Bloodshot Unleashed Reloaded #1

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Bloodshot Unleashed Reloaded #1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Why did I buy this?? I already bought Deniz Camps previous Bloodshot mini which was essentially a ‘baddie of the month’ mindless violence drudge.

But as always a few months go by and Valiant launch a new series so I get all optimistic and order a copy …of Deniz Camp on Bloodshot. What do I get…a baddie of the month mindless violence drudge facepalm

This time, there’s the added tedium of Bloodsquirt breaking the 4th wall as if things weren’t bad enough.

I feel bad for the artist Al Barrioneuvo whose excellent work deserved a better script.

I’m implementing a new zero tolerance policy, if the first issue is bad I’m no longer sticking with a series.

2/5 - If you like great art, excellent paper stock and an incoherent story then this is the book for you!

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Re: Bloodshot Unleashed Reloaded #1

Post by Ryan »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:25:32 am Why did I buy this?? I already bought Deniz Camps previous Bloodshot mini which was essentially a ‘baddie of the month’ mindless violence drudge.

But as always a few months go by and Valiant launch a new series so I get all optimistic and order a copy …of Deniz Camp on Bloodshot. What do I get…a baddie of the month mindless violence drudge facepalm

This time, there’s the added tedium of Bloodsquirt breaking the 4th wall as if things weren’t bad enough.

I feel bad for the artist Al Barrioneuvo whose excellent work deserved a better script.

I’m implementing a new zero tolerance policy, if the first issue is bad I’m no longer sticking with a series.

2/5 - If you like great art, excellent paper stock and an incoherent story then this is the book for you!
Thanks for the review, you seem to be one of the few on here reading these and giving your opinion.

MartinAlien
Working for the Aliens
Working for the Aliens
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong

Post by MartinAlien »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:25:32 am Why did I buy this?? I already bought Deniz Camps previous Bloodshot mini which was essentially a ‘baddie of the month’ mindless violence drudge.

You should give issue #2 a try since there's a new writer with a new take on the story.
Working for the Aliens

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

MartinAlien wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:15:55 pm

You should give issue #2 a try since there's a new writer with a new take on the story.
So they let Deniz Camp write issue #1 then they switched writers??? :o

Have you read issue 2?

MartinAlien
Working for the Aliens
Working for the Aliens

Post by MartinAlien »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:28:37 pm

Have you read issue 2?
Actually, Deniz had written issues #1 and 2 a long time ago, when they were supposed to be issues #5 and 6 of Bloodshot Unleashed. His commitments didn't let him continue the series so Mauro Mantella (the new writer) came on board. He wrote a new issue #2 since he needed to take the story into a new direction.

I read up until issue #3 ;)

Trust me, you should at least try Mantella's writing before dropping the title.
Working for the Aliens

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

MartinAlien wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:19:49 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:28:37 pm

Have you read issue 2?
Actually, Deniz had written issues #1 and 2 a long time ago, when they were supposed to be issues #5 and 6 of Bloodshot Unleashed. His commitments didn't let him continue the series so Mauro Mantella (the new writer) came on board. He wrote a new issue #2 since he needed to take the story into a new direction.

I read up until issue #3 ;)

Trust me, you should at least try Mantella's writing before dropping the title.
I’m gonna need to see some reviews on the board from trusted sources before I buy another Bloodshot book. Since Lemire’s excellent run it’s been car crash after car crash…and not in a good way.

In typical Valiant fashion, the abysmal DMG Bloodshot series coincided with the Bloodshot movie, so any potential new readers will have ran for the hills.

I’ve never heard of Mantella so I’m gonna need to know he’s more that just a ‘what creative ways can Bloodshot be damaged/how ridiculously big can guns get’.

Duane Swierczynski back on the book would be appealing.

MartinAlien
Working for the Aliens
Working for the Aliens

Post by MartinAlien »

Well, give Mantella a chance before asking for a replacement.

https://youtu.be/Zc9Dms2M3Dc
Working for the Aliens

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

MartinAlien wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:06:43 pm Well, give Mantella a chance before asking for a replacement.

https://youtu.be/Zc9Dms2M3Dc
Ok I’m persuaded to try issue #2, mainly because the reviewer recognised how bad issue #1 under Campz which tells me he’s legit.

I thought he was way too harsh on the art as it looked good to me. :thumb:

aj583
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior V1 Version
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by aj583 »

Unloaded was one of the few relaunch titles I didn’t pre-order due to the handling of the character in the past, but will definitely pick up issue #2. Thanks for that review video Martin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Didn’t read this right away because of some of the early reviews I read here, but with the “Resurgence” announcement I figured I’d catch up. Issue 1 was decent. Obviously a continuation of the previous run, but I liked the twist and the inclusion of Bloodsquirt. Issue 2 was rather good, I thought, and made me want to keep reading further.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t