Bloodshot Unleashed Reloaded, an ‘apology’ for the DMG era?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Bloodshot Unleashed Reloaded, an ‘apology’ for the DMG era?

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Just read Bloodshot Unleashed Reloaded #1 and I’ll put a review in the Review sections (spoiler alert it’s a waste of money).

In the book there’s a cringe return of Bloodsquirt who regularly pops up in an annoying ‘breaking the 4th wall’ type way. This includes an ‘hilarious’ nod and a wink presumably to the editor Lysa Hawkins, ‘the women behind the desk’ in an in joke kind of way (the person who keeps green lighting below par books).

Anyway, within in this ‘story’ (using the term loosely), Bloodsquirt says to Bloodshot about “not calling it a Reboot but call it a Rebirth”. Over the next page he continues to Bloodshot “I get it, you wanted to try something different. It’s only natural. After a while, things start to get stale. Sometimes you need to change to understand how good you had it.”

“So you struck out on this misguided crusade to save these cheap rip offs…these broken, off brand action figures and look where it got you.”

In terms of the actual story this seemed to make zero sense, as a commentary to the past few years of dire Bloodshot series under DMG, it makes sense.

However, ironically the Deniz Camp Bloodhot Unleashed mini series and this one haven’t been much better than the DMG ones so people in glass houses …. :?

Whilst I don’t recommend buying this, if you already have and you’ve read it then am I imagining this reference to DMG?
Last edited by Dallow Spicer1 on Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:59:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

syzhang28
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Re: Bloodshot Unleashed Reloaded, an ‘apology’ for the DMG era?

Post by syzhang28 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:15:46 am Just read Bloodshot Unleashed Reloaded #1 and I’ll put a review in the Review sections (spoiler alert it’s a waste of money).

In the book there’s a cringe return of Bloodsquirt who regularly pops up in an annoying ‘breaking the 4th wall’ type way. This includes an ‘hilarious’ nod and a wink presumably to the editor Lysa Hawkins, ‘the women behind the desk’ in an in joke kind of way (and who keeps green lighting below par books).

Anyway, within in this ‘story’ (using the term loosely), Bloodsquirt says to Bloodshot about “not calling it a Reboot but call it a Rebirth”. Over the next page he continues to Bloodshot “I get it, you wanted to try something different. It’s only natural. After a while, things start to get stale. Sometimes you need to change to understand how good you had it.”

“So you struck out on this misguided crusade to save these cheap rip offs…these broken, off brand action figures and look where it got you.”

In terms of the actual story this seemed to make zero sense, as a commentary to the past few years of dire Blooddhot series under DMG, it makes sense.

However, ironically the Deniz Camp Bloodhot Unleashed mini series and this one haven’t been much better than the DMG ones so people in glass houses …. :?

Whilst I don’t recommend buying this, if you already have and you’ve read it then am I imagining this reference to DMG?
I read it and cringed too. Its unnecessary. And the call out to Hawkins is rude to the reader. If you've got a hit book, fine. But if you've been putting out *SQUEE* for years then GTFO of the book. Make a good story DMG/Alien, then worry about being cute.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Re: Bloodshot Unleashed Reloaded, an ‘apology’ for the DMG era?

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

syzhang28 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:38:42 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:15:46 am Just read Bloodshot Unleashed Reloaded #1 and I’ll put a review in the Review sections (spoiler alert it’s a waste of money).

In the book there’s a cringe return of Bloodsquirt who regularly pops up in an annoying ‘breaking the 4th wall’ type way. This includes an ‘hilarious’ nod and a wink presumably to the editor Lysa Hawkins, ‘the women behind the desk’ in an in joke kind of way (and who keeps green lighting below par books).

In terms of the actual story this seemed to make zero sense, as a commentary to the past few years of dire Blooddhot series under DMG, it makes sense.

I read it and cringed too. Its unnecessary. And the call out to Hawkins is rude to the reader. If you've got a hit book, fine. But if you've been putting out *SQUEE* for years then GTFO of the book. Make a good story DMG/Alien, then worry about being cute.
Glad it wasn’t just me :high-five: