Speculation: Bad Idea is doing Solar Man of the Atom

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

syzhang28
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Speculation: Bad Idea is doing Solar Man of the Atom

Post by syzhang28 »

Bad Idea announced a comic yesterday called The Destroyer. It looks very cool and people are pretty focused on how cool it looks. But, I see a few things that makes me think they are doing Solar (or at least their version of Solar). Some evidence:

1. The comic is named THE DESTROYER. Solar was previously named Solar the Destroyer. Dinesh would definitely know that and would have at best named the comic despite this information. I think it is possible he named it because of this.

2. Dinesh has done this before. Divinity was the Solar replacement at VEI. It was a cool take that didn't just copy Solar but added to it and that comic did well for them. He might be thinking its a good idea to do that again.

3. Here's a quote from the description Bad Idea gives of the story "Play dice with the gods and everyone loses." Where have we heard that line before? Solar #1. That can't be a coincidence.

4. The story seems to be about someone with a red suit who has radiation powers and is fighting a version of himself that is inside of him and is trying to get out. That's also Solar, Man of the Atom's first few years of stories.

5. The cover is reminiscent of Solar, Man of the Atom #3

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
Re: Speculation: Bad Idea is doing Solar Man of the Atom

Post by ManofTheAtom »

:hm:
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

I've been saying that for over a year now. You don't need the licenses to do these characters. Just make it different enough, it's not like Solar wasn't also a derivative of other atomic/nuclear powered characters.

It's actually better to do your own version, so that way you own everything. For example Divinity didn't need to be owned by Valiant, since it was an original concept, and yet now they (the Divinity creators) don't even have the rights to their own character.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Ryan wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:45:34 pm I've been saying that for over a year now. You don't need the licenses to do these characters. Just make it different enough, it's not like Solar wasn't also a derivative of other atomic/nuclear powered characters.

It's actually better to do your own version, so that way you own everything. For example Divinity didn't need to be owned by Valiant, since it was an original concept, and yet now they (the Divinity creators) don't even have the rights to their own character.
From the panels I remember from the time (memory is shaky though) Dinesh and Warren had the initial idea and name and then gave it to Matt Kindt to writer. Kindt then created the story from that. All were paid by Valiant.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

syzhang28 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:03:33 pm
Ryan wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:45:34 pm I've been saying that for over a year now. You don't need the licenses to do these characters. Just make it different enough, it's not like Solar wasn't also a derivative of other atomic/nuclear powered characters.

From the panels I remember from the time (memory is shaky though) Dinesh and Warren had the initial idea and name and then gave it to Matt Kindt to writer. Kindt then created the story from that. All were paid by Valiant.
Yeah, it's work for hire, nothing wrong with that. But now let's say DMG makes a Divinity movie, they wouldn't get anything from that (unless it was in their contract or something). My point is it's better to own your creations.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:09:57 pm
syzhang28 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:03:33 pm

Yeah, it's work for hire, nothing wrong with that. But now let's say DMG makes a Divinity movie, they wouldn't get anything from that (unless it was in their contract or something). My point is it's better to own your creations.
Hivemind should secure the film rights for all VALIANT characters. Hivemind should produce the VALIANT Cinematic Universe.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

I went and checked. It's exactly the same line. That has to be on purpose.

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

This is cool. I wish a Bad Idea destination store in my state. I've done the mail order for the last two waves, but I'm skipping this round of books and will buy on the aftermarket when I can.

Loved all the books so far though and I'm sure this will be just as awesome.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

syzhang28 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:53:01 pm I went and checked. It's exactly the same line. That has to be on purpose.

This line was MOTAs signature for many years. I guess they do read the boards and they don't hate Shooter as much as you do :lol:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:16:25 pm
syzhang28 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:53:01 pm I went and checked. It's exactly the same line. That has to be on purpose.

This line was MOTAs signature for many years. I guess they do read the boards and they don't hate Shooter as much as you do :lol:
:lol:

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

As soon as I read THE DESTROYER i was thinking the same thing....

....they're doing their own version of Solar now.

Erik Storm(br)inger is very original as well! :lol:

Not sure why they don't dare calling him Phil Storminger? It would keep his initials intact - P.S. ---- E.S., of course, could stand for Embedded System, Enhanced Security, Engineering Science, Error Source, Energy Saver, and many more.... or nothing at all.

