Re-Reading: Magnus Robot Fighter #1

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

How would you rate this book?

67%
33%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 6

xoken
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Re-Reading: Magnus Robot Fighter #1

Post by xoken »

I thought we could do a book a day (that way people can read one every day or catch up on weekends), talk about it on its own, in the context of whats next, in regards to what expectations it creates and vote on how good it is. I don't have to be the one that posts everyday. If I miss a day or if someone wants to take over please do

For voting think of your single favourite comic book (not just VALIANT) as the benchmark - thats a 10 - and grade according to that.

Make sure to mention what you like'd about the book, what you didn't, what you wish they would have done, your favourite panels, lines of dialogue, little bits of trivia etc.

Magnus Robot Fighter #1

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: Re-Reading: Magnus Robot Fighter #1

Post by magnusr »

Though issue 0 was the prequel to Steel Nation, this was the first VALIANT universe comic published. And we're thrown right into the story. Of course it has to start with a major retelling of Magnus' world, but that is well done and does not at all feel like slowing down the story. We also immediately get to see both W-23's perspective and the fact that Magnus is already considering that perspective. This comes together in a major way later on. But for now he remains the Robot Fighter (which we get to see) and he also influences Senator Clane (who Valiant named Zeramiah, not knowing he was called Victor in unpublished Gold Key stories).

There is enough action, lots of charactarisation and the beginning of good developments. The art is good and the color art is very alive.

/Magnus

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33

great stuff...doesn't get much better than the next 8 issues IMHO
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

This is the issue that made me sit up and notice Valiant. I really liked the character from the Gold Key days, but Jim Shooter made something good even better. This is Valiant at it's best.

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

"The whole story...?"

Never did a comic Universe begin with a more appropriate line.

Magnus 1 is about as close as a comic can come to perfect.

I remember picking up this issue when it came out. I had only been collecting comics for a couple years and mainly bought DC superhero stuff.

When I got Magnus 1, I was blown away. The art and story were so much better than anything I'ld picked up before. There are still very few comics that compare to the beauty of the art and absolute power of this story.

Everything I said about 0 is present here. Top notch art with a story that really draws you into an incredible world.

What really blew me away back in the day was that this first comic I had gotten that dealt with violence in a realistic way and had the hero ask real moral questions. Having Magnus question wether the robots were alive blew me away. The fact that the "good guys" were the ones calling for war and geonicide amazed me. All of it framed in such an epic story, Magnus is up against 9 million rogue robs! So THIS is what comics can do!

Just absolutely amazing. The final panel is still one of my all-time favorite single panels in Valiant history. Beautiful, yet full of powerful emotion. Just like the rest of the issue.

A 10

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

Todd Luck wrote:"The whole story...?"

Never did a comic Universe begin with a more appropriate line.

Magnus 1 is about as close as a comic can come to perfect.

I remember picking up this issue when it came out. I had only been collecting comics for a couple years and mainly bought DC superhero stuff.

When I got Magnus 1, I was blown away. The art and story were so much better than anything I'ld picked up before. There are still very few comics that compare to the beauty of the art and absolute power of this story.

Everything I said about 0 is present here. Top notch art with a story that really draws you into an incredible world.

What really blew me away back in the day was that this first comic I had gotten that dealt with violence in a realistic way and had the hero ask real moral questions. Having Magnus question wether the robots were alive blew me away. The fact that the "good guys" were the ones calling for war and geonicide amazed me. All of it framed in such an epic story, Magnus is up against 9 million rogue robs! So THIS is what comics can do!

Just absolutely amazing. The final panel is still one of my all-time favorite single panels in Valiant history. Beautiful, yet full of powerful emotion. Just like the rest of the issue.

A 10
Let me put my POV this way - if the new VALIANT starts out like the old one did, they can't fail. This issue was truly a classic, a gem, a masterpiece even.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

slym2none wrote:Let me put my POV this way - if the new VALIANT starts out like the old one did, they can't fail.
Yes they can.....But that's another tread.

Shooter hit a homerun with this issue. Think DC and Marvel were *SQUEE* bricks after they read this issue?

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

jedimarley wrote:
slym2none wrote:Let me put my POV this way - if the new VALIANT starts out like the old one did, they can't fail.
Yes they can.....But that's another tread.

