Resurgence of the VALIANT Universe

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

syzhang28
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Re: Resurgence of the VALIANT Universe

Post by syzhang28 »

TheFerg714 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:42:25 pm
syzhang28 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:58:30 am Harbinger Wars 2 was a big disappointment but we know we only got a version of the story was supposed to be right?
Of course, but why does that matter? We're talking about the overall perception of the final product.
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:08:25 pm
I’m pretty sure they did ‘boycott’ DMG after they way they treated Dinesh. Yes Dysart still released his final Harbinger story but I think that was already in progress.

Let’s be real about Bad Idea, I’ve bought most of the books but a lot of it has been average. 90% definitely not worth the deluxe paper, covers etc I hope they are a big success and I’ll still buy (some of) the books but they haven’t blown me away.
Oof we seem to be in disagreement lately lol. As much as Bad Idea annoys the *SQUEE* out of me with their Kickstarter *SQUEE*, like 90% of their output is straight fire. Almost all of it is extremely memorable and entertaining. That's why it's so *SQUEE* frustrating that they stopped putting their product in stores.

The only lackluster stories for me were Slay Bells and The Lot.
Agree on Slay Bells. Also hate to say it but agree on the lot. Loved the premise. Thought it had fantastic potential. Still no one is perfect and I will happily take a couple of misses for how many they get right and how much they go out on a limb with their stories.

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

syzhang28 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:58:30 am Harbinger Wars 2 was a big disappointment but we know we only got a version of the story was supposed to be right?
Of course, but why does that matter? We're talking about the overall perception of the final product.
I’m pretty sure they did ‘boycott’ DMG after they way they treated Dinesh. Yes Dysart still released his final Harbinger story but I think that was already in progress.

Let’s be real about Bad Idea, I’ve bought most of the books but a lot of it has been average. 90% definitely not worth the deluxe paper, covers etc I hope they are a big success and I’ll still buy (some of) the books but they haven’t blown me away.
Oof we seem to be in disagreement lately lol. As much as Bad Idea annoys the *SQUEE* out of me with their Kickstarter *SQUEE*, like 90% of their output is straight fire. Almost all of it is extremely memorable and entertaining. That's why it's so *SQUEE* frustrating that they stopped putting their product in stores.

Have they stopped putting books in stores all together? Did they announce that?

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:01:58 pm

Have they stopped putting books in stores all together? Did they announce that?
No, they had some a few months ago, on panels they've said that they've been waiting out the poor market conditions. Might have been smart when you look at how other indies have suffered and books have come out to no fanfare. IDW just lost a key person for instance over this.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:01:58 pm Have they stopped putting books in stores all together? Did they announce that?
Supposedly we'll see comics in stores again at some point, but 'Bad Idea 2 Pt. 1' ended in March 2023.

They did release Inebrio Horsefeathers (one-shot) last November and Destroyer (another one-shot) in December, which were both great, but they just seem to be a lot more interested in over-charging on Kickstarter at the moment.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

TheFerg714 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:08:57 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:01:58 pm Have they stopped putting books in stores all together? Did they announce that?
Supposedly we'll see comics in stores again at some point, but 'Bad Idea 2 Pt. 1' ended in March 2023.

They did release Inebrio Horsefeathers (one-shot) last November and Destroyer (another one-shot) in December, which were both great, but they just seem to be a lot more interested in over-charging on Kickstarter at the moment.
They weren’t great :lol: the horsefeather one was sub par and the Destroyer was fine but (as with most of the books) should’ve been cheaper. They don’t need prestige format, they are literally not worthy!

I wish I could read books through yours and syzhang’s eyes where everything is awesome! Must be a good way to live :kidaround:

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:17:56 pm

They weren’t great :lol: the horsefeather one was sub par and the Destroyer was fine but (as with most of the books) should’ve been cheaper. They don’t need prestige format, they are literally not worthy!

I wish I could read books through yours and syzhang’s eyes where everything is awesome! Must be a good way to live :kidaround:
Wow, you know I can be negative sometimes! :!:

Perhaps I have low standards, but Bad Idea consistently impresses me.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Ize
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 2015
Favorite character: Antonius Axia
Favorite title: Britannia
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Ize »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:17:56 pm

I agree. Apart from Whalesville and the pin redemptions, i think i bought all their other releases. Love the publisher and what they are doing, however i do think there have been some shockers published from them to i.e. I'd rather read Psi-Lords than Inebrio Horsefeathers again - which was most disappointing comic purchase last year! haha

Maybe if i wasn't a cynical British man i'd share the same enthusiasm and positivity as the majority of the BI fans do.

