Resurgence of the VALIANT Universe

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
Resurgence of the VALIANT Universe

Post by ManofTheAtom »

"Bleeding Cool is about to announce the biggest Valiant Entertainment news in years. Check by in twenty minutes or so." -- Rich Johnston.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
Re: Resurgence of the VALIANT Universe

Post by ManofTheAtom »

:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Time for a #schism.

Looks pretty cool, actually. Is my optimism not misplaced this time? Has Valiant actually changed for the better?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Chiclo wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:44:30 pm Time for a #schism.

Looks pretty cool, actually. Is my optimism not misplaced this time? Has Valiant actually changed for the better?
Looks okay. I just wish it wasn't minis. Ongoing series would be better.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

They have a series called Ninjak vs. Roku? Is Ninjak going to fight the Roku streaming service or every Roku TV on the planet? :P :lol:
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Cyberstrike wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:12:24 pm They have a series called Ninjak vs. Roku? Is Ninjak going to fight the Roku streaming service or every Roku TV on the planet? :P :lol:
In VH 1, Webnet used to be called Comcast.

From cable to streaming, you have to appreciate the commitment to the joke...

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

Another exciting announcement from Alien. Everything sounds solid so far. Can't wait for Van Lente's return to A&A!

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

TheFerg714 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:48:26 pm Another exciting announcement from Alien. Everything sounds solid so far. Can't wait for Van Lente's return to A&A!
It's certainly promising.

The Harbinger
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by The Harbinger »

Bummer they completely lost faith in the Harbinger IP, but can't blame them. That last Harbinger run may have killed the series and we're left with "zany" Faith adventures.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

The Harbinger wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:07:15 pm Bummer they completely lost faith in the Harbinger IP, but can't blame them. That last Harbinger run may have killed the series and we're left with "zany" Faith adventures.
Urgh.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

The Harbinger wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:07:15 pm Bummer they completely lost faith in the Harbinger IP, but can't blame them. That last Harbinger run may have killed the series and we're left with "zany" Faith adventures.
Let's not forget that Harbinger Renegade and Harbinger Wars II did no favors for the IP either.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Another possibility - there could be some licensor complications with the ip, maybe needing to collaborate or coordinate Harbinger comics with a movie studio? :hm: :o :D

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

The intention by Alien is good but they haven’t got the quality of writers to pull this off. Rather than have so many new books why not have fewer but pay for A tier writers?

I wonder if Dysart, Kindt, Lemire and VDitti are still boycotting Valiant? Maybe with Alien at the helm it might change things :hm:

corey
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:36:28 am The intention by Alien is good but they haven’t got the quality of writers to pull this off. Rather than have so many new books why not have fewer but pay for A tier writers?

I wonder if Dysart, Kindt, Lemire and VDitti are still boycotting Valiant? Maybe with Alien at the helm it might change things :hm:
Those would be great to have back

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:36:28 am The intention by Alien is good but they haven’t got the quality of writers to pull this off. Rather than have so many new books why not have fewer but pay for A tier writers?

Is it a boycott? Or is it just that they have much better opportunities? They all seem very happy doing phenomenal work at Bad Idea, and doing their creator owned books. Why go back to Valiant when it ultimate quality of the comic books will be a step down (no matter what Alien does, and I'm not saying this will be bad, lets assume its good, they still won't catch the quality of Bad Idea or be good enough to not spend the time on a creator owned). Kindt has Save Now and Megalith coming and both look incredible. VDitti has Space War and that looks even better. I just don't think Valiant can compete for talent right now. They are better off doing what VEI did when they started and creating the talent from unknowns. This list -- Dysart, Kindt, Lemire and VDitti -- were basically all unknowns in 2012 when VEI started working with them.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

corey wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:37:35 am

Those would be great to have back
I agree with this. I would back up the money truck to these 4 and say 'create an event'. You'd need someone to steer the ship though so might need another money truck.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

TheFerg714 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:07:12 am
Let's not forget that Harbinger Renegade and Harbinger Wars II did no favors for the IP either.
Harbinger Wars 2 was a big disappointment but we know we only got a version of the story was supposed to be right?

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Chiclo wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:44:30 pm Time for a #schism.

