Alien sales

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

syzhang28
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Alien sales

Post by syzhang28 »

My store said they are terrible and will they will soon abandon the format and move to monthly single issues to try and save the license.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris
Re: Alien sales

Post by Chiclo »

Ok, let's see if time proves syzhang right this time. He's 1 for 5 so far.

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!

Post by valiantdude »

could it be. idk.. because the books suck? they need a reboot

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Chiclo wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:04:32 pm Ok, let's see if time proves syzhang right this time. He's 1 for 5 so far.
5 for 5. You just don't know yet.

The Chosen 1
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa

Post by The Chosen 1 »

You're just an abnoxious idiot who is 1 for 5. And when you get caught out on how rude and idiotic you are, you play the victim.

Why don't you *SQUEE* off and remove yourself from this forum. Theres nothing constructive about anything you write.

You should learn how to interact with people in a socially acceptable manner instead of being some rude cry baby. We've actually got senior people from Alien Books on this forum interacting with proper fans, and you're just being a rude cuck who throws your toys out of the cot when you get told you're wrong.

I bet you're an only child.
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

The Chosen 1 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:06:58 pm You're just an abnoxious idiot who is 1 for 5. And when you get caught out on how rude and idiotic you are, you play the victim.

Why don't you *SQUEE* off and remove yourself from this forum. Theres nothing constructive about anything you write.

You should learn how to interact with people in a socially acceptable manner instead of being some rude cry baby. We've actually got senior people from Alien Books on this forum interacting with proper fans, and you're just being a rude cuck who throws your toys out of the cot when you get told you're wrong.

Mods, is this behavior allowed? What kind of a name do you have to call someone to get banned? How much cursing is allowed?

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

The Chosen 1 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:06:58 pm Why don't you *SQUEE* off and remove yourself from this forum. Theres nothing constructive about anything you write.
To be fair, if we demanded that users have at least 20% worthwhile posts, then this place would be even more dead than it is already.

The Chosen 1
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa

Post by The Chosen 1 »

syzhang28 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:10:20 pm
The Chosen 1 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:06:58 pm You're just an abnoxious idiot who is 1 for 5. And when you get caught out on how rude and idiotic you are, you play the victim.

Mods, is this behavior allowed? What kind of a name do you have to call someone to get banned? How much cursing is allowed?
Playing the victim again. You can't help yourself. Like I said, you offer nothing constructive. Boo hoo you little baby.
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Seriously? You want someone banned for that kind of content in a post? The Chosen 1 says you are acting like a victim and you respond by asking the admin to boot him? Was it because he called you an only child?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

What's with the doom and gloom?

You're shifting from complaining about the KS to now this. Why? What's the gain here?

What one store says or how their customers reacted to the new format is hardly indicative of the whole, though.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

syzhang28 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:10:20 pm How much cursing is allowed?
I KNOW! I KNOW!
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I haven’t even picked up my first Alien books yet!

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

nycjadie wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:21:09 pm I haven’t even picked up my first Alien books yet!
Same here. I've yet to get one. I'm assuming since they are prestige format there is only 1 cover for each issue instead of endless covers like before?

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

magnus20009 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:35:26 pm
nycjadie wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:21:09 pm I haven’t even picked up my first Alien books yet!
Same here. I've yet to get one. I'm assuming since they are prestige format there is only 1 cover for each issue instead of endless covers like before?
That's my understanding.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Chiclo wrote:
The Chosen 1 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:06:58 pm Why don't you *SQUEE* off and remove yourself from this forum. Theres nothing constructive about anything you write.
To be fair, if we demanded that users have at least 20% worthwhile posts, then this place would be even more dead than it is already.
LolImage

Sent from my Pixel Fold using Tapatalk

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

slack
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: pre-Unity 90's
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger (Dysart)
Favorite writer: tough choice
Favorite artist: ?

Post by slack »

I prefer standard floppy books that open and lay basically flat. The act of reading a prestige book requires careful handling to avoid cover creases, and each time you open, it risks popping the spine-glued cover off.
Isn't ninjak superkillers broken into more issues (each with their own cover) on drive-thru comics? Why? 2 prestige issues in the real world, but 4 standard issues in digital? Now there's covers for books that don't exist in physical form.

I feel like the prestige format is for special books that go on a bookshelf. Not continuing monthly releases.