The most intriguing thing about this announcement is the preview pages from Alberto Ponticelli.

slack
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: pre-Unity 90's
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger (Dysart)
Favorite writer: tough choice
Favorite artist: ?

Post by slack »

possumgrease wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:11:38 pm This is cool. I wish a Bad Idea destination store in my state. I've done the mail order for the last two waves, but I'm skipping this round of books and will buy on the aftermarket when I can.
Don't bother.
They could sell you comics normally, but instead, they choose to screw you into extra effort.

Their marketing strategy is to only make books available to a few people, in hopes of creating value through scarcity.
If they were truly confident in their product, they'd sell it in all stores, and create value through value.
Instead, they play stupid games with a niche audience who are drawn to being treated poorly in the name of exclusivity.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

slack wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:46:40 am If they were truly confident in their product, they'd sell it in all stores, and create value through value.
Instead, they play stupid games with a niche audience who are drawn to being treated poorly in the name of exclusivity.
So, instead doing of the Walmart/Amazon model for sales, they're trying to be Gucci, Prada, Kate Spade, Louis Vuitton, Versace, etc., and telling the Walmart crowd they don't want them?

I guess that only works if you're Gucci, Prada, Kate Spade, Louis Vuitton, Versace, and all the other companies who succeed doing the same thing.

Do $1,500 belts hold up pants better than $15 belts? :hm:

Exclusivity is an option. It doesn't work for every potential customer, so it's not surprising when it doesn't work for every potential customer.

slack

Post by slack »

greg wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:14:09 am
slack wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:46:40 am If they were truly confident in their product, they'd sell it in all stores, and create value through value.
So, instead doing of the Walmart/Amazon model for sales, they're trying to be Gucci, Prada, Kate Spade, Louis Vuitton, Versace, etc., and telling the Walmart crowd they don't want them?

I guess that only works if you're Gucci, Prada, Kate Spade, Louis Vuitton, Versace, and all the other companies who succeed doing the same thing.

Exclusivity is an option. It doesn't work for every potential customer, so it's not surprising when it doesn't work for every potential customer.
You're missing my point, or over-exaggerating it.

I didn't say they should sell comics through Amazon, Walmart, and everywhere with a cash register.

They should however, attempt to distribute to comic shops. That's how to get the comics in the hands of new fans.
Most shop owners want to run their comic shop like a comic shop... not have to follow special rules to carry a few books from a tiny publisher.

That's why MOST comic shops don't, won't or can't carry Bad Idea.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

slack wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:20:29 pm

I didn't say they should sell comics through Amazon, Walmart, and everywhere with a cash register.

They should however, attempt to distribute to comic shops. That's how to get the comics in the hands of new fans.
Most shop owners want to run their comic shop like a comic shop... not have to follow special rules to carry a few books from a tiny publisher.

You clearly know very little about them. Any interview they've done makes it very clear that they are doing this to get into more hands of people that ACTUALLY WANT TO READ. And that they prefer to deal with stores that are good stores. If you're too lazy to preorder then I think its for the best you don't read them lol. Also if they were into scarcity they wouldn't be giving comics away all the time and reprinting them for free as b sides. Do some research next time you have a hot take.

slack

Post by slack »

syzhang28 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:04:02 pm

You clearly know very little about them. Any interview they've done makes it very clear that they are doing this to get into more hands of people that ACTUALLY WANT TO READ. And that they prefer to deal with stores that are good stores. If you're too lazy to preorder then I think its for the best you don't read them lol. Also if they were into scarcity they wouldn't be giving comics away all the time and reprinting them for free as b sides. Do some research next time you have a hot take.
stick to your conspiracy theories.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Girls, stop fighting. You're both pretty.

greg

Post by greg »

I think you missed my point. Bad Idea clearly doesn't want their books in every comic shop. Just like Gucci doesn't want their items in every store that sells clothing. If the sales model is to create true exclusivity, then Bad Idea could sell to only who they want for whatever price they want. But that's not what Bad Idea is doing either. They're in between Gucci and Walmart. They don't charge $50 for brand new books, they don't limit which shops can sign up (like Gucci), but they're not in every shop (like Walmart) either. If that doesn't work for you, they don't care. Why would they? If it doesn't work for anyone anywhere, they might care. If it doesn't work for some people somewhere... well... that was the plan. But it's not like they don't have a way to pre-order the books from a shop that does carry them. If you can't walk in your local shop (Walmart) and get them, yeah, that's a pain. But they chose it just like Gucci has chosen not to sell items in Walmart.

