VALIANT DARQUE - a fan fiction concept

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
VALIANT DARQUE - a fan fiction concept

Post by Ryan »

Disclaimer: This is not a pitch and has nothing to do with the Alien Books Valiant Comics line. The current versions of the characters look to be in good hands and I look forward to seeing what Alien does with them.

This is a fan fiction concept concerning the classic 90's version of Valiant. I've made numerous concepts over the years in notebooks and sketchbooks just because they've always been my favorite characters and I enjoy reading/thinking about/writing/drawing them. I decided to make a few finished illustrations for this concept to put in my upcoming fanzine, and that's what I'm sharing here. I have no plans and no time to make an actual comic or anything else from this concept at the current time.

The Concept: Following Shadowman #43, Jack doesn't splat after he jumps off the building. He's mysteriously saved by a time arc and is brought to the present day (this part is from Bob Hall's unpublished continuation).

However in this present day (2024) it seems that Master Darque has become exponentially more powerful, and has direct control of universal energies in a similar way as the missing hero Atom-Man (Sol-r). How did this happen? Are any of the old heroes still around to help Jack fight this epic threat to the universe? That's what we'll find out.

Stylistically the stories would be a darker, rougher, more indy and adult. In some ways comparable to the Darker Image and Marvel Knights lines. But definitely still following the early Valiant/New Universe rules of events having logical ramifications and all the comics unfolding in real-time (1 year in the real world = 1 year in the story universe). You could call it an alternate continuation of the VH1 continuity in modern times, VH1-D or VHD :D.

Thanks for checking this out. If I get the time I'd also like to further develop my concept for VH1 Rai in the 3000's. Maybe for the next fanzine? :hope:

VDarque_00cover01_cropped logos.jpg
Shadowman00_cropped logos01.jpg
VDarque_promo01_cropped logos01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
Re: VALIANT DARQUE - a fan fiction concept

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Cool!
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:59:36 amCool!
Thanks man!

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:43:04 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:59:36 amCool!
Thanks man!
No problem.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Also just want to throw out there, if anyone is interested in starting a tabletop rpg (played together online) using this premise and the VH1 characters, I'd love to contribute and join in. Unfortunately I don't have the time or brain skills to run a game myself.

I got the VEI rpg but its very rules-lite, I think running a mix of Palladium's Ninjas and Superspies with some Heroes Unlimited using modern day versions of the VH1 characters would be amazing :cloud9: . If any GM-types see this and are interested let me know.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Ryan wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:04:14 am This is a fan fiction concept concerning the classic 90's version of Valiant.
Interesting concept. While VH1 may not be published again, it lives on among us fans.

/Magnus

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:13:10 pm Also just want to throw out there, if anyone is interested in starting a tabletop rpg (played together online) using this premise and the VH1 characters, I'd love to contribute and join in. Unfortunately I don't have the time or brain skills to run a game myself.

I got the VEI rpg but its very rules-lite, I think running a mix of Palladium's Ninjas and Superspies with some Heroes Unlimited using modern day versions of the VH1 characters would be amazing :cloud9: . If any GM-types see this and are interested let me know.
Wish I could, but it's not possible right now.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

magnusr wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:23:23 am
Ryan wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:04:14 am This is a fan fiction concept concerning the classic 90's version of Valiant.
Interesting concept. While VH1 may not be published again, it lives on among us fans.

/Magnus
Thanks, yeah exactly. I'll always love the 90s universe and think about how it would be continued. I know there are many who share that love even if only a few of us still post here.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:04:54 am
Ryan wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:13:10 pm Also just want to throw out there, if anyone is interested in starting a tabletop rpg (played together online) using this premise and the VH1 characters, I'd love to contribute and join in. Unfortunately I don't have the time or brain skills to run a game myself.

I hear ya, it's more like a pipe dream. I should've thought of it 20 years ago when I had time to actually do it :lol:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:33:25 am
ManofTheAtom wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:04:54 am

I hear ya, it's more like a pipe dream. I should've thought of it 20 years ago when I had time to actually do it :lol:
Heh, yeah.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Good stuff there, Ryan! Always great to see fan passion translated into actual art & writing. :thumb: :thumb:

I love doing it too - I’ve currently got a fan-fic New Universe based comic on the go… which I’ve been trying to find time to complete for the last 5 years, lol
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jakgrimm
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by jakgrimm »

Great Artwork Ryan! What was your concept for XO in your pictures? His tactical camera seems to be breaking off of him (with splinters)
Time to take a dump. -Torque

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

grendeljd wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:07:25 pm Good stuff there, Ryan! Always great to see fan passion translated into actual art & writing. :thumb: :thumb:

I love doing it too - I’ve currently got a fan-fic New Universe based comic on the go… which I’ve been trying to find time to complete for the last 5 years, lol
Thanks man! I'm a huge New Universe fan, would love to hear more about your fan fic or a link to see more.

It's hard to find the time to fully realize fan projects since there isn't much of a reward beyond the satisfaction of working with characters that we love.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

jakgrimm wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:26:10 pm Great Artwork Ryan! What was your concept for XO in your pictures? His tactical camera seems to be breaking off of him (with splinters)
Thanks! To me a sentient alien organic armor would be much weirder and goopier than the way it's usually portrayed in Valiant. So the camera is like an alien eyeball that plops off the armor. The armor material can fluctuate between a liquid metal and super solid based on mental control.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Ryan wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:07:17 pm
grendeljd wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:07:25 pm Good stuff there, Ryan! Always great to see fan passion translated into actual art & writing. :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks man! I'm a huge New Universe fan, would love to hear more about your fan fic or a link to see more.

It's hard to find the time to fully realize fan projects since there isn't much of a reward beyond the satisfaction of working with characters that we love.
Yeah, unfortunately it slides down the priority list too easily at times.

Very cool to hear you are a big fan of the New U - I’m pretty obsessed with it myself! Fellow member Starbrand started a fan page for the line on Facebook years ago and I help run it. It’s one of few things I still enjoy making time for as far as an online activity. We have managed to get several former creators & editors to join the page, and they do occasionally participate too.

I’ll dig up a photo of my current story attempt to share here - it’s going to be an 8 page Spitfire story… I’ve currently got 4 pages pencilled. I know it’s not the most popular New U book but it is my personal favourite!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Fair warning, this is a relatively boring page as far as subject matter goes - just some dialogue scenes. I kinda wince whenever I look at some of these panels.

Page 4 with Jenny Swensen and Anne Pollicino; Image

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

grendeljd wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:56:11 am Fair warning, this is a relatively boring page as far as subject matter goes - just some dialogue scenes. I kinda wince whenever I look at some of these panels.

Page 4 with Jenny Swensen and Anne Pollicino; Image
Holy crap, that's excellent man! No need for inks even.

I have to admit I haven't read Spitfire. I came to it later and only read some of Starbrand and DP7, but I did fill my gaps in those and picked up The Pitt a year or so ago, so I've been meaning to go back and read them all. I'll have to check out Spitfire now too. Psi-Force also intrigues me.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Ryan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:57:56 pm Holy crap, that's excellent man! No need for inks even.

I have to admit I haven't read Spitfire. I came to it later and only read some of Starbrand and DP7, but I did fill my gaps in those and picked up The Pitt a year or so ago, so I've been meaning to go back and read them all. I'll have to check out Spitfire now too. Psi-Force also intrigues me.
Thanks very much, man! I will be inking it but I appreciate hearing that. I aim for fairly tight pencils ahead of doing inks usually.

I have to say, while I personally absolutely love the Spitfire series, I'm in the minority of New U fans for that. It only lasted 13 issues before being cancelled after all. So don't go in with high expectations if you do check it out sometime.

PSI Force is a popular New U book, but I did not read it until about 12 years ago or so. I don't have a strong connection to it.

Justice is a pretty cool series overall [another favourite of mine], and I also really enjoy Nightmask but it did suffer from some pretty inconsistent creative teams and only lasted 12 issues [it somehow managed to land the highest proportion of really excellent covers despite that].

Star Brand & DP7 are widely considered the very best titles. In general the whole line is imperfect at best but really fun when it's done well. It was definitely Shooters precursor concept to what he did with the Valiant universe.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

grendeljd wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:10:07 pm Thanks very much, man! I will be inking it but I appreciate hearing that. I aim for fairly tight pencils ahead of doing inks usually.

I have to say, while I personally absolutely love the Spitfire series, I'm in the minority of New U fans for that. It only lasted 13 issues before being cancelled after all. So don't go in with high expectations if you do check it out sometime.

PSI Force is a popular New U book, but I did not read it until about 12 years ago or so. I don't have a strong connection to it.

Justice is a pretty cool series overall [another favourite of mine], and I also really enjoy Nightmask but it did suffer from some pretty inconsistent creative teams and only lasted 12 issues [it somehow managed to land the highest proportion of really excellent covers despite that].

Star Brand & DP7 are widely considered the very best titles. In general the whole line is imperfect at best but really fun when it's done well. It was definitely Shooters precursor concept to what he did with the Valiant universe.
Nice, can't wait to see how the inks turn out. I have trouble penciling tightly, I think I lose patience or something :lol:

A few years ago I was looking for information about the creation of the New Universe from the time it was being made, and Marvel Age is a good resource. I went through and clipped all the pages I could find that involved the New Universe. Lots of good info and behind the scenes stuff.
44-23.jpg
44-27.jpg
47-23.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.