Christopher Priest Remembers M. D. "Doc" Bright

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Doc later became my co-creator for the Acclaim Comics series Quantum & Woody (1996), characters largely inspired by our actual relationship and whose pet goat, initially a castoff single-issue gag, swelled to eclipse the titular characters in their own book. The goat got his own 1-shot comic, his own fan mail, and an officially licensed collectible "inaction" figure.

Taken from my writer's commentary for Quantum & Woody:

"Jim, that's just stupid."

That was us, that was our dynamic: "Hey, Doc, I've got this great idea…" "Jim, that's just stupid."

In most every way that mattered, we literally were Quantum & Woody. I've been asked, many times, which of us is which. The truth is, I think both Eric (Quantum) and Woody are based on Doc, on his perpetual seesaw between stoicism and sarcasm. Doc may be the funniest guy I know, well educated, well-informed, and well deserving of his own late-night talk show. He can and often does mock virtually everything, has an opinion about literally everything, and has amazing creative skill in a number of disciplines. When I met him, back in the 80's, he was a cover artist for places like Dell and Pocket Books, creating acrylic visions of outer space, starships and monsters.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: Christopher Priest Remembers M. D. "Doc" Bright

Post by nycjadie »

Love

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Re: Christopher Priest Remembers M. D. "Doc" Bright

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:35:10 pm Christopher Priest Remembers M. D. "Doc" Bright
Doc later became my co-creator for the Acclaim Comics series Quantum & Woody (1996), characters largely inspired by our actual relationship and whose pet goat, initially a castoff single-issue gag, swelled to eclipse the titular characters in their own book. The goat got his own 1-shot comic, his own fan mail, and an officially licensed collectible "inaction" figure.

Taken from my writer's commentary for Quantum & Woody:

"Jim, that's just stupid."

That was us, that was our dynamic: "Hey, Doc, I've got this great idea…" "Jim, that's just stupid."

In most every way that mattered, we literally were Quantum & Woody. I've been asked, many times, which of us is which. The truth is, I think both Eric (Quantum) and Woody are based on Doc, on his perpetual seesaw between stoicism and sarcasm. Doc may be the funniest guy I know, well educated, well-informed, and well deserving of his own late-night talk show. He can and often does mock virtually everything, has an opinion about literally everything, and has amazing creative skill in a number of disciplines. When I met him, back in the 80's, he was a cover artist for places like Dell and Pocket Books, creating acrylic visions of outer space, starships and monsters.
So cool, thanks for sharing. That's interesting that Priest based both Quantum and Woody on MD's different personalities. He was a Renaissance man and an amazing talent.

I also highly recommend the Michelinie-MD Bright-Layton Iron Man issues from the mid to late 80's. A high water mark for action-adventure comics and a precursor to Valiant and the Iron Man movies in many ways.

RIP M.D. Bright