Ize
Valiant fan since: 2015
Favorite character: Antonius Axia
Favorite title: Britannia
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Ize »

Interesting - is that the Forgotten Queen in the Enternal Warriors?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ize wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:44:18 am
Interesting - is that the Forgotten Queen in the Enternal Warriors?
Would make sense for her to be.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Have to say, I had my doubts when the rights went to Alien, but I’ve been impressed with the creative teams being announced. The previews are the best the VALIANT books have looked in a while and it sounds like they’re developing/continuing the shared continuity from VEI/DMG before a soft reboot coming out of RESURGENCE. I may have to get back into the VU, though it feels kinda like getting back together with an ex who’s burned you before.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

BugsySig wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:37:12 am Have to say, I had my doubts when the rights went to Alien, but I’ve been impressed with the creative teams being announced. The previews are the best the VALIANT books have looked in a while and it sounds like they’re developing/continuing the shared continuity from VEI/DMG before a soft reboot coming out of RESURGENCE. I may have to get back into the VU, though it feels kinda like getting back together with an ex who’s burned you before.
Recommend going on a few low key dates but wait and see before you update your Facebook status :lol:

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

BugsySig wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:37:12 am Have to say, I had my doubts when the rights went to Alien, but I’ve been impressed with the creative teams being announced. The previews are the best the VALIANT books have looked in a while and it sounds like they’re developing/continuing the shared continuity from VEI/DMG before a soft reboot coming out of RESURGENCE. I may have to get back into the VU, though it feels kinda like getting back together with an ex who’s burned you before.
I haven’t been on this board for YEARS but Resurgence has me excited in a way I haven’t been for comics since the 2012 relaunch. I’m cautiously optimistic but do 100% agree with the above quote!

Domixt
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: Livewire
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Greg Pak
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Domixt »

Bl00dsh0t wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:45:29 am
I haven’t been on this board for YEARS but Resurgence has me excited in a way I haven’t been for comics since the 2012 relaunch. I’m cautiously optimistic but do 100% agree with the above quote!
Add me too. Last Valiant book I bought was Rai #10 in 2021, after being burned by Harbinger Wars 2 and not enjoyed that years Harbinger relaunch. Looking forward to FvL coming back, Houser on Faith and Abnett finishing of his Rai.

I may check out the last run of X-O and the Secret Weapons one-shot too.

Was the Bunn Book of Shadows and Shadowman and Hallum X-O worth picking up?

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Domixt wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:29:23 am
Bl00dsh0t wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:45:29 am
Add me too. Last Valiant book I bought was Rai #10 in 2021, after being burned by Harbinger Wars 2 and not enjoyed that years Harbinger relaunch. Looking forward to FvL coming back, Houser on Faith and Abnett finishing of his Rai.

I may check out the last run of X-O and the Secret Weapons one-shot too.

Was the Bunn Book of Shadows and Shadowman and Hallum X-O worth picking up?
Hallum’s XO was an abomination, don’t do it to yourself facepalm

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

Domixt wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:29:23 am Was the Bunn Book of Shadows and Shadowman and Hallum X-O worth picking up?
Bunn's Shadowman is legit, although it gets progressively worse with every arc imo.

Hallum's X-O is trash.

EDIT: X-O Unconquered was solid.

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by Tim »

I checked out after Kindt, Lemire and the like took over from Venditti, Dysart, etc and I haven't read a new comic book in a few years, but I might just take a peek at this. :hm:

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Tim wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:53:20 pm I checked out after Kindt, Lemire and the like took over from Venditti, Dysart, etc and I haven't read a new comic book in a few years, but I might just take a peek at this. :hm:
You didn’t read Lemire’s Bloodshot or Kindt’s Rai or Divinity?! :o

Tim

Post by Tim »

Found Rai tolerable but hated the other two.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Tim wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:01:20 pm Found Rai tolerable but hated the other two.
You'll probably love DMG Valiant then lol.

Tim

Post by Tim »

Unlikely from posts I read here. The first three or four years of VEI were some of the best books on the stands, but I'm pretty sure I checked out when I needed to.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

Tim wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:50:11 am Unlikely from posts I read here. The first three or four years of VEI were some of the best books on the stands, but I'm pretty sure I checked out when I needed to.
Not sure if you're counting 2015, but that was arguably VEI's best year, and while there were some questionable decisions made after that, so much good *SQUEE* released between 2016-2018... Ninja-K, Diggle's Shadowman, the first half of Kindt's X-O, Savage, Britannia... You're missing out man.

EDIT: What about Imperium and Life and Death of Toyo Harada?!?

Tim

Post by Tim »

TheFerg714 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:28:56 pm
Tim wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:50:11 am Unlikely from posts I read here. The first three or four years of VEI were some of the best books on the stands, but I'm pretty sure I checked out when I needed to.
Both of those were fun.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Tim wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:48:34 pm
TheFerg714 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:28:56 pm
Both of those were fun.
‘Fun’? They were as good as comic books get. :o Name some better books you’ve read since from any publisher?

Tim

Post by Tim »

"Fun" is my highest praise when I'm talking comics. :D