So, as much as this is just another of syzhang28's rumor/predictions... if it came to a vote... I'd vote floppies.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

slack wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:39:25 am So, as much as this is just another of syzhang28's rumor/predictions... if it came to a vote... I'd vote floppies.
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Let’s not get crazy here! We should wait and indefinite amount of time before saying he was right again.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

slack wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:39:25 am I prefer standard floppy books that open and lay basically flat. The act of reading a prestige book requires careful handling to avoid cover creases, and each time you open, it risks popping the spine-glued cover off.
Isn't ninjak superkillers broken into more issues (each with their own cover) on drive-thru comics? Why? 2 prestige issues in the real world, but 4 standard issues in digital? Now there's covers for books that don't exist in physical form.

I feel like the prestige format is for special books that go on a bookshelf. Not continuing monthly releases.

So, as much as this is just another of syzhang28's rumor/predictions... if it came to a vote... I'd vote floppies.
Good points. What about going the other direction, making them shorter and cheaper? I always liked in the mid-'00s when Fell and Casanova came out as 16 page (of story) comic magazines (I hate the term floppies) for $2.

corey
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

slack wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:39:25 am I prefer standard floppy books that open and lay basically flat. The act of reading a prestige book requires careful handling to avoid cover creases, and each time you open, it risks popping the spine-glued cover off.

I prefer floppies too. If I want a high grade comic I would purposely pursue one. (Pay a premium for the high grade)I just like to read most comics i buy

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Triggered alert here, :lol:

I gotta say that I really despise that term “floppies”. They are *comic books*. The original format - the original name for them is *comic books*. All other formats that came afterwards like TPB’s have their *own* terms to differentiate them from the *original format*. Which is a *comic book*.

The term floppy is the most unimaginative and lazy nickname anyone could have ever come up with. It is almost entirely unrelated to anything to do with the physical properties of the comic book. Do you call magazines floppy because their paper can flop as well? I don’t! Do you call your toilet paper “floppy sheets” because they flop around if not handled with care? I don’t!!

This is not a personal attack on anyone using the term here, it’s just a source of irritation to me that such a stupid nickname has caught on at all.

Needed to get that little rant out, haha!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

grendeljd wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:29:17 pm Triggered alert here, :lol:

I gotta say that I really despise that term “floppies”. They are *comic books*. The original format - the original name for them is *comic books*. All other formats that came afterwards like TPB’s have their *own* terms to differentiate them from the *original format*. Which is a *comic book*.

The term floppy is the most unimaginative and lazy nickname anyone could have ever come up with. It is almost entirely unrelated to anything to do with the physical properties of the comic book. Do you call magazines floppy because their paper can flop as well? I don’t! Do you call your toilet paper “floppy sheets” because they flop around if not handled with care? I don’t!!

This is not a personal attack on anyone using the term here, it’s just a source of irritation to me that such a stupid nickname has caught on at all.

Indeed.

corey
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

Cool, I'll keep calling them what I want, you call them what you want

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Chiclo wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:13:41 pm

Seriously? You want someone banned for that kind of content in a post? The Chosen 1 says you are acting like a victim and you respond by asking the admin to boot him? Was it because he called you an only child?
It is clear that self-awareness isn't syzhang28's strong suit, and that we shouldn't upset the fragility of ego driving his incessant attacks on Alien (which have been very disrespectful at times, even if s28 is incapable of seeing that).
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

leonmallett
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:43:38 pm

Indeed.
'Pamphlets' is irritating for me as well as floppies; I think Dino may have used that one during his VEI tenure (he did so much right, that was one of two missteps for me - not an attack on him), but my apologies if I misattributed that.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

I think that nerds of a certain age (being me) like the term floppy as that is what we called disks back in the day. I think it is an imaginative term. It takes several mental steps to figure out what someone is talking about. Comic books aren’t actually books either. The term was given to hardbound comic strip reprints that were published in the platinum age. They were not floppy at all. I have many. The first comic book was Obadiah Oldbuck. I do not have or have seen one close in person. There are very few copies of this book. I came close to getting one in an auction last year or the year before. It is one of my grails. There is a well-known collection who is buying them all up. There might be less than 20-30.

The first time the term comic book was used was on a Yellow Kid and Katzenjammer Kids anthology. I’d love to have this book. It’s printed on the back. Again, this was a hardcover.

The first comic book as we know it is Funnies on Parade. I suppose that was the first floppy in standard size. There were a few earlier floppies. The first monthly was Famous Funnies. Some call that book the first true comic book. In reality, these were comic magazines published by magazine publishers at a very different price point (10 cents) to appeal to consumers of the depression era.

We can’t forget Little Big Books, which were illustrated books that were essentially hardbound.

The term cartoon is now used for something entirely different. Cartoons were the paper that artists used for preliminary drawings. The term morphed into illustrated drawings in newspapers. The artist for Little Nemo is the first to apply it to illustrated animated films. Now that is the primary use of the term.

I love both comics and etymology. I don’t really care where the words go, but the path they travel on.