Re-Reading VALIANT Entertainment

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
Re-Reading VALIANT Entertainment

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Someone should take the lead and create threads for re-reading all of VEI like we previously did VH 1 and VH 2.

MAYBE doing that will help pinpoint where the quality went down prior to, during, or after the Antos era.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Re: Re-Reading VALIANT Entertainment

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:42:40 am Someone should take the lead and create threads for re-reading all of VEI like we previously did VH 1 and VH 2.

MAYBE doing that will help pinpoint where the quality went down prior to, during, or after the Antos era.
Hmm it never seems like there's much interest in re-reading VEI even from the VEI hardcores. :? I had the first year or so but I don't anymore, or I would do it. They were quick reads, anyway.

I think most people agree that Harbinger Wars 2 is where the split happened, as DMG took over then and changed that story. I don't think there's much difference between Illidge/Antos or any of the other DMG EiC's. They had a different approach from DIno and seemed to target a new audience instead of the VEI fans or the classic Valiant fans.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:30:55 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:42:40 am Someone should take the lead and create threads for re-reading all of VEI like we previously did VH 1 and VH 2.

Hmm it never seems like there's much interest in re-reading VEI even from the VEI hardcores. :? I had the first year or so but I don't anymore, or I would do it. They were quick reads, anyway.

I think most people agree that Harbinger Wars 2 is where the split happened, as DMG took over then and changed that story. I don't think there's much difference between Illidge/Antos or any of the other DMG EiC's. They had a different approach from DIno and seemed to target a new audience instead of the VEI fans or the classic Valiant fans.
True.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

jakgrimm
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by jakgrimm »

Why subject anyone to a double dose of that crap if one can help it?

So disappointing all of it

So glad they are printed on the cheapest paper that can only be read once. They are disposable comics.
Time to take a dump. -Torque

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

jakgrimm wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:43:55 pm Why subject anyone to a double dose of that crap if one can help it?

So disappointing all of it

So glad they are printed on the cheapest paper that can only be read once. They are disposable comics.
Dang, that bad.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

I am planning an X-O Manowar re-read though the HCs which will take me past when I dumped reading VEI, so I'm looking forward to reading for the first time what I missed out on.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

leonmallett wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:53:11 pm I am planning an X-O Manowar re-read though the HCs which will take me past when I dumped reading VEI, so I'm looking forward to reading for the first time what I missed out on.
Awesome.

In the first issue, when Aric grabs a piece of broken sword that he then uses to break his bonds and escape was my suggestion.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:11:29 pm
leonmallett wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:53:11 pm I am planning an X-O Manowar re-read though the HCs which will take me past when I dumped reading VEI, so I'm looking forward to reading for the first time what I missed out on.
Awesome.

In the first issue, when Aric grabs a piece of broken sword that he then uses to break his bonds and escape was my suggestion.
Cool. :)

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I hope you post a thread on here so others can join in. I'd like to re-read those too, missed a lot of the later ones.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

leonmallett wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:58:15 pm
Awesome.

In Archer & Armstrong #1, Mary-Maria giving Archer the journal was also my suggestion.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:42:13 pm
I hope you post a thread on here so others can join in. I'd like to re-read those too, missed a lot of the later ones.
Definitely.

aj583
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior V1 Version
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by aj583 »

I recently started re-reading the 2012 runs of X-O and A&A with my son via the deluxe hcs. Have totally enjoyed them. He’s 10 and really loves the humor in the Van Lente run. He doesn’t always get all the more subtle jokes…lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

aj583 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:40:06 pm I recently started re-reading the 2012 runs of X-O and A&A with my son via the deluxe hcs. Have totally enjoyed them. He’s 10 and really loves the humor in the Van Lente run. He doesn’t always get all the more subtle jokes…lol.

Nice.

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

aj583 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:40:06 pm I recently started re-reading the 2012 runs of X-O and A&A with my son via the deluxe hcs. Have totally enjoyed them. He’s 10 and really loves the humor in the Van Lente run. He doesn’t always get all the more subtle jokes…lol.

That's pretty cool. My boys liked comics a little but they liked anime even more so ...
My oldest had the Quesada X-O poster on his bedroom wall for quite a few years though.
***Support your local farmers!***

aj583
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior V1 Version
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by aj583 »

My son likes reading Valiant with me, but he’s never picked it up on his own. I give all sorts of my back issues (he likes X-O, TMNTs), but it never seems to stick. He more enjoys chapter books which is a good thing I think! We just got through the X-O Unity arc and he was really into the team taking down Aric.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

aj583 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:06:10 am My son likes reading Valiant with me, but he’s never picked it up on his own. I give all sorts of my back issues (he likes X-O, TMNTs), but it never seems to stick. He more enjoys chapter books which is a good thing I think! We just got through the X-O Unity arc and he was really into the team taking down Aric.

Cool.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Ryan wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:42:13 pm
:thumb:

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

It was an awesome run from FVL.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:50:30 pm
Awesome.

In Archer & Armstrong #1, Mary-Maria giving Archer the journal was also my suggestion.
Also cool. :)

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

leonmallett wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:09:09 am
ManofTheAtom wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:50:30 pm
Awesome.

Also cool. :)
Thanks.