slack

Post by slack »

greg wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:01:39 pm

I think you missed my point. Bad Idea clearly doesn't want their books in every comic shop. Just like Gucci doesn't want their items in every store that sells clothing. If the sales model is to create true exclusivity, then Bad Idea could sell to only who they want for whatever price they want. But that's not what Bad Idea is doing either. They're in between Gucci and Walmart. They don't charge $50 for brand new books, they don't limit which shops can sign up (like Gucci), but they're not in every shop (like Walmart) either. If that doesn't work for you, they don't care. Why would they? If it doesn't work for anyone anywhere, they might care. If it doesn't work for some people somewhere... well... that was the plan. But it's not like they don't have a way to pre-order the books from a shop that does carry them. If you can't walk in your local shop (Walmart) and get them, yeah, that's a pain. But they chose it just like Gucci has chosen not to sell items in Walmart.
facepalm

How many people frequent comic shops that have no interest in jumping through Bad Idea hoops? Many of those customers will never even know Bad Idea exists.

They say you miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take. There's a lot of shops they miss sales in, simply because many shops won't be told they have to refuse to sell books. (not allowing shops to sell more than one copy per person means refusing sales)

greg

Post by greg »

slack wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:21:25 pm facepalm

How many people frequent comic shops that have no interest in jumping through Bad Idea hoops? Many of those customers will never even know Bad Idea exists.

They say you miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take. There's a lot of shops they miss sales in, simply because many shops won't be told they have to refuse to sell books. (not allowing shops to sell more than one copy per person means refusing sales)
How many ways does it have to be said?

BAD IDEA DOESN'T WANT EVERYONE TO BE ABLE TO GET THEIR BOOKS

That's their model. They don't want their books in every comic shop. They don't want every comic reader to have their books. Those are goals that won't work anyway.

You don't like their model, and they don't care. You can complain over and over, but I'm not sure why VALIANTFANS.COM is where you have chosen to complain. They don't care about you. They aren't keeping you from getting the books. Pre-order them. You just prefer complaining. DO IT ELSEWHERE.

Valiant fans talk about Valiant here. They don't complain about Bad Idea here. That's not why I pay the hosting fees. You and Dan Nitzani should start a He-Man-Bad-Idea-Hater's Club. I'm sure the domain is available. Your club of two people is definitely going to do big things in the comic industry with whining. Just make sure it's on the right domain. This isn't it.

For the record, I have never purchased a Bad Idea comic that hasn't already been out for months, which I bought in a group of books. I don't care that I can't easily get them when they're new. I'll get them when I get them. I have zero nostalgia for Bad Idea. They didn't exist when I was growing up. I collect things that matter to me, things I wanted when I was a kid... nothing about Bad Idea fits my collecting goals. Not once have I complained ON MY OWN WEBSITE about Bad Idea, so I'm not sure why you want to do it here.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I love the books, but my shop stopped carrying them. I could drive two hours to get them, but I don’t have that time.

The variants are perplexing. I can’t figure them all out.

I do love the stories, but k think I’ll be ordering them on eBay as they are too difficult to chase.

I’m cool with that.

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

And yes, to what Greg said.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

greg wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:32:01 pm You and Dan Nitzani should start a He-Man-Bad-Idea-Hater's Club. I'm sure the domain is available. Your club of two people is definitely going to do big things in the comic industry with whining. Just make sure it's on the right domain. This isn't it.
I tried to reason with Nitzani over on the Facebook page for either Bad Idea or VALIANT, I forget which. It was impossible.

I'd have better luck convincing Chiclo that Armstrong's satchel is a tesseract from the 41st Century Ivar gifted him on his birthday in the distant past.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

There has been very little Sliders discussion on this thread on slidersfans.com.

Sent from my Pixel Fold using Tapatalk

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

lorddunlow wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:37:19 am There has been very little Sliders discussion on this thread on slidersfans.com.

Sent from my Pixel Fold using Tapatalk
:lol: