a 10 - and grade according to that.

Make sure to mention what you like'd about the book, what you didn't, what you wish they would have done, your favourite panels, lines of dialogue, little bits of trivia etc.

Magnus Robot Fighter #3

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: Re-Reading: Magnus Robot Fighter #3

Post by magnusr »

This issue is mainly built around the people of North Am. The transition from the old Magnus series is obvious here. The shiny happy people of Gold Key's future worls, here are faced with a new reality they clearly are not fit for.

As for Magnus, what we see of him is mainly about his relationship with W23, which I enjoy. The very first piece of art I bought is from this issue, and shows them two discussing. Near the end he does fight thousands of free-wills, contradicting the title of the story, and this only takes a few panels. This is not about showing action, this is about understanding how people and heroes think (and how free-wills think, which is basically the same).

Then the story ends with a completely new development.

/Magnus

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

great dialogue and "action" between the characters...plot development and thoughtfulness...what great concepts for comic books... :thumb:
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

myron wrote:great dialogue and "action" between the characters...plot development and thoughtfulness...what great concepts for comic books... :thumb:
Yep. :thumb: 9

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Another great read, I wish stories like this would have continued for a lot longer.

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

Everything that was true about the other issues is true here. This story is still an incredible exploration of war, intolerance, and leadership. I'm not sure which is more disturbing, the bigotry of the robs which is driven by indignation or the bigotry of the humans which seems to be driven by indifference. Like I said , it's as relevant today as it was in the early 90's.

And North Am comes very, very close to falling permantly. The final battle of the war is very well built up and, afterwards, if you don't think Magnus is the biggest bad a$$ in comics, I don't know what's wrong with you.

Just amazing stuff with a great surprise ending that turns the conflict around 180 degrees. Brillant.

A 10. :thumb:

Inside Joke of the issue: Tekla learns the word "tweezing" from Elzy. "Tweezing" was a term they used in the office that meant "making minor adjustments/changes." I believe Janet Jackson coined the phrase (their was one Shooter editorial that had her pictured as "Tweezerhands" :D )

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: Re-Reading: Magnus Robot Fighter #3

Post by magnusr »

Seaborn's synopsis:
As the milespires of North Am burn, security forces fight to defend Central-rob from a rogue freewill attack. It seems that, rather than risk the humans discovering how to spot freewill microtremors, 0-1X has launched a preemptive strike against North Am. In the middle of all this strife, security forces seek to arrest Magnus for allowing 0-1X to escape when he was in his grasp.
When Magnus is attacked by a security patrol, he is aided by freewill, W23. But W23 is cosmetically damaged in the process. W23 and Magnus hide and realize that they may be the only chance to stop the war between man and robot. W23 will attempt to reason with 0-1X while Magnus will try to talk sense to North Am’s high council. But days without sleep have taken their toll, and Magnus must now rest.
At the council chambers, President Claiburne, Senator Clane, and the others realize that it is only a matter of time before Central-rob falls. Without Central-rob guiding North Am’s worker-robs, the milespires will become non-functional death-traps. Claiburne decides to high-tail it to the Moon before all is lost. But as he leaves, a squad of freewills arrives and assasinates the deserting president. Timbuc, Dr Giardino, and a security squad arrive soon after and destroy the attackers. Dr Giardino has caught on to the freewill microtremors and she has developed eye-gear to discern them from normal robots.
In the Goph levs, Magnus awakens from his rest. W23 inquires why humans cannot simply accept the freewills. Magnus muses that perhaps it’s because robots don’t look human. Suddenly, W23 picks up a subetherial summon to all available freewills to join the assault on Central-rob. W23 will not go and add to the carnage, but Magnus must. As he proceeds toward the elevators out of the Goph levs, Magnus is attacked by Elzy. But once she realizes who he is, she lets him go.
When Magnus arrives at Central-rob, he finds that all normal robots have also been summoned there to help fight the freewills. The resultant battle is vast in scope, with Magnus in the thick of it. At last, the battle ends and Magnus drops unconcious. Magnus reawakens in the hospital. Leeja is there, still worried that there is another woman, when what she senses are Magnus’ thoughts about W23. But Magnus has at last decided to forsake the soft milespire society he’s always defended. He heads for the goph levs to live as a Goph. As he departs, Leeja is consoled by Timbuc, who also receives Magnus’ medical scans showing the subetherial implant.
Meanwhile, at a North Am wildlife preserve, 0-1X and W23 unearth the body of T-1. Dubbed the “Think-rob”, T-1 was powerful enough to override Central-rob commands. Using components from T-l’s body, 0-1X hopes to improve his own mind. But, should the repair unit mistakenly transform 0-1X back to a normal robot, W23 is instructed to destroy the freewill leader. Later, Elzy arrives at the preserve with spare parts to sell to the freewills. She finds that W23 had to shoot 0-1X when the repair procedure went wrong. W23 cannot return to North Am with its current damaged appearance and illegal status. So Elzy creates a new look for W23 and sends the new-look freewill on its way. Elzy then attempts to salvage 0-1X’s inert body. But 0-1X reawakens and knocks out Elzy.
Elsewhere on the Goph levs, Magnus goes to rendezvous with W23 at their secret hiding place. He finds that W23 now has a silvery, humanoid outer shell that looks remarkably like Leeja. No longer W23, she now wishes to be called Tekla, after Elzy’s mother. But then, a subetherial message comes from Central-rob. 0-1X has taken over the Mainbrain by the power of T-1’s circuits. And, with all of North Am’s robots now at his command, 0-1X intends to begin the slaughter of humanity.

/Magnus