newsstand editions of Valiant comics

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating
newsstand editions of Valiant comics

Post by Brother J »

I finally took the time to do a little searching through my Valiants to see if I had any other newsstand editions. I did find a Solar #60 (last issue) that was a newsstand copy. With this book and the Bloodshot #35 I found before, I now have a whopping two newsstand books! It looks like these newsstand copies are going to be a lot harder to find.

I'm guessing the Visitor vs. the Valiant Universe newsstand editions were almost used as a test run of how Valiant books would do on the newsstand. I'm also assuming that Valiant went to distributing their comics via the newsstand full-time with their books cover dated April 1995, which were the first books to carry the UPC code on the cover. There are some books that went out on or after that date that do not have UPC codes (the Gold Key reprints and some later Yearbooks) so I'm guessing those books don't have newsstand versions.

Using that information, you could come up with a checklist of which books might be found with a newsstand edition. Here goes my attempt:

Visitor vs. Valiant Universe #1, 2 (different cover price)

Armorines #11, 12
Bloodshot #26-51, Last Stand
Destroyer #0 (different cover price)
Eternal Warrior #32-50, Wings Special, Fist and Steel #1, 2
Geomancer #6-8
HARD Corps #28-30
Harbinger #39-41
Magnus #46-64
Ninjak #0, 00, 14-26
Outcast Special #1
Psi Lords #8-10
Punx #1-3, Manga Special
Rai #31-33
Second Life Dr. Mirage #17, 18
Secret Weapons #19-21
Shadowman #35-43
Solar #43-60
Timewalker #0, 5-15
Turok #0, 22-47, the Hunted #1, 2
Visitor #1-13

I will agree that there is just a slight difference between the two versions, the newsstand versions are printed on a less glossy paper but I didn't notice any other differences.

mrwoogieman
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.

Post by mrwoogieman »

Picked out some newsstand issues from a collection that I had, didn't know they were in there. Not really collecting these specifically, but I've starting saving them when I run into them. These aren't price variants, just says 'newsstand sales' in the upc instead of 'direct sales'. The new ones:

Bloodshot 37 40 42 43 46 47
X-O 60

I also previously acquired

Magnus 63 64
Solar 59 60
Ninjak 00

Plus the price variant Vis v Val U 1 and 2
:hm: