So my girl started reading Unity

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jakgrimm
My posts can all fit in a short box
So my girl started reading Unity

Post by jakgrimm »

and I asked her if the interaction in Harbinger asking Magnus where he's from seemed weird to her.
It's a foretelling of the future but she didn't know that (she doesn't normally read comics)

So I asked her do you think its funny or weird that they ask Magnus where he's from?? Did they ask everyone there where they are from and what time??

So she said well everyone is there (referring to the panel above that showed everyone)

She's got a point
Time to take a dump. -Torque

jakgrimm
Re: So my girl started reading Unity

Post by jakgrimm »

MOTA is there any reference to Kris being from Canada before Unity? Specifically the Ottowa sector lol

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

Sharing the classics :clap:

I'd have to look at the issue, is it because Magnus is the only one in that group that's from the future? Maybe they were familiar with everyone else.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

jakgrimm wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:47:42 pm MOTA is there any reference to Kris being from Canada before Unity? Specifically the Ottowa sector lol
I cannot recall offhand, heh.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:30:46 am Sharing the classics :clap:

I'd have to look at the issue, is it because Magnus is the only one in that group that's from the future? Maybe they were familiar with everyone else.
Maybe he speaks with a Canadian accent, heh.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

jakgrimm

Post by jakgrimm »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:46:18 am

They do mention that he speaks with a weird accent - that's why Zep goes over to him and starts the conversation. He says he's from the Ottowa sector and they show Kris' face in that panel.

Not that it matters where Kris is from, right? Magnus was raised underwater with no people around

jakgrimm

Post by jakgrimm »

No it was when all the characters meet up for the first time right after Solar gets his hand back. Everyone was there so my girl assumed everyone exchanged information. That has to be how everyone can recall every one else's name so flawlessly throughout the six months lol

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

jakgrimm wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:57:52 am

They do mention that he speaks with a weird accent - that's why Zep goes over to him and starts the conversation. He says he's from the Ottowa sector and they show Kris' face in that panel.

Not that it matters where Kris is from, right? Magnus was raised underwater with no people around
Yeah, I thought I remembered there being a mention of an accent.

I imagine that showing Kris was foreshadowing to her being his mom.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

jakgrimm wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:02:03 am No it was when all the characters meet up for the first time right after Solar gets his hand back. Everyone was there so my girl assumed everyone exchanged information. That has to be how everyone can recall every one else's name so flawlessly throughout the six months lol
They must've cut Unity day 7: name tag day :lol:

Confirmed - 41st century North Am accent sounds Canadian.

jakgrimm

Post by jakgrimm »

Ryan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:15:33 am
jakgrimm wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:02:03 am No it was when all the characters meet up for the first time right after Solar gets his hand back. Everyone was there so my girl assumed everyone exchanged information. That has to be how everyone can recall every one else's name so flawlessly throughout the six months lol

Haha name tag day :)

And just checked to see if Peter and Kris grew up in like Detroit or somewhere close to Canada and they did not. They were in school together in Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh.

So :?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

jakgrimm wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:23:08 am
Ryan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:15:33 am

And just checked to see if Peter and Kris grew up in like Detroit or somewhere close to Canada and they did not. They were in school together in Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh.

Just checked, and in Chaos Effect Epilogue #2 Magnus mentions in a dialogue box that Kris was born in a house in Upper St. Clair, Pennsylvania twenty years prior.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Yinzer accent might sound Canadian. I should've remembered that Kris and Pete are from Shooter's hometown. I'll have to pull that comic out, but it sounds like the scene was probably just awkward cause they were trying to force in the connection between Magnus and the Harb kids.

jakgrimm

Post by jakgrimm »

Ryan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:40:46 am

Yinzer accent might sound Canadian. I should've remembered that Kris and Pete are from Shooter's hometown. I'll have to pull that comic out, but it sounds like the scene was probably just awkward cause they were trying to force in the connection between Magnus and the Harb kids.
Yeah its pretty cool but was wondering what the connection is to Ottowa and Kris. Why show her face at that moment? Maybe it's nothing or maybe Torque was from Canada :D

Love how their hair color is the same. I know its a funny thing but Watchmen did it as well

jakgrimm

Post by jakgrimm »

jakgrimm wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:34:27 am

Yeah its pretty cool but was wondering what the connection is to Ottowa and Kris. Why show her face at that moment? Maybe it's nothing or maybe Torque was from Canada :D

Love how their hair color is the same. I know its a funny thing but Watchmen did it as well
That leads to my next question, and please point me in the right direction if this has been posted or discussed before, Did Zep know Magnus somehow from his GoldKey Comics? She recognized Doc Solar from his comic and now Magnus shows up. She says he looks familiar (but that could just be from his resemblance to Kris as her son). Either way its definitely a nod and Easter egg for the fan boys like us. Phil used to read Doc Solar comics and even had a long box. So those comics exist in the Valiant world both pre and post black hole event. And Turok shows up in Unitas but Zep never sees him. Would have been great to see if she thinks he's familiar too. Thoughts?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

I still think it was just foreshadowing.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

jakgrimm wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:43:40 am

That leads to my next question, and please point me in the right direction if this has been posted or discussed before, Did Zep know Magnus somehow from his GoldKey Comics? She recognized Doc Solar from his comic and now Magnus shows up. She says he looks familiar (but that could just be from his resemblance to Kris as her son). Either way its definitely a nod and Easter egg for the fan boys like us. Phil used to read Doc Solar comics and even had a long box. So those comics exist in the Valiant world both pre and post black hole event. And Turok shows up in Unitas but Zep never sees him. Would have been great to see if she thinks he's familiar too. Thoughts?
I don't think those others existed as comics, heh, just Doctor Solar.

jakgrimm

Post by jakgrimm »

Elfquest existed too. Everything but Magnus and Turok comics? How convenient lol

Maybe when Solar changed the Universe he took them out deliberately, pretty far fetched but :? :? :?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

jakgrimm wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:53:17 am Elfquest existed too. Everything but Magnus and Turok comics? How convenient lol

Maybe when Solar changed the Universe he took them out deliberately, pretty far fetched but :? :? :?
Well, since Magnus was the first VALIANT comic, the argument would be that the VALIANT Universe exists in the same continuity and universe as the Gold Key Magnus comics, and that it is within THOSE comics that Doctor Solar is a fictional character that the real Phil Seleski read when he was a kid.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

jakgrimm wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:43:40 am That leads to my next question, and please point me in the right direction if this has been posted or discussed before, Did Zep know Magnus somehow from his GoldKey Comics? She recognized Doc Solar from his comic and now Magnus shows up. She says he looks familiar (but that could just be from his resemblance to Kris as her son). Either way its definitely a nod and Easter egg for the fan boys like us. Phil used to read Doc Solar comics and even had a long box. So those comics exist in the Valiant world both pre and post black hole event. And Turok shows up in Unitas but Zep never sees him. Would have been great to see if she thinks he's familiar too. Thoughts?
Yeah that's always been a tough one, borderline paradox/contradiction. The fact that the events of Gold Key Magnus (and presumably Turok) are canon events that actually happened in Valiant continuity while at the same time Gold Key Dr. Solar comics exist as fiction.

So Gold Key comics existed in the Valiant universe, were they just missing those titles or were there substitute/analog characters? What about the Dr. Solar issues from the 80's that had Magnus backup stories? What were those backup stories in the Valiant universe versions of Dr. Solar comics? Just blank pages? :hm: :hm: :lol:

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:13:55 am Well, since Magnus was the first VALIANT comic, the argument would be that the VALIANT Universe exists in the same continuity and universe as the Gold Key Magnus comics, and that it is within THOSE comics that Doctor Solar is a fictional character that the real Phil Seleski read when he was a kid.
That's definitely implied if not outright stated.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:16:53 am
ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:13:55 am Well, since Magnus was the first VALIANT comic, the argument would be that the VALIANT Universe exists in the same continuity and universe as the Gold Key Magnus comics, and that it is within THOSE comics that Doctor Solar is a fictional character that the real Phil Seleski read when he was a kid.
Indeed.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:15:34 am
jakgrimm wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:43:40 am That leads to my next question, and please point me in the right direction if this has been posted or discussed before, Did Zep know Magnus somehow from his GoldKey Comics? She recognized Doc Solar from his comic and now Magnus shows up. She says he looks familiar (but that could just be from his resemblance to Kris as her son). Either way its definitely a nod and Easter egg for the fan boys like us. Phil used to read Doc Solar comics and even had a long box. So those comics exist in the Valiant world both pre and post black hole event. And Turok shows up in Unitas but Zep never sees him. Would have been great to see if she thinks he's familiar too. Thoughts?
Yeah that's always been a tough one, borderline paradox/contradiction. The fact that the events of Gold Key Magnus (and presumably Turok) are canon events that actually happened in Valiant continuity while at the same time Gold Key Dr. Solar comics exist as fiction.

So Gold Key comics existed in the Valiant universe, were they just missing those titles or were there substitute/analog characters? What about the Dr. Solar issues from the 80's that had Magnus backup stories? What were those backup stories in the Valiant universe versions of Dr. Solar comics? Just blank pages? :hm: :hm: :lol:
:hm:

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

jakgrimm wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:53:17 am Elfquest existed too. Everything but Magnus and Turok comics? How convenient lol

Definitely is stretching it a bit into far fetched land, but I guess the argument could be made when Phil destroyed his world, then traveled back in time altering the universe, his subconscious is what made certain Gold Key comics real, while Dr. Solar his favorite character remained fiction. It would be logical that if Phil (in his original world, supposedly our world but actually VH0) was a huge Dr. Solar fan then he would have been reading Magnus and Turok as well, or at the very least aware of them.

However if this theory was true, when Solar first met Magnus and went to the Lost land he would've been like holy sheet why are these comic book characters actually real now?

That didn't happen so it leads me to think Magnus and Turok didn't exist in VH0 either.

jakgrimm

Post by jakgrimm »

Ryan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:15:34 am

Haha amazing! If I'm not mistaken in VH1 Magnus references some adventures he had that took place in his GK books! I gotta find good examples but one I think is his coming across evil genius MYXplx, whatever his name is that has the Evil mustatch

jakgrimm

Post by jakgrimm »

Ryan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:16:53 am
I see your point. Its the same universe. How paradoxical