I am choosing to be optimistic too. I wish it didn't look like just old ideas recycled but maybe we need to see more. Rooting for a good Valiant event again.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

syzhang28 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:42:13 am

Is it a boycott? Or is it just that they have much better opportunities? They all seem very happy doing phenomenal work at Bad Idea, and doing their creator owned books. Why go back to Valiant when it ultimate quality of the comic books will be a step down (no matter what Alien does, and I'm not saying this will be bad, lets assume its good, they still won't catch the quality of Bad Idea or be good enough to not spend the time on a creator owned). Kindt has Save Now and Megalith coming and both look incredible. VDitti has Space War and that looks even better. I just don't think Valiant can compete for talent right now. They are better off doing what VEI did when they started and creating the talent from unknowns. This list -- Dysart, Kindt, Lemire and VDitti -- were basically all unknowns in 2012 when VEI started working with them.
I’m pretty sure they did ‘boycott’ DMG after they way they treated Dinesh. Yes Dysart still released his final Harbinger story but I think that was already in progress.

Let’s be real about Bad Idea, I’ve bought most of the books but a lot of it has been average. 90% definitely not worth the deluxe paper, covers etc I hope they are a big success and I’ll still buy (some of) the books but they haven’t blown me away.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:08:25 pm

I’m pretty sure they did ‘boycott’ DMG after they way they treated Dinesh. Yes Dysart still released his final Harbinger story but I think that was already in progress.

Let’s be real about Bad Idea, I’ve bought most of the books but a lot of it has been average. 90% definitely not worth the deluxe paper, covers etc I hope they are a big success and I’ll still buy (some of) the books but they haven’t blown me away.
I didn't know it was a boycott. Nice to see loyalty.

We must be reading different books. Obviously not everything is perfect but they are batting a lot of A and A+ comics imo.

"A"
Tankers, Whalesville, Odinn's Eye etc.

"A+"
E.N.I.A.C., Orc Island, The Finder, The Ends, Pyrate Queen, Hero Trade and many of the short stories like Save Now, The First Seven Days, A Good Boy, Cephalopod etc.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

syzhang28 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:59:57 pm

We must be reading different books. Obviously not everything is perfect but they are batting a lot of A and A+ comics imo.

"A"

"A+"
E.N.I.A.C., Orc Island, The Finder, The Ends, Pyrate Queen, Hero Trade and many of the short stories like Save Now, The First Seven Days, A Good Boy, Cephalopod etc.
I don’t think they publicly said it was a boycott but I reckon it was.

As for Bad Idea having all A’s…that’s crazy talk! Although I will agree some of the B sides have been better than the A sides.

Top level - ENIAC, Hero Trade (including the excellent Kickstarter)

Solid level - Orc Island, Pyrate Queen, Odinn’s Eye

Then average to disappointing from there (unfortunately).

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:17:36 pm
syzhang28 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:59:57 pm

"A"

"A+"
I don’t think they publicly said it was a boycott but I reckon it was.

As for Bad Idea having all A’s…that’s crazy talk! Although I will agree some of the B sides have been better than the A sides.

Top level - ENIAC, Hero Trade (including the excellent Kickstarter)

Solid level - Orc Island, Pyrate Queen, Odinn’s Eye

Then average to disappointing from there (unfortunately).
It's crazy talk if you make things up. I said "Obviously not everything is perfect". What's crazy talk is that you're dismissing some absolutely fantastic books. The Finder is disappointing or average? That's one of the best, most suspenseful superhero stories in years.

Bad Idea just sent out a digital copy of A Good Boy instead of doing an April Fool's Joke. I recommend it: https://mcusercontent.com/cea6914bbad5b ... Boy_01.pdf

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

https://mcusercontent.com/cea6914bbad5b ... Boy_01.pdf

This is a decent little B side, but nothing more. :? If it was at the back of a solid A side priced at £4.99 on regular paper then yeah. If it’s a B side at the back of a prestige format £9.99 below average book like ‘The Ends’ then no thanks.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

syzhang28 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:58:30 am Harbinger Wars 2 was a big disappointment but we know we only got a version of the story was supposed to be right?
Of course, but why does that matter? We're talking about the overall perception of the final product.

Oof we seem to be in disagreement lately lol. As much as Bad Idea annoys the *SQUEE* out of me with their Kickstarter *SQUEE*, like 90% of their output is straight fire. Almost all of it is extremely memorable and entertaining. That's why it's so *SQUEE* frustrating that they stopped putting their product in stores.

The only lackluster stories for me were Slay Bells and The Lot.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:11:17 pm https://mcusercontent.com/cea6914bbad5b ... Boy_01.pdf

This is a decent little B side, but nothing more. :? If it was at the back of a solid A side priced at £4.99 on regular paper then yeah. If it’s a B side at the back of a prestige format £9.99 below average book like ‘The Ends’ then no thanks.
We'll agree to disagree. I thought A Good Boy was absolutely fantastic. Very rare to see so much in such a tight package (don't want to ruin the journey for others with spoilers)