Shooter hit a homerun with this issue. Think DC and Marvel were *SKREE* bricks after they read this issue?
When they heard all the buzz, I'm sure they were.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Seaborn's synopsis:
Within the undersea base near the Antarctic, 1-A recounts to Magnus the tale of how he first achieved freewill status while serving aboard the cruiser Ottawa. When he saw another freewill killing the captain, 1-A began to fear the threat that rogue freewills might pose to North Am’s human population. So he set up his undersea base and planned for centuries how to protect the humans from any new freewills. To that end, 1-A raised the foundling named Magnus and, through the Perfect Method of martial training, enabled him to fight armored robots. 1-A then implanted Magnus with a device to monitor robotic subetherial transmissions. He then introduced the Robot Fighter to the society of North Am, where Magnus has thwarted threats like the rogue, T-1, ever since.
But lately Magnus has wondered if freewills should be destroyed, or if they might have a right to life. 1-A assures him that freewills are not alive. Suddenly, a message is broadcast over North Am’s subetherial wavelengths. The message is from rogue freewill leader, O-1X. He seeks to unite the freewills, most of whom are unaware of the existence of other freewills. Knowing that this broadcast will start trouble, Magnus returns to North Am.
At a North Am restaurant, waiter-rob W23 hears the message and then meets another freewill who promises to take W23 to the freewill secret council.
Upon rejoining Leeja in North Am, Magnus is nearly run down by a gardener-rob driven hover-truck. The gardener-rob is as desperate to live as he is to kill Magnus. But it is all for naught as Magnus dispatches the rogue.
In the following days, the high council of North Am debate over their response to the freewill problem. President Claiburne wishes to negotiate with the freewills, while Senator Clane agrees with Magnus that the freewills must be crushed. While the controversy rages, Magnus and Leeja go to the Goph Levs to hunt 0-1X.
One afternoon, Senator Clane returns to his office to find 0-1X waiting inside. 0-1X tries to reason with Clane to negotiate with the freewills. But Clane’s bodyguardrobs arrive and 0-1X narrowly escapes, swearing vengeance for any more freewill deaths.
Later, W23 and its freewill friend rush to attend the freewill council’s secret meeting. Unknown to them, Magnus and Leeja have discovered the location of the meeting place and signalled for Timbuc to wait with reinforcements for the signal to attack. From their hidden vantage point, the two humans listen as 0-1X begins the meeting with the customary telling of the story of T-1. The others listen with reverent awe until Magnus interrupts the telling. Magnus jumps onto the platform with O-1X, refuting the notion that T-1 was anything other than a killing-machine. While the freewills are fearful of Magnus, 0-1X realizes that the Robot Fighter is trying to decide whether to start war with the freewills or prevent it. Just as it seems as though meaningful dialogue might be possible between the rogues and the Robot Fighter, Timbuc and his Riot-robs burst in through the wall. All hope of peace is lost in the ensuing battle. Feeling betrayed, the robots rush Magnus even as he tries to get Timbuc to call off the attack. In the midst of the battle, one of the rogues finds Leeja and hurts her severely. 0-1X and many of the freewills manage to escape, but many are also slagged. In the aftermath, Magnus angrilly demands why Timbuc didn’t wait for Magnus’ attack order. But Tirnbuc is too pleased with the carrnage he has wrought to really pay attention. And so, with Leeja taken to the hospital with no guarantee that she’ll live, Magnus anticipates troubled days ahead.

/Magnus

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

What I loved about the early VALIANTS was all of the things already listed, great story, great realistic art, the true life feel (morality of the hero and the "bad guys") but I would also like to add...

1) The first few VALIANTS "felt" different, the actual textual experience of holding Mag #1 felt different, it was heavier, the pages felt different, the cover looked different, but also flet different. (same for the early Solars)

2) These books took a long time to read. Most comic books that I had seen only take a few momnets to read. Even the later VALIANTS only take a few moments to read, but not these early VALIANTS, it was a "read".

My .02

Christian

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Also, this (I beleive) was the first "major" early VALIANT book I got. It was pretty expensive for me a the time (I think I got in right before untiy, but I am at present not quite sure)

So Magnus Robot Fighter #1 was my first book I thought was special. (to me at least :D )

Rating: perfect 10!

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Elveen wrote: So Magnus Robot Fighter #1 was my first book I thought was special. (to me at least :D )
Trust me, there are a whole bunch of us who feel the same way.

Unblessed
I must be flogged.
I must be flogged.

Post by Unblessed »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
Elveen wrote: So Magnus Robot Fighter #1 was my first book I thought was special. (to me at least :D )
Trust me, there are a whole bunch of us who feel the same way.
yup!

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

yupity yup, McYuppitty!